Rising Love, Sinking City

By IrinaCastillo

Back in the sixteenth century, Anna Caterina didn´t live a normal life. Trained to kill every day by her uncl... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5

Chapter 1

259 3 2
By IrinaCastillo

To everyone reading this, I just want to tell you that I really appreciate it. I really hope you like this story. If you have any kind of feedback, please tell me. If you like it, please vote in the chapters. I want to tell you that I won´t hold this story hostage for votes. I also want to thank all my friends, especially Becca March. She has been a great help and a great friend. You´re all amazing! I dedicate this story to you, my readers!

“And suddenly, like light in darkness, the real truth broke in upon me…”

-Ernst Toller-

PREFACE

Routine. Easy. Killing had become such a simple thing for me. Of course, I knew it the job I did was for a greater good. I was sent by my uncle to kills rapists, scammers, and basically, all the scum in Venezia. People like this shouldn't exist. People like my father. I thought this was just another day. Certainly, I was wrong.

CHAPTER ONE

By Irina Castillo

Copy Right 2012 - All Rights Reserved

Serenissima Repubblica di Venezia (Venice),

March, 1563

Anna Caterina's POV:

I woke up to the sunrise. The familiar sound of merchants selling in the Piazza San Marco started to build and rang through the streets of Venezia. There was uproar, caused by merchants in the hope to get the people to buy their products. The scents of fruits and flowers filled my room. Getting up from my bed, I walked over to the big window with luxurious carvings. Coming from the Grimani family, luxury was conventional and ordinary. Even though I could have had a room filled with expensive paintings and adorned with decorations made of precious metals, I chose a simple, modest room, yet significant in size.

Uncle Lorenzo and I lived in the Palazzo Ducale, right in front of the Piazzia San Marco. This palazzo is the home of the government in Venezia. Uncle Lorenzo is one of the six members of the Minor Consiglio. Their job is to advise Girolamo Pruili, the actual Doge of the Serenissima Repubblica di Venezia. The Doge is the most powerful man in all Venezia and he dictates all the orders and commands to rule the city. While immersed in my thoughts, I watched as the merchants sold eagerly their products and the boats of the sailors drifted through the river. 

After a few minutes, Bianca entered my room. Bianca has been my nurse since Uncle Lorenzo adopted me. My parents are both dead. My mother, Francesca, died while giving birth to me. Due to the loss, my father went crazy. He was reckless and foolish and he eventually became a rebel and a murderer. He was charged of homicide and treachery against the Serenissima Repubblica di Venezia. He killed three of the leading counselors of the Minor Consiglio and attempted unsuccessfully to kill my uncle, and therefore he became a traitor. My father disgraced our family.

My uncle speaks greatly about her sister. Beneath the fierceness and the power of my uncle, I can see the hurt and the sadness in his eyes as he speaks of her. Even thought my uncle Lorenzo and my mother were polar opposites, they cared very much for each other.

“Good morning, Anna” Bianca called cheerfully as she gracefully entered my room.

Even though Bianca is married to Bartolomeo, a well-known merchant, she could never have kids. She always said to me that she believes I´m the daughter she could never have. She is very loving and has always cared for me since I can remember.

“Good morning” I said as I stared down the window

“Looking for pretty boys?” Bianca joked as she walked to the window. She already knew I had no interest in them. Boys are only a waste of time. I had to focus on my training. I was trained to fight and kill. I had to slay people like my father, who attempt against the well-being of this city. They were criminals and traitors and had to be killed because their actions had gone too far. I trust my uncle and he always says that he never chooses death for this people, but there´s no other choice.

“You already know my answer” I said laughing.

As soon as I said that, a boat came into view, approaching my window. In it, was a boy, handling ropes and talking to the captain. He was dressed in a white shirt that accentuated his body and his pants were rolled up. He looked like he was blond and he was evidently handsome. He must have felt that I was watching him and he looked up. His gaze, send chills through my skin, something I had never experienced before. I just dropped my gaze and I could feel the blush staring up my cheeks.

“How about that boy?” Bianca asked with a hint of excitement as soon as she saw the expression on my face.

“Hmmm… I don´t think so. He´s not that handsome… In fact, he isn´t pretty at all” I lied unsuccessfully

“Mmhmm….” She said

“What?” I asked trying to appear absentminded

Bianca laughed as she walked to my big boudoir. She grabbed copper knob and opened the drawer, taking a towel and a brush.

“Nothing, I believe you. Go get a bath, Anna” she said as she walked me to the bathroom and handed me the towel. 

"I´m going out for a while. I have to run some errands. I´ll be back in a few!” she said as a wide grin stretched across her face.

As soon as I got in the tub, I heard the door close and her hurried footsteps across the floor.

Bianca´s POV:

“I´m such a good liar! I can´t believe she bought it!” I thought as I made my way to exit the Palazzo Ducale.

I walked fast, at the edge of running. I didn´t want to take too long or Anna Caterina would notice. I was going to go see my accomplice in crime, Nicola. She is Anna´s best friend and we like to call her Colleta.

I knocked quickly on Colleta´s door and she had a shocked look on her face as she opened the door.

“What?! What?!” Colleta said

“It´s happened!” I said, knowing she would understand. We have been waiting for this very long, since Anna has never taken interest in boys. Even though, I had faith that someday Anna would find someone that made her feel loved.

“NO WAY! Who is him?” Colleta yelled in happiness

“Hi is a sailor boy that cruised by the Palazzo… I saw it in her face, she blushed! She even denied it! I even saw the way he looked at her! It was amazing!”

“Look, this is the plan…I´m going to go dress her up as pretty as I can. You get ready and we will go to the central market. He has to be there” I explained quickly, as my time shortened

“Okay! See you” Colleta yelled as I walked rapidly through the streets.

Anna Caterina´s POV:

“I´m back!” Bianca said as she chose my outfit. I knew that roaming through my closet and dressing me up like her doll made Bianca very happy.

I took a long time bathing, since I couldn´t stop thinking about that boy. I loved the way his hair moved with the wind. And how his muscles flexed as he carried boxes throughout the boat. And his perfect smile. Or how his laugh roared all the way to my window. Ahh…

“No, this can´t be happening. My training is more important and it requires my whole attention” I thought, as I focused on reviewing all my techniques and moves. However, that mysterious boy made his way into my head over and over again.

After finishing, I walked to my room. Bianca had already laid out the clothes on my bed. She had chosen a green dress, her favorite one. She said I looked stunning in that dress. I wondered why she had chosen that one. After a while, Bianca entered my room. Taking the brush, she started combing and braiding my hair into my daily braid. Then she decorated my hair with flowers woven into my braid. Bianca adored my hair, since it was golden and it extended all the way to the end of my back. Many people used to watch me walking down the street, with awe or jealousy in their expressions. I just ignored them. I knew my hair was pretty, but I just thought it was ridiculous of them to stare that way. We laugh at other girls that spread their hair through the windows, hoping to get their hair golden colored. Bianca said my hair was special and beautiful. She said my hair was exactly as she remembered my mother´s. Today, she took longer dressing me up than usual.

 “She´s up to something. I just know it” I thought as Bianca got me ready.

Like every day, we ate breakfast together. I have known Bianca my whole life and I know everyone of her expressions. I knew she was hiding something and I was about to interrogate her.

“What is it?” I finally asked.

“Nothing… I was just wondering if you wanted to go with me and Colleta to buy some stuff and visit Bartolomeo at the market” Bianca asked

“Of course, I would love to! But we have to be here early, because…”

“I know, you have your training…” she barged in

“You sure that is all?” I asked doubtfully

“Mmmm… Yes” she smiled

We exited the Palazzo Ducale, located in the heart of Venezia. It was a sunny day and the Basilica di San Marco, the principal church of Venezia, located next to the Palazzo Ducale, looked extraordinary today.

In the way, we passed to get my best friend Colleta. We are completely different. She is an outgoing person, with a sparkly and happy personality. She tends to yell a lot, but with her personality she makes me relax and loosen up a bit.

I heard her laughing a few feets away from her house. When we reached her house, she was giving food to her brother.

“Hi, Anna! Come in! I´m almost finished right here! Stop it, Gian! I´m in a hurry!” she said while laughing

Giovanni smiled and continued laughing. We entered Colleta´s house, which was very small and modest. Her father was a fisherman and they didn´t have the same living conditions we had, but they were still happy.

Her mother had just entered the house when she finished giving Gian his meal.

“Mom, I´m was just leaving. I´ll be back soon!” Colleta yelled as she dragged us out of her house into the Venetian streets.

“But you didn´t even let me say hi….” I reproached

“Ugh! I was tired of being in my house! I had to go out” She said while making exaggerated hand gestures. Why were we even in such a hurry?

“Okay” I laughed. Colleta was a very extroverted person. People just loved her. I was used to being overshadowed by her, but it was fine with me. I´m not really a fan of attention.

We walked for a while and then we were approaching the sea. I just loved the way it smelled, it was amazing. We had arrived to the central market and we separated. I turned to look and there I saw him, that sailor boy that caught my eye earlier, watching me. I already knew what Bianca´s plan was. I knew I looked dazzling. I could see it in his expression.

(If you liked this chapter, please vote! Thanks!)

Continue Reading