Swept Away (The Swept Away Sa...

By TheQueensofRomance

From Kamery Solomon, #1 bestselling genre author and creator of the bestselling series The God Chronicles, co... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Acknowledgments

Chapter Forty-One

4.5K 204 4
By TheQueensofRomance

In the months that followed at sea, it seemed that everyone was worried over the pirates that had burned the port to the ground. The rest of the men didn't know why it had happened, or who had done it, and it wasn't sitting well with any of them. We seized four ships in the time it took to reach Tortuga, and, in each instance, we kept looking over our shoulders, waiting for the bloodthirsty brutes to show up and torch us.

As the town came into view, obviously safe from destruction, there was a collective sigh heard from everyone on board.

"Home is safe," a man next to me muttered. "Thank the heavens. I was fearful we'd find her in shambles. Do ye think they heard about what happened?"

"We might be the first ship to bring the news," I replied. "I'm sorry, did you say this was your home?"

"Aye," he answered, grinning widely, his gums showing signs of scurvy. "Every pirate's home! I pray that if I finally fall under the sword or hangman's noose, the Lord sends me back here instead of to heaven!"

"I'll hope so, too," I laughed.

"We'll depart by order of rank!" John Butler yelled over the din of excitement. "Get the ship in to port, perform yer duties well, and we'll all be ashore in no time!"

The men jumped into action, clearly wanting to go ashore, but I made my way to the railing, marveling at the hue of the water and the island itself. Everything was alight with color, like someone had snapped a picture and cranked up the density.

"We won't stay long," Tristan said from behind me, causing me to turn. "If Thomas is attempting to steal the treasure, he won't do it just from port. He'll go straight to the island and tear it apart if he has to."

"What are you going to do when we finally catch him?" I asked, swallowing hard. The expression on his face was answer enough and I looked away, sick to my stomach suddenly.

"Do ye not agree that it needs to be done?" he questioned, brushing my hair from my back and over my shoulder.

"I do," I laughed humorlessly. "That's what makes me feel so sick. It's not my place to decide his fate, but here I am, doing just that."

"Sometimes, one man must lose his life for the good of the rest, aye?" He spoke softly, leaning up against the railing next to me and watching the crew. "Evil can not be left unattended and expected to remain contained."

"What will happen if he gets what he wants? If he digs up the treasure and takes it?" I was trying to remain quiet, watching for anyone who might be listening too closely, but my voice caught some, causing me to cough and draw attention to us.

Waiting to answer, Tristan spoke with one of the crewmates, asking about his shore leave plans. "We won't tarry long," he told him. "Make sure the other men know."

"Aye, Captain," the man stated, returning to his duties as the ship sailed into the harbor.

"There are things down there that could destroy the earth and every being on it." Tristan's voice was calm, despite the heaviness of his words. "We must do everything we can to stop him."

Nodding, I pushed away from the rail, kissing him gently on the cheek before I went to the galley to help Alfonso with whatever he needed.

"Señorita," he said in surprise at my appearance. "I thought you would be staying above with el capitán."

"I always come and help you," I laughed. "It's my job, remember?"

"," he replied uncertainly. "It's just—I know something is wrong, señorita. The whole crew does. What happened before is not sitting well with them. You are privy to the information, no?"

Hesitating, I considered telling him the truth, but didn't know what repercussions would come from it. Finally, deciding that he could be trusted with this as well, I leaned in, whispering quietly. "Thomas Randall did it."

"No!" He leaned back, shocked. "Are you certain?"

"His name was carved into one of the . . . victims," I replied sourly.

"I knew he was bad, but to do something like this? I never would have imagined it. Capitán means to catch him, then?"

"Yes." I drummed my fingers on the counter, looking around again. "Don't tell anyone, Alfonso. He may be here, if he came the same direction as us. I think Tristan wants to look for him himself. He's already said that we won't be staying long, because we have to find him if he's not here."

"I will search while I'm getting supplies," he said, nodding furiously. "You must stay on the ship, señorita. We already know that he doesn't like you. Let's not give him an opportunity to snatch you up as well."

Opening my mouth to protest, I suddenly realized that I agreed with him. I didn't want to go anywhere near Thomas Randall, or even near a place that he might be. He had routinely used me to get Tristan riled up. The last thing my husband needed was for me to get carried off and killed. "I will," I sighed.

Smiling, he muttered something in Spanish, making the sign of the cross over my head. "May God protect us all," he prayed.

"Amen."

The anchor splashed into the water then and I knew we'd successfully landed in Tortuga. Everyone was hurrying in a flurry of activity, concentrating on their tasks to make it to shore sooner. Moving back above deck, I joined Tristan at the railing again, resting my head on his shoulder.

"I saw a video that took place here, in part," I said quietly. Everyone was so busy that I had no fear of being overheard and Tristan seemed to agree.

"Did you, then?" He paused in his duties, amused. "Was it as beautiful then as it is now?"

"It was a set," I explained. "For a pirate movie. It showed women dancing on the balconies, rum flowing off the roof into men's glasses. It was one giant whore house, to be honest." I laughed, remembering the movie with fondness.

"This is no set," he chuckled. "But I imagine ye'd find those things here as well."

"Alfonso wants me to stay on board while you look for Randall," I spoke, changing the subject.

"I agree. Adam will stay with ye and make sure no harm comes to ye."

"You are going to look for him?" I asked uneasily.

"Aye. I'll be back tonight, lass. Don't worry about me. I'll have the others along as well."

In their excitement, the men were able to leave the ship much earlier than normal, due to the haste at which they'd readied everything.

"Be back on deck by eight tomorrow!" John was yelling as the boats lowered. "Morning! Not evening!"

Tristan, dressed in his black pants, white shirt, and long black jacket with the gold buttons, appeared from the Captain's Quarter's slinging his sword and pistol around his waist. He paused by me for a moment, giving me a swoon worthy kiss, and then climbed over the rail.

"Watch her well, Adam," he said sternly.

"Aye, Captain," he replied wholeheartedly.

Soon, the ship was empty, save us and those left to keep guard, and I settled down on the steps leading into the pit, wondering what evils we would be facing in the near future.

"Mum?"

Glancing toward the sound, I saw Adam stationed in the middle of the gun deck, a sword in each hand. He was smiling teasingly, but there was a seriousness to the way he stood that held my attention.

"I was thinking, ye sort of know yer way around a knife, but I've never seen ye handle a sword."

"That's because I don't really know how to," I confessed. "The only time I had to use one was when I fought John, and I'm pretty sure everyone could tell I had no idea what I was doing."

"Come here," he stated, motioning me over. "I'll teach ye a bit. It can't hurt to know some, just in case. Besides, Captain said he thought it would be a good way to pass the time."

"He did, did he?" I asked, amused. "All right then. Show me what you can." Rising, I moved down the steps and joined him, taking the weapon he offered me.

It was slow going, much like my previous instruction in blades, but after about an hour, I seemed to be grasping it.

"Don't hold it over yer head like that," one of the watchmen stated, he and the other guards offering advice every now and then. "It'll take too long to get back down and ye'll end up shark bait."

"Thanks," I replied, out of breath. Sweat was dripping into my eyes and I brushed it away, trying to focus on what I was learning.

Adam stabbed toward me again once I'd lowered the blade some, and I managed to avert his attack, spinning out of the way and dealing a blow of my own. He easily deflected it, having instructed me on what to do should I manage to block him.

"Yer doing well," he encouraged me. "Now, watch yer footwork with this one."

Going on, he went through the steps very slowly, watching as I copied him. Once I would have it perfect in slow motion, we sped things up, eventually working the moves into a type of choreographed play.

"When ye attack, ye have to do so forcefully," Adam coached. "Otherwise yer going to have used all yer energy and yer opponent will only have scratches to show for it. Put yer whole weight in it. Mind ye, don't lose yer balance, though."

We continued on, my muscles starting to beg for relief, but I pushed through, feeling like I would need to defend myself very soon if we came across Thomas Randall. I'd beaten him before, and he'd gotten his revenge in his own way. It didn't work out the way he wanted, and I was sure that he would try and end me himself if we ever came across each other.

"Pirates don't fight fair," Adam said a while later, looking at me lying on my back, the wind knocked out of me. "Ye shouldn't either. If ye see a window, jump through it, aye? Otherwise yer opponent will jump through it at ye."

This prompted a very graphic retelling from one of the guards and we all stopped to listen. It left me wondering if I would ever be able to muster the strength to get up and try again. Adam, noticing my reluctance, laughed and offered me a hand, pulling me to my feet.

"Rest now, mum," he ordered. "Ye've done good work."

"Thank you," I mumbled, immediately thinking of my bed, waiting just out of reach. "I'm going to get some water. Would you like some?"

"Captain coming!" someone yelled, and I climbed the stairs with renewed interest, leaving the sword with Adam.

"Did you find him?" I yelled to Tristan, leaning over the railing as they approached.

"All hands on deck!" he shouted back. "The entire crew is coming aboard, get the anchor up!"

Looking past him, I could indeed see the men running to the long boats, shouting amongst themselves. I couldn't understand what was being said, but I immediately had the impression that we were about to go on a manhunt.

The long boat came alongside and Jacob's Ladder was thrown down to them, Tristan climbing up first.

"The entire island is in a fit looking for Randall," he said breathlessly, moving past me as he shed his jacket. "He was here with his crew yesterday. They robbed one of the villages just south of this place and killed three of the brothel women. The seller here has put a bounty on his head, but he left before anyone could catch him, from a cove not far off."

"Are you sure?" I asked, hurrying after him.

"I went to the village myself and questioned the survivors. He left just after midnight, heading north."

"The men heard about the bounty and wanted to jump on the chance," John said, coming up onto the deck from below. "We should be ready to leave in a matter of minutes, Captain."

"Wait, did you say he has a crew?" I asked, my head trying to catch up with the latest developments after being so thoroughly worn out from my training.

"Yes." Shoving the doors to our room open, Tristan threw his coat on the bed, practically running to the maps spread out across the desk. "Get James in here," he said to John, dragging his finger over the markings.

"I don't understand. Where did he even get a ship to captain?"

The men were climbing aboard now, shouting in excitement and glee, ready for a hunt that meant more than just money to them. They knew Randall. They might have even guessed that he was the one who burned the port. It was clear they wanted to bring him in themselves.

"He left on one from Madagascar," Tristan said absentmindedly. "I'm assuming that somewhere between there and our massacred port, he became captain."

"Aye, Captain?" James appeared in the doorway, a steeled look to his face.

"Which way would he take out of these two, James?" Tristan beckoned him closer, pointing to the maps.

They conferred for a moment and I stepped outside, moving up the stairs and out into the open air, my breath taken away from all of it. Things were moving at a rapid pace, long boats getting hauled back out of the water, men loading guns and sharpening swords as the anchor was raised and the sails unfurled.

"Get to yer stations!" John roared over all of it, screaming so ferociously that spit was flying from his mouth as he ordered them around.

Tristan and James emerged from the room and started yelling orders as well, the ship rocking as we began to catch the wind and move out of port. Stopping beside me, Tristan looked out over it all and then up at the sky.

"This is it," he said. "We're going to catch thebloody bastard!"  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.6K 1.4K 51
Astrid is an artist who creates incredible masterpieces inspired by her dreams and visions from her vivid imagination. But lacking memories of her li...
437K 25.1K 46
π’πœπžπ§π­ 𝐎𝐟 π‹π¨π―πžγ€’ππ² π₯𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐑𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐒𝐞𝐬 γ€ˆπ›π¨π¨π€ 1〉 π‘Άπ’‘π’‘π’π’”π’Šπ’•π’†π’” 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒕 β˜†|| 𝑺𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒂 𝑴�...
19K 647 14
Princess Ariana has been in love with her best friend Coby since they were little children. The only problem is, he has always loved her as a sister...
421 78 34
..." Cursed dragon blood shall reap death, torment and pain in her wake but by a single choice, peace, unity and harmony is not far behind"... Salem...