Tangled Knots

By doppellganger

Elena blames herself. The night her abusive mother committed suicide, she wasted her last breaths blaming it... More

Preface | Tangled Knots
1 - Bloody Knuckles
2 - Hunger Pains
4 - Claustraphobia

3 - Batman Boxers

381 24 21
By doppellganger

The room was darkly lit.

I sat in a plastic chair with my hands clasped together behind my back. In front of me sat Detective Mason. His intimidating appearance gave me an unsettling feeling in my stomach, I couldn't find it in myself to trust him even though he told me I should.

"You have to give me the full story," He demanded. He was much larger than I was and old enough to be my dad. His dark circles under his eyes and dark persona made me wonder how much he'd seen working as a detective.

After I told everyone I supposedly killed my own mother, the police tasered me into getting into their car because I wouldn't go against my own will and Brent was brought inside with me. I just remembered that the pain was excruciating.

40 minutes later, we arrived at the police station, I was brought into a small room with cement walls and was ordered to tell them everything. And I did tell them everything, leaving out the part of my mother saying the horrible things about me. I felt too guilty to blame any of this on her. I couldn't help but remember who she was before the drugs. I wondered if she was still alive. Deep down, regardless, I really hoped she was. She was the most vile woman but nobody deserved to die.

"I already told you everything," I lied through my teeth to the detective.

"No, you didn't. Stop lying---you're hiding something. Alainna, you have to tell me, " He was quickly loosing his patience and it wasn't helping his chances of receiving honesty from me. He told me he could trust me multiple times already. But how can you trust a detective? Aren't I supposed to speak to a lawyer?

Angry now, I abruptly stood up. "I already told you. I'm guilty! Just let me rot in the stupid jail cell!"

He purses his lips and added, "Something doesn't add up. Why did you get angry at her? What made her mad at you? Who could possibly make someone kill themselves? Why?HOW? From your story, you're not guilty of anything," His jaw was ticking as he yelled and I seen the fury in his eyes. "All I have are questions. I need answers if you want my help!"

"I don't want your fucking help!" My voice vibrated throughout the room. My wounded cheek began to sting from my sudden outburst. I felt the tears burn my eyes.

He was about to open his mouth but frankly, I was sick of his screaming. "No-don't speak. You want to know what happened? Fine!" I then proceeded to tell him about the entire conversation, including the gruesome details on how Leslie smiled at me right before she died.

I was left sobbing. "I killed her, it was all my fault! I was a horrible daughter..If only I had listened.."

Detective Mason kept his face blank as I stopped crying. "Alainna," he said. "Do you still have your cell phone on you? If so, I'm going to need it for investigation."

I looked up at him. "Only if I can get out of this stupid room and talk to my father," He sighed but agreed. He took my handcuffs off then once I reluctantly handed him my cell-phone, he re-cuffed me. We exited to another room packed with busy security guards scurrying all over the place. Mason stood behind me as we walked out.

I tried to wipe my eyes with my shoulder but with the handcuffs, I couldn't. I walked towards my dad and Brent, who were sitting on plastic chairs in the hall. When I approached, both of their eyes filled with relief. "Alainna, can you tell me what the hell is going on?" My dad demanded.

"Didn't they tell you everything?" I asked, confused. At that moment, detective Mason called my father over. He stood up and shot me a worried look before walking past me to Mason.

I took a seat in the plastic chair beside Brent. He gave me a look, as if they were a thousand of wheels turning in his head, but said nothing.

I watched Mason speak to my dad, they looked as if they were whispering. Then he ushered him into another room. I sighed and leaned back into my chair, fiddling with a lose thread on my jean pocket. The silence between Brent and I became thick, and I just wished that he wouldn't ask questions. I was so exhausted and emotionally drained. I didn't want to talk.

"Hey," Brent says, after 10 minutes of silence. I turn to my right to look at him."I saved you the big-mac." Those were the first words to cut the tension. His first words after I have a crazy psycho breakdown, kill my mother, and get brought to the police station being accused of a crime. I looked at him, gaping, wondering how he could joke at a time like this.

"Are you shitting me?"

That made him crack a small smile. "No," He chuckles. "I am not 'shitting' you. I was going to save it for you the second you left for the bathroom but then, uh, yeah. That happened."

"You mean before I began a bat-shit crazy murderer?" I snorted. My face fell flat again. I had no energy to humour anyone.

"Well, I wouldn't put it that way." He said, dragging out the 'y'. "Oh, and you look like crap."

I rolled my eyes at him and glared. "Whatever." Stupid jerk. I thought girls 'dont eat bigmacs'.

We sat in silence until my dad came back. I watched the clock on the wall tick, although it made time go by even slower. I began eavesdropping on the faded background noise; the chattering of police officers and detectives. I then felt Brent gazing at me, if it wasn't for my drained state, I would've blushed.

"Okay thank you," I hear my dads voice, "I'll have to get the camera here by tomorrow morning correct?" My dad walked back into sight, Detective Mason by his side.

"Yes," Detective Mason responded. "As soon as we file all the paperwork, all we have left to do is search the house. Maybe we'll find something, but who knows; the house may be unfortunately all burnt down." My dad just nodded tightly.

"C'mon kiddo," My dad said when he reached me. "Detective Mason told me everything that happened. We're not going to talk about it. We're all going home." Exhausted, I nod. I was thankful he didn't want to talk about it any further.

Mason then walked behind me and removed the handcuffs off my arms, and gave me a small head shake. He shook hands with my father and spoke to him about a phone call. I immediately rubbed my wrists, I felt relief with them off.

We groggily made our way outside the station. The sky had darkened, the moon was rather large in the foggy sky. Exhaustion was obvious on my face as my lids threatened to drift closed as I walked. "How far away is your house?" I asked my dad as we entered Brent's car, which my dad had to get from the Mcdonalds parking lot.

"Our house," He corrected,"---Is in Toronto."

My eyes nearly bulged out of my eyes. "What the hell?" He gives me a look.

"Language, Alainna."

"Sorry," I grumbled. I wasn't used to watching my mouth around my mom. She always swore and so did I. "How are we getting there?"

Brent looked at me with a goofy smile, "We're taking a plane, first class. Provided by me." First class? Was this his way of cheering me up?

Although I was shocked, not having been on a plane since I was 6, I still had too much on my mind. Lazily, I jogged to catch up with my dad ahead of us. Thankfully, Brent hadn't followed. "Dad.." I began.

He slowed his pace and looked at me. "Yes?" He said softly.

"Is.. mom dead?" I asked toneless. None of it felt real. It felt like my worst nightmare, I was just waiting to wake up.

He tried to mask his sadness, but I caught it before he gave me a reassuring look. "Well, we don't know what that video was honey. You know that with the technology we have today, things aren't always how they appear and there's a good chance that she's still alive." He sounded like he was trying to convince himself more than he was trying to convince me. I just gave him a tight smile and nodded. I didn't reply.

_________________________________________________

We arrived at the airport and I was thankful to have Brent buy us first class seats. We had so many food choices, free wifi and complimentary blankets.

I dozed off for about two hours, I awoke to Brent's snores. I had the window seat and he was on my left, my dad was a few rows ahead of us---probably watching his tv show on the mini tv.

I was irritated that he woke me up, but I too tired to be pissed off so I shut my eyes and attempted to sleep again. I was awoken by his snoring again.

Brent's mouth was open and his head was dropped back, facing the ceiling of the plane. I didn't bother trying to sleep a third time. He looked uncomfortable, I sighed. ''Brentttt," I sang, poking him in the ribs. He switched positions and rolled on his side, facing me.

"Brent, wake up!" I whisper-shouted, becoming impatient with him.

He grunted. "Don't let the ogers out," He muttered half-asleep and fell asleep again---full-on snoring now.

I rolled my eyes and let him sleep, at least he was in a more comfortable position. I put my sleeping mask on and tried to at least rest my eyes.

Laying there, I thanked God first. It could've been worse, I mean, I didn't need any stitches other than on my head and my mom didn't hit me hard enough to actually puncture me. I just had a really bruised face, which yes, people stared at but I was thankful I was alive and in safe hands with my dad. Oh and for the stupid kid snoring beside me, he was the one to bring me to the hospital.

As I dozed off, I tried to keep the image of the video out of my head. I pushed all thoughts of my mother away before I had another panic attack on this plane.

Brent smiled at me. "C'mon." He said. He took my hand and led me into a dark room. I could only see the shine of his eyes through the small crack of light peering through the door..

"What is it that you wanted me to see?" I asked, giggling.

He flickered on the lights. The floor shined as if it were made of glass, thousands of sparkling Christmas light hung from the walls, rose petals scattered the floor, the walls we're a rich creamy white colour, and, at the very end of this ballroom, was a patio.

"It's gorgeous," I breathe.

"Yeah," He agreed. "But, not as gorgeous as you." He turned me around to face the largest mirror on the wall and I gasped.

We both looked like we stepped out of a seventies film, coming out of a royal dance. I wore a dress that was a dark blue, the top a corset and it came out at my waist, puffing out like Cinderella's gown. I took off my feathery masquerade mask to reveal my sparkly eyes, my eyelashes were thick and long, I sported a cat's eye and a dark red lip. My hair was HUGE. Tight spiraled curls were pulled back in a huge loose bun, a few pieces of hair falling in front of my face.

I turned to him. He glanced at me with an odd look in his eye and grinned, I felt like a million bucks. He was looking at me like I was the only woman in the world, and I looked at him like he was the only man. His dark eyes inspected me. He was wearing a tux and man, he really looked amazing. The most attractive guy I've ever seen. His thick locks we're combed, parting his hair in such a way, it made me think bad, bad, things. His tanned skin looked like a rich copper under the faint lights and I felt the urge to kiss him.

He wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me close to him. Even with heels on, he was much taller than me. He gazed down at me, and licked his lips. The temptation... I wanted to reach up and just kiss him already. "Mon cherie," he whispers in my ear. I giggled at his fake French accent. Then he looks at me again. " Oh, how I want to kiss you." He says, in a low voice.

"I never objected."

He looks at me with all seriousness, "You know why I cannot," He sighed and took a step back, the moment was ruined.

"Well why not?" I was upset now.

"Oh my dear Elena," He said, softly shaking his head. "Because of her."

I looked at him confused as he continued, "I will come back for you and you will... be mine." Then he turned around and walked out the door.

"Narwhales, Narwhales, swimming in the ocean!" I awoke to horrible singing. I slipped the sleeping mask off my eyes and turned to the source of it--Brent. When I glared at him, he spoke "Sup?" He grinned.

Dazed, I thought about what the hell I just dreamt about. What's wrong with you? I internally screamed at myself. I was confused... why would I dream about him? Why couldn't he kiss me? Who was ''her''? And lastly, I was confused at to why I wanted him to kiss me.

I eyed him, and felt myself blush, praying he didn't somehow know what I actually just dreamt about. "Dork," I laughed shakily, playing it off cool.

"Hey, I got you to finally wake up. C'mon princess, we've landed." I glanced out the window to find that he was right. The plane was already on the ground, slowly rolling towards the airport. Then I looked back at this handsome stranger grinning at me. I momentarily forget all about the reason I was here in the first place.

|||| t a n g l e d ♦ k n o t s ||

"Holy crap dad. Are you made of money?" The house was huge. Back in New York, we lived in an average 2 bedroom house. Sure, to me it was home. That's because it was my only home, and now its burned down. I pushed the bad thoughts to the back of my head.

"Pfft, this is nothing hun." My dad says. "Have you seen the white house?" He laughed and unlocked the car. I rolled my eyes at his lame dad joke. I got out and eyed the house. I definitely wasn't used to this. The house was made out of sandy bricks and pavement made out of grey stone. There were two garage doors on the left, and there was a huge front porch, two stone pillars on the front of the patio, attached with railings. The house looked brand new.

"Let me get that for you." I hear Brent say as he helps my dad with carrying all my luggages and boxes that filled the back of his truck.

"Oh you don't have to," I say, wondering why he was being so nice to me.

"I insist," suddenly I thought of my dream from earlier and I blushed again. I was getting real tired of blushing. Then I watched him carry two heavy boxes into the house.

"Dad?" I called out.

"Over here hun," he says. The voice comes out of the open garage. I approached, inside was filled with tools and tires and just a bunch of stuff that was too complex for me to understand it's purpose.

"Uh, what am I supposed to do again?" I chimed.

"Well your room is on the second floor, ask Brent to help you paint. You'll sleep in any of the guest bedrooms for a few days, so just bring your necessities in there for now." I became wide-eyed.

"I get to paint my own room?" I squeaked.

My dad laughed, "Yes, laina," He took off his work gloves. "But first, go take a look at your room, see what furniture you'd like and see where everything should go, and once you figure that out, find out what colour would match everything and I'll get you paint."

"Thanks dad," I said with a smile walked to the entry way inside.

When I came in, my jaw dropped. The house looked like something off tv. I walked around the main floor, examining everything. The granite island in the kitchen, the steel appliances, the coxy fire place in a huge living room, bright bathrooms with stand up showers; everything was perfect.

I hoped I wasn't standing there looking completely astonished as walked up the stairs- even thought I was. On the second floor, I tried to pin point where my room was.

I probably looked like an idiot opening and closing doors but the upstairs hallway was huge. "Bathroom, gaming room, study room, bedroom, bedroom," I muttered to myself. Mine would have my luggages in it, I assumed.

I turned the knob on the fifth room to open the door and, "Oh god!" I yelped as a small shriek escaped his lips. My hands automatically covered my eyes.
Another shreak followed mine.

Out of a creak in my hands, I saw Brent's towel was now clutched tightly around his waist, covering his manhood. "Uh, I'll put on boxers." He says, awkwardly.

"You do that."

I turned around as I heard a towel fall to the ground. I felt my cheeks grow red for what seemed like the hundredth time now. "Alright, you can look." He chuckled. I let my hands fall to my side and awkwardly laughed.

Unintentionally, I gazed at him for the first time. His caramel skin, his v-line, his muscular arms and torso, and his dark, full smile along with his thick, tousled dark hair. I just then noticed he was actually handsome, too handsome for his own good.

He didn't notice me checking him out, or if he did, he hadn't said anything. "Your room is right next door, I'll help you decorate if you want?" He says, nearly reading my mind.

"That's why I barged in like that sorry, I was looking for my room." I shot him a sheepish look. "You should lock your door next time."

He laughed and for the first time, I seen his face become red. He still tried playing it off, "Yeah I should, but you need your beauty sleep because tomorrow theres a lot going on..." He trailed off. I couldn't meet his gaze for some reason. I felt small, next to him, a whole head taller than I was. And I was usually tall, 5'7!

"Like what?" I asked.

"Well we can re-do your room, and we're also doing to have to get more painkillers. Hows your head?" He almost sounded... worried. But strangers don't worry about other people right? I don't think I've worried about people I didn't know, other than beggars on the street. I always spared my change with them.

"Actually, I think I'm good with the painkillers. They last long, I still barely feel anything." I lied. I didn't want to go back to the hospital. Too many bad memories. Doesn't change my face though, it's still bruised." I groaned, reminding myself of how stupid I looked today.

"Elena, you look gor---" He stopped himself short. I raised a eyebrow, secretly pleading for him to finish his sentence.

"I look what?" I grinned.

"You look fine." I was a bit disappointed but whatever. "And tomorrow Detective Mason is coming over to talk to you."

"Great." I mumbled.

"Yeah so shoo!" He joked, "You need your sleep.

"Alright, alright." I raised my hands to defend myself.

I got up and walked towards the door. "Goodnight, Elle." I give him a questioning look and he just laughs. "Get it? Elena, Elle?"

"Yeah," I chuckle. "Goodnight Brent."

Right before I closed the door behind me, I poked my head back in. "Oh, and Brent?"

"Yes, gurlfrand?" He chimed in a girly voice.

"Nice batman boxers." I closed the door shut and laughed to myself. Oh this is gonna be a looong year.

Author's Note:

Hey guys! So I'm glad I finally updated [after like 7 months] and I thought that I should throw in a less tense chapter since the last one was a bit crazy. Anyway, don't forget to fan, vote and comment what you think! Your feedback gives me so much motivation and it's greatly appreciated, thank you!

Her house on the side >>

OH AND CHECK OUT THE TOTALLY BOMB TRAILER ON THE SIDE MADE MY THE ONE AND ONLY @XxGoldfishxX

ALSO GO CHECK OUT THE AMAZING COVER BY LAVIFOX

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 12 16
This is a book, where random short stories are published together. They do not connect with each other and are all fiction or Fantasy. Always will b...
51.6K 2.3K 28
"First things first, I did not try to kill myself." Katniss' life seems perfect. Captain of the Cheerleading Squad, amazing grades, a gorgeous boyfri...
1.8K 30 22
A 15 year old girl faces the extremes starting from a young age... Abuse, mentally..physically..emotionally.. hatred, depression, suicidal thoughts...
9.5K 31 38
How would you feel if your life was crazed with a crazy ex? a new boyfriend and a job as a model? Pretty overwhelmed right? Well thats how Caitlyn fe...