The Masked Murderer

By KellyBlack_20

**Currently Extending** **2017 WATTY AWARD WINNER** Olivia Chastain's life was seemingly perfect until she wa... More

Authors Note
The Murders
Recovery
The Pool
Party Plans
Jess's Bloody Birthday Party- Part I
Jess's Bloody B-Day Party- Part II
The Aftermath
Hunted
Investigation
Captive
Escape
Epilogue
Thank you!!

The Return

13.2K 814 724
By KellyBlack_20

Jess sat on my couch crying over Justin while I vacuumed the small pieces of glass embedded into my carpet. Once I was done, I sat next to her, placing my arm over her shoulder and consoling her. She was really stressed out about Justin. It's no wonder she was so persistent and wouldn't quit knocking at my door. She desperately needed someone to talk to and a place to lay her head in the meantime.

"Would you like a cup of tea?" I asked her as I gently laid my hand on her shoulder, hoping to reassure her that things would be okay.

"Sure," Jess replied, wiping tears from her eyes. I handed her a box of Kleenex. She grabbed a few tissues and began dabbing at her eyes.

"You probably think I'm being ridiculous. You've been through so much, and here I am crying over a guy who'd rather spend time with his friends than with me," Jess said between sniffs and sobs, blowing her nose into a handkerchief.

"Jess, I don't think you're being ridiculous at all," I said before stepping away from the couch and making my way into the kitchen.

As I strolled into the kitchen, I grasped the handle of my red teapot and poured water into its reservoir. Then, I placed the teapot atop the stove and turned the heat to high, eager for the water to boil quickly.

I was suspicious of Jess, as her behavior was a little odd, and I noticed signs that she had been drinking- the scent of tequila lingered on her breath with each word she spoke.

"Jess, you know you shouldn't be drinking and driving," I firmly stated, crossing my arms and gazing at her.

With her head bowed in embarrassment, she lightly swept her long, curly, jet-black hair away from her shoulder to her back.

"Olivia, I was so upset. I needed a drink. I just had one... only one," Jess explained in an apologetic tone. "I won't do it again, I promise."

"I just want you to be safe, that's all."

I attempted to divert her attention from Justin by suggesting that we watch a movie.

"Let's watch a movie, Jess," I suggested, enthusiasm lacing my tone. "What about Beaches? We loved that movie when we were kids."

Jess nodded in agreement. I reached for the remote on the coffee table and held it tightly in my hand. Pressing down on the TV icon, the latest news report immediately blared through the speakers.

I suddenly heard the teapot whistle.

"I'll put on the movie after I get your tea," I assured Jess.

Rising from the couch, I made my way into the kitchen to prepare the tea. I removed the teapot from the stove and poured the hot water into two mugs. Ripping open two teabags, I placed one into each mug.

As I returned to the living room with the mugs in my hand, the most disturbing and frightening news hit my ears through the report.

"The masked murderer has struck again," the words played out into my ears like a movie playing in slow motion as the woman's voice reported the alarming news.

Just then, the mugs slipped out of my hands, tumbling to the floor.

Clack!

Little pieces of the porcelain mugs scattered across the kitchen floor.

"Are you okay, Olivia?" Jess asked, concern etched across her face.

"... After six months with no sign of him and police once believing that he fled the country, that is no longer the case...." The reporter continued.

"Oh no, this can't be true," I exclaimed, my voice quavering.

Jess picked the remote up from the couch and turned the volume up higher so that we could hear better.

Jess's body shifted toward me as I stood there frozen, paralyzed in disbelief. Her eyes glossy with remorse, "I'm sorry, Olivia."

The Masked Murderer had returned, prowling once more, and this time, his atrocities were more horrifying than ever.

News outlets reported that he had claimed the lives of seven women so far, all between the ages of twenty-four and thirty. Their bodies were found mutilated, with organs and limbs severed and callously placed beside their lifeless bodies. Across the state, dead bodies were being unearthed in different locales, some unsettlingly close to Gavelston, the small town that Charles and I called home.

The next morning, I went over to my parent's house because they were concerned for my safety and wanted to talk with me. Mom suggested I get help from the police, and Dad had an outrageous idea: he thought I should move to another state.

"Dad, I'm not throwing my whole life away and moving out of state. I refuse to let a deranged, psychotic killer chase me away," I protested at my Dad's suggestion while I sat at the dining room table with both of my parents.

"This is terrible. The police must do something!" Mom started, fear evident in her voice, "The police have to catch him. Why can't they catch him?" Mom asked, turning her head towards Dad as she cupped her hands around her coffee cup.

"Darling, they'll catch him soon enough," Dad responded.

"Olivia, you know you can stay here if you need to," Mom said concerningly, taking quick sips of her coffee. She looked at me, her eyes peering graciously into mine. I could feel the sadness and empathy she was expressing for me.

"Mom, I'll be fine. Charles hasn't worked much overtime lately, so he's been home every night this week with me,"

"That's good. That's what we want to hear," Dad forced a half smile.

My parents were so old-fashioned. Charles was old-fashioned too, that's why my parents liked him so much. They didn't quite like the fact that we shacked up, though. They thought we should've waited until after we got married. Ideally, we would've waited, but after the kidnapping ordeal and being that I'm a petite, twenty-four-year-old, I didn't feel safe living all by myself.

My phone beeped, alerting me to a text message. I glanced down as I clutched the phone in my hand.

Incoming Message: Charles

Reading the message, it was Charles informing me that he'd be home in a few hours after he finished helping his brother, Nathan, put up a new fence around a client's house. Nathan worked as a contractor and did odd jobs here and there. Sometimes, Charles would offer his help if Nathan was shorthanded.

Since Charles wouldn't be home until later, that left me some free time to run a few errands while the sun's rays were still beaming outside.

"Mom, Dad, I'll see you two later." I announced, "I've got to run a few errands before Charles gets home," I said, giving both of my parents a goodbye hug.

"You be safe out there." Dad patted my back as I opened the door and stepped outside.

"Thanks, Dad. I'll be safe as I can be." I forced a smile and waved goodbye.

The thought of the Masked Murderer striking again scared the living daylights out of me, but I didn't want my parents to know that.

As soon as I hopped in my car, I pulled out my phone and opened the Pandora app. Connecting it to my Bluetooth, the musical tones filled the car, providing a welcoming distraction from the plaguing sadistic thoughts of the Masked Murderer.

I enjoyed the drive down the country road, admiring the trees and cornfields as I tapped my fingers on the steering wheel, syncing with the beats of the music. While Charles enjoyed living in rural Texas, I wasn't as fond of it. It felt too isolated, far from most conveniences. Even the grocery store was a good thirty minutes away. Although I appreciated the few mom-and-pop eateries and the country-themed bar nearby, I still felt like we lived too far out.

I was simply lost in my music when suddenly, a big blue Ford truck pushed up against my rear bumper. I thought it was an accident, so I began to maneuver my car to the side of the road, but when I peered into my rear-view mirror, the truck rammed harder against my bumper a second time, catapulting my car forward. I nearly lost control of my car as I was jerked forward, and my head plopped around like a ragdog. The lunatic decides to ram into me a third time.

"What do you want?! Leave me alone!" I shouted, tears forming in my eyes.

I pressed my foot hard on the accelerator until my car nearly reached 100 miles per hour. I tried to catch a glimpse of the driver, but the tears in my eyes clouded my vision. I was also blinded by the sun's reflection, and his truck was too high.

"Leave me the hell alone!" I screamed, nerves shaking my voice. My hands were trembling as I kept a firm grip on the steering wheel.

Nerves shot through my body, and I trembled, causing me to panic.

Pressing my foot down hard on the gas once again, my car sped up even further.

I quickly grabbed my purse from the passenger seat while trying to maintain my focus on the road ahead. I flipped it over, dumping out all of its contents. I anxiously rummaged my free hand through the pile, desperately feeling for my cell phone.

Once I felt it, I clutched it in my hand, picking it up.

Without further thought, I spoke into the Bluetooth.

"Call Charles," I instructed.

The phone began to ring.

"Charles, answer!" I cried while steadying the steering wheel with my hands still trembling

The phone kept ringing.

"Damn you, Charles!" I screamed, hitting my phone against the steering wheel in frustration.

Then I decided to dial Jess's number.

Please answer, Jess. I need you!

"Hey, Jess here," she answered with a friendly tone to her voice.

"Jess, help me! There's a strange man chasing me on Highway Sixteen near the pancake house. Please help me!" I cried into the phone.

"I'm on my way. I'm bringing Justin with me," she said into the phone and then quickly hung up.

The truck swerved around me, sped up, and then drove off. Quickly, I pulled over into the breakdown lane on the side of the road. With my head in my hands, tears streamed from my eyes like a broken faucet; I couldn't contain them.

Whoever that was nearly killed me!

Jessica and Justin arrived within minutes.

"Oh my gosh, are you alright, Olivia?"Jess asked as she leaned down, wrapping her arms around me; she gave me a comforting hug.

My tears kept flowing, and I felt like I couldn't stop crying no matter how much I wanted to.

"Justin will drive your car back to my place. We'll talk about it there," Jess said while she helped me out of my car. We walked over to her car, and we both got inside.

I cried uncontrollably all the way to Jess's apartment. Once we arrived, I explained what happened to Jess and Justin. They listened intently as I described the horrific ordeal of nearly being run off the road.

"Wow! Sounds like a movie!"Justin said in awe while he chuckled.

"Justin, now is not the time to joke!" Jess snapped.

I ignored Justin as he was probably trying to make light of the situation to make me feel better. He had quite a sense of humor, and that's what Jess loved about him, but I wasn't in the mood for any jokes.

They sat at the table, both chugging down their beers. I was too nervous to eat or drink anything. My stomach was in knots. My eyes were sore and red, and my nose burned from all the crying.

"Would you at least like a glass of water?" Jess asked as she stood up from her stool.

I nodded, "Sure," I said while wiping tears from my eyes.

I watched absentmindedly as Jess took a tall glass from the cabinet, added ice to it then poured fresh spring water over the chilled ice, causing it to crackle. She then sat it right in front of me. I picked it up and took a few small sips.

"It was him. I know it was him," I exclaimed.

Jess sat next to me and caressed my arm with her hand as it lay flat on the table, "I believe you, Olivia. What do you want to do now?"

"I want to go to the police and file a police report," I said as I cupped my hand over my face, "I just want this nightmare to end permanently, once and for all," I cried.

Jess hugged me. I was scared. He was back, and he was after me, and he wasn't giving up.

***

Charles and I went gun shopping the next day. I picked out a forty-four magnum and was ready to use it.

After we left the gun shop, we drove back home in Charles's small truck.

"Do you feel a little safer now?" Charles asked me as he drove down the road.

"I feel a lot safer now. I think I'll be able to relax a lot more as long as this is by my side," I said to Charles as I held up my gun case.

"You'll be okay, babe. I'll always be here to protect you, no matter what," Charles said while he rubbed my thigh.

I laid my head on his shoulder. I knew Charles would protect me by any means necessary, which made me feel safer.

****Please Vote and comment if you enjoyed this Story!! Thank you for reading :-)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.9M 655K 33
For months Summer is trapped in a cellar with the man who took her - and three other girls: Rose, Poppy, and Violet. His perfect, pure flowers. His f...
25.5K 910 16
waking up to find yourself in a strange room, in a different time, with a different life, different friends, being chased by different slashers...
1.8K 268 5
This is the story of a unwanted guest who sudden appearance in kareena life .how they gonna deal with It.
107K 16K 62
How Is it to have Found Love in Childhood Right ! A dream come true for many, Your soulmate is none other than your best friend from years Ever thoug...