The Masked Murderer

By KellyBlack_20

**Currently Extending** **2017 WATTY AWARD WINNER** Olivia Chastain's life was seemingly perfect until she wa... More

Authors Note
The Murders
The Return
The Pool
Party Plans
Jess's Bloody Birthday Party- Part I
Jess's Bloody B-Day Party- Part II
The Aftermath
Hunted
Investigation
Captive
Escape
Epilogue
Thank you!!

Recovery

16.3K 889 953
By KellyBlack_20

It was late afternoon, and I hadn't been back home since Charles left for his night shift. Feeling a bit unsettled, I decided to head over to my parent's place and stay there for the night. It was my safe haven.

Sitting on their cozy old couch, I wrapped myself in a warm blanket and sipped on a mug of warm chamomile tea. I put on "The Notebook," my go-to comfort movie. 

A wave of nostalgia washed over me, transporting me back to my teenage years. My hair was casually pulled back into a loose ponytail, just like it had always been when I was a cheerleader at Galveston High.

And I dared to leave the house without any concealer or foundation – something I would have never considered before. But life had taught me to see things differently. My perspective had shifted entirely. I had learned to look beyond the superficial. Since leaving the hospital, I hadn't bothered to fix myself up, plus I was still in recovery mode.

I quit my waitressing job at Jill's Cafe due to the injuries I sustained and the prolonged amount of time that it would take for them to heal. I wasn't ready to dedicate myself to part-time or full-time work just yet, not until I completely healed- mentally and physically, from the trauma. I knew I wasn't there yet.

The flashbacks weren't as persistent, but I would still get them every now and then. Overall, I was beginning to feel like a full recovery was on the horizon, and that made me quite happy.

Charles and I moved in together. Living with him gave me a sense of security, something I severely lacked while living alone. When he wasn't at home, I'd stay the night at my parents' house. It was another safe place I could retreat if need be.

"Thanks for letting me stay here until Charles gets home from work," I said to Mom.

"Mija, Olivia, you are welcome here anytime, you know that,"

"I know. I want you to know I appreciate it," I replied while taking quick sips of my tea.

Mom leaned over the couch to hug me. Her short, curly brunette hair rubbed up against mine.

"Mija, I love you." Mom planted a kiss on the top of my forehead.

I felt like the luckiest woman alive to have such a loving family and a fiancé who was so incredibly in love with me. I appreciated it now more than I ever could've before.

I was so engrossed in the Notebook that I didn't realize I had five missed calls from Charles, not to mention my phone was on silent. I called him back right away.

"Hey honey, sorry I missed your call," I said over the phone while twirling a few loose strands of my hair between my fingers.

"Babe, I gotta work until three in the morning. I'm sorry. I'll see you then," Charles said with disappointment in his voice.

"No worries, honey. I'll be home when you get there. I love you, bye."

"I love you too, bye." Charles blew me a kiss through the phone. I puckered up and blew him one back, then we ended the call.

Six months had passed since that traumatic event, and I was learning how to be independent all over again. I thought tonight would be the perfect night to spend by myself since I technically wouldn't be spending all night alone because Charles would be coming home at three.

It was eight o'clock, and I was growing tired. My eyes could hardly stay open. I felt them burning as they began to water, an indication that I needed to get some sleep.

"Mom, I'm going home now," I announced as I began walking towards the kitchen where Mom was knitting.

"Okay, are you going to be alright? Do you need Dad to drive you home?" She asked while setting her knitting utensils on the big oak wood dinner table.

I chuckled, "No, Mom. I'll be fine."

It never failed. Mom always asked me if I wanted Dad to drive me home whenever I visited.

I grabbed my black jacket from the arm of the couch, where I set it down earlier. Placing my arms into the sleeves, I put it on as I headed toward the front door.

"Lock up and set the alarm, Mom."

"Bye, Olivia. Drive safe." Mom held the front door open and watched me venture to my car.

I strolled through the pitch-black darkness of the night. The street light was dim. It didn't offer much light. I tried my best to feel and act confident, but deep down, I was scared.

I unlocked my car doors and waved goodbye to Mom. She waved back and closed the front door.

Once I was inside my car, I promptly checked the backseats.

Should I check the trunk, too?

I was being paranoid again.

You're okay, Olivia. Stop it.

Placing the key into the ignition, I started my car and began my Twenty-minute drive home.

My phone rang.

It's probably Charles. I'll wait until I get home, and I'll call him back.

I drove up to our blue and white apartment complex in the middle of rural Charleston, Texas. The complex was small. It was a one-story building made up of a total of four apartments, including ours. Two of them were occupied by college students who partied hard when they were home, but they were hardly ever home. The last apartment had an older woman who lived in it. She kept quiet and didn't say a peep to anyone.

I parked my car in our parking space right outside of our apartment, and I glanced around before exiting my vehicle. I didn't see anything suspicious, so I quickly opened my door and hopped outside.

Anxious, I hurriedly walked to our front door. Gazing down at the keys in my hand, I fidgeted with the keyring until I spotted our apartment key.

I stuck the key into the keyhole. Grabbing the doorknob, I twisted it. Just then, I heard a loud shuffling noise coming from out of the bushes. My heart jumped out of my chest, and my eyes widened as I scanned the area. It was probably just a raccoon, but I didn't want to take any chances. So I hurriedly pushed the door open, barging into my apartment. Then, I swiftly closed and locked it behind me.

Phew.

I was relieved to be inside, finally. My home's sense of safety and comfort extracted the nervous mess out of me.

Slipping my shoes off near the front door, I reached out and flicked on the switch, flooding our apartment with a spiral of bright lights. Scanning the living room and kitchen, I looked for signs of a break-in or anything suspicious, being that I was still quite paranoid.

Suddenly, a dark shadow appeared before me, reflecting off the wall. My heart pounded faster than a speeding fighter jet, and my breath flew out of my lungs as my breathing increased.

"Meow,"

Oh, it was just Henry, our cat. I breathed out a heavy sigh.

"Henry, you scared me," I bent down and delicately ran my hand across the smooth fur of his back, petting him.

Just then, a thought torpedoed back into my mind.

My phone rang in the car. I wonder who was trying to call me.

I grabbed my purse and walked over to the end table next to the couch. Unzipping it, I took out my phone and used my thumb to scroll through the call log.

2 Missed Calls- Unknown Caller

Charles never called me from an unknown number.

Hmmm, I wonder who that could be?

As I usually do when receiving calls from "unknown numbers," I dismiss them as being telemarketers because ninety-nine percent of the time, they were. As I slipped my phone back into my purse, I decided I'd take a nice, hot, relaxing shower to wind down for the evening.

Venturing into our bathroom, I sat on the edge of our porcelain tub. Extending my arm out, I twisted both the hot and cold crystal knobs of the shower.

The bathroom began to fill with steam, fogging the mirrors and creating a cloudy haze. The humidity of the steam seeped into my pores. I undressed, stepped inside the shower and began washing my hair.

The hot water felt so relaxing as it trickled down my back and flowed down my shoulders and arms. Looking down, I spot my Eucalyptus shampoo. I open up the cap and pour some over my head. The smell of Eucalyptus reverberated throughout the bathroom. The scent ventured into my nostrils,  soothing me.

Knock! Knock!

Did someone just knock at the front door?

I reached down and grabbed the knobs, turning them into the off position. I pulled the shower curtain back, stuck my ear out, and listened again.

Nothing. Not a sound.

Hmmm.. It's probably just my imagination.

I twisted the knobs, allowing the water to flow against my body. With gentle motions, I continued washing my hair, feeling the rich lather of shampoo saturating my strands and cascading down my neck in a froth of bubbles.

Knock! Knock!

I turned the shower off again and stuck my head further out of the shower so I could hear better.

Knock! Knock!

Somebody was knocking!

"Who was it at this time of night?" I muttered.

Grabbing my towel, I dried off and then wrapped it around me. Instinctively, I didn't want to answer the door this late at night, so I turned off the bathroom lights, leaving it completely dark. I was hoping whoever it was would leave.

Knock! Knock!

Shit! They're still knocking.

I sat on the glossy blue and white tiled bathroom floor. My heart beat rapidly, thumping against my chest. Placing my palms on the ground, I got on my hands and knees, crawling from the tiled bathroom floor to the grey-carpeted living room to get my cell phone out of my purse just in case I needed to call for help.

I scooted backward and leaned my back against the olive-green couch. I exhaled a sigh of relief. Extending my arm over the end table, I grabbed my purse, accidentally knocking it into the lamp as I pulled it towards me.

BANG!

Oh no!

The lamp fell over, crashing onto the floor. Then the bulb broke into a million pieces. Glass scattered all over the living room carpet. I couldn't see exactly where because the only light I had was now splayed across the carpet. I decided to go back into the bathroom. It was hidden from view, and nobody would know if I was home or not.

Knock! Knock! Knock!

The knocking at the door got louder and more intense. 

I continued tip-toeing to the bathroom, ignoring the knocks at the door.

"Owwwww!" I screamed. I gazed at the bottom of my foot. Glass from the light bulb had settled deep into it. It began oozing fresh red blood.

I went from tip-toeing to the bathroom to limping on my now-injured foot.

"Meow, meow, meow.." Henry cried.

"Quiet, Henry," I whispered to my cat.

Glancing down at my phone, I noticed ten missed calls from an unknown number.

Knock! Knock! Knock! Knock!

What the hell is going on? Who's calling me, and who's banging at my door?!

My phone rang while the banging at the door ensued. I peered down at the phone in my hand.

It was the unknown number again. My hands trembled as nerves ignited through them while my heart pounded a million miles a minute.

I'm so sick of being afraid!

Pressing down on the answer button, I yell into the phone, "What do you want?! Huh?! Leave me the hell alone!" I could feel the explosion of a fiery rage brewing within me.

"Olivia, it's me, Jess," she started, "I'm at the front door. Justin and I got into another argument, and I just wanted to know if I could crash here for the night,"

I put the phone down, holding it against my chest, and shut my eyes tightly, breathing a sigh of relief.

It was my best friend, Jessica, also known as Jess.

Slowly, I put the phone back to my ear, "Why didn't your name appear on my cell?! " I asked worriedly.

"Aw man, sorry, Olivia. I put my phone number on block so when I called Justin, he'd answer; otherwise, he wouldn't pick up if he knew it was me," Jess explained apologetically. "I forgot to take it off," she sighed heavily.

"Okay, I'm walking to the door now, Jess."

I ended the call and got up on my feet, making my way to the front door.

As soon as I opened the door, I saw Jess standing there. Her eyes were smeared with black mascara, and the whites around her pupils were a bright red as if she had been crying all night.

"Thanks, Olivia, you're a lifesaver," Jess stepped into my apartment. She wrapped her arms around me and held me in a warm embrace.

**Please Vote if you enjoyed reading this chapter!! Thank you so much for reading!**

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

197K 1.7K 16
ဒွိင်လိင်..... အုပ်စုဖွဲ လိင်ဆက်ဆံခြင်း.... စိတ်ကူးဃဉ် ရေးသားထားခြင်းသာ⭕⭕⭕⭕⭕ အသက်မပြည့်သေးသူများ မဖတ်ကြပါနဲ့❌❌❌❌❌❌❌❌
29.9M 655K 33
For months Summer is trapped in a cellar with the man who took her - and three other girls: Rose, Poppy, and Violet. His perfect, pure flowers. His f...
1M 29.4K 88
You'll get a variety of short horror stories here. I'm not a writer so I have collected these stories from different sources. I hope you won't mind u...
7.3M 303K 38
~ AVAILABLE ON AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/dp/164434193X ~ She hated riding the subway. It was cramped, smelled, and the seats were extremely unc...