Silent Love (Published)

By JessicaCMadden

Ruby has woken up from an accident that claims the life of her family, not remember who she is and loses the... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Author's Note
Author's Note #2 - Publishing Update/Companion Novel
Published!
To Catch A Wave: A Companion Novel

Chapter 5

5K 70 3
By JessicaCMadden

      I stay in my room for the rest of the day, lying on my bed. I could have come out and do something, but I was afraid of bumping into Tyler even though he wasn't home. Gabe had come in wanting to know if I wanted to go surfing with Kaleen and her friend Tammy, who happens to be Shannah's younger sister. I wonder if Tammy is just like her. I turned down Gabe's offer. I don't want to meet Tammy just in case she had the same personality as her sister.

I come out when Aylin calls everyone for dinner. The whole family was there except for Tyler. He hadn't returned home yet. I wonder if he is still mad at me after what happened earlier. Nick asks me how I went today with my first session with his wife. Aylin fills him in with what happened and then he says the same thing Aylin told me about how it will take time. I wish it didn't take time at all.

We were half way through dinner when Tyler returned home. He warms up his meal and sits down across from me. He doesn't make any eye contact with me.

"Oh, Tyler, I need you to do me a favour tomorrow," Nick says shortly after Tyler had sat down. "I need you to take Ruby to her family's funeral."

Tyler stops eating, his fork mid-way to his mouth, and looks over at his dad. "Are you serious? Why can't you or Mom take her?"

"Your mother and I have to work tomorrow."

"But I have plans tomorrow. Can't you get someone else to do it?"

"You are the only one who can drive, Tyler," his mother points out. "Gabe doesn't have a license yet."

"I'm going for it next month," Gabe says with a grin on his face.

Tyler looks at his brother before glancing in my direction, narrowing his eyes at me. I glance down at my food, feeling uncomfortable as he continues to narrow his eyes at me. He then mumbles something to himself before stuffing his mouth with food. His voice was so soft that I couldn't make out what he had said, and I don't think his family had heard it either. Or if they did, they didn't take any notice. The uneasy feeling I had in the pit of my stomach told me that what he had said wasn't very nice.

"The ceremony won't be long, Tyler. Once it's finish, you can do whatever you were planning to do," Nick continues. "It starts at ten."

Tyler groans. "Fine." He quickly finishes the rest of this dinner and leaves the table, placing his plate and cutlery into the sink before disappearing into his room.

No one says anything once he had left.

Gabe was the first to finish dinner and leaves to go to his room. I don't finish eating all of my meal. I wasn't hungry. I was going to help Aylin to do the dishes, but she told me not to worry about it. Nick helps her out instead.

As I walk to my room, I see Gabe standing at the door of his brother's room. He seems upset.

"Why are you being such a jerk for?" he says. "Why can't you be nice to her? She is being nice to you."

I stand near the couch, watching the brothers. Well, I was really watching Gabe since Tyler wouldn't come to the door. I didn't want to go over there and interfere with their conversation. I probably shouldn't even be listening in, but I did.

"So what," I hear Tyler say.

"How come you don't like her?"

"What is it to you?"

"Seriously, but why are you acting like a jerk?"

"Get out of my room, Gabe."

"You better start being nice to Ruby."

"And if I don't?"

"You're going to be so sorry for ever mistreating her. She is a nice person."

Without saying anything else, Gabe walks to his room. I expected Tyler to shout out some kind of nasty comment at his brother, but he doesn't. I slowly walk towards Tyler's room, afraid that he might come out and start yelling at me. His door was opened a crack and I stand there, peeking in.

He is sitting at his desk, looking at something on his computer. He suddenly turns and sees me standing there. I jump when our eyes locked together. Before he could say anything to me, I quickly turn and hid myself in my room, closing the door. I figured he would probably come into my room and tell me off, but he doesn't.

I stay in there for the rest of the evening, afraid to even come out of the room in case I came face to face with Tyler. It was probably best I stay out of his way. He obviously hates me, but I wonder if he will ever start being nice to me after what Gabe said to him.

I wake up early the next morning, deciding to take a shower. Before I left my room I peek out the door to make sure Tyler wasn't wandering around. His bedroom door was closed. Good. He was still in his room. I walk out and make my way to the bathroom.

I was just coming out of the shower when I hear someone knocking at the door. I grab a towel from the rack and dry myself with it before wrapping it around me.

The person tries to open the door but couldn't since it was lock. They knock again. "Whoever is in there, could you please hurry up? I really need to use the bathroom."

I froze when I heard Tyler's voice. I didn't want to move or open the door, but I knew I had to otherwise he will be mad. I didn't want him to get upset with me first thing in the morning.

I grab my clothes from the floor and open up the door with my towel still wrapped around me. Tyler stands there with one arm leaning on the door frame. He had bed hair and he was wearing a black t-shirt and grey sweat pants. We stare at each other without making a sound. I feel his eyes roaming my body. It made me felt uncomfortable just standing here in just a towel.

Tyler snaps himself back to reality. "Um, thanks, and I'm sorry for pushing you out of here."

I was a little surprise that he was even apologising or even thanking me. I expected him to yell at me for some reason, but I'm glad he didn't. I just smile at him and he moves a side for me so I could get out.

I walk back to my room and pull out my clothes from my bag. I have to unpack later, but right now I don't feel like it. I found a knee-length black dress with thin straps that went over my shoulders. I wasn't sure if it was suitable for a funeral, but I decided to wear it anyway. It was black, so I guess it should be okay.

Once dressed, I head to the kitchen for something to eat. The brothers were sitting at the table eating cereal. I look around to see if Aylin and Nick were there, but they must have left the house already. The brothers didn't even take notice that I was standing in the same room as them.

"Listen, Tyler, I'm really sorry about what I said to you last night," Gabe was saying. "I didn't mean to say that you were a jerk."

"You're forgiven, buddy," Tyler replies. "Although, you're right. I have been acting like one."

"So what are you going to do with Ruby once you finished taking her to the funeral?"

Tyler shrugs. "I don't know."

I walk over to the cabinet and pull out a bowl. I grab the box of Cheerios and pour it into the bowl.

"Wow, Ruby, you look really nice," Gabe says.

I look up at him, signing 'thank you'. My eyes lock with Tyler as he stares at me, his eyes raking over my body. It really made me feel uncomfortable when he did that, but at least this time I wasn't wrapped in a towel.

I notice Gabe looking from me to his brother. There was a smile on his face and I wondered what he was thinking. He stands up from his seat. "Anyway, I'm going. I'm meeting up with Kaleen and Tammy to go paddle boarding." He grabs his bowl and puts it in the sink before walking out of the kitchen.

I walk over to the fridge to grab the milk, pouring it in my bowl before placing it back in the fridge. Grabbing my bowl, I sit down across from Tyler. As soon as I sat down, he turns his eyes away from me. I start eating my cereal.

"You look nice, Ruby," Tyler says without meeting my eyes. It was like he was afraid to look at me.

Just when I thought he wasn't going to look at me, he does. I smile at him. He doesn't return it and looks back down at his cereal. He sat there for a few minutes staring down at it before standing up and walks over to the sink with the bowl.

"Um, do you want to stop by the florist on the way to the cemetery so you can get some flowers to set down beside the graves?" he asks me.

I stare at him for a moment, surprise that he was actually being nice to me. Wow, Gabe did a good job at getting through to him.

I reach for the whiteboard. I don't have any money.

"I will pay for it."

I smile at him. Thanks, Tyler.

Tyler stares at me for a few seconds before returning the smile. It was the first time I have seen him smile since I arrived here. He had an amazing smile, which made my heart skip a beat. He turns to leave the kitchen so he could get ready.

I finish my breakfast and then sat down on the couch. I switch on the television to see what was on, but nothing interested me so I switched it off.

"Are you ready to go?" Tyler asks me.

I turn to him as he walks into the living room. I practically drooled over him when I saw him all dressed up. He was wearing a black suit, a white shirt with blue stripes and a black tie. He looks so different.

I didn't even notice that I was staring at him for a long time. Not until he clears his throat. I snap myself back to reality. He repeats his question and I nod. I get off the couch and follow him out to his pick-up truck. I wasn't expecting him to do it, but he opens the front passenger door for me. I sign 'thank you' to him and climb in.

Tyler climbs into the driver's seat and starts the truck. He drives to the nearest florist, coming into the store with me. I stare at all the different bouquets of flowers. I wasn't sure which one to get.

"What kind of flowers do you want to get?" Tyler asks me.

I shrug. What do you even get for a funeral?

Tyler picks the bouquet for me, choosing some white roses. I thank him for the help and we head back to the vehicle, driving to the cemetery. There were few people there, gathering around outside the church. Four black hearses were parked outside. I look around at the people and couldn't recognise any of them. I stand close to Tyler, feeling uncomfortable about being with these strangers.

I spot Kailani and Lex. I smile at them when I recognise someone I knew. They were both looking our way and I notice they were mostly staring at Tyler.

"Oh my gosh, it's Tyler Sharland," I hear Kailani say in a loud whisper.

"What is he doing here?" Lex whispers.

"What is he doing with Ruby?"

They walk over to me, hugging me. They then turn to Tyler.

"Oh my gosh, you're Tyler Sharland," Kailani says. She looks like she was trying to hold in a squeal and was dying to let it out but knew it wasn't the right place to start squealing.

"Yes, I am," he says casually.

Both girls tried to hold their cool together.

"What are you doing here?" Lex asks

"I'm with Ruby," he explains. "My dad treated her at the hospital and invited her to stay with my family since she had nowhere else to go."

I stare at my friends, wondering why they were acting the way they were around Tyler. I know he was a celebrity, but was it really necessary for Kailani and Lex to act like they were in the seventh grade with their first crush on an extremely attractive guy in front of him?

"Um, we should go in now," Tyler says.

Kailani and Lex agreed. We follow some other people into the church. A few other girls were looking our way, staring at Tyler. He played it so cool and acted like he didn't notice anyone staring at him. I think I would feel uncomfortable if I was him, but I guess he was used to it.

A few people who claimed to be friends of my family or my family who manage to visit from Australia comes up to me, saying sorry for my loss. I knew I should feel some kind of sympathy for my family, but how could I feel it when I had no idea who they were?

Tyler sat in the front row with me. I only half paid attention to whatever the minister was saying about my family. I mostly look around at the people surrounding me, trying to picture them in my life. I couldn't. I couldn't even place my own family in my life as I stare at the photographs they had put out of them. They were a blur to me, like they were never a part of my life. Like me they had brown hair and blue eyes. My mother and I looked so alike, which only crushes my heart more for feeling bad for not remembering any of my family members. My brothers look so alike that it was almost as if they were twins, but they weren't. I was the middle child. Brett was the oldest and Aiden's the youngest. My family were athletic, mostly into surfing. I wonder if I shared the same interest as them.

I was lost in my thoughts when I felt someone's hand interlacing with mine. I look down to see Tyler's hand in mine. I look up at him, but he doesn't make any eye contact with me. I smile knowing he could see it from the corner of his eye.

Tyler wanted to leave straight after the funeral, but Kailani and Lex wanted me to attend a gathering that they were having at my place. Kailani's mother had put together some food for everyone. I stayed close to Tyler when we were at my house. I feel like a stranger just standing in my own home that I had grown up in for almost eighteen years.

I stare at the food on the table. There were all kinds of platters – sandwiches, cheese, fruit and sushi. There was also some cupcakes and chocolate brownies. Seeing the food made my stomach grumble. I grab a few sandwiches and a brownie. I ate the brownie first. I look over at Tyler as he grabs some sushi. I had no idea what sushi was, but it smelt like fish. I wonder how he could eat it. It doesn't smell so tasty.

I watch him as he bites into one of the sushi rolls. I make a face, imagining what it must taste like. I bet if it smelt horrible than it will taste horrible also.

He spots me staring at him and I quickly turn away, taking a bite of my brownie. "What?"

I don't look at him straight away, but when I do, he was walking over to me so he could stand next to me.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" he wants to know.

I shrug and then look down at the food on his plate before locking my eyes with his again.

"Have you ever tried sushi?"

I shrug. I don't know if I have ever tried it or if it was nice, but it does look disgusting to me.

Tyler put his half eaten roll down on the plate and picks up a fresh one. He held it in front of my lips. "Try it."

I stare at the mini roll with rice and salmon inside. I didn't like the look of the pink fish, but the rice looked nice and tempting to eat. I look up at Tyler. I don't know what he was thinking but he seems like he wanted me to take it. The roll was so close to my lips and I went to open my mouth to bite into it when Kailani and Lex came over to us.

"Ruby, can we talk to you about something?" Lex asks with this grin on her face. Kailani also had the same grin.

I didn't get much of a say to what I wanted. Kailani grabs my arm and started pulling me across the room and stood me in a corner. Both Lex and Kailani circles me, making me feel claustrophobic. They began talking at once, firing questions at me, barely giving me a chance to answer them.

"Oh my gosh, you're so lucky to be staying with Tyler," Kailani says.

"What is it like living with him?" Lex asks.

"Have you seen him shirtless?"

"What are his abs like up close?"

"Do you like his smile? He has a sexy smile, don't you agree?"

"Do you like him?"

I stare at them, feeling scared as they cornered me. I don't even know why they were asking me all of these questions. I didn't even know the answers to any of them.

Someone grabs my arm. I thought it was one of my friends pulling on me, but it wasn't them. I was pulled away from my friends. It's Tyler who had grabbed me. I wasn't sure what my friends were thinking, but I could hear them saying "Oh my gosh" over and over again. It was like it was the only thing they knew how to say.

"Are you okay?" he asks me once we got to the other side of the room.

I nod, signing 'thank you' to him for rescuing me from being cornered by my friends. He just smiles at me.

"Do you want to get going?"

I shrug. I didn't know what I wanted. Tyler looks around the room before turning back to me.

"Hey, I have an idea. Let's look around and see if you remember anything."

I wasn't so sure about the idea, but I agreed to do so. Tyler was probably right. If I look around the house I might be able to remember something about myself or my family. I haven't yet looked around. I was mostly avoiding people so I didn't have to look at them. Looking at them would just make me feel frustrated not remember anything. My relatives will tell me they know what I was going through, and try their best to comfort me, but really they know nothing about how frustrated I have been through the last several days not being able to talk or remember anything. Maybe instead of concentrating on who everyone is, making myself feel even more frustrated than I already was, maybe objects could help trigger my memory. There has to be something here that will help me, wouldn't it?

Tyler walks around with me, staying close and making sure that Kailani or Lex wouldn't corner me again. A couple of girls even reached out to touch him when he walked pass them. I don't think they even cared that my family were gone. All they cared about was Tyler.

I look around me, not even sure what to look for. Tyler suggested we go to a different room away from everyone. I think he wanted to get away from all of the girls drooling over him.

We walk through this arch leading into another room. No one was in there. There was a bookshelf and a couch. But it was the piano in the right hand corner that catches my eye. It wasn't a grand like the one at Tyler's.

I let go of his hand and walk over to it. I run my fingers along the wood. I try to picture myself sitting here and playing it.

"Can you play?" Tyler asks me.

"She is like the best player in the world," Kailani says as she walks into the room with Lex.

"Music is Ruby's life and she can't live without it," Lex adds. "She might even be getting into Julliard."

I look over at Tyler just as our eyes met and he smiles at me. My heart skips a beat.

"Could you play something?" he asks me.

I stare at him, surprise to hear him say that. I wasn't even sure if I really wanted to play something. I feared that I had forgotten how to play. Lex encourages me to play something.

I sit down in front of the piano, putting my fingers on the keys. I don't press down on them. I wasn't even sure if I wanted to. At the back of my mind a voice kept telling me that I had forgotten how to play. What if I had forgotten? I don't want to embarrass myself in front of Tyler or my friends if I could no longer play.

I start to cry. Tyler quickly kneels beside me.

"Hey, what's wrong?" he asks me.

"Your dad told her that there's a chance that she might not be able to remember how to play," Kailani explains.

Tyler pats my knee. "Hey, it's okay. Why don't you try to play? I mean, you might just be able to still play it."

I shake my head and then wrap my arms around Tyler, burying my face into his chest and just cried. I feel his arms embrace me.

"I'm going to take her home," Tyler says to my friends. He then pushes me off him, wiping the tears from my eyes. "Come on, Ruby. Let's go."        

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 127 16
On a hot day in August, Molly is hit by a car. She slips into a coma, a coma that doctors say she will never wake up from. Her boyfriend Liam spends...
6.5K 185 17
Sonic and Amy woke up with amnesia and cannot remember each other or their friends. And they have to figure out how to regain their memories by getti...
648K 18.6K 24
Hallie's used to feeling like she's not wanted. Her small group of her friends think she's a total bore unless she's drunk. The guy she's been in l...
138 18 30
"Never Love a Stranger" Leah had heard these words from her mom her whole life. She never understood what she meant until the summer after graduation...