The Shimmers in the Night

By lydiamillet

The Shimmers in the Night is the second novel in the Dissenters series following The Fires Beneath the Sea. T... More

Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten

One

2.1K 109 10
By lydiamillet

It was a Sunday in late October, the week before Halloween. Long drifts of red and yellow leaves covered the front yard of the Sykes's rambling house next to Cape Cod Bay. A couple of days ago it had been crisp outside, an average fall day-just chilly enough so you could breathe in the cold air and notice it had its own clean taste-but today it was warm. Cara wore nothing but a cotton shirt, and even so she was sweating as she raked. This must be what her dad called Indian summer.

But still, it was strangely warm.

She tramped through the piles of leaves around to the side of the house, where a rusty thermometer stuck out of the gray wooden shingles. The red line of mercury hovered at seventy-four.

It was Jax's job to rake and bag the leaves; he got paid a big five bucks, which their dad seemed to think was a windfall. "When I was ten years old," he said sternly, "I mowed the lawn for a nickel. And I was happy to do it." But Jax was in Cambridge for two weeks at some kind of genius-kid camp run by an institute her older brother, Max, called "a think tank."

Max said he wouldn't trust those think-tank people as far as he could throw them. He said "think tank" basically meant place full of evil smart people, because a place full of harmless smart people was called "a university."

Max (being a rebel, or at least liking to look like one) thought there were conspiracies all around them. The night before Jax left, Max had spun out a few paranoid scenarios for their baby brother's benefit as the three of them sat in Max's chaotic bedroom, littered with dirty vintage T-shirts, Ramones and Clash posters pinned messily to the walls. It was entirely possible, he'd told Jax, that the people who worked at the think tank only pretended they were going to teach him how to "optimize the skills associated with his eidetic memory" as they'd said in their letter. Whatever that meant.

In fact, said Max, they were planning to mold Jax into a brainiac supersoldier.

It was nothing new; they'd practically made a habit of it in the previous century, according to Max-for example with mind-altering drugs in the Vietnam War.

"Come on," Cara had said. "Get serious. Jax the Terminator? His biceps are smaller than mine!"

"They are not," Jax had squeaked, and lifted his arm up to make a muscle.

It looked pale and flimsy, not unlike a frog's leg.

Max patted him on the head.

"It's OK, small dude," he said. "These days the wars are mostly fought by geeks like you, on computers."

"I'll definitely take a pass on the supersoldier option," said Jax.

"But maybe you won't be able to," said Max. "You feel me? Mind control. Electric wires into your eyeballs. Stuff like that. Did you ever see Clockwork Orange?"

Jax shook his head.

"It's not exactly PG," conceded Max. "Word to the wise: once they've got you cornered in their high-tech facility, all bets are off. You might come back to us with a chip in your head that communicates with NORAD Central Command."

"What's norad?" asked Cara.

Jax rolled his eyes at Max's dire warnings and went off the next morning anyway, though Cara heard him asking their dad a few faintly anxious questions as they packed his bags into the back of their new used Subaru.

The people at the Advancement Institute couldn't know that Jax could read minds (ping them, as he and Cara called it; Max preferred not to discuss it). The Sykes kids kept that one to themselves, although their mother understood. It was even a secret from their father. All that the Institute people knew-Jax claimed and Cara hoped-was that he had a photographic memory and "accelerated learning skills."

Still, Cara was worried that with all their prying and testing, they'd find out about Jax's hidden abilities and the whole thing would turn into a circus. Before they knew it Jax would be kidnapped and locked up in a secret compound at an undisclosed location. "Some hyped-up ESP freak show," as Max had helpfully put it.

But Jax had promised he wouldn't let anyone else find out about the pinging.

Their mother knew. But she didn't really count.

And, of course, she was gone.

So now the raking of leaves fell to Cara. It'd had to wait for the weekend, because on weekdays she was busy with swim team, debate, and even the annoying dance committee, which her best friend Hayley had forced her to join. Hayley, who lived a few doors down, was intent on becoming popular ("So what? It's a value.") and chose her extracurriculars based on what she saw as their status with the in crowd. Debate team, for instance, got a two out of ten. Not good. Hayley would have stopped Cara from debating at all, if she could. And probably from all activities requiring an IQ score above moron.

Hayley was smart, but she didn't like to admit it in public.

This afternoon Max had gone out with his girlfriend, Zee, and Cara's dad, who taught religious history, was hunkered down in his study writing a paper about some medieval guy who wore scratchy shirts for the glory of God. The professor loved those old-fashioned kooks. He used to teach at Harvard, taking the ferry in from Provincetown three days a week, but he'd gone on sabbatical from there to turn some of his writings on medieval God fans into a book, and as a favor to some other professor was teaching a class at 4 C's in the meantime. In the four months since Cara's mother had been gone, he'd thrown himself into his work even more than usual. He slept on the couch in his study and sometimes got up and paced in the middle of the night, drinking instant coffee that tasted, as far as Cara could tell, like an old shoe.

True, he was slightly more cheerful about the situation since Cara had told him she'd talked to her mom on the phone-but only slightly. Obviously there was still plenty for him to worry about. But at least he was reassured that his wife wasn't hurt or kidnapped or wanting a divorce (as the police had seemed to think).

What had really happened was far more complicated, and the kids had decided to keep it to themselves. Max didn't approve of keeping the truth from their dad, but their mother had asked them to, and in the end even Max had grudgingly agreed. What had happened was this: at the beginning of September they'd talked to their mother once, in the backyard, in the middle of the night, before she flew off into the sky. And the last time they saw her she was rising over the ocean on the back of a beast Jax said looked like a pterosaur-which should have been extinct for about sixty-five-million years.

Later he'd looked it up and claimed it fit the profile of a Quetzalcoatlus northropi, the only ancient winged reptile he figured might have been big enough to carry a full-grown adult. But "the data were insufficient," as he put it.

Cara thought of that part as something she'd dreamed. It was just easier.

Back then her mother had claimed Cara had the gift of "vision," that she could see what other people couldn't. Cara wasn't so sure, though in the summer she had felt she was getting glimpses of hidden things once or twice. And after her mother went away again-and their old dog, Rufus, fell in battle-Cara had made a conscious effort not to think about the war she'd said was coming, not to think about the hidden world that lay beneath the visible one. She'd tried to forget the Pouring Man who had attacked them, with water from nowhere coursing steadily down his white face. The beginning of the new school year had been a great distraction, and she'd pushed the summer to the back of her mind-the summer and the dark clouds gathering.

But over the past few days she'd started to feel restless, and sometimes, when Hayley droned on about dances or clothes, her thoughts drifted. Maybe it was just that she wasn't distracted by the newness of school anymore. She knew the routine: she had swim team early in the mornings, then homeroom, then three classes and a spare before lunch, then forty minutes eating at the corner table in the cafeteria with Hayley and her other best friend, Jaye, before her afternoon classes started; it was predictable and unsurprising.

Or maybe she was impatient for Jax to come home. The brainiac boot camp was probably good for him-maybe he was meeting other smart kids and not feeling like such an oddball for once. He'd been adopted when he was two and Cara was five, so she could barely remember life without him; but Jax was so different, with his abilities, that she always worried about him feeling like the odd one out.

Anyway, it was a good idea for him to connect with other kids; she knew that. Outside the family, he had only one real friend: Kubler, another high-IQer in Jax's grade. She'd wondered what kind of parent would name their kid Kubler-until she met Kubler's parents. The entire family was a card-carrying dweebfest, each one more socially inept than the last. They were tall, skinny, and gawky as ostriches. The dad was a nerd cliché: he sported toes that turned inward and actually wore terrycloth tennis sweatbands in daily life, right smack around the middle of his forehead. The mom, a math whiz, had giant buckteeth, wore stretchy pants, and had won a famous prize for geniuses that always seemed to make Cara's father grumble. The parents got agitated when Cara tried to say hello and always shepherded Kubler into their aging Volvo without much conversation. But still, she liked them.

Anyway, with Jax and her mom both gone and Max out practically all the time with Zee, the house was depressingly empty. She had Hayley and Jaye, but at the end of the day they went home to their own families, even if those families got on their nerves half the time. Hayley had her doting mom and some cousins who lived in Hyannis and came out on weekends; Jaye had her parents and a little sister in kindergarten who worshiped her.

Whereas Cara...well, lately she sometimes felt, in the empty house, that she hardly had a family at all.

Plus, she'd been having nightmares. They woke her up in the small hours of the morning, but once she was awake, she couldn't remember their details at all and it was hard to get back to sleep. Then all day long she felt there was something she should remember, a forgotten thing that might be important hovering just out of view.

She trudged into the dingy garage and grabbed a trashcan, which she dragged along the driveway of broken white seashells, making an abrasive noise as the can bumped over the shells with its hard, black-plastic wheels. Just as she laid it down in a corner of the yard and started raking in some maple leaves, her cell rang.

"Max should be doing that," said Hayley, when Cara hit answer.

"Doing what?" asked Cara.

"The yard work," said Hayley, and Cara looked up to see she was standing not ten feet away.

Hayley grinned and flipped her pink phone closed. She lived four houses down the street and was a chronic cell-phone abuser.

"Gotta use all those free weekend minutes," she said by way of explanation.

"Free except for the tumor you're going to get in your head from using that thing 24-7, you mean," said Cara.

"Hey, if I'm gonna die for something, it might as well be, like, communicating too much with my fellow humans," said Hayley. "Sue me."

"You just give, give, give," said Cara.

That was an expression Hayley's mom liked to use. "I give, give, give," she'd say, sighing. "I'm a giver."

"So is it crazy warm out or what? I mean, it's almost November!"

"If you're going to stand there doing nothing, you could always help me," said Cara, turning back to her pile of leaves.

"Are you kidding? Max gets to go out with that Zee chick, and then I have to grub around in the dirt while they're out there living it up?"

Hayley had had a crush on Max forever, even though she was almost three years younger than he was.

"Zee's nice," said Cara. "You'd like her if you gave her a chance."

"Um, she's my mortal enemy," said Hayley. "I don't want to like my enemy. That's the whole point of having one."

Cara thought about some quote her dad liked to use-keep your friends close and your enemies closer, or something. Actually, she didn't get it.

"So listen," said Hayley. "You want to do some wardrobe planning with me?"

"Uh, no?"

"For the trip!"

They had their first away-meet of the season tomorrow, a regional that would take the swim team to Boston. They'd get to miss two days of classes.

"OK, then here's my wardrobe planning," said Cara. "Jeans and sweaters."

"You can help me, then," said Hayley. "I mean, we're going to the big city. People have style there, Cara. You have to outdress the Joneses."

"In Boston? You told me it was the worst-dressed major city on the East Coast!"

"We don't live in the USA anymore, babe. We live on the internet."

Hayley had recently told the school's guidance counselor that, for her career, she planned to be a celebrity. Since they'd just started eighth grade, they all had to have a meeting with the counselor, a pasty lady who wore glasses and blobby orange earrings that looked like her kid had made them out of Model Magic. She favored multiple-choice questionnaires and made the students write out their "Interests and Goals" on a long, annoying form. It bore headings like Goals for this Year. Long-Term Goals.

Cara felt like saying, Hey. I'm in eighth grade here! So under Long-Term Goals she'd just written TBA.

But Hayley didn't suffer from those doubts. On her questionnaire, which she filled out at the lunch table sitting at Cara's elbow, she'd written Celebrity/Pop Star/Actress.

Hayley wasn't stuck up; she just knew what she wanted. Anyone could do it, she said. It was a matter of willpower. And luck.

Currently, however, her plans for fame were being flouted. In fact, she didn't personally "live on the internet" at all. Her mom wouldn't even let her onto basic social networking sites due to their being the gateway, as she put it, to molesters, abductors, and general perverts.

"Oh, fine," sighed Hayley finally, and stooped down to hold the trash can steady on its side so that Cara could rake the leaves in. "But after this, seriously. Let's go to my room, and I'll do a runway walk for you. You can rate my outfits."

"Big thrills."

That night dinner was just Cara, Max, and her dad, and Max was fifteen minutes late. He came banging through the front door and when he sat down at the table Cara could see he had a hickey on his neck.

Gross.

Or, as Jax would say, because he talked like their dad, "unsavory."

She did like Zee, but the thought of how the mark got there was disgusting anyway. How did Zee not get grossed out by Max, too? He picked the wax from his ears right in public. And scrutinized it.

She glanced at her dad to see if he'd noticed. But luckily for her older brother, it wasn't the kind of thing their dad would ever pay attention to.

"Tardy again, Max," he said, and lifted his wine glass. "This is becoming a habit."

"Sorry," said Max, and reached for a roll. Recently most of their dinners were prepared by Lolly, an older lady who often brought her toddler grandson along; tonight she'd served the square dinner rolls you bought unbaked in white cardboard trays at the Stop & Shop. Max could eat about eight of them in a row, so it was fortunate they came by the dozen.

"Next time make sure you're here at six on the dot," said their dad sternly.

"Yes, sir," said Max, only half joking.

"So, Cara," said her father. "I understand you're getting on a bus tomorrow morning with the swim team. You'll be away through Tuesday?"

"We're coming back Wednesday morning," said Cara. "Then we go to school for the rest of the day like usual. So I'll be home Wednesday night."

"Zee's going, too," said Max to their dad. "She's one of the best on the team at the hundred I.M."

"I.M.," mused their dad, lifting his fork to his mouth and looking preoccupied. The way he said it, it sounded like he thought it was a foreign language.

"Individual medley?" said Cara.

"Ah," said their dad, and nodded sagely to suggest he'd already known.

Cara remembered watching the Beijing Olympics a few years back; her dad had put his feet up in an armchair nearby and buried his nose in a thick book about the trial of Joan of Arc. He'd grumbled that spectator sports were "...primitive rituals. In the days of the Roman empire, in the games at the Coliseum, tens of thousands watched greedily as slaves tore each other limb from limb."

She wasn't sure what that had to do with Michael Phelps.

"So what's your event, Car?" asked Max.

"I'm just on a relay, is all," said Cara. She wasn't a star swimmer or anything; she just liked being in the water, which always made her feel calm. "Hayley's doing one of the big races, though. She qualified for freestyle."

"Huh. Who knew," said Max.

Hayley didn't practice too hard, but she had natural speed. Freestyle was the most competitive of all.

"And who'll be chaperoning?" asked their dad.

Ever since Max had his car accident while their dad was away at a conference, he worried more than he used to about adult supervision. Although the other kids knew it hadn't been Max's fault at all.

"Hayley's mom's taking time off the hair salon so she can go with us."

Hayley had not been happy about that. Anyone else's parent was a better option, according to her, even Mr. Abboud, who thought girls shouldn't go out of their houses without scarves covering their heads. Hayley's mom was divorced and, since Hayley was an only child, tended to focus on her a lot. Hayley had made her promise not to hover.

"Don't be a smother mother," she'd said severely, right in front of Cara.

Her mom smiled brightly, flecks of fuchsia-colored lipstick on her teeth.

"Don't stress, honeypie," she said. "If you want to flirt with the boys, I won't get in your way. As long as there's no kissing and you stick to the curfew, I'll be practically invisible."

Hayley cringed visibly at the word kissing. "You better," she said darkly.

Later she told Cara, "Just her saying flirt and kiss makes me want to actually vom."

Now Cara looked over at her dad, who was just putting down his fork.

"And is Jaye going, too?" he asked.

"Yeah, she's an alternate," said Cara.

"Good, good. Nice girl."

Parents always liked Jaye; they rolled their eyes at Hayley, but Jaye, who had good grades and a neat, polite way about her, got smiles and pats on the back.

"So, Max, you're on dish duty," he went on, pushing his plate away and looking at his watch. "It's time for me to check in with your brother."

They skyped Jax at the Institute at the same time every night to make sure he was OK. It had taken a lot of cajoling from the Institute people to persuade her dad to let Jax go there in the first place, especially during the school year.

"I'll make the call," said Cara.

She often emailed Jax, but she hadn't checked her inbox today and anyway it would be good to see him.

A few minutes later she was in front of the laptop in her bedroom, an old one of Jax's that he'd set up for her. Her dad didn't bother with computers except when he had to, so he pulled up a chair as she clicked on Jax's name and waited for him to answer.

His face filled the screen, peering at them. It was blurry and a little fish-eyed.

"Good Lord, Jackson, move back," said her dad irritably. "You're far too close."

Their father took technology as a personal offense. Occasionally he consented to use it, but then, when it wasn't perfect, he acted like it was basically their fault. As far as he was concerned, they'd personally invented the microchip.

Jax moved back a little; there was a delay and his image blurred. Still, Cara could see right away that something was wrong.

"So how's it going?" asked their dad.

"OK, I guess," said Jax, and started to drone on instantly about some programming they were having him do, glitches in software, blah blah blah. Cara's dad nodded but was already distracted; Cara noticed he checked his watch in record time. If there was anything the professor enjoyed less than using technology, it was hearing people talk about it.

And then she realized: this was Jax's crafty way of getting rid of him.

"Mm-hmm, sounds good, sounds good," said their dad when there was a pause in Jax's monologue. "And how are the meals going? Did they feed you that boring oatmeal again today?"

Jax shrugged, nodded, and kept talking so tediously about computers that Cara was impressed. Even she had no idea what he was saying; she figured she had to wait it out.

"Well, sorry, kids," said their dad in a fake regretful tone after about another minute of this. "I think I need to get back to the flagellants. You two go ahead though," he said generously, flapping his hand as he stood up. "Talk for as long as you want."

"Er, yeah, thanks, Dad," said Cara.

He didn't get that Skype was free.

"Jackson-same time tomorrow?"

"Sure, Dad," said Jax, and nodded with an impatience Cara thought had to be obvious.

But their dad didn't notice, just tipped an imaginary hat at the computer and closed Cara's bedroom door behind him.

"Smooth, Jax," said Cara.

"Listen," he said, and as he looked around, his image moved slowly, then froze before it started to move again. His voice dropped to a whisper. "There's something wrong here."

"I can't really hear you," said Cara. "If you're worried about someone hearing you, can you just email me or text or something?"

Jax's ESP wasn't a long-distance talent. He had to be near you to know what you were thinking.

"I can't read them," he went on, stage-whispering. "That's the first thing. I mean, the other kids, I can. They're normal kids, basically. Smart but normal. But not the people in charge. I can't read them at all."

"So-so what does that mean?" asked Cara.

"There are only two people I've met before that I couldn't really read," said Jax. "One's Mom. The other was... him."

He meant the Pouring Man-the elemental, as their mother had called him, who had come after them.

"You think the people there are-"

"No. They're not like him," said Jax. He was forgetting to whisper now. "They don't feel dead, or whatever that was-non-living. They're human and all, but I just can't read them. It's like there's a barrier there. I can't trust them, Cara. I don't trust them."

"Well, then come home!" said Cara, and felt pumped. She imagined their house with more lamps on, more talking, the warmth of company. "Tell Dad you want to! He'll drive right over the bridge after class tomorrow and get you."

"But that's the other thing," said Jax. "I found out something. And I think I have to stay a while longer. Because I need to find out more."

"What? What'd you find out?"

Behind Jax, in the rectangular field that was covered by his laptop's camera, a door opened in stop-action slow motion.

"Jax? ...ight meeting...rec room," said the small, dark head of another kid. It was too far away for the mic to pick up. Then the door closed again, and the head was gone.

"Remember that research material of Mom's?" Jax asked. "On how the oceans are turning more acid? You know-her data that got stolen? I was doing some investigating. I mean, I don't have the information itself or anything, but I was looking at some old work emails of hers. I got them off her iPad. And I found a conversation she was having with another scientist that suggested her info wasn't just the pH-level data other researchers have. What it looked like to me was, Mom found a major unknown source."

"Source of what?"

"Greenhouse gas," whispered Jax. "Shooting into the ocean. That's what makes the seawater acid, right? Our factories spew all those gases into the air, and they go into the ocean, among other places, and the ocean stores them. But the problem is, the more of those global-warming gases the ocean stores, the more acid the water is getting. See?"

"Sort of."

"Most of the pollution comes from cars and planes and power plants, right? Us burning coal and oil and gas. But the point is: Mom found another source. A source that isn't any of those. Another place the gases are coming from."

The door opened behind him again. This time the head that stuck through the crack was larger and higher off the ground. An adult. It wore black-framed glasses.

"Jax! We're waiting," said the head.

"OK," said Jax cheerfully. "Just talking to my big sister!"

"Talk later," said the head sternly, and disappeared. But the door stayed open.

"Gotta go," said Jax, dropping his cute-kid smile and sinking back to a stage whisper. "The key is this, Car: I think she did discover something unique. Something that's not widely known. This source. And I need to find out what it is. And where."

"OK. Well, so-but why do you have to do it there?"

"Better computing power. Faster connections, more access. I have to. Trust me. OK. Oops, gotta book."

And then he was gone, replaced by a small icon on Cara's empty screen.

Getting ready for bed after she finished packing for the trip, Cara decided the chaos in her room had finally gotten out of hand. These days, when she or Max or Jax did consent to tidy up, it was usually only because Lolly was threatening to use her powerful vacuum to suck their personal belongings off the floor, never to be seen again.

Lolly did a little housework, but she concentrated on the first floor and usually came into the kids' bedrooms only when (as she put it) she was forced to.

Cara started to pick up her room by the soft orange light of her old bedside lamp, patterned with seashells and starfish. Her mother had bought it for a dollar from a motel that was going out of business. The briny smell of the ocean wafted in a half-open window, mixed in with the faint bayside odor of fishy things-probably horseshoe crabs in mid-decay. She lifted clothes off the floor, straightened her desk and closet, then decided she could even change her sheets.

Hey, once every few months, why not?

After she pulled back the flowery turquoise coverlet and the jumble composed of the top sheet and blankets, she also lifted her pillow, and there, lying on the bottom sheet, was a small, blue eye on a silver band. Her favorite ring, a good-luck charm made of blown glass that her mother had given her. A nazar, they called them in Turkey, to ward off the evil eye-a good eye to ward off evil ones. She'd been missing it since the summer, and it'd been here all the time.

Huh, she thought, and picked the ring up to slide it back onto her finger. She thought ruefully of the fairy tale about the princess who slept on a pile of twelve mattresses and could still feel the tiny pea beneath. Not much of a princess, am I?

She found she was thinking of Jax again and what he had said about their mother's work: a source, an unknown source. Where and what could this source be? And what did it have to do with what had happened to them in August?

Her fingers still held the ring, settled now in its familiar place. Without knowing how she'd gotten there, she was lying on her bed-aware of her grimy sheets, the usual few grains of beach sand at the bottom-but she wasn't seeing her room anymore. She was shifting through the turquoises and blues of her covers without touching anything, and in front of her was darkness, and out of the darkness came bubbling, roiling black columns of what looked like smoke.

The smoke was dispersing strangely-through water, she thought, not air. It must be water.

The black clouds were coming out of bumpy black and brown and white chimneys, not manmade but maybe mineral, she guessed-towers jutting out of rock piles on what she thought must be the seabed. The black smoke came billowing out of these rough castle-like pillars-billowing and billowing in clouds that spread and bubbled up again until she felt hypnotized watching it.

But then she was moving closer to the rocks, right up to the towers and into the dark of the smoke and then emerging from it on the other side. There were tubelike creatures capped with plumes of red; there were lit-up floating animals that reminded her of shrimp. Others looked like jellyfish, and others, yet, the single-celled organisms she'd seen in biology class. They swirled around her until she passed them, too, and went farther down, burrowing through the ocean floor. Then it was black again and she couldn't see anything for a while-until she could.

She could see, but she couldn't understand. There was movement here, there were spaces-caverns maybe?-and streaks of light through the darkness like rivers of fire, she thought, but it was all too surreal; she couldn't see much beyond the blurs and flashes. She felt as though she were inside a volcano. Then she saw a line in front of her, an impossibly sharp, vertical line of gray, unlike anything else, that held her gaze. It was something recognizable, though she couldn't put her finger on it....

But she was in her bedroom again. Her old, familiar bedroom with its cozy disorder. She was sitting upright in a pile of rumpled bed linens, feeling a little dizzy. Outside she heard the crickets, the faint rhythmic wash of the tide. A low drumbeat from Max's room, where he was listening to music without his headphones.

She held up her finger, still faintly tanned from the summer, with its short, chewed nail and the blue-and-white nazar ring.

Definitely not a coincidence.

She'd mislaid the ring after what happened in August; now that she thought about it, she'd had no visions since then. Not a single one, at least that she remembered.

Until now.

Although...maybe the nightmares had been pieces of visions, trying to come through.

Not that she knew what she'd seen. But it had been a glimpse into something. She hadn't made it up.

And that meant the ring had to have powers: her mother had given her a talisman, not just a good-luck charm. She'd suspected before, but she hadn't known for sure. In a way, she thought curiously, she hadn't wanted to know. In a way, she had ignored the evidence.

The vision had to have something to do with Jax's theory about her mother's discovery, the so-called source. Which she'd been thinking about when she slid the ring onto her finger. That wasn't a coincidence, either.

It was all starting again, she thought, and felt the tiny hairs lift along her arms. She didn't know whether to feel excited or stubbornly rooted to the ground.

It wasn't that regular life fell away; it was that new elements appeared without warning.

It was the possible, opening up in midair.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

104K 5K 18
စံကောင်းမွန် + တခေတ်ခွန်း ငယ်ငယ်ကခင်မင်ခဲ့တဲ့ဆက်ဆံရေးကနေအကြောင်းတစ်ခုကြောင့်စိတ်သဘောထားကွဲလွဲပြီး ပြန်တွေ့တဲ့အချိန်မှာသူဌေးနဲ့အလုပ်သမားဆက်ဆံရေးဖြစ်သွ...
30.1K 1.4K 23
""SIT THERE AND TAKE IT LIKE A GOOD GIRL"" YOU,DIRTY,DIRTY GIRL ,I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE BOOK🌝🌚
139K 8.9K 42
Elizabeth has been ruling her kingdom for 3 years now. She's gone through countless advisors in those 3 years. When she's finally ready to give up on...
29.8K 3K 70
A story following a young hunter named Jay. He has grown up in a world where dungeons, monsters, and humans with leveling systems are a cultural norm...