The Nuisance Across The Hall

By ArianaLeigh313

Naomi Jackson is a twenty-two year old single mom with a sassy little four year old, Sofia. Naomi has a day f... More

One: New Place, New Us
Two: Hot Stuff
Three: Crap is a Bad Word
Four: Daddy Issues
Five: The Park Days are Over
Seven: The Stolen Paper Plate
Eight: Is a Tomato a Fruit or a Vegetable?
Nine: Sweet Cheeks Invades My Home Again
Ten: A.M. Convos Get Deep
Eleven: Blanket Burritos and Oatmeal
Twelve: This Is Halloween Pt. 1
Thirteen: This is Halloween pt. 2
Fourteen: Sleepy Elevator Rides
Fifteen: Taco Bell and Sweatshirts
Sixteen: The Best Worst Date
Seventeen: Waffles And Intersections
Eighteen: Tests, Stitches, and Pudding
Nineteen: Garden Walks and Chicken Nugg Talks
Twenty: Diplomas and DS's

Six: Snow White likes Skittles

1.5K 53 6
By ArianaLeigh313

     Walmart was a mess, as usual. Halloween was in two weeks so skeletons and pumpkins were lining the shelves.

     When we passed by the costume section, Sophia grabbed my hand and asked "Mommy, can I get my Halloween costume today?"

     "Don't you want me to make you one like I always do?" I asked in return. Every year I always make her a costume way better than one you could buy. Not to mention it's way more affordable.

     She shook her head and said, "But this year I want to be a certain person, so I need their clothes." She told me.

     "Who do you want to be?" Zack asked her, walking us over to the costume section.

     "Snow White!" Sophia jumped when she said her name.

     "What am I supposed to be? One of the dwarfs?" I asked her. I always let her pick what I am. But there is no way I'm dressing up as a dwarf.

     "I think you could pull of Grumpy," Zack said as he nudged me with his elbow.

     "Well, I think Sleazy fits you best." I retorted back, crossing my arms

     "That's not even a dwarf." Zack pointed out.

     "They saved the title just for you," I informed him, sending him a sarcastic smile.

     "Feisty." He mumbled where Sophia couldn't hear him.

     My sarcastic smile dropped to a serious glare. Why was I here with this douche again?

     "You can be Maid Marian," Sophia said, pulling me from Zack's stupid green eyes.

     "Who?" Zack questioned as he looked through the messy shelves.

     "The girl fox from Robin Hood, duh," Sophia told him. At least she isn't sassy just to me.

    Zack turned his head to me and raised an eyebrow. I rolled my eyes at him. Hasn't he ever seen the animated version?

     "Robin Hood is her favorite Disney movie." I clarified for him.

     He pursed his lips and nodded, going back to the princess display in front of him.

     "So can we get me a costume today? Please?" Sophia asked, pulling on my arm.

     "I don't know, sweetie. You know I don't have much money." I told her, squatting down to her level.

     It broke my heart to see her face fall. She's only four but understands we're essentially broke. I want to buy her a costume, but I just can't afford it. I also didn't need Zack knowing either. I feel like I wouldn't hear the end of it from him.

     "Okay," Sophia mumbled. Her eyes fell to the ground along with her frown.

     I stood up and grabbed her hand. Luckily, Zack didn't mention Sophia's sudden mood change as we left the costume aisle. 

     We walked with Zack as he grabbed whatever he needed. After grabbing soap, windshield wiper fluid, and a case of coke, we headed to the self check-out line.

     "Hey Tiny Tot, what candy do you like?" Zack asked Sophia as we waited.

     She lifted her head and said, "Skittles are my favorite."

     Zack grabbed a pack of skittles from the selection next to the check-out machine. He scanned the candy first and then handed them to Sophia.

     "Enjoy." He bluntly said as he scanned his other items.

     Sophia's eyes grew wide and a huge smile was planted on her face. She attached herself to Zack's leg and chanted "Thank you!" Over and over.

     "Yeah yeah. It's no big deal, Squirt." He said as he awkwardly patted her head.

     Sophia tore open the pack of skittles as we walked out of the store.

     "What color do you want, Mommy?" She asked me, digging through the bag. 

     "Red," I answered as I unlocked the car.

     She handed me two red skittles and asked Zack the same question.

     "Actually I forgot something in the store. You two go ahead and head back." He told us as he turned on his heel, heading back into Walmart.

     Shrugging him off, Sophia and I climbed into our seats and we headed home.

     We got home and Sophia went straight to the TV with her skittles. After scanning the few movies we had, she picked Tangled and stuck it into the DVD player.

     "Come watch Tangled with me!" Her high voice called all the way to me in the kitchen where I was getting ready to mop.

     "I will when I'm done cleaning!" I called back. Sophia had spilled tea on the floor a few days ago and didn't get all the sticky residue up.

     I heard the intro of the movie begin to play when there was a knock on our door.

     "I'll get it!" Sophia called, jumping off the couch.

     "Ask who it is first!" I told her, moving to where I could see the door.

     "Who is it?" She asked as she pressed her ear to the door.

     "The little mermaid." A female voice echoed from the opposite side.

     Sophia's eyes widened as she swung the door open for Sky. The red-haired child trapped in an adult body ran into my apartment, picking Sophia up along the way. With my daughter squealing and Sky making a strange animal noise, they crashed onto the couch.

     "Mommy has to clean. Will you watch Tangled with me?" Sophia asked as she sat up on the couch.

     "Well duh!" Sky blurted out. Now I know where Sophia gets that from. "Do you have any popcorn?" She asked my child.

     "She had skittles, she doesn't need popcorn!" I called from the kitchen, finishing up the mopping.

     I heard Sophia complain but I rolled my eyes and put the mop away. It was about lunchtime so I was getting ready to make sandwiches when Sky came into the kitchen.

     "She's not getting popcorn," I told her before she could even try to negotiate.

     She rolled her eyes and smiled. "I'll have you know I came here for a hug." Sky said as she walked towards me with her arms open.

     We gave each other a tight hug and I joked. "Sorry. I just assumed you came to defy my parenting again."

     "Not all the time." Sky replied. "Go take a nap." She told me.

      Not sure I heard correctly I asked "What?"

     "You're exhausted. Go take a nap before work tonight. That's why I'm here early." She told me.

     "How'd you know I'd be tired?" I asked her.

     "Because you have Sophia as a daughter." She said like it was obvious.

     I laughed and said "I don't have time for a nap. I have to make lunch and then study-"

     "I'll make lunch and you can study when you wake up." Sky cut me off.

     After a minute of hesitation, I finally caved. "Alright. But just for two hours." I handed her the jar of peanut butter in my hand and made my way to the living room.

     "What's for lunch?" Sophia asked as I approached her.

     "Sky is going to make you a sandwich while I go take a little nap," I told her. I bent down and kissed her head. "Behave for Sky," I told her and she nodded like always.

     When I reached my room, I pulled a sweatshirt over my head and crawled into bed. I didn't realize how tired I was until my head hit my pillow.

-

       I woke up to screaming. I just love waking up to high pitched screaming. It calms me down so much.

     I launched myself out of bed and into the living room. I didn't know what to expect. Maybe something horrible happened? No, Sky and Sophia were having a tickle fight on the couch.

     I didn't bother the two and their fun so instead I picked up my school work and began studying. Next time I have trouble falling asleep, I'll just read one of my textbooks.

     As I was opening my books on my bed, I leaned over to my bedside table for a pencil. Sitting next to my alarm clock was a small plate of cookies and a glass of milk.

     I picked up the plate and noticed the small note on top. The note read:

     I love you mommy so very much and I hope cookies make you happy like they make Santa happy

     My eyes teared up at the sweet gesture my daughter made. It was obvious Sophia had written the note. The handwriting wasn't very neat but it was colorful. She must've gotten Sky to help her with some of the words.

     I bit into the first cookie and noticed it was still gooie and warm. The chocolate chips were melted and it was like heaven in my mouth.

     After the two cookies and some milk, I finally began studying. Who knew financial agreements could be so boring.

     It didn't take but fifteen minutes for my study session to come to a halt. Sky and Sophia came barging in and jumped onto my bed. Luckily, I managed to move my textbooks out of the way.

     "Mommy! Sky said she will take me to see The Secret Life of Pets tomorrow. Can I go? Please! Please! Please!" Sophia's voice rang in my ear.

     I looked over at Sky. Her eyes were full of hope. I could tell she genuinely wanted to take Sophia to the movies. Sometimes I wonder if Sophia liked Sky more than me. She can obviously provide more than I can.

     "She can even stay at my place tonight so you don't have to worry about rushing home after work," Sky mentioned.

     It wouldn't be the first time Sophia stayed with Sky. Besides, she has been dying to see that movie ever since she saw the trailer for it.

     "I don't have a problem with it," I told them and they both grew big smiles.

     After tackling me onto the bed with hugs, they went to Sophia's room to pack an overnight bag. About ten minutes later, they came back in and told me their goodbyes.

     "You better not give Sky a hard time tomorrow," I told Sophia as I hugged her.

     Pulling away, she rolled her eyes and said "I'm always good, Mommy. Stop worrying."

     Sky and I laughed at my daughter and then hugged each other.

     "Don't worry, Naomi. I'll take good care of her." She told me as they walked out of the door. 

     As they walked out, I noticed Zack in the hall. He said hey to Sky and then invited himself into my apartment.

     "You know, it's considered rude walking into someone else's home without an invite," I told him, crossing my arms.

     He shrugged and said "What can I say? I'm not really well behaved."

     "No shit," I muttered under my voice so he couldn't hear. "Is there something I can help you with?" I asked him, louder than before.

     "I'm bored." He told me.

     "And I don't care," I replied.

      He chuckled and walked to my couch "Why so rude, Hot Stuff?"

     "Why do you keep calling me that?" I asked, clearly frustrated.

     He patted the spot next to him on the couch. "Come take a load off. You seem extra uptight." He said, ignoring my question.

     "No. That's my couch. Get off of it." I demanded. I don't need his rude germs on my furniture.

     "Damn, girl. What crawled up your ass in the past few hours?" He snickered.

     "Nothing." I defended. "I have to get ready for work so you need to leave."

     "What do you think I'm gonna do? Steal your paper plates?" He mocked.

     This boy really knows how to push someone's buttons. Why can't he just leave me alone?

     "Look. I need to get ready for work and I'd appreciate you leaving my house. You've said it yourself. There is nothing here for you." I told him, crossing my arms and hoping he'd leave.

     "There's you." He said with a smirk and a wink.

     My face began to burn up at the remark. I turned away so he wouldn't be able to see my blush and said, "Fine, just be gone by the time I'm done getting ready." Before he could say anything else, I walked into my room and closed my door, hard.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.8K 77 65
"I had found the woman I wanted to marry... Until I screwed it all up." Eighteen year old Jarrett Parker lives in a house neighbored by his one and o...
277K 6.9K 31
A secret worth keeping. ~*~ Quinn Brent just moved back from South Carolina after her father's death. All the years she has been away, she's been thi...
25.6K 814 32
COMPLETE✔️ "I'm wondering how many years you still have to be here. You've already been here quite a while Gather. Such a shame for a pretty girl lik...
683 159 12
A crazy twisted love story about a woman named Naomi. Struggling to figure out how she got herself into a crazy situation. One that can lead down a v...