Coming Down ➢ Steve Rogers

By -lovegood

"My yesterdays walk with me. They keep step; they are grey faces that peer over my shoulder." [TWS - CW] star... More

preface
prologue
- part one -
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
- part two -
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
- part three -
twenty eight
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four
thirty five
thirty six
thirty seven
epilogue

twenty nine

6.9K 208 13
By -lovegood

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Life at the Avenger's Complex was different to any sort of life Delaney had lived before. She'd been confined within white walls, lived alone in an apartment while working for S.H.I.E.L.D; resided in shoddy, cheap rooms while on the run; in the cheap room during her mission against her parents. None of those buildings had been a place she could call home - more like a temporary residential area.

The Avenger's Complex changed all of that.

She wasn't alone. There was space for all the Avengers. It was permanent. She wasn't on the run. She could decorate her room however she wished - one wall was devoted entirely to a bookshelf. 

The place got messy, dishes left in the sink, people waking up at different times and eating breakfast at varying hours of the morning, and wearing different things. Delaney had no shame when, buying a complete wardrobe for the first time, to buy and wear shirts with different Harry Potter designs on them.

It was a place she could call home.

It was a place she could belong.

In that months that passed since Sokovia, Delaney and the others had settled in quickly. The move from Avenger's Tower hadn't even been a bother. This place had even better facilities to train and experiment, even if they did miss Bruce, Thor, and Pietro.

It had been Delaney, Clint, and Vision who had spent the most time with Wanda in the wake of her twin's death. The girl had come closer to Delaney ever since she broke down in front of her. Delaney had become very fond and protective of the younger girl: she and Clint had almost become parental figures. Delaney was there to listen to Wanda and went the extra mile to make her feel comfortable. She helped Wanda set up her room, organised long movie marathons, cooked food traditional to her home.

When Wanda's broken heart slowly began to mend, Delaney had dragged her out more often, and witnessed just how fierce and strong Wanda Maximoff was. They had sparred frequently, practiced their powers together, or gone out to shop together - sometimes with Natasha, sometimes without. 

Her relationships with the others had also been affected by constant close proximity - apart from perhaps Natasha and Clint. They'd always been close, so this was really no different. Their bonds remained as strong as ever.

Delaney found she could discuss her long-lost passion for science with Tony. She hadn't been able to pursue it while on the run, but now Tony was more than willing to help her pick it back up again. He expanded her knowledge and even allowed her to enter his lab a fair few times. Though Delaney wanted to hit him sometimes on count of his constant sarcasm, Delaney saw beyond that and knew he genuinely cared, and that he was more vulnerable than he let on, wearing that bravado like a mask. Delaney thought she and Rhodey might have been the only ones to suspect what was going on with Pepper, though she was too nervous to bring the topic up. Surely it was a sore spot.

The quick friendship she'd established with Sam also deepened. It was always lighthearted fun around Sam Wilson. They teased each other mercilessly - Sam about her relationship with Steve, and Delaney about how, if she had been there, she could have stopped the man who called himself Ant-Man (she had been on a date with Steve at the time). Sam was so warm that it was impossible not to like him. Despite their teasing, they always went out of the way to help the other.

Then there was Vision and Rhodey. Delaney was starkly different to Vision, as they all were, but he was interesting to talk to. Rhodey was brilliant. Whenever they were in the same room as Tony, they didn't let him catch a break. He was steadfast, kind, and strong in principles.

And then, of course, there was Steve.

Things were different, ever since that kiss. They were closer, spent more time together, found excuses to do things as a pair. And, since they lived together and always saw one another, they only grew more intimate. They were often found sitting quietly together - anyone might have thought they were silent, though really, they talked in their minds, where only they could hear what the other said. There was something dear about communicating in this manner, when no one else had any clue what they might be discussing.

There'd also been numerous dates: quiet cafes, movie marathons, and Steve even took her out dancing numerous times. Whenever they ddi, Delaney dressed as though she was from the 1940s herself. That never failed to make Steve smile, which was more often than not followed by a kiss.

"This reminds me of the few dances Bucky made me attend," he said once, "Though I never danced back then. Nor did many girls seem interested in me as a partner, either, since I always stepped on their feet."

Bucky. The Winter Soldier. Steve's best friend. 

Steve had been searching for him since the events of Washington. He was even more elusive than Rumlow - not that that was hard. Though, Delaney knew Steve was worried about his friend. Ever since her return, Delaney had resolved to assist him in his investigation as much as possible.

Of course, they hadn't escaped the mercy of the others, and were subject to numerous jokes. Delaney had threatened to use her powers if it continued, but it was an empty threat. The others still took the drug that nullified her powers, as per her request. Even by accident, the minds of her team were those she least wanted to alter, even momentarily. It made her feel better knowing she couldn't touch them and though they didn't mention anything, she was sure the others were relieved as well.

Over the past few months, the Avengers had all established their own bonds, and now they were more than a team. It was like they were family. They understood each other and looked out for each other constantly, no questions asked.

So when one of them was down, it was instantly noticed, and acted upon.

They weren't a complete team if someone was broken.

+++

Delaney knew the incident in Wakanda was hurting Wanda to the core. It was hurting all of them - their transport had been unusually quiet for the journey back. Even Steve and Delaney had barely touched each other's minds, apart to confirm how the other was. Guilt gnawed at Delaney's heart and she felt cold. She curled into herself for warmth. Whenever her thoughts strayed to the horror of the screams, debris, and dead civilians, she wanted to throw up.

Battles got easier. Dealing with the aftermath on civilians never did.

But out of all of them, Wanda had been the most reserved. Her eyes were as lifeless as outer space, her face as white as chalk, with a tinge of grey. She'd wrapped her arms around her knees and sat apart from the rest, clearly not wanting to be disturbed.

When they arrived back at the compound, Wanda was the first to exit, walking with fierce, long strides. Delaney watched her leave, stomach churning.

"I need to check on her," she muttered to Steve. "She needs a friend."

Steve nodded and squeezed her hand. "That would probably be best."

Delaney nodded and walked to Wanda's room. She barely paused to acknowledge the others, though she noted how grim they were. No surprise there. She was solemn herself.

Wanda's door was shut. Delaney hesitated before knocking.

"Wanda? It's Lane. Can I come in?"

A pause. Delaney leaned in closer to the door. She thought she heard the telltale sign of a muffled sob.

"Sure." Wanda's voice was nasally.

Delaney pushed the door open and stepped inside, closing it gently behind her. Wanda's room was clean and elegant, though numerous elements betrayed her youth: the wall of photos, knick-knacks spread across the room, her choice of bed sheets.

Wanda sat on top of those purple sheets now. Her face was red; Delaney could see tear stains despite Wanda's attempts to wipe them away.

Delaney took her seat beside Wanda, and laid a gentle hand on her knee.

"I know how you feel, because I'm feeling it too," she said softly, kindly. "All of us. We always do, at the end of every battle. We may not seem affected as you, but that's just because we've learned how to conceal it."

Wanda's eyes remained glued to her knees.

"It was my fault," she said thickly. "I caused that explosion. I sent it up to that building - everything that happened, it's my fault."

"No, it wasn't. Rumlow was the one to set off the bomb, not you. And if you hadn't reacted, so many more people on the ground would have been killed." Delaney sighed "I'm not telling you not to feel guilt - just to look at it from another perspective. It could have easily turn out worse."

Wanda sniffed. "The world's going to hate me, though."

Delaney winced inwardly. She had a point. Ever since the Avengers became a private organisation, the Avengers received far more scrutiny from media reporters. They never failed to notice and report a failure, no matter how miniscule.

But for something as public as this? Surely there were news reports airing even now. They'd attack the Avengers through Wanda - for there was no doubt journalists would not see that other perspective.

"It'll pass," Delaney said bracingly. "It always does. Hell, when my power was revealed to the world... Now that was a storm that took a while to die down, if you recall."

Wanda smiled weakly. "I suppose. But it doesn't make things easier."

Delaney wrapped an arm around Wanda's shoulders and held her, the action feeling strangely motherly.

"You're strong, Wanda. You'll get through this."

Wanda nodded in acknowledgement. They stayed there, in silence, for some time. Delaney didn't move unless she heard a sob pass Wanda's lips, in which case she'd rub her back to remind her she wasn't alone.

Only when night fell did Delaney speak again, encouraging Wanda to eat dinner. Wanda pushed the offer aside, and Delaney didn't pursue it. She in no way expected Wanda to bounce back that quickly. She needed time, and time was something that was so easy to offer.

Steve was waiting outside, a steaming bowl of noodles in his hands. He smiled wryly when Delaney exited.

"I wasn't sure if I should knock," he said.

Delaney took the bowl from him and brought it to her nose, inhaling deeply. 

"You'd have been fine," she said, already beginning to devour the meal. "What about Wanda?"

"I believe Vision's taking care about that."

Sure enough, mere seconds later Delaney heard Wanda moan, "Vis, we've talked about this."

Steve and Delaney glanced sideways at the other and laughed.

"So how's she doing?" Steve asked. He eyed the door with considerable concern.

"As good as can be expected. Give her time."

"I'm worried. This would be the first time she ends up caught in public spotlight."

Delaney closed her eyes. "I know. I wish they wouldn't scrutinise us so much."

"Hard not to, considering our power as a group."

Delaney leaned against the wall and sighed. Steam swirled before her as her breath moved the air.

"I hate this sometimes," she muttered. "I know we're protecting the world, but the additional attention? I wish it didn't exist. It makes me feel trapped, like I can't breathe without someone analysing that movement and telling everyone else what I'm doing wrong."

Steve took the hand that wasn't holding the bowl of noodles, and pressed a kiss to her temples. "It almost makes you wish S.H.I.E.LD still existed."

"Indeed."

Delaney leaned her head on Steve's side. They stood alone in the corridor for some time, drinking in the temporary peace that was no doubt the calm before the storm. The last half of Delaney's noodles turned cold as she considered what the aftermath of the Wakanda incursion could be - and absolutely dreaded it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5K 263 56
. Her time running from the law has come to an end. Now it's her chance to prove she's earned it. Sequel of Redemption. #20 in gaurdiansofthegalaxy 0...
269K 7.3K 42
BOOK 1 About five years ago, a one night stand tore Bucky's life apart. It was also the night before his wedding. Now he's married to her sister and...
2.2K 88 16
a courageous survivor of domestic, mental, and sexual abuse moves to new york, only to find her clutter followed. she finds love in unexpected circum...
9.3K 370 29
𝘼𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙮 𝙒𝙖𝙡𝙠𝙚𝙧, 𝙤𝙗𝙡𝙞𝙜𝙖𝙩𝙚𝙙 𝙞𝙣𝙩𝙤 𝙝𝙚𝙧 𝙗𝙧𝙤𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧'𝙨 𝘾𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙖𝙞𝙣 𝘼𝙢𝙚𝙧𝙞𝙘𝙖 𝙬𝙤𝙧𝙡𝙙, 𝙟𝙪𝙜𝙜𝙡𝙚𝙨 𝙨𝙚𝙘𝙧𝙚𝙩𝙨...