Gatecrashing Gatecrasher

By whiskeyedpoet

Lauren Grace thought it was sudden downfall after a huge breakup with her two-year boyfriend Guile Fresco. Mo... More

• a u t h o r ' s n o t e •
• p r o l o g u e •
• b e g i n n i n g s •
• k a f f e 1 6 6 8 •
• b e s t f r i e n d •
• ga t e c r a s h e r •
• c o f f e e •
• m e e t i n g s •
Chapter seven
Chapter eight
Chapter nine
Chapter eleven
Chapter twelve
Chapter thirteen
Chapter fourteen
Chapter fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter seventeen
Chapter eighteen
Chapter nineteen
Chapter twenty

Chapter ten

153 45 199
By whiskeyedpoet

This chapter is dedicated to Crystal-Riet for a non-stop support in this book.

Looking at the wall clock hanging at the top of my doorway, it says two-thirty PM. Three hours and thirty minutes left before six and I'm getting ready as early as I could.

Opening my closet, I looked for a very good dress. There's no new dresses, most are from my high school which I used during homecomings or parties. I only have few dress because I usually don't buy when it's not necessary.

I still looked for a dress, though they were all awfully bad. But I ended up with a white, plain, and no print shirt. I decided not to wear a dress, it's actually a bit uncomfortable. Why should I even bother dressing myself? We're not going on a date. It's a coffee break and eating together. Besides, I believe Chuck wouldn't care at all 'cause we're just friends.

Looking at myself in the mirror, with the white, plain shirt and faded jeans, I nearly want to mock myself. I looked like I'm going to a funeral wake, well, some families wear all white or all black when someone dies.

He wouldn't care at all, I gave myself a thought. I let my fawn brown hair down, cascading through my broad shoulders. Searching for something to wear on my feet, I only found a pair of All-star shoes.

Just as I finished tying my shoelaces, I stood up and was ready to leave. Examining myself again on the mirror, I let out a deep breath. Of course, nothing's wrong if I dress myself like this. Chuck never told me the rules and regulations on going on a coffee break with him.

But wouldn't he feel bad about this, me being plain? What if he prepared himself so much and I was here doing no effort?

I sighed, I wish Phoebe's here to help me out. It was then that I saw a lip gloss. Well, wearing lipstick is not my thing. Phoebe insisted on giving me a lipstick for Christmas before but I said no so, she gave me lip gloss.l instead.

I took it and bring the lip gloss wand to my lips, stroking it. It doesn't even change my lips; it's always pale. The only visible thing is that it shone. I also don't wear makeup but I have to, for Chuck's sake. So, I applied a little makeup just enough to cover my pimples.

Upon closing the door, I feel like this isn't going to be bad. At least, I did a little effort. Well, Chuck should be thankful I did.

I wanted to surprise Chuck. It's too idle when a guy always walks infront of the girl's door. Maybe I could add some spice on it. Maybe I could reverse anything into something more enjoyable.

•••

Standing on his front door, getting ready to give in my first knock, I let out a deep breath.

Okay, this is fun, it's still 4:45 PM. He wouldn't mock me, right? I gave myself a thought.

Just as my fist is about to hit the door to knock, someone opened the door and I ended up knocking on his face.

"Don't beg me to hang out with your girl again, Cain-"

I immediately brought my hands to my mouth. I was shocked! Most of all, sorry, for hitting his face so hard. I thought no one's going to open the door.

"Shoot! Sorry! I'm so sorry, Chuck!" I pleaded, looking worried and started examining his face.

"Uh-oh. She's here," he sang, his voice echoing in his huge house.

What? He doesn't even care I hit his face? This guy is totally the weirdest of all.

"I'm sorry! I thought the door's closed." I apologized for the second time.

"It's totally fine, Lauren," he said while smirking, his eyebrows raising up and down.

"Are you sure?" I asked, greatly worried.

"Sure as a yes."

"Uh, okay? So, uhmm, where are you up to?" I asked, rubbing my palms together because they usually tend to sweat when I'm nervous.

"I was looking for the car keys. Would you mind waiting inside?"

"Sure," I nodded, moving my feet inside of the house.

Stepping on the carpeted floor as if this was my first time, I began scanning the place again. Nothing's ever change since I last came here. Well, it was just two days ago. What kind of statement was that?

Looking at the tintless window near the sofa, I was gasped in astonishment of the view outside. The sun started to set giving rise to a reddish-orange sky. I slightly opened the curtains to see whatever it is that could be seen at the back of his house. I could see nothing but his garage, car, and Chuck on it.

Not too long, he caught me looking through the window. He smirked and showed me the car keys as if I'm the one who needs it now.

I was about to check out the time when I noticed that I wasn't wearing my wristwatch. I looked through my pockets and then, my hands caught it in one of the smallest pockets of my faded jeans.

Just as I was about to wrap it around my wrist, I accidentally dropped it. Sighing, I leaned over the floor to look for it.

It fell under the huge cabinet, in which, I believe is where he places his old utensils. I brought ny hands under to search for my watch using my hands but I could hardly find it.

It took me a few seconds to look for my watch. And it also took Chuck a few minutes or so to look for his car keys when in fact I just saw he is holding it earlier.

Not too long, I caught my watch. It was then, something caught my hand. It was another person's hand. I wanted to get away from it and never touch it, but it's something that I was looking for too long ago. It was that hand I used to touch for a few minutes just to dance in the middle of the forest.

I wanted to linger on his hands. I never wanted to remove my hands from touching it because he is also touching my hands.

"What are you looking for, Lauren?"

I snapped as Chuck came inside the room and I touched the hands under the cabinet. I glanced at him again.

I thought he has a younger sibling. Why does this feel like a grown guy's hand? The prominent veins in the back of the hands seemed like it isn't a five-year-old.

"Wait, how many siblings do you have?"

"One?" said he, still confused why I asked.

"Girl? Boy?" I interrogated, my hands still on top of the other person's hand.

"Secret," he skidded inside the room and getting his jacket lying on the sofa.

"Is he or she home or at school?"

"School."

I gasped and removed my hands from the other creature's hand. He can't be certainly joking me. I ran towards him and hid behind his back, wrapping my wristwatch on me. He looked at me while I was here, literally terrified.

"No ghost in my house, seriously."

"Seriously, Chuck. Let's get out of this house. It's creepy."

He just laughed and looked at the mirror, combing his hair using his fingers. It was then that a tall guy ran upstairs immediately. I doubt Chuck saw it because he was busy taking care of his hair.

"Chuck?"

"What? I'm getting ready because you came in early," he replied annoyingly as he sprayed a perfume on his clothes.

I ignored his statement and continued hiding behind his back.

"Don't tell me you didn't hear him-his footsteps-running upstairs?"

"I swear, I'm home alone. Let's go," said he, grabbing my hands so, we could get out of the house and go to wherever he plans to for our scheduled coffee break.

•••

The ride to one of the famous coffee shop in New York was filled with silence. Well, it was just eight to ten minutes away from Chuck's house. I haven't talked nor did he opened up a topic.

When he stopped the engine, I immediately walked in front of the coffee shop's door. I couldn't wait for him any longer to open the car door because like I said so, I am not disabled. He followed me and looked at me, smiling.

"Shall we?" he asked, motioning inside.

I just followed him; I couldn't feel it really fun because I'm dead scared with what happened earlier at his house.

Just as the waiter gave us the menu book, I told him to buy me anything. I told him that I'll have whatever he wants to have. Well, I looked crazy. I was just looking at the empty table, never bothering to smile back when the waiter said he'll be back in a few minutes.

"Can you at least tell me why you're wearing a t-shirt and faded jeans with your All-star shoes?" he started.

I looked at him.

"And can you tell me why should I need to dress up when you're only wearing a simple one, too? Why should I even bother to dress up when we are just hanging out with a coffee on our table?" I answered him sarcastically.

"Well, it's fine for guys. But girls should be more attractive to look at," he defended himself.

"I don't care no matter how pitiful I am to everyone's eyes."

"Here's your order Mister Chuck and Miss Lauren. Enjoy!" said a girl who was just here earlier to get our order and placed two cup of coffee in the table.

"How'd she know my name?" I asked, in a low voice just after she walked away.

"Good baristas always asks their customers' name. I told her when you were moping around with your life earlier," he answered, teasing me.

I rolled my eyes at him. He just gave me an irritating chuckle. Heck, I want to choke him to death.

"Care to tell me what happened to you earlier?" he inquired, sipping his still hot coffee. I wouldn't doubt he might have halitosis soon.

"Don't lie to me. Are you sure no one's really home aside from you?" I kept on prying.

"When I said no, I meant it."

I sighed and once again brought the coffee to my mouth. This is getting me crazy and once again, scared as ever.

"Well, might as well get away from that house. Some evil being is wandering around your house and it might play with your five-year-old sibling."

"Excuse myself miss and sir, we have free wi-fi connection, here is our password." The girl offered, who was just here a few minutes ago to deliver the coffee on our table.

I rolled my eyes and looked at the small paper she just gave us.

"What?" Chuck inquired.

"If I'm as bad as evil, perhaps, I already slapped her face for disturbing us. Look," I handed him the small paper.

Iloveyou143

He laughed like a lunatic. Seriously, he could get crazy as much as I do. I don't understand him because sometimes he has different behaviours.

"What a stupid password!" he whispered.

"Yeah, right?" I agreed.

"But I still need it."

"Of course you need it so, you can tweet that you are on a coffee shop right now. You're more of a social media guy, aren't you?"

"Nope. So, I can post your picture on Instagram."

My eyes widened in shock and I have a huge feeling he has the picture of my stupidest face.

"You have Instagram? What's your username?"

"Nah-uh. Careful, Lauren. I'm not gonna tell you."

"I won't press follow, man. I'll just stalk you for the meantime to see how funny your faces are so, I'll forget how creepy your house is."

"Too much of an explanation, Lauren."

"What photo are you going to post?" I asked, afraid that it might be some of my funniest face.

"A picture of you, sleeping, drooling, and-"

Before he could finish, I immediately reached for his phone. This can't be, I don't want to be mocked on social media or in front of whoever his friends are.

"Hahaha, I was kidding!" he laughed boisteriously.

I rolled my eyes at him. Right, one post of me looking stupid, I'll definitely kill him.

"Hey, Chuck! Just asking, why do you always go to Kaffe 1668? You really love our coffee, right?"

"It's a secret thing."

"Who are you stalking? A regular customer in the shop?"

"Yep."

Wow. That was short and sure.

"Do I know her?"

"Him."

I brought my hands to my mouth and controlled myself from laughing.

"You're a gay?" My eyes widened in amazement.

"Judging, eh?"

"Uh, no. Sorry. But, seriously?"

"No. I'm an investigator."

I rolled my eyes and took another sip of coffee.

"No kidding, Chuck."

"Okay. I have a boring life. I go to med school and forget medical terminologies after an exam. Happy?" He sipped on his coffee.

"Wow. That's great. I have a friend, future doctor."

"Nah. I'm too tired to be serious." He sighed as if it's the last one.

"Okay. That's your decision."

I couldn't give him an advice because after all, I've never been a good student before.

"Hey, I was just wondering. You mentioned a name Cain earlier at your house and-"

"What Cain? I didn't know any Cain. You must have heard it wrong."

"Sure you don't know any Cain?" I confirmed again.

I heard him mentioned the name; I was just wondering maybe he knows him.

"Not encountered Cain in my life."

I nodded. I'm listening to what he's talking about but I'm not really paying attention. I immediately coughed out the coffee from my mouth when I saw my high school classmate pregnant. She posted a photo on Instagram and said her baby is 32 weeks AOG. I don't really understand what AOG is but really, the news is shocking.

"What on earth-"

I covered my mouth in shocked when I saw his shirt became wet.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Chuck! I didn't mean to coughed out in your shirt! I'm sorry!"

Damn, I'm being stupid today. I hit his face earlier when I thought it was the door and now, I coughed out the coffee, the hot coffee from my mouth.

"It's fine. I'll go to the bathroom," he said, standing up.

"I'm sorry," I pleaded, trying to prove him I really am.

"It's fine. Just wait here, I'll be back."

"Okay."

I continued scrolling on my phone to look for any decent posts that would never get the person I'm with in trouble again. It was then that a phone in the table buzzed to life.

It was his phone. Maybe it's his younger brother. I could finally talk to his younger sibling.

I took the phone with my hands and my eyes widened in shock when I saw the name on the screen.

Cain.

I thought he knows no Cain for his entire life. So, Chuck lied?

Pressing the answer button, I brought the phone to my ear.

"Hello?" I asked, not knowing why I'm nervous and feeling tensed as ever.

Nothing answered. But I could hear a deep breathing. It sounds like Chuck calling me earlier, when he is nervous. It sounds like the different side of Chuck.

"Hello?" I said once again.

Then, the call ended.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.5K 1.8K 18
"Show me somethin' different once, I come from where there's no love." COPYRIGHT 23. #1 ATLANTA 05/01/2024 🏆
393K 11.2K 53
what happened when the biggest mafia in the world hid his real identity and married an innocent, sweet girl?
360K 9.4K 32
Princess Marie, a renowned troublemaker of Paris has entered the Ton. Marriage, children and any prospect of love have always been a 𝘥𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘧...
630K 7.7K 31
The bad boy's life changes when he suddenly becomes the teacher's baby...