The Jon Solo Chronicles Book...

By RaideroftheLostVader

The first book of a slightly AU version of the Original Star Wars Trilogy, and eventually, The Force Awakens... More

Cast List
Prologue
Chapter 1: Ten Years Later
Chapter 2: Escape from Tattooine
Chapter 3: The Death Star
Chapter 4: Waiting
Chapter 5: Jon Meets Leia
Chapter 6: TIE Fighter Attack
Chapter 7: Yavin IV
Chapter 8: The Battle of Yavin
Epilogue

Chapter 9: A Hero's Welcome

723 20 7
By RaideroftheLostVader

Even though fewer ships had returned than those that had left for the battle, Yavin IV's hangar still felt as busy as ever. Everyone crowded around Luke's X-wing. When Luke disembarked, the whole hangar erupted into cheers for the hero of the hour. Luke quickly climbed out of his X-wing.

"Luke!" Jon and Leia shouted at the same time. They ran up to him.

"Hey!" Luke cried happily. He took Leia in his arms, and spun her around, both of them laughing. When that was over, Luke bent down to let Jon hug him.

"Congratulations, Luke!" said Jon. "You did it!"

"Thanks, Jon," said Luke.

"Hey! Hey!" Luke and Jon turned to see Han and Chewie jump off a cart, and come bounding towards the group.

"I knew you'd come back!" Luke said has he hugged Han. "I just knew it!"

"Well, I wasn't gonna let you get all the credit and take all the reward," Han said as he playfully slapped Luke's face.

"Hey, I knew there was more to you than money," said Leia. She hugged Han around the waist.

"There's another reason I came back," said Han. He broke free from Leia's embrace. "I had a promise to keep. A promise to my son. Hey, Jon."

"Hey, Dad," said Jon.

"Listen," said Han. "I'm sorry if you're mad at me for leaving you like I did. I tried to tell myself that I had no other choice. But at the same time, I felt as if I'd made a huge mistake."

"Dad, it's ok," said Jon. "I'm not mad. You're my dad. I could never be mad at you. And you came back, just like you said you would. But I was scared that I'd never see you again."

"To tell you the truth, son, I was afraid of that, too," said Han.

*Hey, what about me?* asked Chewie.

"Yes, Uncle Chewie," said Jon. "How could I forget about you?" He hugged Chewie. And then, as if suddenly remembering he hadn't done it before, Jon hugged Han. "I love you, Dad," he said, his voice barely more than a whisper.

"I love you, too," said Han. Father and son would have been content to keep hugging for as long as possible, but Luke's next words brought them both back to reality.

"Oh, no," Luke groaned. Jon looked up to see R2-D2 being lowered down from Luke's X-wing. He as barely recognizable as the happy, cheerful astro droid Jon had first met back on Tattooine. His entire body was covered in scorch and burn  marks. This was all a result of his being hit during the battle. And to make matters worse, R2 looked completely unresponsive, which made Jon nervous.

"Oh, my! R2!" 3-PO exclaimed worriedly. "Can you hear me? Say something! You can repair him. can't you?" This question was directed at the two techs who had lowered R2 down from the X-wing.

"We'll get to work on him right away," one of the techs replied.

"You must repair him," said 3-PO. "Sir, if any of my circuits or gears will help, I'll gladly donate them."

"He'll be alright," Luke gently told 3-PO.

"I hope so," said Jon. "You hear me, little buddy? Please get better soon. Ok?" He watched as the techs took R2 off to maintenance.

"Come on, Jon," said Han.

"Coming, Dad," said Jon. He ran to catch up with the others. Leia walked in the middle. Han and Luke flanked her on either side, their hands on their shoulders. Leia, it turn, had each of her hands hooked around Han's and Luke's waists. Chewie walked behind them, while Jon squeezed himself under his father's left arm. They went out of the hangar and into the great temple. Night had fallen over Yavin IV. Looking up into the sky, Jon saw the planet of Yavin glowing bright red off in the distance.

"Wow!" he said breathlessly. As Jon, Han, Luke, Leia and Chewie entered the temple, they saw that most of the  Rebellion had arrived before them. Everything was being set up for the victory celebration. Jon had never really been to a party before. He was happy that his first party was for Rebellion's victory against the Empire.

"Luke! Jon!" They both turned to see Wedge Antilles striding up to them.

"Hey, Wedge," said Jon. "I'm happy to see you made it back in one piece."

"Thanks," Wedge replied.

"You two know each other?" asked Luke.

"Yeah," said Jon. "We met before the battle. Wedge is from Corellia, just like my dad. Speaking of which, come on, Wedge. I'll introduce you to him. Dad!" Han turned to see Jon, Wedge and Luke walking up to him. "Dad, this is Wedge Antilles. Remember me telling you about him?"

"You must be Han Solo," said Wedge.

"That's right," said Han. "Yeah."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, sir," said Wedge, holding out a hand for Wedge to shake.

"Same here, Wedge," said Han. He shook Wedge's hand.

"You know, you've got a really great son," said Wedge. He ruffled Jon's hair.

"Thanks, Wedge," said Han.

"Well, I guess I'll see you guys around," said Wedge as he began walking away.

*Hey, are you two coming or what?* asked Chewie.

"Yeah, Chewie, we're coming," said Jon. He and Han rejoined their friends. The party got underway. Several table of food and drinks were laid out throughout the temple. It was more food than Jon was usually used to seeing. He felt his mouth start to water at the sight of it.

"You can have a little food, Jon," said Han. "I'm sure you're probably pretty hungry. Just don't eat too much. I don't want you getting sick, ok?"

"Ok, Dad," said Jon. He ate as much food as he could. It was all very delicious. The general mood in the temple was a happy one. All around Jon, people were celebrating. But one person was largely silent.

"Hey, Luke, why aren't you celebrating?" asked Jon. He found his friend sitting alone at a table. "I mean, it's pretty much all because of you that we're even having this party in the first place. You're a hero, Luke! Aren't you happy about that?"

"Yes, Jon," said Luke. "I'm very happy with how I destroyed the Death Star. But even so, I have to do some mourning for those who were lost in the battle. Especially Biggs."

"Red Three, right?" asked Jon.

"Yes," said Luke. "You know, I actually ran into Biggs before the battle. He and I were the best of friends growing up om Tattooine." Jon raised an eyebrow at this. During the battle, he had got a sense of some kind of familiarity between Luke and Biggs. But he just never thought that they had been childhood friends. Jon didn't know what it was like to grow up with a best friend. Sure, Chewie had been there for Jon since he was really little. But the boy had always seen the Wookiee as more of an uncle, or even a second father, than a best friend.

"I remember telling Biggs that, after the battle, I would tell him stories of all I'd been through," said Luke. "And now, I'll never get to do that."

"I'm sorry, Luke," said Jon. "I really am. He put a comforting hand on his friend's shoulder. "And speaking of Tattooine, during the briefing, you told Wedge that when you lived there, you used to bull's-eye womp rats in your T-16. I've been wondering, what is a womp rat, anyway?"

"They're large, omnivorous rodents native to Tattooine," Luke explained.

"And are they really two meters long?" asked Jon.

"They are," Luke replied. "They were also mean and ugly. Womp rats made for good target practice, but other than that, I don't miss them. In fact, they're one of the reasons I'm glad I left Tattooine."

"You never want to go back to Tattoooine," said Jon. "I never want to go back to Tattooine. So, I don't we have to worry about womp rats. Now, come on, Luke. Let's get back to the party. Everyone's waiting for you." When they rejoined the others, Luke, surprisingly, went right up to Han.

"You said it yourself that Jon was the reason you came back," Luke told him. "And I believe that. It's obvious your son means the world to you. But in the process of coming back for Jon, you saved my life. If you hadn't showed up when you did, I don't think I would have been able to make that shot. Or I might have ended up dead. So, I just wanted to thank you, Han."

"No problem, kid," said Han.

"I just thought of something," said Jon. "Dad, did you notice something weird about one of those TIE fighters?"

"You talking about that one with the curved wings?" asked Han.

"Yeah," said Jon. "Dad, that ship was Darth Vader's!"

"Oh, really?" asked Han. He cocked an eyebrow. "And how do you know that, Jon?"

"The map in the command center said it was Vader's," said Jon.

"Son, are you saying that I killed Darth Vader?" asked Han.

"Not necessarily, Captain Solo," said General Dodonna. "We lost track of Vader after you arrived, but it's possible that he survived and was found by fellow Imperials. So, he could still be alive."

"Do you think Vader will come back for revenge?" asked Jon.

"Well, if he does, I swear I won't let him hurt you," said Han.

"How did things go with Jabba?" asked Jon. "Because you left and came back pretty quickly."

"Actually, Chewie and me didn't even make it halfway to Tattooine," said Han.

"But what about Jabba?" asked Jon. "He seemed pretty mad when we ran into him on Tattooine."

"Oh, screw Jabba! You're more important, son. And always will be." said Han.

"If I'm the reason you came back, then why did you save Luke like you did?" asked Jon.

"Yeah," Luke added. He'd been grateful for Han's assistance, and had said he just knew that Han would come back. But he was curious as to why Han had decided to help him.

"Well, Luke, you and I have been through a lot together since meeting in that cantina," said Han. "It may have not always seemed that way, but I've become pretty fond of you, kid. I was about halfway back here when I spotted your X-wing. I thought about all the losses you've suffered. Your parents, your aunt and uncle, Ben. Something told me that I couldn't let you die, too. And you were right. There are bigger things to worry about in this Galaxy. I knew I had to set a good example for my son."

"Thanks, Han," said Luke. "That means a lot to me."

"No problem," Han replied. "Now, come on, kid. Are you ready for a real celebration?"

"Your father's always going to call me "kid," isn't he?" Luke asked Jon.

"Probably," Jon answered. "But it's just a term of endearment. It means he likes you. Besides, I just know that no matter how old I get, my dad will always call me "boy." Of course, he's my dad, and to him, I always be his little boy." Luke cast his eyes down  "Oh, Luke, I'm so sorry," said Jon. "I didn't mean it that way. Look, if it makes you feel better, I bet that your dad must be looking down on you. And I also think he's very proud of you."

"You really think that?" asked Luke. "Because that's what I really hope."

"Yeah," said Jon. "Your mom, too. And you aunt and uncle, Biggs and especially Ben."

"Thank you, Jon," said Luke.

"Thing is, I wonder if my mom's proud of me," said Jon.

"I'm sure she is," said Luke. " And speaking of Ben, remember how I told you and Leia about how I swear I heard his voice in my head after he died?"

"Yes," said Jon.

"Well, there were several times throughout the battle where I thought I could hear his voice again," said Luke. "Like back on the Death Star, it was probably just my imagination. But it made me happy."

"What are some of the things you heard Ben say?" asked Jon.

"The main thing that sticks out to me the most was that Ben told me the Force would be with me, always," said Luke

After Jon's conversation with Luke, the two of them went back to the party. Jon saw that Han and Wedge were singing an old Corellian drinking song. Chewie went around hugging everyone. Several pilots, including Luke and Wedge, asked Leia for a dance. She obliged, and Jon thought she looked really beautiful as she danced. Suddenly, she came up to him.

"Would you like to dance, Jon?" asked Leia.

"I don't know how to dance," said Jon.

"That's alright," said Leia. "Neither did Luke. But I taught him a little bit. And I can teach you, too."

"Ok," said Jon. Leia took both of Jon's hands in her own. She stepped across the floor. Jon copied her movements. He started to think that maybe dancing wasn't so hard after all.

"That's it, Jon," said Leia. "Very good. You're doing fine." Jon smiled at her praise.

Han watched as his son danced with the princess. He smiled, too. This was really sweet moment.

"This is the very first time I've ever danced in my whole life," said Jon as he and Leia finished up their dance. "But it was pretty fun. Thanks, Leia."

"Can I get in on the next dance, Your Worship?" Han asked as he walked up to them.

"Sure, Hotshot," said Leia.

"Hotshot?" Han repeated. "What happened to Fly-Boy?"

"Just shut up and dance with me, will you?" said Leia. She and Han began to dance. Jon had never seen his father dance before. But, surprisingly, he seemed pretty good at it.  And Han and Leia weren't arguing like they had been. That made Jon happy. He thought that maybe his father was starting to like Leia as much as Jon himself did.

"Thank you for the dance, Captain Solo," Leia said as she and Han finished their dance.

"No problem, Princess," said Han. "But who did you enjoy dancing with the most? Me, Luke, Wedge or Jon?" He was grinning like a mischievous schoolboy.

"I don't play favorites, Solo," said Leia. Just then, Jon began yawning.

"Are you tired, Jon?" asked Han.

"No," Jon quickly replied. But before he could stop himself, he yawned again.

"Oh, yes you are," said Han. "Chewie, take Jon back to the Falcon and get him ready for bed."

"But what about you?" asked Jon.

"I'll be up as soon as I can," said Han.

"Where is the Falcon anyway, Dad?" asked Jon.

"Back on the landing platform near...the Eastern temple," said Han. His voice faltered as he came to that realization.

"You idiot!" Leia scolded.

"What?" Han asked defensively. "It's the only landing platform on this moon that I'm familiar with."

"You're not serious about sending a ten-year-old boy and a Wookiee  through the jungle in the middle of the night, are you?" asked Leia.

"Jon's used to sleeping on the Falcon," Han countered. "Besides, Chewie can protect him on their journey back to the ship."

"Both of those things are true," Jon said in agreement.

"Well, Jon, you, your father, Luke and Chewie can all sleep here on the base tonight," said Leia.

"But his pajamas are back on the Falcon," Han protested.

"It's ok, Dad," said Jon. "I can sleep in these clothes."

"Alright,"said Han. "But I still want Chewie to go with you."

"Come on, Chewie," said Jon. He took hold of one of Chewie huge paws  A Rebel officer led the boy and the Wookiee to the sleeping quarters. The room they entered was slightly smaller than Jon's cabin on the Falcon. He must have been more tired than he thought, because he immediately climbed into the bed.

*Let me tuck you in, Jon,* said Chewie. He covered Jon with the blanket that had been folded up at the foot of the bed. *Sleep well, Jon.*

"Thanks, Chewie," said Jon. He reached up to hug the Wookiee. "Goodnight," Jon called after Chewie as he began to exit the room.

*Goodnight, Jon,* Chewie replied.Chewie then left the room. Jon may have felt very tired, but he found that he was unable to fall asleep. The bed was different that what he was used to. It could have been his imagination, but he suddenly felt as if the room was a lot darker than his cabin back on the Falcon. Perhaps Jon wasn't as prepared to sleep in an unfamiliar setting as he thought he'd be. Suddenly, Jon remembered the lullaby Leia had taught him. Maybe singing it would help him fall asleep.

Mirrorbright, shines the moon, its' glow as soft as an ember

When the moonbright, take this time to remember

Those you have loved but are gone

Those who kept you so safe and warm

The mirrorbright moon lets you see

Those who have ceased to be

Mirrorbright shines the moon, as fires die to their embers

Those you loved are with you still-

The moon will help you remember

"Jon, what are you singing?" Jon flinched at the sound of the voice. Seconds later, the lights in the room turned on to reveal Han standing in the doorway. "Don't worry, son. It's just me." Han sat down next to Jon on the bed.

"Oh, hey, Dad," said Jon. "I miss sleeping on the Falcon."

"If that's the case, I guess I can finally get the Falcon towed in the hangar," said Han. "And then you can sleep there tomorrow night."

"Tomorrow night?" Jon repeated. "Aren't we leaving in the morning?"

"Yeah, that's what I'd like to do," said Han. "But General Dodonna just announced that me and Luke are going to be awarded with medals from our bravery next week."

"Cool!" Jon said, with a smile.

"Yeah," said Han.

"You asked me about that song I was singing earlier," said Jon. "It's a lullaby from Alderaan called "Mirrorbright Shines the Moon." Leia taught it to me during the battle."

"That's nice," said Han.

"And I taught her "Into the West,"" said Jon. "Can you sing it to me right now, Dad?"

"It's been a while since I've sang it to you, Jon," said Han. "And I would have thought you were getting a bit old for that anyway."

"I know, Dad," said Jon. "Bu do it just for tonight. Please? It would mean a lot to me. Because I would really know that you actually came back to me. Ok?"

"Ok," said Han.

Lay down your sweet an weary head, Han sang.

Night is falling, you've come to journey's end

Sleep now and dream of the one's who came before

They are calling from across a distant shore

Why do you weep?

What are these tears upon your face?

Soon you will see, all of your tears will pass away

Safe in my arms, you're only sleeping

When Han hit the chorus, Jon joined in.

What can you see on the horizon?

Why do the white gulls call?

Across the sea, a pale moon rises

The ships have come to carry you home

And all will turn to silver glass

A light on the water

Grey ships pass

Into the west.

When the song got to the end, Jon yawned again.

"Where you really scared that you'd never see me again, Dad?" he asked. "Because I know I was really scared that I'd never see you again."

"Yes, I was scared," said Han. "I thought I might loose you."

"You know what, Dad?" asked Jon.

"What?" Han asked in reply. Jon leaned up right into his father's ear.

"I think Vader was even scareder," Jon whispered. Han had to laugh at this.

"Cause nobody messes with you dad," he said. "Come here, you!" He pulled Jon into a tight hug and started messing up his hair.

"Ugh, no!" Jon protested playfully. "Dad! No!"

"Ok, ok," said Han. "You think you're ready to get some sleep now?"

"Yeah, I am," said Jon. He lay down on the pillow. "Goodnight, Dad." Han carefully covered Jon with the blanket.

"Goodnight, Jon," said Han. "I love you."

"I love you, too, Dad," said Jon.

Han left the room. Jon quickly fell asleep. He started to dream. His dreams were filled with daring, exciting and courageous exploits. He pictured himself being all grown up and fighting alongside his father, Chewie and Luke. Jon could feel himself smiling in his sleep as these images passed through his mind. He was determined to actually grow up to be a great hero.

End of Chapter 9

Author's  Notes:

1.) There a double meaning behind this chapter's title. On one hand, it's a reference to what the scene where Luke and Han return to the base was actually called on the 2004 DVD release of A New Hope. But on the other hand, it is also a reference to lyrics from the song "Go the Distance," from Hercules. (More specifically from the pop version which was performed during the movie's end credits by Michael Bolton.) That song, both the movie and pop versions, has been a great inspiration for me as I write this fic.  I think it perfectly sums up both Jon's and Han's journeys throughout this fic. They are both each other's heroes. And they will both always go the distance for one another.

2.) I know some of you may be wondering why I made this chapter about the victory party instead of going straight from the hangar to the throne room. The movie would have you believe that the Battle of Yavin and the medal ceremony happened all on the same day, if not a day apart. I, however, think the medal ceremony took place about a week after the Battle of Yavin. And it's obvious that there had to have been some sort of victory party, even though it's never shown or even mentioned in the movie. Not to worry, though. I haven't forgotten about the medal ceremony. That will serve as the epilogue. (This current chapter was the last main chapter.)

3.) The information about Womp rats came from Wookieepedia

Here are some pictures of them:

(All these pictures also came from Wookieepedia.)

4.) I put another reference to The Lion King in this chapter. The scene where Han tells Jon that he thought he might loose him, when Jon says that Vader was even scareder, and Han responds by saying " Cause no one messes with your dad," was inspired by the scene in The Lion King where Mufasa starts off by scolding Simba for going into the Elephant Graveyard, but turns into one of the cutest things ever.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.6K 313 27
The third book of Jon Solo's adventures. Now fourteen-years-old, Jon is still haunted by loosing his father, Han, on Bespin. He returns to Tattooine...
86.4K 2.3K 37
Following the events after The Last Jedi. "Just a dream, it was just a dream," she says aloud attempting to calm herself, but the feeling doesn't dis...
151 6 7
Disclaimer: THE FOLLOWING IS A NON-PROFIT, FANBASED STORY! STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS, AND STAR WARS: THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY DO NOT BELONG TO ME! PLEASE...
536K 14.4K 25
*CURRENTLY BEING REWRITTEN W/ EXTENDED CHAPTERS, GRAMMAR AND SPELLING CORRECTIONS, AND PLOT HOLE FILLERS (ONLY CH 1-15 COMPLETED)* The war against th...