Strain of Love

By HTEllis

A shy primary school teacher, who falls in love with her student's father, learns the secrets he keeps will c... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty-six
Chapter Twenty-seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-one
Chapter Thirty-two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-four
Chapter Thirty-five
Chapter Thirty-six
Chapter Thirty-seven
Epilogue
Bonus #1 A Protective Dad
Pssssst... Did somebody say Miles?
BONUS CONTENT!

Chapter Four

28.6K 1.2K 104
By HTEllis

I pushed the shopping trolley down the aisle holding the sauces, scouring the jars for something to make for dinner. Today was the last day before half-term, which meant, luckily for me, I went home a few hours earlier than usual. Those luxuries came few and far between these days, so I used my precious time in doing things that mattered to me, like shopping at Morrisons. I needed a reality check because the only exciting thing to come out of my trip here was the half-price doughnuts.

"Miss Rose is here!"

I stopped turning the jar of pasta sauce in my hand to see Mabel standing at my feet, followed by her Grandma Gene, who looked as happy to be in this place as me. Mabel wrapped her arms around my legs and looked up at me with a chocolaty smile. I beamed down at her, stroking back the hair that was falling out of her braid, itching to grab a baby wipe to scrub her mouth clean.

"Fancy seeing you here," I said.

She let go to look up at her Grandma. "We are choosing cereal, aren't we, Gran?"

Gene gave me a cute hello by waving her two fingers, peering down at her granddaughter. "We are, honey pie. Show Miss Rose, which one you chose."

Mabel dashed towards the trolley, bouncing on her feet to hang over the side to pick up a cereal box. The wheels rolled forward as soon as she threw herself off of it to shove the box in my face. "It's called learn your letters. See?"

I took the box and inspected it closer. "I see. That's amazing."

Mabel kept pointing at the picture on the front that showed a large bowl with letter cereal and coloured books. "There are mini marshmallow books that turn the milk a different colour."

Looking down at a box of plain old bran flakes in my trolley, it made me wonder what it was like to be a kid again. "Looks yummy."

"Yes, I bet it is. Gran is taking me to ballet lessons after here. I can't wait."

Gene sent me a sweet smile, which I reciprocated. "Well, I hope you have fun."

Mabel's chubby cheeks flushed pink when her stare became curious. She sunk back on her heels. "Are you excited for the half-term? I am."

We moved our trollies as a woman tried to squeeze past, just as Mabel gave the cereal to Gene to put back. My feet hummed from the day at school. I swore by my trust flat shoes, but when I woke up and saw my kitten heels sitting in my wardrobe, I thought it might be nice to wear something different. I now regretted that decision.

"I'm very excited, yes. You'll never guess where I'm going after here?" I said, causing her big blue eyes to grow twice as big.

"Where are you going?" she replied.

I leaned onto the handle of the trolley to take the weight off my feet. It probably wouldn't be the best workout considering my soles were in bits. "I'm going to Zumba."

"Zumba." Mabel looked at Gene. "Aunty Donna goes there."

Gene nodded as she swept her hand over her granddaughter's head. True love shining back in her eyes. "Yes, she does. You wanted to go, didn't you, honey pie?"

Mabel got out of breath. "I did, but the teacher said I was too little."

"Oh, no, well, that's a shame. Maybe when you're a little older, you can join us grown-ups." I glanced over at Gene. "There's a kid's dance fit class on a Saturday night at the village hall. I think you'll be able to get in tomorrow if you book now."

Gene sighed. "We won't be able to do that. Saturdays are Casey, my son's, busiest night at the restaurant he owns. All our family chip in and work. We've no way of taking her there. Unless... no... I couldn't ask ... actually, yes. Unless you could take her?"

The words fell out of my mouth before I connected with my brain. "I could take her. I mean, if you and Henry would feel comfortable with me doing it."

Gene almost fell over with glee. "You would? Oh, Miss Rose, you do not understand how much that would mean to our Mabel."

I smiled back with as much enthusiasm. I mean, her happiness was infectious. It was as if I was giving her the world in my offer. "Please call me Verity. And, honestly, it would be my pleasure."

"After the dance class, you must come and have your dinner at the restaurant. Mabel tells me of how much you enjoyed it the other week," she said, placing her hand over mine on her shoulder for a beat until we pulled away.

The thought of another salad covered in chicken, fried bread, and mustard sauce warmed my belly. "Sounds like a plan to me."

...

I wrapped Mabel's pink scarf around her neck when we came out of the village hall and stepped into the ice-cold air. A few girls she'd made friends with waved as their chatting parents tugged them away and towards their waiting vehicles. The forty-five-minute class flew by, and it was such a pleasure to watch Mabel so carefree. The smile on her face didn't once falter.

"Bye," Mabel said, giggling to herself when the other girls shouted the same thing over to us. She shouted once more, "Bye, guys!"

I opened my car door for her to climb inside, making sure she was secure in the backseat before giving her the banana and fruit smoothie drink I bought for after her class. "You had fun then?"

"Yes," she said, smiling as she peeled the banana. I wasn't sure the plaits in her hair would last until the end of the day, tiny bits of hair falling out of the edges. Signs of a good day, I thought. "The dancing was fun."

I smiled down at her. "I'm glad. I nearly wanted to join you all up there with all the Disney songs they played."

The banana half-eaten, she covered her mouth before speaking: "You should have danced with me."

I closed the car door, seeing her take another huge bite through the backseat window as I got into the driver's side and strapped myself into the car seat. "I would only have embarrassed you. I bet you're hungry now."

"Yes," I caught sight of her nodding up and down in the rearview mirror. "Daddy said that Uncle Casey is doing me a pudding pizza."

I started up the car to get us on our way. Pudding pizza sounded magical. Both of my favourite things combined. "A pudding pizza?"

Mabel hummed from the back seat. "It's pizza, but with Nutella, marshmallows and strawberries. I'll share some with you."

I nodded fiercely at the mirror which made her burst into bubbling giggles. The sound so sweet it got me in the chest. "It sounds super scrummy."

"It's the scrummiest thing in the entire world," she said, lifting her hand up for effect.

I came to a stop at the junction, turning to check on her. The smoothie was in her hand now, the back of her hand moving up to wipe it away from her mouth. "Then I simply can't wait to try it," I responded.

As I expected, the restaurant was buzzing with life when Mabel and I stepped through the doors. No free tables in sight, Gene and Donna bounced from table to table, serving the hungry customers. I wasn't the only fan of Casey's cooking.

Mabel sprinted over to the man I saw last time I was here, but didn't get the chance to meet. The stony gaze he directed at me chilled my blood. The sheer size of him was scary enough, but the uncertainty in his eyes warned me to back off. It was obvious he didn't take too kindly to me being around his family, which I found odd. I hadn't even met him yet.

"Uncle Beckett, I learnt a new dance," Mabel said, wrapping her arms around his neck when he bent down to pull her into his arms. "Can I show you?"

The man's face broke out into the most charming smile I had ever seen. The unease forgotten in an instant at her excitable words. "Of course, you can, Mabe's. Go on then, girl. Let's have a show."

Mabel glowed under her uncle's attention, taking place at the cash desk and the four seated table where the guests were watching happily. You couldn't help but feel a sense of love for her. Mabel was truly the sweetest child. I saw Casey hanging over the open kitchen panel, grinning in Mabel's direction. Donna stopping her work, followed by Gene.

"I'm going to sing too, so feel free to sing with me," she said, putting her coat, scarf and hat on the floor away from her stage. So confident beyond her years.

The restaurant rumbled with soft laughter as she seemed to have captured the attention of everyone in here. I giggled along with them, resting my left foot to the side to find a comfortable spot. A few people had their phones aimed over here. I wondered if this was a regular occurrence. It seemed to be for the family, but the other guests were taking it in their stride either way.

Mabel stepped to the left with her arm moving out to the side as she started to sing the Disney classic from Frozen. She brought her arm back, stepping her feet together. The lights dimmed, and a light came onto her as she lifted both arms up to the ceiling. Oh, this was a regular occurrence all right. Stage lighting?

Two songs later she owned the room, getting the dinner guests to sing along with her to hits from Lion King and The Jungle Book. Impressed wasn't the right word. Mind-blown would be more accurate. Six-years-old and entertaining like a twenty-year-old. I was in half a mind to send the footage to Simon Cowell.

When she finished entertaining the restaurant, she took a bow, then let out a loud squeal as she leapt into Beckett's arms. "What did you think?"

He kissed her cheek as he spun her in a circle, eyes floating over to me for a moment, until she regained his attention. "You were magnificent," he said, pulling a face while saying the word. "Are you hungry?"

Mabel buried her face into his neck. "Yeah, I'm hungry."

"We can't have that now, can we?" He took off towards the kitchen panel, resting her bottom on the edge of the open-plan kitchen side, holding her body still. "What do we have on the menu for this Disney star, Uncle Case?"

Mabel turned around expectantly in her other uncle's direction.

Casey popped his head out, hair covered with a hat and his face glowing with kitchen heat. "We have pasta with tomato sauce and meatballs," he said, tapping her nose when she beamed his way. "And pizza pudding for afters."

Mabel turned her head to search for me. "Miss Rose, pizza pudding like I told you."

Both men turned my way. It felt a bit suffocating. I watched Beckett's eyes to find sadness in them until they turned emotionless on my face. Casey, on the other hand, waved me over, not as hostile as his brother.

I hesitated for a second, but when Mabel shouted for me, I couldn't resist going over. She lifted her arms for me to get her down, so I did, minding her head on the metal vents. Beckett checked my every move, but I tried to ignore him.

Mabel twirled on the spot. "Daddy will be here soon. Will you tell him about my dancing?"

I laughed. "You bet I will. Is there somewhere we can wash our hands before dinner?"

She grew all important by grabbing my hand and rushing us towards the restrooms. I followed, smiling at every person who told her how brilliant she was up on stage. The toilet light was dim, jumping off the dark red tiles and white walls. The sink creaking when Mabel turned on the hot tap, pumping a big blob of liquid soap into her hands. I pumped a little less on mine and scrubbed my hands together, joining Mabel in a song.

When we resurfaced from the toilets, I spotted Henry near the cash register, and my heart skipped a beat. I couldn't help it. My interest kept growing. Beckett seemed agitated, getting close to his face. Donna stepping in when things appeared to grow heated. I didn't want to intrude on their family drama, so I followed Mabel when she skipped to the free booth near the kitchen doors.

"Can I serve you dinner, ladies?" Casey said, appearing with plates resting on separate parts of his arms.

"Ooh, this looks good," Mabel replied, tucking her napkin into the top of her long-sleeved shirt.

Casey bent down to sneak a wet kiss on Mabel's cheek, which she dramatically pushed off. "Stop it and give Miss Rose her food," she said.

I put my hand over my mouth at the sound of her bossiness. Casey only smiled harder. "I'm so sorry, Miss Rose. Please forgive my rudeness."

I picked up my knife and fork from the pot in the middle of the table, waiting for my plate. "That's quite all right, Uncle Casey."

Mabel glimpsed over, slurping up a long piece of spaghetti all the way into her mouth. "Please, can I have more meatballs?"

Casey peeped at her plate with a frown. "Have you eaten those already?"

She nodded mid-chew, answering once she swallowed it down. "Yep. They were delicious."

"Goodness, kid. Come up for air, won't you?"

Mabel gave him a blank stare. "What do you mean?"

Casey threw the tea towel in his hand over his shoulder and spun around. "Won't be a minute."

Mabel carried on eating like she'd not seen food in her entire life. I, however, ate my salad slowly to savour the different tastes.

"How's your food?" Gene showed up at the side of our table.

Mabel threw her cutlery down on her plate so she could grab her glass of water, chugging it down, so I answered," It's beautiful. Mabel is after seconds."

Gene touched my shoulder before moving around the table to take the extra napkin in her hand to clean Mabel's face. Casey popped up behind her with a black frying pan and dumped more meatballs on Mabel's plate, along with the tomato sauce. The crouton crunched loudly in my mouth when they all laughed at Mabel's fork digging in.

A heat hit my body out of nowhere, causing me to turn to see Henry sliding into the seat next to me. I blushed, worried I had food in my teeth. Gene gave her son the nod, starting to follow Casey through to the kitchen. Beckett close on their tail as he kept his eyes on me.

My appetite dropped instantly, and I found myself wanting to push the plate away, nerves too strong to face eating now the force of the man sitting next to me let off. But the effort Casey put into the dish was keeping me going. Bite by bite.

"Hey, daddy," Mabel said, cutting a meatball in half on her plate.

Henry put both arms on the table to look at her. "Hey, there. Did you enjoy your dance class?"

She peered at me with her tiny eyebrow saying, 'GO ON THEN!'. "Mabel has been quite the performer tonight."

At my voice, he shifted around in his seat, facing me. "Is that so?"

I nodded. "Yes, she had the whole place roaring."

You could tell that Henry worked hard at stopping the raw emotions from sinking into his eyes. It didn't work, though. Poor guy. I bet it was hard hearing things like that when his partner wasn't around to see it.

"She always does," he said, hazel eyes intent on my face when he cleared his throat. "I know her mother would be proud." - he shook his head - "Is so proud of her from wherever she's watching."

I moved my hand over to settle on his wrist, impressed by the size and strength of it as I squeezed with gentle meaning. It would be nice for him to know I was here to lend an ear to listen and a shoulder to lean on should he need it. "I know you're right. Their spirits never leave unless you let them."
...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

193K 27.7K 54
A mistaken identity, a desperate bargain between two single parents, and a chance to find love again. ...
2.5M 24.7K 39
Michelle doesn't want to think about her parents divorce. No more, then she already has. Michelle swears she will never let herself forget what her...
1.4K 414 43
'Our greatest challenge isn't speaking up against our enemies, but defying those whose approval we seek the most'. Storm Jackson is a thirteen-year-o...
14.8K 1.2K 67
Envy, trust, fabrication, deception, betrayal ... can love thrive with depraved intentions skulking at every corner? Can a relationship survive the t...