There Will Be Freedom (not mi...

By turntojelena

*YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW ME IF U WANT TO READ SOME OF THE CHAPTERS!* Two years have passed. Maddie and Justin are... More

There Will Be Freedom
1. Prologue
2. Mirage
3. Rio
4. Normandy
5. Paper Promises
6. Hills of Montecello
7. Return
8. Ides of March
9. Francis the Bulldog
10. The Animal Kingdom
11. White
12. Philosophy of War
13. Valentino the Python
14. Choke
15. Easter Sunday
16. The Weapons Manufacturer
17. Late Night Shopping
18. Holding the Apples Hostage
19. Spanish Heat
20. The Heist
21. Suspicion
22. Execution
23. The Time that Passes
24. Caged
25. Big Bang
26. The Lake House
27. Genesis
28. Health
29. Real Estate
30. Social Law
31. Reunion
33. Holiday Decorations
34. Black Christmas
35. Angel of Death
36. Hands of Lucifer
37. Personal Assets
38. Confessions
39. Opening Day
40. End
5 years later...
5 years later...

32. Carnal

19.1K 234 141
By turntojelena

JUSTIN POV

felt eyes on me. I didn't like it, but kept mine shut while I felt out the situation.

Maddie had wiggled out of the covers about an hour ago to tend to the babies. I went in to help her, but Anna had beaten me to it, already feeding Roman his bottle. I then went back to sleep since I was on vacation and could do things like that.

Now, I could sense someone was watching me very closely.

I was on my stomach, my hands under the pillow, and grasped around a gun, waiting until I assessed what was going on. My hands relaxed slightly when I heard the juvenile cough of Bobby from next to the bed.

I opened one eye and found him standing there, his head tilted, just watching me.

"Can I help you?" I asked in an agitated voice. I needed to sleep.

"Maddie said you have to wake up. It's Thanksgiving today. Aren't you excited?"

"Sure." I turned my head away from him.

I heard his feet run over to the other side.

I exhaled, "I will wake up when I feel like it."

"But she said now." He climbed onto the bed.

Bobby was a little kid who jabbered on for hours, and for some reason, enjoyed talking to me. I couldn't shake him no matter what. His sister, Beth, was far easier to talk to since she could actually hold a conversation about something other than toy cars.

It still baffled me that Maddie had a ten year old step-sibling. He was my brother-in-law, for Christ's sake. How the hell was I supposed to relate to him? Still, there were some days, when I could tolerate his childlike behavior that I found him okay to be around. Unfortunately, today was not that day.

"What's this?" Bobby ran his finger scratched the scar on my skin, above my shoulder blade.

"I fell out of a window when I was fifteen." I shut my eyes, trying to wish him away.

"You fell out of a window?" His voice raised two octaves. "Wow. And you lived?"

"Obviously."

"My friend's dad, he works at the newspaper, and he says you're a bad man. Is that true?"

"Believe what you want."

"But I want to know if it's true. I talk about you all the time in class."

I opened my eyes. "You do? What do you say?"

"I tell them that you're really cool, and your house is super big, and you have a fat dog named Francis, and you're my big brother. All my friends think you're famous."

I breathed a sigh of relief. For some reason, I got anxious that this little kid might be spilling things he shouldn't, but he was innocent of any wrongdoing. I would have to watch what I said around him, though.

"Do you have a gun?" He bounced on the bed.

"I have lots of guns," I answered, my head banging against the pillows as he jumped.

"Which ones?"

I pulled out the Eagle from under my pillow and held it up. He stopped his jumping and plopped down next to me.

"Wow. That's big. Can I hold it?"

"No."

"Freddie's teaching me how to use his. He says I'm really good."

"Then come find me in five years." I shoved the gun back underneath my pillow. "Why are you here again?"

"Maddie told me to tell you to wake up. Aren't you excited for Thanksgiving?"

"No."

"He's lying." Maddie's voice came into the room. "He waits for this all year."

I chuckled into my arm. She knew me too well.

"He goes on diets and works out like crazy, but when it comes to Thanksgiving, he eats like a pig," Maddie joked.

"Ew." Bobby laughed. "You're going to get fat."

"He'll be fine," she said. "I think your mom wants you."

"Okay, Maddie." He flung himself off of the bed. "Bye, Justin!"

I groaned.

"That will be Roman in ten years." Maddie's hand started to knead the flesh of my back.

"I know. I'm trying to think happy thoughts. Although, I'm usually not so crabby with Bobby. But he did wake me up, so I deserve some credit."

"It's ten-thirty. You almost never sleep this late."

"Taking care of babies is hard work."

Even though I didn't turn to see her, I could feel Maddie's playful glare on me. She hit my permanently sore shoulder, and I hissed in pain.

"Ouch, Maddie."

"You barely get up as it is."

"I did this morning," I challenged, throwing my arm up and wrapping it around her. I pulled her down to the bed.

"Justin, stop. I have to get up and cook."

"No, you're staying here with me." I pressed all my weight on top of her.

"Anna's going to kill me if I let the turkey burn. That's my only job."

"I can keep you occupied while it cooks." I lifted up her shirt and engulfed her lips in mine before she had a chance to protest.

She melted into me, completely and fully, as my hands took their time to explore her skin. Her bra went next, joining her shirt on the floor.

Maddie's pregnancy boobs were incredible. They were supple and felt amazing in my hands; not too big, but certainly larger than before.

"Am I being too rough?" I asked, my breathing somewhere in between a needy pant and suffocating gulp.

"No." She shook her head, wrapping her arms around my neck, pulling me closer.

I could tell that her body was getting back to where it used to be before the twins were born. Not fully, but she was working on it. Her stomach was tightening up, and the weight was disappearing day by day. She still felt self-conscious a lot of the time, though.

"Justin, I want to stop you, but I can't." She kissed my neck.

I grinned to myself. I would win this battle. Maddie couldn't deny the carnal lust that had always been between us. I suspected it always would be. She just had to let herself give into it.

"Take off my panties," she ordered.

"Yes, ma'am."

I laid her down and gently rolled down her shorts and underwear, throwing them aside. She tried to cross her legs, but I wasn't having it. I separated and settled between them. Her eyes rolled into the back of her head as she felt my familiar erection pulsing against her center. She was wet, extremely wet, and after two months of abstinence, we were both ready.

"Justin... we can't do this here." She gasped when I rubbed myself against her, still in my boxers.

I didn't say anything in reply. I didn't want to ruin the moment.

I kissed her hard, and at the same time, started to swivel out of my underwear. I got it off and kicked it aside, off of the bed. I pulled the sheet over us and trapped us in darkness.

"Is the door locked?" she giggled.

I shook my head, my lips set in a grin. "We're rebels."

All playfulness was replaced by pure lust as I pushed my tip into her then pulled out.

"Oh, God..." she breathed. "Again."

"Was that too much?"

She shook her head. "No, please don't stop."

I pushed deep this time and stayed put while she adjusted herself to my girth. I didn't know the particulars of sex after childbirth, especially after twins, but I'm sure it couldn't be that comfortable for her. Maddie didn't seem to mind so I went even deeper.

"You feeling okay?" I whispered.

"The best. Keep going." She smiled and kissed me again.

After a couple more thrusts, I could tell her discomfort was totally gone. She started to move her hips under me seductively and brought her hands up to tangle in my hair. Each time I moved within her, it felt better than the last, and I couldn't even think straight because every pore of my body was tingling withpleasure.

"Did you miss this as much as I did?" I asked, digging into her with vigor.

"More!"

"Shhh. We wouldn't want Freddie to come up here."

We were both panting, as our kiss grew more passionate. I brought my lips to her neck and began sucking. I felt dizzy and didn't know how long we continued to move together, but I never wanted it to stop.

I felt my body tighten one last time before my spine tingled with the best sensation of my life. It traveled down my stomach and into my legs. Every part of my body was on fire, and Maddie squeaked her release as she reacted to mine.

I knew she had come as well, and I was happy that I could last as long as I did. A final surge of desire shot through me, and I spilled out into her. My body collapsed on top of itself, and I twitched as the pleasure ripped through my every bone.

I rolled off of her. We were silent for a couple of minutes, enjoying the post-coital aura in the room.

"I want to go again." Maddie climbed back on top of me.

I chuckled, "I need a breather."

"That was incredible," she whispered, kissing my neck and face. "I forgot how much of a master you were in the bedroom."

"You're being too kind."

"Again," Maddie pleaded.

"What about the turkey?"

She shrugged, pulling the covers back over us.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Thanksgiving was a festive affair, filled with lots of food and family talk. Bobby insisted on sitting next to me, and I found out that he liked baseball. No, heloved baseball. We spent the entire dinner debating the post-season run of the Seattle Mariners.

The food was delicious, almost the best I had ever tasted. It was nice to be with a normal family that didn't get in fights or try to shoot each other. Freddie tolerated me with a smile. I didn't know if he was really trying to like me, or if he was just getting through the weekend, but I was thankful.

The babies were happily enjoying their time in the playpen, just staring up at the ceiling and giggling, although I don't know what had them in such a good mood. The only one who didn't seem to have an enjoyable time was Beth. She sulked and picked at her food. I tried talking to her, but she snapped and gave me attitude. That was it for that conversation, and I shut her out for the rest of dinner.

Maddie and I had dish duty and stood at the sink; she washed, I dried.

"I can't wait to get back home," she said, handing me a plate.

"Was this trip long enough for you and Freddie to get things settled? We leave tomorrow."

"I think so. He still hates you and swears I made a mistake, but he knows you're not going anywhere, so he's getting used to it."

"He's going to make my life hell."

"No, he's not. Like he said last night, you're the father of his grandchildren. He has to like you."

"Great."

"I wonder how everyone else's Thanksgiving is. I haven't called Olivia to find out."

"I'm sure they're fine."

Roman started to coo in the corner. I wiped off my hands and went to go pick him up.

"I think we should start only talking Italian with them," I suggested, bouncing him in my arms.

"How about we wait until they learn English first."

"But I want them to be bilingual."

"And that's fine, but one language at a time."

"Italian was my first language." I kissed his cheek. "Vuoi imparare l'italiano?"

"You're going to confuse him."

I pointed to Maddie. "Madre." And then myself. "Padre."

"Justin, stop it."

"He has to learn at some point."

Maddie laughed and took him from me. "They have to learn English first so they can talk to the other kids in pre-school. We can teach them Italian later."

"Hmmm. Maybe you have something to that theory. I never talked to anyone in school. Partly because I wasn't as good in English until later."

"See. Now you don't have any friends."

I pinched the bridge of my nose.

"You're going to have friends, little Roman. I promise you." Maddie brushed his dark hair away from his forehead. "Your daddy just never really likes anyone, so it was his destiny to end up alone."

"That's not true," I argued. "I had friends in college."

"I've never met any of them." She raised an eyebrow.

"So?"

"So they don't exist."

Before this little playful argument got out of control, Freddie walked into the kitchen, pounding his hand into a baseball glove. "Hey, Justin, you wanna go throw a ball around with Bobby and me?"

It was obvious that he was just doing this because Anna told him. He couldn't give three shits about throwing a baseball around. He stood around awkwardly, just eyeing me like I was some kind of toxic bug.

"Oh, I guess," I replied, more like a question.

Maddie nodded enthusiastically, placing Roman back down in the playpen. "He would love to."

"Okay, I'll be outside. There's a glove by the door." He left the kitchen.

"Be nice, and don't shoot him."

"I'm not going to shoot him."

Maddie didn't even warn me before she reached into my pants, and pulled out the gun I kept there. "Just for good measure."

"I need that." I reached for it, but she backed away.

"I can't risk it."

I stomped out of room and grabbed the glove off of the table near the door.

I had a sweater on, but I should have grabbed something warmer. It was drizzling outside. Freddie and Bobby didn't seem to mind at all. I guess in a place where it rains almost every day out of the year, no one really notices.

"Finally!" Bobby jumped up and down. "Now we can play."

"This isn't a full game." Freddie said, trying to calm him down.

"Yeah, but I bet Justin is the best baseball player in the world. He's so tall."

I hid my grin. Freddie grumbled under his breath.

We began to throw the ball around in a triangle, just lightly at first, not really caring.

"So, Justin, how's life in Chicago?" Freddie asked me.

"It's great," I replied, tossing the ball to Bobby. "Work's good."

"Really?"

"Yes."

This was going to turn into an interrogation. I knew it would. Even Bobby was staring me down, a complete turnaround from the kid who kissed where I walked not five minutes ago.

"And life outside off work?" he pushed.

"Do you have something you'd like to ask me?" I held the ball in my hands. "I don't like beating around the bush. If you have something to say, then say it."

"Why was my daughter blown up, and then when she gets here she has cuts all over her arms? What are you doing to her?" He crossed his arms. Bobby suddenly appeared by his side, in the same pose.

"First, she wasn't blown up. I was. The cuts on her arms were admittedly, my fault, but I was protecting her. I'm not getting into that."

"Oh, yes, you are. I need to know what's going on in Maddie's life. I read the internet, Justin. I might be old, but I'm not dead. I need specifics because these little news blurbs aren't cutting it."

"Well, I can't give you those."

"And why not?"

"Look, I know you're worried about Maddie, but you don't need to be. She's a grown woman, and she makes her own decisions. She decided to marry me. I get that you don't like that, but it's not going to change."

"I know that." He sighed. "I'm not trying to rag on you or get into your business, but I need to make sure Maddie's safe."

"I assured you when I married her that she would be." I was getting tired of this. Would the man ever let up?

Freddie sucked on his teeth. "Against my better judgment, I trust you. I know you want her safe, but there are certain things that are out of your control. The people you hang out with aren't the best in the world."

"I don't know what to tell you." I was through trying to explain myself.

"Do you love her?" Bobby asked, his small voice being heard above ours.

"Of course I do, but I'm not going to stand here and defend our relationship every time we come here. It's too tiring, and I don't need the added stress."

Bobby and Freddie both turned their backs on me and conversed in whispers. I think they had this planned since the beginning. They probably wanted to shake me down for answers, but by now, Freddie should have known better.

They turned around again, both cross in the face. Freddie spoke authoritatively, "I demand three visits a year, probably more as the twins get older. I want open communication with not only Maddie, but you as well. I'm not going to pry, but I need to be put at ease if I read something bad in the papers. I want to know that she and my grandchildren are safe. I also reserve the right to make snide comments whenever I see fit. Oh, and I need lots of pictures of Roman and Sophia... weekly."

"And we want a boat." Bobby nodded. Freddie shoved him.

"I like those terms, but I have a few of my own." I stepped towards them. "Your trips are planned well in advance. I don't want you showing up on my doorstep with luggage. And you can ask any questions you want, but I can refuse to answer them if I feel like you're digging too deep. I won't keep anything from you, but I have to reserve some things to keep you safe."

That actually was an issue. Just like with Maddie, I would answer their questions, but I had to have a limit on some things.

"Bobby, go inside." Freddie pushed him towards the stairs.

"What about the boat? You said I could ask for a boat."

"Go," he said sternly.

Bobby knew not to question it and ran into the house.

"Justin, I'm going to ask you some very straightforward questions, and I need the truth. Is that clear?"

"Yes, sir." I wiped my forehead to clear the drizzle away.

"Have you ever killed someone?"

"Yes, multiple people. I can give you a list if you'd like. I know all their names."

"That won't be necessary." He didn't seem fazed. "Has my daughter ever killed someone?"

"Indirectly. She shot an intruder in our house, and he bled out an hour later."

"Really?" He seemed surprised. "Impressive."

"She's very handy with a gun."

"She better be." He scratched his chin. "How much money are you actually worth?"

"Legally, about two billion dollars."

"And illegally, off the books?

"Upwards of ten." I didn't actually know how high I could go.

Freddie stumbled a little. "Oh, well, that's a lot of money."

"Yes, I know."

"And you use all the money for...?"

"I don't understand the question."

"Are you donating it back to the community? Do you use it for good? How much to you give to charities?"

"I don't believe in charities. I sympathize with those less fortunate than me, but it's not my job to help them out of things. Minus sick kids," I admitted. "They can't help it."

"Well, aren't you a softie," he replied sarcastically. "One last question. Are you making my daughter happy?"

I answered without thinking about it. "Extremely."

Freddie seemed to like what I had to say because he nodded.

"What kind of boat would you like?" I asked.

He cracked a smile. "Something fast."

_____________________________________________________________________________

"Finally! Back home." Maddie set Roman's carrier on the floor in the family room. Carmela was there to take her coat and bag.

"I'm so glad you guys are back." Jaxon smiled.

"What did you do, burn the kitchen up? Break something?" I changed Sophia quickly. It only took me a few seconds, and I was silently proud of that fact.

Jaxon grabbed her from me. "Nothing. I'm just really glad you're back. We had a great time."

"I don't like this." I shook my head. "Agata, what is he up to?"

"Nothing, sir. I promise." She actually seemed scared.

"Is it so hard to believe that I'm just happy you're back?" He bounced Sophia up and down. "I really did miss you guys. And my goddaughter, of course. She's going to be a heartbreaker. Look at those eyes."

"Just like her mother, no doubt." I took off my coat.

"I'm choosing to ignore that comment." Maddie left the room, heading upstairs.

"So, how was it?" Jaxon asked me.

"Not bad, actually. Freddie didn't kill me, and we got some bonding time in."

"Fantastic. And I'm assuming he enjoyed the babies."

"He really did. It was kind of incredible to watch." I leaned back, exhausted and in need of some food. "Did you have a good time?"

"Yeah, it was great. Bridget made this huge dinner and everything." He placed Sophia on his knee and started making funny faces at her.

I got about five seconds to rest before I sat up again. "I need to go see Finn."

"Okay. We'll be here."

I took the stairs three at a time to tell Maddie I was leaving. She was in our room, unpacking suitcases with Agata and Carmela. Amongst the clothes on the bed, was fat Francis who jumped down and ran towards me.

"You get bigger every time I see you." I picked him up, feeling his weight. He really wasn't that fat. I just liked to tease him. He licked at my face and wiggled in my arms.

"Agata said he's been sad since we left." Maddie came over, petting him behind the ears. "We'll have to take him with us from now on."

"I don't think so. He can sleep at home like every other dog in the world."

"I once read that dogs can die from broken hearts."

"Yeah, well so can humans." I set him back on the bed. Francis curled up into my pile of clothes and plopped down. "I have to go see Finn for a little bit."

"Oh, good. You can invite them for dinner. I was going to call, but since you're going over there..."

"But we just got back," I groaned.

"And we haven't seen them in a week. I need family time."

"More family time?"

"Yes. I can call if you want."

"No, I'll tell him."

"Oh, before you leave, we need to talk about something."

"And what would that be?"

"I want to have a Christmas party."

"A party?"

"Yes, with all our friends."

"We don't have any friends."

"Acquaintances, whatever."

"I don't like that idea. Parties are stressful to plan and execute properly, not to mention the fact that I don't want all those people in my house."

"I think it would be fun."

I wanted to put up a fight, but felt it best to just give her this one. I would save my energy for another more important fight.

"Okay, fine," I surrendered. "I'm not doing anything, though."

"You just have to show up. I swear."

"Is that all?"

"No, we also need to talk about the babies' christening."

"I was thinking about that as well. Maybe we should wait until the new year?"

"That's perfectly fine with me, but Father Constanza called and left a message, so I was bringing that to your attention."

"I'll call him back later."

I kissed her before exiting.

I went out into the garage and took the keys to a cherry red Mercedes, which I had gotten for Maddie's birthday. Well, I got two; matching his and hers.

The drive to Finn's was short and sweet, but I took it kind of slow since the roads were icy. Their house was in our old neighborhood, and since it was just he and Olivia, the place was relatively small. By that, I mean, it only had six rooms and only about four thousand square feet. Modest for the Biebers.

I parked in his driveway, and Olivia was there to greet me at the door.

"You're here." She smiled. "But you didn't call at all during Thanksgiving." She frowned.

"I called on the day." I hugged her tiny frame and went inside.

"Once in six days, Justin. We were worried."

"No, you weren't. Is my brother here?"

"He's upstairs working." She pointed above her. "Are you hungry, thirsty?"

"No, I'm good. Oh, but Maddie wants to invite everyone for dinner tonight."

"What? This wasn't planned. Great." She threw her hands up in the air. "Now I have to make a pot roast."

"I don't think that will be necessary. And why are you always so dramatic?"

"I'm famous for my pot roast. Everyone loves it, you know that. Any time we have a family gathering, it must be present. That's the rule. And I'm not dramatic. You haven't seen me dramatic yet."

"Maddie has everything covered, I assure you."

"No, she needs me." Olivia stalked off towards the kitchen. I heard pans clanging and felt it best to just leave her to it.

I walked slowly up the stairs, taking my time and looking around since it had been awhile since coming over to Finn's. It was a nice, far different from my and Maddie's tastes, but modern and comfy. Olivia's influence was all over the house in drastic coloring and funky looking furniture, although it suited my brother as well. Funny how those two worked.

Maddie and I were in sync with almost everything we did. Our likes and dislikes were eerily similar. Finn and Olivia were complete opposites, but it worked seamlessly.

I stopped in the hallway when I saw a large picture of the family taken at my wedding. My parents were on either side of Maddie and me, followed by Keegan, Bridget, Finn, Olivia, Jaxon, and Jane. We were all smiling, enjoying the night's festivities. It was a happy time, but clouded with drama. I looked at Jeremy and his grin. It was so telling, and even then, I should have known that his departure from the family was going to be anything less than smooth.

"Olivia has the picture in every room in the house," Finn said, leaning against the door jamb of his office.

"It's a nice one. Maddie has ours framed over the fireplace." I stuffed my hands in my pockets.

"What brings you to see me, little bro?" He stepped aside so I could enter.

"Our parents."

"Of course. It's always about them nowadays."

"They're back." I sat in a chair in front of his desk.

Finn went behind it and dug through the drawers. "A lot has happened since you've been gone."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I got a call about three days ago from a holding facility in Wisconsin. The CIA has Jeremy and Pattie in custody."

"For what?"

"They want to know what they've been up to these past couple of months. I'm assured it's harmless."

"When will they get out?"

"Sometime within the next seventy-two hours." He handed me some papers. "They can't make any calls and no visitors."

"They went to see Uncle Vinny before he died."

"That's how the Feds found them. I don't think Jeremy and Pattie are trying to hide, though. Sounds like they just want to get this interrogation shit over with sooner rather than later."

I was reading through the papers when I heard a low growl. I think it was a growl. I wasn't sure how to classify it.

"Stop that," Finn said under his desk.

"What the hell is that?"

"We got a cat." Finn lifted up an ugly, grey, monster. He was twice the size of Francis with steely blue eyes and long whiskers. He didn't look pleasant at all.

I wanted to run from the room. "God, Finn. That thing is ugly."

"He is not."

"Get rid of it."

"No, Cat is a member of this family. Olivia loves him."

"You named him 'Cat'?"

"Yes." Finn tried to place him back on the floor, but his claws were dug into his shirt. "That's enough. Let go of me."

"Gross." I got up and went to the other side of the room. Cats weren't my thing. I read over everything Finn had given me while he tried to pry that animal from his clothes.

I found it hard to believe that Jeremy and Pattie were so close, but completely shut off from the world. Was that why they hadn't shown up or called?

"I don't trust them anymore." I put the papers down. "I don't want them to know about the babies."

"Why? They have grandchildren. Don't you think they'd be thrilled?"

"I know they would, but I'm thinking about Maddie first. Everyone's forgetting how horrible Pattie was to her, and I'm not letting them in my house like all is forgiven."

"That's reasonable."

"I don't know these people. They've been gone for ten months."

"So how do they think they felt when you came back?"

He was always the wise one of the family, and I hated it. I wanted to feel angry, not think logically. He was making that difficult.

"Does anyone else know they're back?" I asked.

"No. I was waiting for you to tell them."

"Be at our house for dinner at seven." I slammed the door to his office shut and ran down the stairs.

_____________________________________________________________________________

There were a lot of hugs and kisses when everyone came over that night. I had since cooled down, but still hadn't told Maddie about my parents. I knew she wasn't going to take it well.

I had ordered from our favorite Italian restaurant so Maddie didn't have to cook, but Olivia still brought her pot roast.

"Great, we have dinner for the next five days." I placed it in the fridge.

"Where are the babies?" Keegan asked. "I haven't seen those boogers in far too long."

"They're upstairs waiting for you," Maddie told him.

He and Finn barreled through the house to find them. I never thought my brothers would have an affinity for babies, but they seemed to actually like them more than they let on in our younger years.

Bridget and Maddie chatted about Thorp, while I grilled Jane for answers about work.

"Everything's fine, Justin," she said, rolling her eyes.

"I don't believe that. What happened?"

"You're so paranoid. Nothing happened. Mario kept things together rather well."

"We'll see."

"Justin, we need to talk." Olivia appeared out of nowhere as I was setting the table with Maddie.

"About?"

"About your Christmas party." She followed me around.

"Wonderful. Are you planning it?"

"Well, no. Maddie wants to do it, but I can be her assistant."

"So, what exactly do you need from me?" I stopped and faced her.

"Just two simple words: no budget."

"Fine." I kissed her head. "Merry Christmas."

"This is going to be amazing." Olivia left, glossy eyed and clutching her heart.

"You just made her world," Maddie said.

"I live to please others," I replied sarcastically.

Dinner began with lots of wine for everyone, except Maddie. Keegan held Roman in his arms, forgoing food for himself. I never thought I'd see the day when he gave up eating, but there it was. Sophia was being an extreme princess and wouldn't let anyone hold her, so she was currently stewing in her little baby swing in the corner.

"So when is this party?" Jaxon asked me.

"I don't know. I have nothing to do with it. I'm jumping in a suit and walking down the stairs. That's my involvement."

"He likes parties as much as the next person." Maddie placed her hand on my leg. "He just doesn't like to show it."

"Is this like a family thing where people can bring their kids?" Bridget wondered.

"Of course. It's Christmas. And the house needs to be decorated too." Maddie looked around. We had never been that into ornaments and things of that nature, but if she wanted miles of garland stung up, that's what was going to happen.

"We're moving everything expensive upstairs," I said. "No snot nosed kid is breaking my shit."

"Justin, there is a baby at the table. Control your mouth," Keegan scolded.

"He's right. I read that babies can understand things by three months." Jaxon nodded.

"There is no baby who can do that."

"Yes-huh. I read it in a medical journal so you know it's true."

A big argument began on the topic, which turned almost violent when Finn threatened to throw a roll at Jaxon's forehead.

We were interrupted when Gioni came into the dining room. "Sir, you have a call."

He handed me the phone. "Hello."

"Is this Justin Bieber?"

"Yes, who is this?"

"This is Ronald Myser of the CIA. I spoke with one of your brothers earlier."

"Oh, yes." I got up from the table and left. "Is something wrong?"

"No, I was just calling to inform you that we've released your parents."

"Okay, thanks."

He hung up. I went back and handed the phone to Gioni.

"Who was that?" Maddie asked.

"Someone I know from Wisconsin." I didn't want to say too much.

"Are Jeremy and Pattie out yet?" Bridget asked.

"What?" Maddie's head whipped around.

"You didn't know? Yeah, they've been back for a while."

"You weren't supposed to know that," I said through my teeth.

"Keegan told me."

"Well, Olivia told me."

"Only because Finn told me first."

"Yeah, and Jaxon spilled the beans two weeks ago."

Jaxon sunk into his chair as I glared at him.

"They're back?" Maddie didn't seem to be angry, but more confused. I had a plan in my head to do this with more finesse.

"I don't know why I thought anything in this family could stay a secret," I said angrily.

They all remained quiet.

"So where are they?" Maddie asked.

"Coming home, I assume."

Nothing else about the subject was spoken that night. It turned very awkward very quickly.

_____________________________________________________________________________

The next morning was church. Maddie was still upset with me for not telling her about my parents. I tried to explain that I needed more time to actually think about it before I gave her false information.

"I deserved to know." She stomped into our room, fixing her hair.

"Yes, and I've already apologized, but I felt like it was best to keep you in the dark until I knew something definite." I snapped on my watch.

"How long have they been here?"

"I don't know. At least two weeks. They haven't made contact, and I haven't cared enough to look for them."

"Don't say that. They're your parents."

"Well, we've done fine without them so far."

"I want them to meet Roman and Sophia."

I protested, "I don't trust them."

She just shook her head. "Justin, you have to let it go."

"Are you forgetting how she talked to you? Why aren't you madder about this?"

"I am, but we need to forgive them."

"I don't forgive."

That was the end of that conversation for now.

We went to church that morning, deciding to leave the babies at home. I didn't feel like introducing my children to the entire congregation today. Ironically, Father Constanza talked about forgiveness and how it was healing for the soul.

Maddie grinned superiorly at me when service was over.

"Don't say a word." I helped her with her coat.

"I wasn't even going to. You heard the same service I did. He said it all for me."

"I'm still not convinced that Jeremy and Pattie deserve my forgiveness."

"Why? Because you're perfect and haven't made any mistakes in your life?"

"This conversation is getting tiring. When they get here, you do whatever you want. Forgive them, be all chummy with them, I don't care, but I can't fake being over things."

"No one is asking you to. But you're older than five, Justin. Be a grownup." Maddie held onto my arm as we went down the steps of the church. It was freezing out and the wind was blowing pretty strongly. I put on my leather gloves and looked through the crowd for the family.

"There they are." Maddie pointed across the street. There was a lot of congestion from all the church-goers, leaving from service.

"You know, it wouldn't kill us to cut out of here early so we can beat all the traffic." Keegan rubbed his hands together.

"You have too much sin in your life to leave early," Bridget said. "Besides, I like church."

"I do to. It's cathartic," Maddie agreed.

I rolled my eyes.

"Finn refuses to go to confessional. He thinks it's a waste of time." Olivia didn't seem pleased.

There were more conversations going on, but I had suddenly become very aware of my surroundings. My body felt uneasy in a way that it did when someone was watching.

I turned my head from side to side, just surveying the space around me. I didn't see anyone suspicious that I didn't know, but the feeling didn't subside. I looked over my right shoulder and saw the black town car with the front window half rolled down.

An older looking guy was smoking a cigarette and trying to be secretive about his task of watching me. I didn't recognize him off the top of my head, but I saw the way he sat hunched in his seat. It was a police stance; protective and ready to attack if necessary.

I wanted to go over there and say something. Who did he think he was, trying to keep tabs on me at church? Probably someone from the CIA, because I could tell he wasn't local authority.

"Hey, don't even look at him." Maddie squeezed my arm. "Let's take a walk."

"I want to go punch his face in." I don't know why I was having such a violent reaction to this cop, but I guess it was just my old nature fighting through.

Maddie rose up on her toes and placed her lips on mine, softly and slowly. I found myself lost for a second while I breathed her in until she pulled away.

"He's taking pictures." She wiped my lip. "I don't want him seeing you angry. They'll assume something is up."

"Just let it go." Keegan pushed me forward as we started walking down the street.

"I want to see you three in my office when we get home." I pointed to my brothers as Maddie and I took a detour through the park, separating from the group. They all nodded and kept on their way. We needed to separate ourselves since I was being followed, apparently.

Maddie and I walked through the white covered trees, our shoes clicking on the pavement.

"Are you cold?" I asked her.

"No, I'm okay."

"I feel like we need to discuss Jeremy and Pattie more."

"I thought you didn't want to."

"I changed my mind."

"I just want to know what your main issue is. You've never answered me. You're mad for some reason, but I don't know why." She brushed the hair out of her face that was being swirled around by the wind.

"Well, Pattie, for obvious reasons. I don't like the way she spoke to you, and she hasn't apologized sufficiently."

"Okay, I get that. And Jeremy?"

"He's a hypocrite in the worst way. He talks so much shit about families sticking together and how we all need to be bound by blood. First, he ships me off to Brazil for four years. Second, when we get back, he takes off like it's nothing. He left us here when we needed a leader the most."

"That's what you're here for."

"Yeah, well I can't do it all," I admitted. "He has an authority that can only come with time in his position. No one trusts me. Jeremy knows that more shit could have gotten done if he stayed for a little bit longer."

"See, now that I know you feel this way, we can be mad together."

I chuckled, "That's all I'm asking, a little support."

"Jeremy's going to be so happy about the babies."

"Once again, his idea of family seems to be different than mine. A father isn't someone who can leave for months at a time, and then come back like nothing happened. If he thinks he can just walk into my house and hold my children like he's their grandfather, he has another thing coming."

"But he is their grandfather."

"Maybe biologically."

Our walk was fairly quiet after that. By the time we reached the other end of the park, our noses were red and our ears were freezing. William was miraculously waiting with the car idling and the door opened.

When we got home, I noticed my bothers already there, so I went upstairs into my office. Finn and Keegan were going through a weapons catalog while Jaxon was on my computer.

"What is this meeting for?" Finn asked. "I don't think I've talked to you this much in months, and suddenly, you need to have secret conversations? I don't like where this is heading."

"I don't either." I took off my jacket. "I feel bad that it's come to this, but certain things have to be done to ensure our survival."

"Okay..." Jaxon looked at me weirdly.

I sat on the couch and propped my feet onto the table in front of me. "What would you say if I told you that I wanted to rid Chicago over every upper level crime boss except for myself."

All three of them thought it over for a second.

"That's... ambitious," Keegan chose his words carefully, "but impossible. Sorry."

"It's not impossible. We can each take a few heads for our own. In no time, the city will be crumbled."

"Justin, I want you to listen to me very carefully." Finn sat on the table. "This is not a wise idea."

"And why not?"

"You need to take a step back and just control yourself. Think about what you're saying, Justin. You're talking about killing off James, Shinobu, almost all the Mangicavallos ..."

"Let me spare you the details. There are about twenty people who need to be dead very soon. I've made a list." I dug through my pocket and handed it to him. "I figure we can start after the holidays."

"Being gracious?" Keegan scoffed.

"I don't want blood on my hands over Christmas."

Finn continued his protesting. "I don't like this at all."

"Then you don't have to join, but when we start reaping the benefits, you sit on the sidelines." I snatched the paper from him. "This isn't that hard of a task. Things are happening very quickly. Either they come to kill me or I get them first."

"But think about how much disruption this will cause." Finn, always the voice of reason, was persistent. "And even if we do succeeded in killing them all off, every syndicate will just place another head on top."

"Do you think they would be prepared for that?" I asked rhetorically. "No one has a system like us. That's why we work so well. If I died tomorrow, God forbid, Keegan would step in right away; no hesitation or question. We've planned it like that from the beginning. You saw how rocky it was when Jeremy left, but we've ironed out those kinks. We kill all these bosses; no one will know what to do."

"Yeah, but... this is crazy. Will someone else agree with me?" Finn almost begged for support. "Tell him he's crazy."

"I think it's an awesome idea," Jaxon concluded.

"See. Thank you."

"I call dibs on Shinobu. That fucker has been a pain in my ass since college." Keegan cracked his knuckles. "If we split the list up, we can get this done in no time."

"But won't people catch on?"

"That's the plan. They catch on, get scared and run. If they stay, they die. Simple mathematics."

"I'm in!" Jaxon nodded. "Let's do this."

"Not a word to anyone," I commanded. "And I mean it. You all seem to have this affinity to let your lips fly free when it comes to Olivia, Bridget, and Jane."

"We don't have secrets." Keegan crossed his arms. "Maybe you should try it."

"It's for her protection. If Maddie knew half the things going on in my mind, she would be dead as soon as she stepped out of the house. People leave her alone because they know she doesn't have any information. I've made sure of that since the beginning."

"Very stealthy, but highly ineffective." Jaxon, suddenly the expert on relationships, felt the need to school me.

"Back to the list. If we're going to do this, calculations need to be made and executed quickly. If we all do this right, we can be done with it in no time at all. Not a word to anyone."

The all swore to it and we decided to reconvene after the New Year. We would reconvene after the New Year.

-----
I'm watching ghost whisper and got bored.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

287K 4K 48
This is the sequal to instagram book #1 if you haven't read book one I suggest you do or it could get very confusing. Thank you for all the love on...
467K 31.6K 47
♮Idol au ♮"I don't think I can do it." "Of course you can, I believe in you. Don't worry, okay? I'll be right here backstage fo...
855K 23K 38
Ava Daniels is beautiful, smart, talented, and the valedictorian of her graduating class, she may seem like the perfect little socialite but she harb...
594K 9.2K 87
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...