Destined To Be With You

By RileyLove

Benjamin Stratford, a young lawyer from Los Angeles thinks he has his life all figured out until a woman from... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19

Prologue

5.9K 44 7
By RileyLove

Benjamin Stratford was speeding down the highway in a hurry to pick up his girlfriend Emily Collins from the airport. She was coming back from a 2 week business trip to New York. She is currently a public representative for 2 up and coming actors. While Ben is a lawyer. Ben and Emily have never spent time apart in the 5 months they’ve been together. Ben was so excited to finally get to see her astounding blue eyes, smell her long auburn hair, and kiss her pink lips. Even though they’ve been in touch several times a day everyday while she was away, it wasn’t enough for him. He missed her so much. He smiled just thinking about what it was going to be like running to her in the airport. He would immediately scoop her up in his arms and twirl her around.

Then his thoughts were interrupted by his cell phone ringing. The caller id read, ‘Katelynn Lennox’ Why is she calling me, he thought. But he was too excited to see Emily to care how weird it was that Katelynn was calling, so he answered his phone happily, “Katelynn Lennox, to what do I owe the pleasure?”

Katelynn was panicking, she spoke almost too fast for Ben to understand her, “ Ben, you have to go to the Los Angeles Holy Cross right now. Liv’s in labor!”

“Why me-”

He was cut off by Kate’s still panicked voice, “Ben, I can’t be there because I’m in New York and Liv’s family is away for vacation. You’re-”

This time he cut her off, “What about the father of her baby? Why can’t he be there? Why me?” he asked

“Ben just fucking listen to me. We don’t have time. You’re the baby daddy, okay?” She waited for him to interrupt again, but he was silent so she continued, “Now I know once you fully register what I just said you’re gonna ask a billion questions but right now I can’t explain everything. Just head over to Holy Cross, okay?”

He immediately hung up on her and took the nearest exit and headed towards the Holy Cross. The thoughts in his mind were running a hundred miles per second. Liv was pregnant with his baby and he didn’t know why he didn’t doubt it was true. He didn’t object to the idea, he just felt that it was the truth.

Once he got to the hospital, he asked the elderly nurse at the receptionist area for Olivia Bergdorf. The nurse calmly checked the board for Bergdorf and told him she was to be placed in room 3. On his way to the room he heard a familiar voice begging and pleading, “Isn’t there something you can give me to stop this pain? Please! It’s excruciating. I can’t handle it!”

It was Liv, she was in a wheelchair. The nurse was pushing her towards room 3. Liv looked miserable. Her right hand was grasping her now huge stomach and the other was grabbing the nurses hand. It’s been 4 months since he’s seen her. The last time he saw her, she was the petite, hazel eyed, brown haired girl. But now, the only thing different was the basketball shaped stomach.

The nurse tried to speak to Liv in a comforting tone, “Mrs. Bergdorf, I’m sorry but we can’t give you any drugs until we know exactly how far along into labor you are. And since you’re only 6 months pregnant we need to run extra examinations and tests. By the way, where is your husband? Is he on his way?”

Before Liv could answer Ben answered the nurse, “I’m right here.” The nurse smiled warmly at the two. Shock was written all over Liv’s face. She didn’t expect Ben to be there holding her hand while she suffered through every contraction.

“Why hello Mr. Bergdorf. You must be excited. We’re headed to room 3.” the all too happy nurse replied.

Liv tried to explain that he wasn’t her husband, “Oh, he’s not my-” then she had another contraction, “OWW! Dear God. How long is this going to last?” The pain was so sharp she was nearing tears. She grabbed Ben’s hand with so much force he yelped from the pain. He didn’t know how such a tiny girl had so much strength in one hand.

“Oh dear, I’m sorry. There’s no way to tell how long you’ll be in labor. But once we get the doctor in we’ll know how many centimeters you’re dilated.” The nurse said as she helped Ben place Liv on the bed.

Ben sat in a chair next to Liv’s bed. He felt helpless and useless. All he was doing was holding her hand. Although her death dip hurt like crazy, he was pretty sure the pain he was feeling was no where near the pain Liv was feeling. Each time a contraction hit she would squeeze his hand with all her might, squirm, groan and tears would be falling from her eyes. He’s known her for 7 years now, and he’s never seen her cry.

As much as Liv wished she only had giving birth to worry about, she couldn’t help but think about Ben and why he was there. Who told him? Oh, duh, it has to be Kate. That bitch is the only one who knew. She’s suppose to be my best friend. Why the hell would she betray me like that? She thought. She looked over at Ben, he was still holding her hand. He didn’t say anything to her. He just watched her intently. He looked worried every time a contraction came along.

After 30 minutes, the contractions were further apart. Then finally, the contractions somehow stopped. Liv unknowingly dozed off into a deep sleep. Ben immediately called for the nurse, “What’s happening? Is she okay? Why did she pass out?”

“Mr. Bergdorf, calm down. She’s fine. She’s just exhausted. She wasn’t in labor. This is what you call a false alarm. Don’t worry. She’ll be okay.” The nurse said

Ben exhaled in relief, “What do I do now? Do I need to get her anything?”

“No, you don’t need to do anything else. Just wait until she wakes up. I’m sure she’ll be happy waking up having you by her side.” He knew that when she woke up with him by her side she’d be anything but happy. He didn’t know what he was going to say to her first. He was angry she didn’t tell him. Why would she make him think that she got pregnant by a random guy at a club? Sure they weren’t together, but didn’t she know him well enough to know that he would be responsible enough to take care of her and their baby.

He dozed off but was shortly awaken by the doctor. “Mr. Bergdorf. Excuse me Mr.Bergdorf.” He opened his eyes to a middle aged blonde female doctor. “Hi Mr. Bergdorf, I don’t think we’ve met. I’m Dr. Wooden.” He shook his hand and continued, “Liv always came to her appointments either with Katelynn or by herself.” Ben was still disoriented from his nap. He sat up and stretched a bit.

He finally spoke, “Uh, yeah. We haven’t met, I’m actually Benjamin Stratford. We’re not married.” He’d been called Mr. Bergdorf the whole time he was at the hospital and hadn’t bothered to correct the nurse. Maybe it’s because he was just focused on Liv and the baby.

“Oh, well my apologies Mr. Stratford. Do you think we could wake Liv so we can take an ultrasound to check up on everything?”

“You can call me Ben. And yes, I’ll wake her up.” Dr. Wooden smile in response while she washed her hands.

Ben looked to Liv, she had her hands gently placed under her face. This tiny girl, when she’s awake, is the feistiest, smart ass he’s ever known. But when she slept, she almost looked angel like. He gently shook her as he whispered, “Liv, wake up. Dr. Wooden wants to take an ultrasound.” Her eyes fluttered open.

It wasn’t a dream, Liv thought as her eyes opened to those hazel eyes she knew so well. He was really here. He knew this was his baby and she knew he would be bombarding her with questions once they were alone. But for right now he just stared at her and carefully helped her lay flat down on the bed. He held her as if she was so easy to break.

Dr. Wooden extracted the cool jelly on Liv’s belly and began maneuvering the wand in the gel. Then suddenly there were thumps coming from the machine. Dr. Wooden looked up on the black and white screen and smiled, “Looks like your little girl’s heart beat is normal.” Ben unknowingly grabbed a hold of Liv’s hand. She looked up at him while he smiled at the screen. When Dr. Wooden said ‘little girl’ his smile became even bigger. Dr. Wooden continued, “Development is coming along great.”

Before Dr. Wooden could turn off the machine Ben asked, “Do you think I could get a picture of this ultrasound?”

Dr Wooden smiled, “Of course, just give me a second. You know Liv already has plenty.”

“Oh I know, I just want a more recent one, if that’s okay.”

“No problem, Ben. I’ll have the nurse bring it to you on your way out.” Then Dr. Wooden turned to Liv, “Now, Liv, are you getting enough rest? I prescribed you to modified bedrest last month, have you been following my orders?”

Liv broke her gazed from Ben’s smiling face, “Yes, I have. I work at home now. I just have Kate send my sketches and attend meetings for me.”

“Well, is there anything else that you could be stressing about? Are you still showing in fashion week?”

Liv pried her hand away from Ben’s and nervously clasped her hands together and answered, “Well, yes. I’m still showing in fashion week. But I’m letting Kate do everything, I promise! As of right now, I’m just approving all the final changes.”

Dr. Wooden gave her a stern look, “Okay, but you need to rest as much as you can. Your baby is better than healthy right now but a false alarm like this is a sign that you need rest.”

Liv nodded and Dr. Wooden looked to Ben, “And you dad, should be making sure she doesn’t over work herself. Make sure she sleeps early and comfortably.”

Ben nodded, “I will.”

Dr. Wooden smiled “I’m counting on you.” Then she turned to the paper work on the counter and continued, “Well, you can go home now, but I expect to see you here in a few weeks for your scheduled appointment.” Once she finished with the papers, she walked towards the door, “Take care of yourself Liv, and see you at the appointment, Ben.”

“Thank you Dr. Wooden.” The two said.

It was silent. Ben didn’t know where to start or how to start asking Liv. And Liv was definitely not ready to discuss anything but she spoke first, “Turn around, I need to change out of this hospital gown.” He did as she said and finally he began, “That’s my baby. My daughter.” It wasn’t a question but a statement. Liv didn’t say anything. “Why did you lie?”

Liv spoke but didn’t answer his question, “Okay, done.”

He turned around, looking at her, expecting her to answer. “Liv, why didn’t you tell me you’re pregnant with my baby girl?”

“You were happy with Emily, I didn’t want to ruin that.”

“Still, you should’ve told me. I have a right to know. How could you keep something like this” he directed his hand to her stomach, “from me?”

“You don’t want kids. You made that perfectly clear when you and I were together. How could I tell you I was pregnant with your child when you don’t even want children? You would’ve told me to get an abortion.” Liv’s eyes began to fill with tears. Liv doesn’t usually cry or get emotional but since she’s been pregnant she’s been on an emotional roller coaster.

“Liv, that was 7 years ago, we were 18 when we were together. I didn’t know what I wanted.”

“And you know what you want now.” She said sarcastically.

“I’m 25 now, Liv. I’m not the same guy I was in college.” She just stared at him. “Things have changed since then, Liv. You should’ve told me.”

“Well, now you know.”

The conversation stopped there. Ben helped Liv off the bed and they made their way to the parking lot. She swiftly walked away from him heading towards her car, he gently pulled on her arm, “Woah, slow down. I should probably take you home.”

She pulled her arm away from his grip, “Ben, I’m fine. I can take care of myself and I am more than capable of driving home.”

“Well, let me at least follow you home and make sure you get home safely.”

She shrugged and he said, “Okay just wait till I drive up behind you.”

Ben got to his car and heard a beep. It was his phone, 20 missed calls, 10 text messages, and 12 voice messages. “Fuck” he said aloud. Most from Emily. He forgot all about her. He just found out he’s going to be a dad and now he had to worry about his more than pissed off girlfriend. He debated on whether or not he should call her at that moment but he decided to wait until it he was at his apartment to deal with it. Instead, he texted her, Em, sweetie, I’m so sorry I wasn’t there to pick you up. But I’ll explain everything later, I promise. I love you. It was already 2am in the morning. He’d been at the hospital for 5 hours. She was probably at home already asleep, he thought.

He followed Liv to a loft in Los Angeles. He helped her with her bags and brought it up to her place. Once he stepped through the front door, his nose was immediately filled with the sweet smell of chamomile and lavender. Liv had always loved that scent. When they were dating and he would stay over at her dorm that was all he smelled. From then on, it had been his favorite smell in the whole world.

Liv placed her bags in their appropriate spots and walked over to Ben, “So, thanks for making sure I got home alright.”

He was looking over her belly. He was still surprised at how pregnant she was. “Oh no problem. Remember what Dr. Wooden said, you need to rest as much as you can. And sleep early. And call me if you need anything alright? You have my number, don’t you?”

“Listen, Ben, you don’t have to look after me. I know Dr. Wooden told you to take care of me but I’ll be okay. I’ve been doing fine all by myself for the past 6 months and I don’t need your-”

He cut her off, “Liv, seriously. You kept this from me for 6 months too long. You’ve been doing this all by yourself because you didn’t tell me about it. I know you can do this by yourself, but you shouldn’t have to. And if I didn’t make myself clear enough earlier, I’m not the same 18 year old, I’m going to be here for our baby.”

“Ben, stop. I’m not asking you to do anything. I appreciate everything you did for me tonight, but you don’t have to do anything.”

“Liv, will you just fucking listen to me! I’m going to take care of you and our baby girl. You didn’t let me be there for you girls for 6 months, let me be there for you now. I want to be apart of her life. I want to be her dad.”

“Fine.” She said in defeat.

“Okay. So here’s my number. If you need anything, I mean anything, call me. And call me about appointments or whatever you’re doing, okay?” He looked up at her from the piece of paper and waited for her to agree.

“I’ll try.” Liv whispered hesitantly.

“Liv, don’t be like this. I know you insist on doing everything all by yourself but let me help. You pushed me out of your life, you can’t push me out of my daughter’s life too.” His eyes were pleading and begging.

“Fine.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 69 32
EDITING Abigail was 13 when her parents were killed, but she was fortunate enough to have loving grandparents to take her in. She lived a pretty nor...
79.9K 1.9K 38
This story is about a girl named Destiny. She lives with the constant abuse from her father and an absent mother. All she really wants is to be loved...
476K 15.5K 81
"Why are you naked?" I asked him avoiding the sight in front of me. My face is heating up more now. "Are you sure princess, this is what they call n...
14.7K 175 16
Aria is involved in an abusive relationship with her 'boyfriend' Jake, and she has a child, Daisy, with Ezra that she has had to keep a secret from h...