Climbing The Steps Of Adultho...

By I_just_had_to

Welcome to my Public Journalđź“– Will you come along with me on my journey to overcome the obstacles that may a... More

Introduction
Chapter 1 : Was I blind?
Chapter 2: Well then
Chapter 3: Why can't I ?
Chapter 4: Miss Perfect
Chapter 5: My only Escape
Chapter 7: Potential Job
Chapter 8: The Interview
Chapter 9: No Answer
Chapter 10: Confide
Chapter 11: Adult choices
Chapter 12: Am I?
Chapter 13: I Know This
Chapter 14: Friends
Chapter 15: A Nuisance
Chapter 16: Accept it
Chapter 17: Turn Out To Be Nothing

chapter 6: The Birthday Girl

11 1 0
By I_just_had_to

Well today is my birthday....

Yay.

Not yay.

When you don't have a boyfriend, your friends aren't close to you, your family could care less and the only friend you had in area is off to college and you couldn't tell the last time you've seen her this birthday it's bound yo suck oh oh how could I forget?

An impending hurricane by the name of Mathew is well on its way. Its been raining since I woke up it seems to always rain on my birthday no matter what I've gotten used to it though.

So I woke up out of bed and I got a few birthday messages that honestly made my day.

Who doesn't love friends right?

I mean I have few friends and I wouldn't give them up for the world because I know that only a small amount out there can be trusted and well be able to put up with someone with a personality of me.

In a world where there is so much negativity and a judging society its good to have persons you can trust and those are my friends..

So I got a few messages from my family members.,.

And what is this? A message from my Aunt?

Happy Birthday to my niece Ms Tory Schyloch!!! We had our differences but I love you just the same!
Wishing you love, peace, prosperity, wealth, health and Strength!!! Have a great day!!!.

Well we had our differences indeed.

Its was kinda expected I'd get a birthday wish probably an empty one but a greeting none the less she's a sucker for being the bigger person and all so of course it rubbed off.

Thanks its greatly appreciated😄😄.

I replied the message was sent in the family WhatsApp group so of course the others followed suit even if they didn't remember my boring birth.

I got calls from various persons some I who I thought deleted number.

My mother called she wished me a happy birthday.

I don't really get gifts on my birthday so it not something I look forward to or expect you know?.

So I guess my grandma came in late last night I saw her come in my room.

"Hey can you post happy birthday to my lovely granddaughter on Facebook, I don't know how to do it".

With a confused expression I replied "you want me to do it?".

"Yeah yeah" she handed me the phone and I posted what she said on my timeline then handed her back the phone after she just exited out the room.

She didn't even tell me happy birthday...

I mean she told me to write it on Facebook..

I guess that's enough...Right?

All she did was cook breakfast for herself then went into the bathroom to shower.

She takes care of this old lady and she also owns a clothing store, I stay there sometimes seeing that I'm currently unemployed, she doesn't pay me if that's what you're wondering, I never asked and she's never offered and I understand that.

Its not every day a sale is made plus she has to pay monthly rent.

Anyhoo after she left I got out of bed and cleaned up my dusty old room after I went into the kitchen and fixed a frozen chicken burger got my favorite vegetables lettuce, added a few tomatoes, mayonnaise, cheese and ketchup to top it all off and boy was it worth it. I made a cup of coffee also with vanilla creamer.

For most of the morning all I basically did was look for a suit of clothes to wear on my special day, an hour later and I'm still unsuccessful.

Am I the only one who doesn't like picking out clothes to wear? Ugh! Its agonizing and time consuming.... I need a stylist.

Ha I can't even afford one.

Digging around I saw a brown flared skirt I've never worn before, picking it up I analyzed it, it had a High waist line and was kinda ruffled, and also a a little big around the waist.

Guess I'm gonna have pop out the needle and thread.

I always wanted a sewing machine, I asked my dad when I was in highschool... Now its just a promise that was never fullfilled. I know that if he could he would but he has like four of us in all and now another one on the way... One who I had to see his girlfriend to know she was pregnant but its fine.. I'm fine.. Its just I thought he was finished with all that baby making thing..

Yeah yeah yeah I know I know they must be having *whispers* sex but sheesh what about birth control? Contraceptive measures??.

A condom a condom yeah that? What about that?.

Funny thing is I heard about the pregnancy through my mom, and like the non believer I am that my dad would've told me I didn't believe it, but of course in society today its more of I see it to believe it sorta thing so of course when I saw I wanted to unsee it...

Mostly because he basically a single father.

Let me elaborate.

His girlfriend had a son before she had the twins for my dad, so that's three, the first one my dad actually also sends him to school.

Then my dads girlfriend she's not working and I guess he provides for her too so he basically has like four kids and then don't forget about the baby on the way and my sisters and I so let me whip out my calculator

Error error yeah yeah my poor calculator got broken checking it.

My dad is a firefighter and I'm sure that income that has to be split up in so many ways must be hard on him, one of the reasons I really really need a job so I can give back to him.

Straying from the point here okayyyyyyy.

So I got the needle and thread then began stitching the sides so the skirt actually fits me when I put it on.

Thirty minutes later and I'm finished yeah yeah I know I'm a slow stitcher.

I tried on the skirt, a little too tight for my liking but it can work.

Now I need a top, why don't I just walk out in my original birthday suit I'm sure hat would turn heads.

I found a black spaghetti strap shirt.

I ironed them out and placed them on the neatly spread bed.

I headed in the shower.

After I came out I put on my clothes then started gathering my makeup.

I don't normally wear makeup but I want to look slightly different you know? In a good way not like s clown and certainly not applying layer after layer that my friend is wayyy too much... For me at least.

I take my eyeliner and make a wing line around my eyes.

Thank you for YouTube videos ha!

I apply eyebrow pencil and concealer to my brows to make them look almost perfect.

After which my light face powder is applied.

I brushed my teeth then apply lipstick and lip gloss.

I brush my hair back adding a few curls in the mix, after looking in the mirror and approving my look I grab my shoulder black bag then head out the door.

Walking on the road I placed my earbuds in until I approached my grandmothers little clothing boutique.

Upon entry I got wows and gasps.

From my little sister Penelope and her friends.

"Hey guys" I said walking over to the available seat.

"So Tor, you look great"

Everyone started nodding their heads in agreement I simply said 'thanks' sheepishly.

Going through my Facebook notifications I replied to all the happy birthday's that was posted in the morning.

I got messages from all over my WhatsApp contact list display pictures were mostly me and I've never felt so good.

🎶i don't wanna know oh oh oh whose taking you hoooome and loving you so so so the I used to l-🎶

"Hello?".

"Hi happy birthday Tory".

"Thanks".

"So you going out for your birthday?".

"Uh no I don't think so, it's raining".

The masculine voice on the other end paused.

"So do you want to go out?".

"Its raining".

"No no like after  with me?".

Fxck

"I don't know".

"What do you mean you don't know?".

"I'll think about it then get back to you".

"Oh okay then".

"Uh...later..."

"Yeah yeah".

With that I ended the call.

I didn't actually want to go out with him..

I went out with him on one date before and already I knew he wouldn't be able to handle my somewhat weird personality we were like complete opposites.

Right then and there I knew we couldn't work..

None the less even though we weren't in a relationship we still remained in contact.

If I date someone who is too mature to even have fun what's the point in dating that person if they see me as an idiot...

So there I was just sitting in the store when my sister Penelope said shes going by our father.

He forgot my birthday....

Minutes later I heard my phone start ringing.

Aaahh I guess my sister told him I was complaining that he forgot when his first child was born.

"Hello".

"Happy Birthday".

"Penelope there?".

"No".

"You're lying you forgot".

"No I didn't forget" he said laughing.

Isn't funny dad.

"Yes you did Penelope told you, she said she was coming by your workplace a while ago".

I didn't forget I was running low on credit which is why I never called earlier".

Yeahhhhh surrrrreeeee.

"I want a necklace for my birthday with my first initial on it the latch broke on my other one and I lost it".

"I'll talk to you about that at a later date".

Yeah next never.

Its not that I never appreciated my dad trust me I appreciated him like a truck load! But I never got stuff from anyone on occasion like this and I think I've gotten used to it all...

It's actually one of the reasons I'm self motivated, if I did well at something I did it for me and no one else or anything else because I never had incentives anything to look forward you know?.

OK maybe you don't know...

And I'm blabbering.

So I went through the day  blah blah blah it rained and rained and rained.

However in the night the raining subdued and my sister and I decided we'd go to the nearby restaurant and grill to get some professionally done chicken.

I got dressed took some pictures and I withdrew money from my card at the nearest ATM and we headed on our way.

Its funny how it's my birthday and I'm the one taking up the tab..

The place was packed to the brim and persons were standing in line to place they're order seeing as it was more of an out doorsy restaurant.

Finally reaching the front I placed out orders and sat where the tables were situated.

Thirty minutes later our food came and we never delayed digging in.

A couple minutes in and I saw my cousin, well my sister saw our cousin and waved him over.

"If you tell him about my birthday I will punch you" I sternly told her before he reached over.

"Pffffft" she replied.

"So how's the weather treating ya? I see you guys are here enjoying the food" he said pointing to our almost finished food.

"Yeah" I lamely replied.

"Today is her birthday".

Like  did she not hear what I said?.

We had our little eye conversation over the table as our cousin stood there oblivious.

"So what do you want from the bar? Cause you're old enough t drink right?"

More than old enough...

"What?" I replied dumbfounded.

He's not going to buy zilch.

But I answered anyway, I mean it won't hurt right?.

"I'd like a Smirnoff ice or the chocolate rum thing,  I don't remember what its called".

"Ok".

I then saw him strut off to the bar lounge.

"See you didn't even want to tell him it's your birthday and now you're getting a drink because of me".

"Whatever you still talk too much, he isn't going to buy anything anyway".

Minutes later I saw him walking over with the Smirnoff ice in hand.

Well he proved me wrong.

Frankly its the first thing I've gotten since this a treaturous day even started... Embarrassingly.

I think I'm gonna get a boyfriend soon...

"Thanks" I said sheepishly taking the drink from his hand.

"You're welcome, enjoy the rest of your evening" he said walking away.

The rest of the night went by as fast as it came....

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 378 38
‼️COMPLETED‼️ My true story. Read about everything I have had to face while getting to where I am now. This is not a book, this is my life. This stor...
2.8M 58.6K 50
[BOOK 1] [NOT EDITED] âťťif you were to describe me in one word, what would it be?âťž she had the perfect life, with ideal parents, loving family however...
3 0 1
This is a story about life, finding oneself in unfamiliar territory, losing those we love, staying together with those we love, growing up, hardship...
112 30 11
(DISCONTINUED) I walked all the way to the park. I waited every day for at least thirty minutes. I walked back my confidence withering. Every. Singl...