A Jantom short story.

By adrienctte

Based off of a role-play between a friend and I, this story is about how we feel their relationship would sta... More

Unexpected

The ressurection of John Keats

920 31 21
By adrienctte

"Tom?" I said. "Why the h**l are you at my house?" I ask.
"Um... I-I just thought I- oh just come with me." Tom says.
"Dude. I'm wearing my gym clothes from last period." I say.
"It doesn't matter- unless. You want to change."
"I'm not concerned about how they look or anything but I probably smell disgusting."
"Well if you don't care neither do I." He says with an unconvincing smile.
"I see you making a face! You obviously do. Give me five minutes."
"Ok."

~~~~~

Crap I should have gotten her brother to tell her I was coming over. Is exactly what I think as who, I assume must be Oskar approaches.

"So you're the infamous Tom." He says.
"That I am. You must be Oskar."
"I didn't expect you to have... horns." He says. "They're cool. Do you have fangs? That's so sick."
I laugh.
"That's exactly what Janna said when she met me." I say.
"She wore plastic dollar store fangs to school when she was eight and tried to convince her teachers she was a vampire." Says Oskar.
"That- Is adorable. Anything else?" I ask, trying to catch my breath from laughing so hard.
"When we were little kids she used to hold my hand at the dentist and demand I get them to make her teeth into actual fangs." He say. " She was weird. Still is, actually." He adds.
"Thats so cute." I say.
"This one time when she was thirtee-" He starts, I'll never know what cute thing Janna did cause she cuts her brother off.
"Don't you dare tell baby stories" Says Janna. Is she... nervous? All evidence points to her lip-biting. "Did he... tell you anything bad?" She asks.
"No. Just the reason you like me so much." I say, flashing a smile, showing off my fangs. She blushes.
"Because you're tall and I can make you grab things off the top shelf?"
"More or less."
"My legs are cold. Dresses are stupid." She says.
"You didn't need to wear a dress for me." I say.
"Don't flatter yourself. It's not for you. I just haven't done laundry in a while."
"You did laundry last night liar." Says Oskar, passing from the kitchen to the living room. I know exactly what Janna thinks as she turns around to shoot her brother a dirty look;

You are the most annoying human on earth. If I had laser eyes you would be so dead right now

I smile.

"What are you so happy about?" She says.
"You." I say, instantly regretting it. "Oh god that was so dumb I'm sorry." I add.
"Not any dumber than anything I've said." She says. I laugh. "My face is bright red isn't it?" She laughs.
"Probably not as red as mine." I say.
"So you agree?"
"...Yeah."
"Thanks. So where are we going anyways?" Asks Janna.
"I thought we'd go to the cemetery."
Janna's jaw drops in surprise and I see genuine gratitude in her eyes.
"Really? Thats... wow. Thats really sweet. The gesture I mean."
"Well, shall we?" I ask.
"Should I bring money or something?"
"No, you're good." I say, pointing to my skeleton horse-drawn-carriage.
"Oh wow. This is... kind of amazing." She says.
"I'm glad you think so."
"I guess we should probably go."
"After you." I say.
"NO. Don't you dare be all nice and chivalrous."
"Then by all means, After me."
"Stop being nice. I feel bad because I didn't do anything special for you."
"Don't. Just enjoy." I say.
"You're sure?" She asks.
"Yes."
"Fine."
"Good. If it makes you feel better I could make fun of you on the way ."
"For what? Putting on a dress and ma-...rain boots?" She says. "Actually, I think that would make me feel better. As long as I can make fun of your tacky tie."
"Ok, first of all. your tie is red since when do you wear red? I've only ever seen you wear tacky dark green or black." I say, not meaning a word of it. " You like a demon. Aka me. You like me. 'Cause of my fangs. How dorky can you get?"

She looks at her feet.

"Fangs are cool. Winnie the pooh ties, however. Are not. Not after you turn five."
"Fair enough." I say.
"Not that I care but do you.. not like red?"
"No. I like it. Especially on you." Was that dumb?
" And why might that be?" Says Janna. Her face deep shade of red.
"It compliments your hair and eyes."
"My eyes are brown. That makes no sense."
"Whatever."
Janna starts laughing and says; "If you're going to try to compliment something it at least has to make a little sense!" She leans onto my shoulder. I start laughing.
"You're so weird."
"How am I weird? Because we're in a carriage on the way to a cemetery? That, my good sir was your idea." She says in a British accent.
"Well that and, you're going with a demon. Horns, third eye, markings. The whole shebang!" Wait did I just say 'shebang'? What was I thinking!
"Shebang?" She asks. I'm screwed.
"I have no idea where that came from."
"No, it's funny. Kind of..." She takes a deep breath. Why is she taking a deep breath? "Cute."
She... thinks I'm cute? I mea- no she thinks 'shebang' is cute.
"Are you ok?" She asks.
"Oh, uh. heh. Yeah."
"Are you blushing?"
"Is it bad?"

She reaches over and pinches my cheek

"Nah. You just kind of look like a tomato."
"Well thats encouraging." I laugh.
"Were you looking for consolation or honesty? Sorry but I speak my mind."
" And that, my dear. Is why I love you- Uhhhhh" No. Did I really just say that?! Crap!

~~~~~~~~

"Y-y-you... love me?" I ask. Holy god he loves me?! What do I say, what do I do we haven't even kissed yet how does he know, was it a joke or is he being serious?!
"... Yes ... I- I understand if you don't feel the same way yet but I've been trying to take you on a date f-for three months" Three months? Three months? Three. fricking. months. "And by saying 'yet' I'm in no way implying you have to be in love with me I-I just meant." He stops himself.

Ok this is it. you've just gotta go for it right now Janna you've got this. I lean in and accidentally smack our foreheads together. " Oh god. I'm so sorry. I don't really know what I'm doing."

He laughs.

"Can I... can I try that again? If it's okay- or maybe you should because obviously I do understand how I'm suppos-"

Tom leans in close to my face, hesitating for just a moment before he presses his lips to mine. Oh god his lips are so soft. It feels like the kiss lasts forever. I want it to. His lips are soft and warm. Not chapped at all. My heart's beating so fast and it feels like a million moths are fluttering in my chest. I'm the first to disconnect from lack of air. I sigh and say;

"That was... so ... worth the wait."
"You... have no idea." He says.
"I really want to again." I say. "Wow. ok that was so awkward. I am so sorry."
"Me too." He says. "About wanting to kiss again. Not about being sorry."
"I should probably speak like a person. I'm sorry for being awkward. I've... well, I hadn't ever kissed anyone before and now... Do you think I'm completely weird?"
"Of course not. Well... actually yes. Completely. But in the best way." Says Tom.
"Awe. Thanks." I laugh.
"We're here." He says.
"Do you need help with anything?" I ask.
"No, I've got it. Just stay in here while I set up."

Five minutes later

"Okay you can come out now!" Says Tom.
I step out of the carriage to see... the cheesiest da*m thing in the world. There are lanterns, a blanket on the floor with a basket of food in and 'fancy' plastic plates and cutlery. I snort-laugh.
"You are. Such a cliché."
"I know it's super cheesy but just wait until after we eat." Said Tom.
"I swear if there is a guy with a guitar somewhere I am probably going to punch you." I would.
Tom laughs.
"Do you seriously think I'd think you'd like that?" He said.  Yes
"Well you have been putting roses in my locker so I wasn't sure..."
"Oh god. Fair enough."
"It was pretty bad. I'm not exactly a 'flower' person."
"Now you tell me!" Tom mocks.
"The thought behind it was cute!" I say.
"That's good, what's your favourite food?"
"You're gonna think it's so gross."
"What is it?"
"You have to promise not to laugh."
"I won't, I promise."
"Ok. Chocolate-covered Brussels sprouts. See I told you it sounds disgusting!"
"Well actually..." He says as he pulls out a box of chocolate-covered Brussels sprouts.
"No. Way." I say.
"Uh, duh-yes way."
"I cannot believe this."
"Have them now or save them for dessert?" He asks.
"Who saves sweets for dessert? Pass me ten." He passes me the box.
"When and how did you find out about them?"
"Halloween of '07 my mom passed them out to trick-or-treaters as a joke." I say. "Yeth, fimaly. Thomeone elthe who eaths thethe! Now ith's not groth to kith you!" I say with my mouth full.
"Oh my gosh.  I see where you get your charm from." He says taking a bite of one of the Brussels sprouts.
"Excuse you! My mom raised two well-rounded kids all on her own. So what if she taught us practical jokes were fun?"
"She did a great job" He says.
"I give her a seven out of ten." I say.
"Seven?"
"Well obviously I'm not perfect, and neither is Oskar."
"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: its loveliness increases: it will never pass into nothingness."
Oh. My, god.
" John Keats." I breath. "How do you know that line?" I smile.
"I have one more surprise for you tonight."
"If it's a poem I will personally take the liberty of telling you that you are the corniest person I have ever met."
"No, it's not a poem. It's even better."
"Did you get me amputated body parts? YES! I can finally do witchy stuff with those pictures from that book Ferguson leant me..."

He stands up, extends his arms, his eyes start to glow red and he starts to levitate off the ground.
"Tom... are you ok? Wind picks up and the air goes cool. Then suddenly, it stops. Tom falls to the ground, out of breath and dazed. I run over to him.

"T-Tom. What the hel-icoper just happened? You'd better be ok you idiot."
Something starts to come out of the ground.
"What the h**l..." I say, looking back at Tom.
"You said you liked John K-keats. I thought he should get a chance... to like you."
"Did you seriously just summon John Keats from the dead? Tom, that's crazy!" I say. He's so sweet.
" You don't like it?" He asks.
"That's the most... romantic thing anyone's ever done for me."
"Well, go say hi!" He says. I can't believe he did this for me. My god he is so sweet.

~~~~~~~

"Are you ready to experience the dorkiest thing you might possibly ever see? Janna asks.
"I've been waiting all night" I say. She turns around and addresses John Keats.
"Good morrow, Mr. Keats. How are you during this fine evening." She turns back to me and says; "Not. A. Word."
"Not a word." I say grinning and making a 'lip-zipping' motion.
"I am but a humble admirer viewing your works from afar. I must say, I have felt sentimental connections with several of your verses. It is an honour to meet you, sir." She says. I'm impressed. "I'm kinda fluent in Middle English. I was a nerdy little kid." She says to me.
"It's cute." I say. It really is.
"Most guys think it's weird and the ones who don't are Shakespeare junkies."
"Well, I have no idea what category that puts me in but I don't mind"
"That makes you a weirdo." I laugh.
"Go talk to your Mr. Keats." I say.
"You're not gonna retaliate? At all? Wow, Tom." Says Janna.
She turns around with a startle.
"Pardon me, I do not mean to interrupt your... courting, But I seem to have transported to a different area than I last remember." Says John Keats.
"Oh, our apologies sir. What you may have seen as.. courting.. is truly just the new modern method of ... socializing. Adolescents now us figurative language such as sarcasm to communicate emotions.- Tom. Can you stop smiling at me? It's not that weird!" Says Janna.
"No no, its's not weird at all. Keep going." Says Tom. Trying to keep a straight face. Failing.
"You are certain, miss, that this man is not courting you?" Asks John Keats.
"He thinks we're flirting. A lot, apparently." She whispers.
"Well maybe whispering isn't the best way to convince him we're not." I say.
"Pardon me, I am still startled and- I must admit, confused as to how I have transported to this place."
"Ah, good sir, you're in Echo Creek cemetery in California." I say.
" Tom. "You're" is not Middle English." Whispers Janna. "Good try. Don't worry, after hanging out with me for a while you'll speak Middle English in no time."
"Ok well. I tried and failed. You are inevitably, the master."
"Trust me. I know." Says Janna.
"Echo Creek cemetery... in California? Why, may I ask, am I in the United States of America? What year is it?" Asks John Keats.
"You have been... resurrected from the dead. Sir Tom thought it would impress myself."
"Well didn't it?" I ask.
"Yes, Tom. Yes it did. I am thoroughly impressed."
"Excuse my rash judgements but, Sir Tom- if I may. You know nothing about courting. Resurrecting the deceased to impress a lady is far from romantic." Says John Keats.
"Oh contrairé." I say.
"I understand that it will be hard to overlook your prejudices, Mr Keats. However, resurrecting the dead is incredibly romantic, to both myself and Sir Tom." Say Janna, trying not to giggle.
"Very much so." I add.
John Keats takes a moment to mull this over then says;
"Modern courting is quite odd."
"It truly is Mr Keats." Says Janna.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 62.9K 119
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
266K 9.2K 106
She was a capitol elite. He was the youngest victor in history. Their friendship was frowned upon, but their love was forbidden. Extended Summary Ins...
1.9M 85.4K 192
"Oppa", she called. "Yes, princess", seven voices replied back. It's a book about pure sibling bond. I don't own anything except the storyline.
78.8K 2.8K 49
"𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡, 𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐞, 𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐧 𝐛𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞𝐬 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐚𝐥𝐥, 𝐈 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐀𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐭𝐥𝐞" 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 Caitlin Clark fa...