C O A $ T A L

By CheJewels

Dreyah Washington & Kirk Vallei. More

| U N O R T H O D O X |
| B R O K E L A N D |
|W H E R E I T 'S A T|
|S U S P E C T|
|G E T P A I D|
|W A V E S|
| B A B Y L O N|
|S W E E T|
|H O T L I N E ● B L I N G|
D O N T
•S W E E T E R M A N•
R E A L
W H O L E D A M N Y E A R
E V E R Y O N E I S S O M E O N E
L E T I T B U R N
C H A R A D E
N I N A
E X C H A N G E
S A L V A T I O N
S A Y - I T
W E A K
I D G T
S M N
You Needed Me
C L O S E
Life After The Block
H E L L O

| F A N T O M |

17.8K 619 239
By CheJewels

_____________

Sitting in 7th block , and still can't get Kirk's business transaction out of my head. He looked so calm when he ran out of the alley. I don't know if I could've been so brave. The possibility of getting caught would be a constant in my mind.

"Ms.Washington?!" My geography teacher yelled , grabbing my attention.

"Yes?" I honestly hate this class...

"Have you completed the worksheet?"

Just then the bellrung. It was the last day before summer break so everyone rushed out like they were being chased. I grabbed the worksheet from my desk and placed it on hers while walking out of the classroom. It was a word search...she yelled at me for a word search...she needs mental help.

I wonder how Kirk ended up serving that guy. Maybe the man has a stressful life , and he's searching for a way out. What if he has a wife and kids at home that don't know about it? I wonder if one night he'll come home high out of his mind and the wife will yell at him about setting examples for the kids , then she'll take the kids and they'll go to her mother's house.

I just created an entire life for this man I don't even know.

The thought alone is , bone chilling. I mean , I don't see my dad much but I'm sure if he lived with me and had a problem like that , it would mess with me. But then again , there are murders that live in the same brownstone as me...hell , they're all up the block. So having a high dad most likely isn't the worst way to grow up. But it's still a bad way.

I walked out of the school ,and in the direction of my brownstone.

When I made it home Kirk was there waiting.

"Aight , look. Your moms won't be home for a while and she told me to look after you, I don't wanna sit in your house all day , so I'm taking you with me." He completed the sentence and began walking away.

"Wait , wait Kirk! Why would she do that? Did she say anything about me getting my hair done today?"

He slowed down to look back at me , at my hair , then turned around completely just to stare at me while he pondered my question.

"Yea , I think so. Maybe...but you gone have to get it done later , I ain't got time for salons today , Dre."

He started walking then , and of course I went after him. We ended up walking down an alley , and into an apartment building I didn't even know existed. We entered the living room of one of the apartments. Then we stopped , and Kirk seemed happier , like he was just so thrilled to see his buddies after a long day of illegal activity. But I need my hair done , so I'm not as happy obviously.

I pulled his sleeve , yanking him closer to me.

"Kirk , I really need to get my hair done. Why can't I go by myself? I can go , and we'll just tell my mom you went with me."

"No , not over here. You can't go no where alone over here. Plus , I'm not even sure why your mom made me do this. I don't know you well enough to protect you to be honest." He shrugged leaning onto the counter behind him.

"I know right! My mom is crazy. She always just thin-"

"Aye! Kirk , you not gone introduce us to your friend man?" One of the guys spoke.

"Uh , yeah..this is Dreyah. One of my friends....I think." He looked bored. Like he just felt so hassled to have to say my name.

"Well , my name is Joey." One of the guys got up , shaking my hand and giving me a friendly smile.

"I'm Kwon! How you doing gorgeous?" Another guy said. I could tell he was the funny one of the group by the way he stepped up to me , and made a funny face.

I laughed and waved at them. "Im Steez." The last boy seated in the room spoke.

"Hi , Steez , you guys." I greeted.

Kirk shifted beside me , putting his hand on my shoulder. "Dreyah has to get her hair done , so we gone go real quick." He hurriedly pulled me towards the door.

"But Kirk we gotta t-" The one I knew as Joey started only to be interupted by the sound of Kirk slamming the door closed.

I waited until we made it out into the hallway to question him on this sketchy escape we just made. "Yo , slow down! What the hell was that?" I snatched my arm away from him to release myself from his grip.

He turned around , indifference in his face and stance. "We're going to get your hair done. You just said you needed to right?"

"Yea , bu-"

"But nothing , let's go " Kirk finished.

We ended up at my regular salon. Kirk didn't want to go in at first but I forced him because , usually my mom would go but she wasn't there. My anxiety can be pretty horrid at times and I didn't want to be alone with all of those strangers. The hairdresser was okay , I knew her , but the clients were new and different and they made me uncomfortable.

"Kirk , come on , you can just sit in the corner and not say nothing." I pulled him into the salon.

"Hey , Dre! Where you been girl?" The hairdresser , Justine , chirped happily.

"Been busy with school." I smiled.

Me and Kirk sat next to each other in the chairs lining the wall.

It took a half hour before it was my turn to get in the chair. When it was time I jumped up and Kirk gave me a look. He didn't want to be left over there alone , but I had to get my hair done so I guess that sucks for him.

"So , who's your friend?" Justine teased , looking his way.

"His name is Kirk. Amara's old boyfriend remember?" I referred to my cousin's failed relationship with him.

She looked at him for awhile trying to remember. "Oh! Yea , he be with all those loud boys. They are the most annoying little crowd I ever seen in front of my building. One of your friends lives in there , I think his name is Joey. Mrs. Scott's son?" She spoke to Kirk.

He put on a fake smile and nodded. "Yes ma'am , that's him."

I'm kind of surprised he has manners since he was being so rude to me earlier. Ok , maybe not that rude , but he didn't have to drag me out of that apartment.

Justine washed my hair , then put rollers in it and put me under the dryer. It took a while for my hair to get dry , it was torture. I'm pretty sure if I was a couple shades brighter my face would have been flushed red from the heat. Taking the rollers out took forever too , but it was worth it after she combed it out. My hair was straight with a bump at the ends. She parted it on the side which I thought was incredibly cute.

Me and Kirk walked out of the shop after I paid Justine. I thought we would go back to the apartment we were at but he was walking me back to my house.

"Why are we going to my house?"

Kirk glanced over at me before looking ahead again. "Because it's 6 o'clock. Your mom is home."

"I don't want to go home." I frowned.

He looked at me like I had said something wild. "What you mean? What else would you do?"

"I don't know , it's just that I'm always home. I don't want to go back."

We walked in silence for about another two minutes before I spoke again.

"Can I ask you something?"

He nodded silently.

"Do you have five dollars?" He's definitely gonna say no.

He gave me an annoyed look and pulled out a wad of folded bills , handing me a five.

Wow , he didn't say no.

I watched him slide the bills back into his pocket , fascinated with the way it folded.

"How you get so much money?" He gave me the crazy look again. It's better than his weird blank stare.

"Why you worried? Don't you got some homework or something?" He leaned on the railing of the stoop in front of my brownstone.

I laughed at his comment. Considering I never do homework , it sounded like a hell of a joke to me. "No , I got bills. I want to know how you get so much money without a job."

He stood up straight , looking me deep in the eye. It made me kind of nervous but I made sure not to show it. "Why don't you get a job?"

"Why don't you?"

He chuckled. "You should get inside , girl. You ain't got no business in the streets when it's getting dark."

"You think I'm some joke don't you? I'm serious , Kirk. I seen you this morning selling to that man in the alley. I can do what you do. I'm not some punk , I can do this."

"Just go inside. I'll come by tomorrow at about 3. Don't make me wait cause I could be doing something better." He walked away.

"Ok." I muttered , despite being excited on the inside , my face was emotionless as I walked inside greeting my mom who was laying on the couch watching The View.

I went to sleep happy that night. For the first time in a while.

////

kirk out here ruining teenage girls , got them whippin dope in the trap woooow..

-NB

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2K 574 12
Let's see
2.8K 351 10
Let's see..