Senseless

By TheoryKierei

Book 3 of HomeLess Growing up in a family was what most kids who didn't have one, would dream about. As he go... More

SenseLess
Visit
There Are Mistakes
Why
The First Time We Fail
Do You Have a Heart?
Confusion
I Hear Your Voice
Don't Be Stupid
Maybe
Look Up, Not Yet
Look Down, Your Heart Stops
Too
For Him
Reason
A Little Talk
Enough
Two Different
Closer
Small Things
Just a Little
Second Try
And Back
Take it Slow
Overnight
Calm
Attention
Chances
What You Need
Heart
Who's There?
Soap
Wren
R
Halo
Calculate
Miscommunication
Closed Doors
Together

Given Up

39.4K 1.8K 810
By TheoryKierei

(Tommy and Christopher will be in this one, too, just gimme a few chapters to set stuff up and get a feel for the new peoples. And want a certain scene or thing to happen? Talk about it. I read the comments. It could happen, but I make no promises! o_o Feels warning.)

A.J.-

Waking up in a bed that wasn't full of lumps, without a terrible ache in his back, was a surprise. Actually, waking up in general, was a surprise. Warmth encircled his tired body as he fought to open his eyes. When the lids finally lifted, he was met with a dimly-lit room that smelled like... Honeysuckle? He couldn't quite be sure, but it did smell similar to those flowers that used to bloom on the bushes outside of his high school. 

Remembering high school made A.J.'s stomach churn with unease. The classes themselves weren't bad at all, but that was when his life had taken a turn for the worst. 

His attention was stolen from his thoughts as he felt something warm travel up his belly to come to a rest against where his heart was picking up speed. 

"You're safe here, A.J." 

Hearing Jade's deep voice put everything into perspective quickly. A.J. remembered agreeing to come home with him. The idea that he had accepted the offer so easily was almost unsettling, but when he thought about it, it made more sense than to stay where he was. It was clear that something was going on with the red-headed man. Jana. He knew Jana didn't like him. That much was obvious, but at the same time, he didn't push him away, either. 

Wren almost acted like a big brother, even though he was younger than me. 

Memories of his own brother twisted his stomach, forcing A.J. to stifle a gag as a shiver ran down his spine. Without a word, Jade started rubbing one strong hand along A.J.'s back. Taking several deep breaths, A.J. managed to keep himself from breaking down. Even after his brother ignored his parent's attacks on him, he still valued him, because he never took part in the vicious words. He had even sneaked A.J. food after their parents had greatly cut back what he could have. That had been the last few acts of kindness he'd gotten, however. When his brother was caught, he was punished badly enough to never even try such a thing again. 

"Out of bed." 

The order registered, and immediately, A.J. was standing by the edge of the bed. His legs ached and his heart was still beating too quickly, but he couldn't deny the man's words. It was ingrained in him to obey what he was told to do. 

Don't meet their eyes. Don't talk back. Don't smile. Don't---His jaw was grasped gently, then tilted up until he was forced to meet Jade's eyes in the dim room. His stress levels jumped at the contact, but A.J. didn't fight the man. If he wanted him to look up, then he would. 

"I normally prefer those staying with me to keep their eyes on the floor unless spoken to directly, but..." 

When Jade didn't continue to speak, A.J. swallowed, feeling the action move his throat against the man's strong fingers. The action seemed to help make Jade's decision, as he continued speaking. 

"Actually, do as you have been. When we're out, though, I want you to be aware of your surroundings and keep your attention focused on me. If I gesture for you to do something, I expect it to be done. Am I being clear?" 

A.J. began to nod, but Jade had his chin firmly tilted up, preventing the action. "Yes, sir." He hurried to say. 

"Good boy." 

The simple praise made A.J.'s breath catch as he took a hesitant step closer to the man now standing in from of him. Without thinking, he lifted his hands and pressed them, grasped together, to his own bare chest. He knew that the gesture looked pleading, and by all means, he would beg to hear the simple praise again. 

Instead of speaking, however, Jade just offered him a small smile and a pat on the head, before gesturing for A.J. to follow him. He did so right away, and without an ounce of hesitation. They ended up in a bathroom that was far larger than the one he had used the previous night. When Jade turned on the light, A.J. was taken aback by what he saw. 

The bathroom was indeed bigger. A huge porcelan tub sat nestled in the left corner. A dark red curtain hung, pushed back, near where it's spigot was placed by the back wall. On the other side, a shower stood with a frosted glass door. It was a step-in shower, but unlike the stall showers he'd seen in his parent's house or the few times he'd stayed over at friends, this one was definitely bigger. It could easily fit several people comfortably. 

"Are you alright to take off that shirt?" 

The question caught him off guard. He would never expect someone to ask him to get naked in front of them. He was skin and bones. That much was very evident just by looking at him. It was embarrassing to be in such a state... 

"I..." 

The need to obey the order made him snap his mouth shut. His fingers inched their way toward the hem of the long shirt he'd been lent the night before, but he was still hesitant. When he finally started to lift the fabric, Jade's hand pressed against the back of it. He hadn't realized it, but he had been shaking. 

"You're safe here, A.J.." 

A slight needle of doubt poked at his heart as Jade offered him a nod with his words. He must not have looked like he believed him, because Jade blew out a quiet sigh as he straightened back up and moved his hand to cup the side of A.J.'s face. 

There was no hesitation. A.J. nuzzled the man's hand, closing his eyes as he relished the contact. He felt Jade's other hand settle on his waist, and realized that he was right. As lips pressed softly to his forehead a few moments later, A.J. felt himself finally relax. 

"Good job, A.J." 

The praise had his heart fluttering as his eyes opened slightly, the lids hooded as he stared admirably up at Jade. He couldn't explain how he felt so much better with just a few simple words and touches, but his previous nervousness was all-but gone, leaving him eager to please the man standing before him. He still wouldn't do something he would end up being uncomfortable with, though, which lead him to force a quiet question from his slightly parted lips. 

"Why?" 

The one word was barely audible, but A.J. could tell that Jade had heard it and was contemplating his response. It was a relief, because he wanted more contact and he was afraid that if the man answered quickly, he'd move on to do something else. The thought of losing his touch made A.J. take an unconscious step forward. 

When Jade took a step back in response, A.J. flinched back and wrapped his arms around himself and jerked his head downward. "I'm sorry, sir." He stuttered out, knowing that he must have made a mistake for the man to retreat. 

At the sound of Jade's sigh, A.J. frowned, his shoulders tensing as he worried his fingers along his sides, gripping the shirt he still wore. 

"I apologize for the mixed signals. You aren't used to this kind of lifestyle and I told you that I would tell you the rules today. There are a lot, so I'll just start with the biggest one, then add more throughout the day." 

When Jade didn't continue, A.J. licked his lips and replied. "I understand, sir. I will listen and obey each rule." 

When Jade's praise of "Good boy," came, A.J. felt his lips tug up into a small smile. 

"The biggest rule I have is one you might not like, but it's imperative that you don't break it." 

A.J. nodded as he replied. "Yes sir. I understand. I will do my best not to break it." 

A hand suddenly settled beneath his jaw, tilting his head up so that their eyes could meet. 

"You will not break this rule. There is no try, A.J.. You must not break my rules." Jade warned, his voice far more stern. 

Worry wound its way through his belly as A.J. answered. "Yes sir. I will not break your rules." 

He couldn't promise that he wouldn't break them, though. Remembering all of the times he had to redo a chore for his parents made him doubt himself, greatly. He would try his best, though. He respected Jade for offering to help him, and for offering him attention. 

"The rule is that you may not touch me, for any reason, without first getting permission." 

Pursing his lips, A.J. felt his brow furrow at Jade's words, but he didn't think it would be too hard not to break the rule. He yearned to be close to the man, but he hadn't reached out for him yet, so perhaps he could keep his hands to himself. Besides, Jade seemed to be okay with giving out attention. As long as he was willing to offer a touch or word here and there, A.J. figured that he would do fine with that rule. 

"Okay, sir. I understand and will obey." A.J. said, his voice sounding far more sure than previously. 

Jade looked pleased as he gestured to the shirt A.J. still wore. "Are you okay with removing that now? I would really like to see what your body looks like underneath it so that I can make sure, if you've got bruising or any marks from deficiencies, that I can have Rose get those things as soon as possible." 

A.J. fidgeted for a moment with the hem of the shirt again, but when Jade took a step back, putting him over by the entrance to the bathroom, A.J. felt that he would be alright. It was a safe distance. He awkwardly tugged the huge shirt up and over his head, then folded it with slightly-shaky hands before setting it on the counter to his right that spanned most of the bathroom's left side up to the bath. 

"I'm very proud of you, A.J.." 

He felt exposed and embarrassed, because he knew that his body was much too skinny and had bruises in several places that he didn't even remember getting, but again. That praise. He soaked in Jade's words and felt his muscles relax enough to listen as the man commented about the bruises showing a lack of vitamin C and K after he confirmed that they weren't from anyone physically hurting him. He also listened when he asked if he would turn around for a moment so that he could see his back. 

The more Jade whispered comments to himself or had him move this way and that, the more A.J. began to feel like he might not be up to par. He wondered if Jade might not want to bother with someone who let themselves get so bad. It hadn't been intentional, but would Jade see it that way? He wasn't sure. 

"A.J.." 

He'd turned all the way back around, and at the sound of his name, hesitantly looked up. As Jade had been looking him over, A.J.'s doubt had settled like a rock in the pit of his stomach. 

"Hey..." 

Blinking out of his daze, A.J. gasped mutely when he noticed that Jade was right in front of him. He hurried to look down at his feet, but when he felt strong arms encircle him and pull his body forward, he jerked his hands behind his back and clasped them. He wouldn't break Jade's rule so soon. 

"A.J., it's okay." Jade said with a determined tone as he squeezed A.J. in a strong hug. "You may touch me if you would like, and I am very glad that you allowed me to look at you. I'll have rose get you some specific vitamins so we can clear up those bruises. We'll also get some meat on your bones, so I hope you like eating." 

A.J. couldn't help but laugh quietly as he wrapped his arms around Jade and sniffled. Jade hadn't seen someone who was too damaged to bother with. He had seen someone who could only get better with care. 

"I just have one more thing I'd like to speak to you about before we get our day started, A.J." Jade said as he spoke, his breath ghosting across A.J.'s left cheek. 

Without any hesitation, A.J. nodded. "Yes sir.  What would you like to talk about?" 

The hug tightened a little, making A.J. smile as he tightened his own hold and nuzzled against Jade's strong chest. 

"I would like to know your real name." 

A.J. blinked his eyes a few times, surprised by the question. No one had ever cared what his real name was. Even his adoptive parents had called him A.J. from day one. They'd adopted him when he was young, but not a baby. He'd spent several years at an orphanage before they'd found him, and he'd refused to accept a different name. 

"I use A.J. to remember my real name... I wouldn't let my adoptive parents change it. I needed the initials, at least." 

Feeling one of Jade's hands move to his back and begin rubbing in soothing circles made A.J. sigh out a content breath. His real name was his deepest kept secret, because he'd hoped that maybe one day, he'd find the people who gave him up. And maybe, just maybe, they'd want him back. So he'd kept his initials and called himself by his real name every night before he went to sleep. He wasn't sure why he hadn't wanted his adoptive parents to use it, but he knew that he wouldn't be allowed to keep his last name, even if they did accept the first one. So he'd kept both to himself. 

But maybe it's okay now. 

The idea scared him, but as he felt Jade's strong hand continue to move along his back, he decided that he would try to trust the man with it. 

"I was adopted after several years in an orphanage and never felt like I could really give up the name I was given by my real parents, so I changed my name to the initials. So that I would never forget." 

When Jade moved his hand up to stroke through his hair, A.J. pressed himself closer. 

"I was given to the orphanage right after it was safe for me to leave the hospital... I had been born premature and the doctors said that it was because of my mother's drug problem. The notes had said that she hadn't known she was pregnant until the last month or two because I was that small, or she'd ignored the other signs. At least that's what my records had said when I was finally allowed to read them. I don't want to believe them, or at least, I want to believe that by now, she's okay. That They'll want me back soon." He paused for a moment, then took a shaky breath before continuing. "My parents, they named me Jake Alaric." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

362K 15.1K 29
I look up at Todd's window and grimace when I see him gently pushing Jennifer into his room. So that's where he went. My stomach clenches painfully a...
Mine By Kate

Romance

257K 6.7K 65
" what's wrong," he asked, fucking tears, now I have to answer him " nothing I'm fine," I said he scoffed " I didn't ask are you okay but obviously y...
8.1K 158 56
Two broken souls in the midst of a crazy world. Two souls running away from their past. There was no light at the end of the tunnel. The tunnel was c...
6.1K 516 40
Book 3. Most kids think they are the reason their parents get a divorce. Dante Rodriquez Knew he was the reason. His mother couldn't accept him being...