Bioshock: The Story of Henry...

By Literate_Viking

Henry Walker is an avid inventor who never had it easy. One day he receives a mysterious letter asking him to... More

Prologue: Henry Walker
Chapter 1: The Letter
Chapter 2: Pick-Up
Chapter 3: Landing
Chapter 4: Talented Individuals
Chapter 5: Music and Corridors
Chapter 6: A.R.
Chapter 7: An Unexpected Visit
Chapter 8: Henry's Assignment
Chapter 9: The Assistant
Chapter 10: An Unforgettable Birthday
Chapter 11: Meeting with Ryan
Chapter 12: Welcome to Rapture
Chapter 13: The Apartments and The Orphanage
Chapter 14: The Workshop
Chapter 15: Sander Cohen
Chapter 16: Touring Rapture
Chapter 17: A Wonderful Day
Chapter 19: Coolant Tanks and Prostitutes
Chapter 20: La Rose Noire
Chapter 21: Fontaine
Chapter 22: Desperation
Chapter 23: The Alabama Bruiser
Chapter 24: Titan
Chapter 25: Adoption
Chapter 26: Introductions
Chapter 27: Discovery
Chapter 28: Steam
Chapter 29: ADAM
Chapter 30: Radio Check
Chapter 31: Fontaine Futuristics
Chapter 32: Splicer
Chapter 33: Subject Delta
Chapter 34: Power to the People
Chapter 35: Inferno
Chapter 36: Tenenbaum
Chapter 37: Atlas
Chapter 38: Separated
Chapter 39: Sunlight

Chapter 18: Change

757 16 2
By Literate_Viking

"Well, what if we connect the main wire circuit to the amplifier to maximize the range?" said Gil.

Henry thought for a moment. He shook his head slowly. "We could, but then we would be having waves of static interfere with the radio transmissions every ten to fifteen seconds. We would need to undo the entire wire board inside to extend the range of the radio."

Gils sighed deeply. "Well I guess we better get to it then, Mr. Ryan will be wanting this done tonight."

Henry nodded slowly. Andrew Ryan had wanted a lot of things now a days.

Three years had passed since Henry decided to take up Ryan on his offer of partnership, working with Gil to create an extensive and elaborate conjuration of a plethora of different technological wonders, devices and inventions. Throughout the past two years Rapture had changed considerably. The great underwater city had expanded almost to twice the size of what it was before. New buildings were created and an entire metro way had been built with the help of a specialized team of engineers and welders, which was lead and supervised by Henry, Jacob Norris, Simon and Daniel Wales and Bill Mcdonagh who Henry had befriended. Mcdonagh was a secret contractor of Ryan's personal group and had created hundreds of blueprints for Rapture. Ryan had become incredibly rich and powerful in his rise through the market and established Ryan Industries. Henry had been working in Hephaestus daily while at night he would join Gil in his secret workshop back in his apartment, coming up with new ideas for inventions that would be useful to Ryan and Rapture. Together they had created several devices that changed the way Rapture operated. Vending machines for food and first-aid supplies had been built by the hundreds and placed all over the city. Faster bathyspheres by attaching rotating propellers to the bottom of each sphere made transportation much quicker. An entire, robotic security system that aided the Rapture Authorities in keeping order. Turrets and bots were located at each security checkpoint and police station. There had been hundreds of new people that had appeared in Rapture of the two years and unfortunately crime had made itself known in Rapture. To combat this "threat of the parasite" as Andrew Ryan called it, he demanded that security be vigilant and aware at anytime, Henry and Gil made every bot relentless in hunting the criminals and reluctantly made each bot go for the kill shot. The bots were a small flying robot like device that fired a repeated barrage of machine gun rounds at the enemy, the turrets were basically the same except stationary and had a flamethrower variant as well as a rare rocket type that had yet to be used in the field.  Their most proud achievement had to be the pneumo tube. It's main base operated in Neptune's Bounty and expanded out into hundreds of small, metal tubes that stretched throughout Rapture. It was the fastest way to send letters and packages across all locations in Rapture. In made peoples lives quite simplistic and easier as each pneumo was installed inside the households, offices and workplaces of Rapture. Thanks to Henry and Gil, Ryan Industries had truly flourished. Now the two men were working tirelessly to perfect Henry's two way radio transmission device, except this time the number of radios that could hear and respond was unlimited. The only problem was the increase in transmission range.

"This better pay well." Henry grumbled.

Gil looked at his friend, a tired expression on his face. He nodded in agreement. "I'm sure Mr. Ryan will be sending his checks to use through the pneumo as we speak, who knows, maybe it will even be full pay-"

Henry snorted. "As if, face the truth Gil, Ryan has been promising each week that our full payment will either be sent to us directly through pneumo or will be deposited in our bank accounts and yet he's come up short on every single god damn payment!" 

Gil's face began to sweat a little and he looked nervous. "Now let's not get too hasty with our conclusions Henry, maybe there was a problem with one of the pneumo tubes, or the bank is holding our checks, or maybe-"

"Gil...we built the pneumo ourselves, we perfected it. There has never, ever been a problem with them before, it wouldn't make sense that they would just suddenly stop working. And I really doubt the bank would be holding our checks without them notifying us. Ryan's the richest man down here and you and I both know he's using the payments he owes us to buy more and more from the market." Henry said grimly.

Gil shook his head, not wanting to believe anything Henry had said. "But that can't be, surely this is all just one big misunderstanding."

Henry closed his eyes and breathed deeply, trying to calm himself. "I really want to believe it is Gil, I really do, but it isn't a mistake, I know this trick too well, happened to me just like on the surface. He's just like the fucking government."

Gil stared at Henry. "At least you are getting paid a wage Henry, you said it yourself that on the surface the government just took your inventions!"

"Damn it Gil that's not the point! You and I came down here to be free from that same kind of manipulative bullshit that they used on us topside, but its just as bad, Ryan promised we'd be rich, we'd be treated equally and fairly. Well you know what? We've got thugs and criminals down here now. Our own security bots have a death toll of thirty five people Gil, remember we made them go for the kill? We have jails now that take in a new robber or thug every day. And what about Paupers Drop? Hundreds of people live down in those slums while we're up here living full and free, or so they think we are, but we're really not!"

Gil was shocked. "Henry, th..those people were not part of the original project, they did not help create Rapture, we are close to being over-capacity as well, we have too many people down here already!"

"Then let's expand more! You know we can do it, and you also know just as well as I do that each of these people were hand-picked by Ryan himself to come and live in Rapture, they stand for everything we stand for and deserve to be down here as equals just as much as you and I!" shouted Henry.

Gil was speechless. The two men sat in silence for quite a while before Henry spoke. "Gil, I..I'm sorry for going off like that, its just that I'm...I'm tired that's it, I need some rest, mind if we finish this in the morning?" 

Gil cracked a small smile and stood up slowly. "Take the day off tomorrow Henry, you've been working hard, I'll call in Mcdonagh tomorrow and we'll do some tinkering with the radios, just get some rest and relax for a day. Everything will be better soon, you'll see." 

Henry nodded slowly. "Maybe you're right Gil, I think I will take tomorrow off. Clear my head, get back on track. Things always get worse before they get better right?" he chuckled.

Gil smiled and patted Henry on the shoulder. 'Rest well my friend, I'll contact you later, now get yourself some sleep!" With that said, Gil made his way down the steps of the apartment stairs and out the door, leaving Henry by himself in the light of the workshop.

Henry breathed deeply, sitting at the workshop table for several minutes. He slowly stood up. His body was tired and ached from the amount of physical labor he had endured over the years. His muscles had strengthened considerably and so had his mind. The mental strain of creation was an incredibly energy consuming task. He pressed the red button, hidden behind the painting of the lighthouse and collapsed into bed, without even bothering to put pajamas on. He fell asleep instantly.

"Still awake Elizabeth? You should really get some sleep, its very late." Margret whispered, not wanting to awaken Jenny from her sleep.

Elizabeth nodded slowly. It had been three years since she first came to Rapture. In those three years a lot had changed. The city had become bigger, more people came from the surface, people worthy to be residents of Rapture, Henry's name was mentioned many times in the newspaper she read after Margret had finished with it. He had created many new inventions, like the pneumo that brought the paper every day, vending machines which Jenny loved to get her cream-filled cakes from and the new security machines that kept the city safe from the crminals lurking around Rapture. Yet, this was little to the comparison of what Elizabeth believed to be the biggest change. The orphanage had become much quieter, ever since the children were open for adoption. Andrew Ryan had made a ruling that the orphanage was costing too much money and needed to cut back on the budget, it was either that or the children become open for adoption. The children had talked privately together and agreed that it was best for them and Margret if they were able to become adopted. Marie was the first to go. Followed by Gregory and Emma. Johnny left a year later and Scot and Shaun the year after. For a long time it had just been Elizabeth, Jenny and Jeremy. Two months ago Jeremy had turned eighteen and by Ryan's rule, all able-bodied citizens of Rapture that are eighteen or older must start working. He was sent off to work in Neptune's Bounty. Now it was just Jenny and her, the only two orphans left in Rapture. Elizabeth was sixteen now and had grown into quite a beautiful girl. Her straight hair was long and black, her body slim and proportioned almost perfectly. She brought her knees up to her chest and sighed deeply. Looking over at Jenny sleeping soundly, a small girl she with a small face with freckles on her cheeks and beautiful blond hair. She could speak in mostly comprehensible english with little trouble. She followed Elizabeth wherever she went, now that the others were gone, they only had each other. Elizabeth sat upright in the darkness, looking over to the large window, the colourful glow of Rapture's neon lights shone in a rainbow hue through the glass. Elizabeth lowered her head. She would be eighteen in two years, she would not accept being adopted, the thought of leaving the four year old all by herself made Elizabeth start to cry, tears slowly dripped down her smooth cheeks. 

"I will never leave you Jenny, I promise." she whispered. Elizabeth would find a way to stay for as long as she could, but she knew sooner or later that she would have to leave the orphanage, she didn't plan on leaving alone, she couldn't bear the thought. She slowly cried herself to sleep.

It was early in the morning when Henry decided to pay a visit to a few friends on his day off. He walked along the boulevard of Apollo Square, making his way through the crowds of people that hurried along to catch a bathysphere to their appointed destinations. Henry however was in no rush, he took his time and casually made his way to Timmins Diner. He visited the diner regularly, sometimes going in twice a day. Henry and Louis had become good friends and sometimes Henry would stay late and just talk. There were hundreds of people in Rapture, but out of everyone he knew, Henry found that the only person he could really trust was the large, dark-skinned cook.

The automatic doors slid open as Henry walked through the entrance. Louis turned and grinned his big, white-toothed smile. He recognized Henry immediately.

"Hank! You're earlier than the normal time, what's the occasion eh?" Louis said with a chuckle.

 "Didn't you hear in the paper this morning Lou? Its my day off today!" Henry joked.

Louis burst into laughter. "Crackin' jokes already? Well fine by me, in my opinion it's about time you got some time off, all you ever do is work your ass off all day!" 

"Damn right, I felt it was time I needed some solitude from the usual crazy schedule. I figure I'll go visit some old friends around Rapture, see what they're all up to." 

Louis nodded in agreement. "What a better way to spend the day then with friends eh? Sounds like you got a good day ahead of you."

Henry smiled. "And what better way to start my day off then to eat an entire stack of your Aunt Jemima's flapjacks hmm?"

Louis laughed. "You never come in here just to say hello do you Hank? Take a seat brother, I'll get em pipin' hot for ya!" With that Louis disappeared behind the door to prepare Henry's breakfast.

Henry looked looked around. The diner was doing much better than it was three years ago. A supposed critic had come into the diner and tasted Louis' food, next day in the paper Timmins Diner was ranked as number three in the top five best restaurants in Rapture. People would sometimes line up to get in, Louis worked endlessly, fulfilling the orders of every customer, it was extremely tiring work but Louis always wore a wide smile and seemed overjoyed at the popularity of his food. Henry was happy for him. "At least here's one man who's living the life of Rapture to the fullest." Henry thought to himself. He couldn't keep the thoughts of Ryan coming short of all of Henry's payments, even though Henry had done everything Ryan had ever asked of him. It just didn't sit well with him.

Louis came out with a plate piled high with the biggest pancakes Henry had ever seen. "Pipin' hot and freshly made for my good friend Hank!" Louis said cheerfully.

Henry smiled and picked up his knife and fork. He looked up at the grinning man. "Thanks Louis, this looks delicious."

Louis chuckled. "You think it looks good, wait till you take a bite, you ain't gonna stop until they're all gone, I can guarantee that!"

Henry looked at the tower of massive pancakes drenched in dark syrup. Mouth watering, he cut into a stack and shoved a huge piece of pancake into his mouth. It was light, fluffy, buttery and sweet. An amazing combination that made Henry want more. He devoured the entire stack in less than five minutes. When he was done he downed his glass of orange juice in four gulps.

Henry sighed, his hunger sated. "Louis, how do you do it. I've honestly never tasted anything so good in my life."

Louis smiled. "I'm afraid it's a family secret Hank, only a Timmins knows how to cook like this, an most of em are back topside in the swampy grave in our backyard."

Henry shook his head laughing. "Of course, how silly of me to ask. So, heard anything new out on the streets?"

Louis thought for moment while he cleaned several glasses. "Well, Ryan Industries is taking a big income from the revenue from your latest breakthroughs. Uh, let's see, there was a couple stealins' over near the Drop a couple nights ago. Oh and if you're looking to adopt, the Apollo Sanctuary is now into that business, heard most of the kids have families and homes now. Nice huh?" 

Henry had turned completely serious now. "You mean the orphanage just over on the other side of Apollo Square? The one with the orphans from the Odyssey?"

Louis nodded. "That would be the one and only, it's good to know that there are some decent folk who'll take in an orphaned child, everyone needs a family ya know?" 

Henry nodded slowly. "Uh Louis, I've got somewhere I need to be so I'll see you later, thanks for the breakfast." Henry placed a ten dollar note on the counter. 

Louis shook his head in amazement. "You always leavin' me these massive tips, I swear I could make a livin' just serving you!" 

Henry barely heard him, he was already out the door and heading towards Apollo Sanctuary at a quick pace. "I think it's time I had a little chat with the Matron of the orphanage." Henry thought. If what he heard from Louis was right, then that meant that Elizabeth may have been adopted, might have found a new family to be apart of. It was all Henry wanted to know. Somewhere in his mind, he hoped she was still at the orphanage. 

Margret was sitting in the kitchen of the Apollo Sanctuary reading the Rapture Times newspaper and smoking a nico-time cigarette when she heard a loud knocking at the door. She knew it was probably a candidate to adopt one of the two remaining orphans in Apollo Sanctuary. This was the day she had been fearing for quite some time. Elizabeth and Jenny were inseparable, she knew that when one left, they would both never be the same ever again. She took a deep breath and pressed the button to open the door. Margret was expecting a typical married couple, wealthy with fancy designer clothing and a preppy attitude. What she found was a lone man, in his late thirties or early forties, dressed in pre-casual wear, he was a little over six feet tall with neat, light brown hair, a well built frame and face, with broad shoulders and dark brown eyes, his nose was also slightly crooked. Margret stood in the doorway, a little surprised. "Can I help you?" she said to the man.

"Yes, I would like to know if Elizabeth Smith is still living here?" he said politely and slightly out of breath.

Margret was stunned that this stranger already knew who he exactly wanted to adopt, but why this man would want to adopt a sixteen year old girl she could not imagine. "Yes, Elizabeth is still living here, may I ask why you are here sir?" 

"Forgive me ma'am, I'm Henry Waker, I'm a friend of Elizabeth and would very much appreciate the chance to talk to her, with your permission of course."

Margret just took in surprise after surprise. "The Henry Walker who works with Ryan Industries? The same man who helped make Rapture!? The famous inventor of our city?"

The man smiled and nodded. "Yes ma'am, that would be me."

"Forgive me Mr. Walker, here, come in, come in, sit down and I'll go get Elizabeth." Margret motioned for Henry to go in and sit down on one of the chairs in the lobby room.

"Thank you very much ma'am, this means a lot to me."

"Margret Lencher dear, call me Margret." With that she made her way up the stairs to fetch the girls.

Henry sat down on the big, green leather bench. His left foot tapped nervously in anticipation. "Its been three years, I wonder if she still remembers me." he thought. "What if she doesn't want to talk to me? What if she doesn't even want to see me? Well, I guess there's no turning back now, I guess whatever happens, happens." Henry breathed slowly. He still remembered her straight, dark hair and her pale skin, her sassy attitude and most of all, her bright green eyes. "She would be sixteen now, or close to it anyways. I wonder how much she's changed. I'll find out soon enough." Henry's feet began to tap in rhythm, waiting eagerly in anticipation to talk to Elizabeth again.

 Elizabeth sat on her bed playing a card game with Jenny. "You have any eights?" Elizabeth asked the younger girl.

"Nuh-uh, go fish." Jenny said smiling.

Elizabeth sighed and reluctantly picked up another card. She looked at her two pairs in front of her then back to the twelve cards fanned out in her hand. Looking over at the smiling four year old who had five pairs of cards layed out before her, one could clearly see who was winning. This was their fifth game of "Go Fish" and Jenny had won them all. The small girl was about to claim her sixth pair when Margret walked into the room. The two girls turned to face her.

"Sorry to interupt your game girls but we have another visitor." she said.

Elizabeth's face turned pale and her heart beat faster. "This is it." she thought. "A family finally coming to take a look at Jenny." This was the day she had been dreading since the moment they were put up for adoption. They were going to be seperated. "No, I know Jenny, she wouldn't just leave me for some strangers." Elizabeth was confident she wouldn't, her and Jenny were like sisters, inseperable.

"Well, c'mon Jenny, let's go meet this new family." Elizabeth said casually.

"Actually, it's only one person, a man, and he says he knows you, Elizabeth." said Margret.

Jenny looked at Elizabeth with excitement. "Lizzie, you didn't tell me you had more friends!"

Elizabeth was confused. "There is only one person I know that would still remember me after all these years." Her eyes went wide at the thought. "Hank..." she whispered so quietly that neither Jenny or Margret could hear her. Elizabeth hopped of the bed and made her way down the stairs, hand in hand with Jenny, Margret followed close behind.

Henry was still sitting, his foot was now rapidly tapping the wooden floor. "C'mon Hank, pull yourself together, I know its been three years but you gotta snap out it, they'll be down any second."

Henry heard the sound of shoes clacking against the hard, wooden stairs. He turned to the staircases. His foot stopped tapping. He saw Margret on one side and a little girl in a pretty, pink casual dress on the other-side with blond hair who looked no older than four. Between the two was a beautiful adolescent girl, she had long black hair, smooth pale skin and bright green eyes. Henry could never forget those eyes. The eyes that stared right at him with recognition, and excitement. 

Elizabeth stared at the man who sat on the green leather bench. He had a few new wrinkles, stubble and tired eyes, but he still had that same smile and crooked nose. It was really him, Henry Walker. After three years he still remembered her. After three years she still remembered him.

"Hey Liz." Henry said quietly. 

"Hi Hank." Elizabeth replied.

"Is that your friend Lizzie?" Jenny asked.

"Yea Jenny, that's my friend, his name is Henry." Elizabeth said with a smile, never taking her eyes off the man sitting on the leather bench.

"Why don't you two sit down while I go get some tea and cookies from the kitchen?" Margret suggested eagerly.

"Can I have a chocolate cookie Ms. Lencher?" Jenny pleaded.

Margret chuckled. "Of course dear." She was about to ask if Henry and Elizabeth wanted anything in particular but she knew they didn't care about cookies or tea. She made her way to the kitchen, leaving Henry, Elizabeth and Jenny alone.

"So...how have you been?" Henry asked Elizabeth.

She smiled and shrugged. "Alright, better than I've been in a while. Rapture's been good to me, and I've made many friends, I'm happy." 

Henry smiled. He was glad to hear she was doing well but he couldn't help but notice there was something peculiar about the way she said it. It was like she was hiding something from him. He looked at her. Her eyes gave it away, he could see sadness in those bright green eyes. 

"So you Mister Hank?" Jenny said excitedly.

Henry turned to the smaller girl sitting beside Elizabeth. "I am indeed little miss, Henry Walker is my name but you can call me Hank. What's your name?"

"I'm Jenny Miles, oh boy Hank, Lizzie told me all sorts of stories about you!" the little girl smiled.

Henry looked to Elizabeth. Her face was turning a pinkish hue. He chuckled, "Is that so? What kind of stories has she been telling? I hope its good stories!"

Jenny giggled. "Yeah they are! Lizzie always showed me your picture in the paper. She said you a famous inventor, did you make all those flying robots? Can you make me one!?. Oh and did you make Rapture? 

Henry laughed. "One question at a time kiddo! Yes I did make the robots, In some way yes I did help build Rapture and I really don't think it would be the best decision to make you your own personal security robot." 

Jenny sighed. "Oh please, pwetty pwease Hank! Make me one, make me one!"

Margret walked into the room and put down a plate of cookies on the small coffee table. She turned to look at Jenny with a stern glare. "Jenny Anne Miles, that is no way to talk to a guest of our home, use your manners, and I completely agree with Mr. Walker that a robot is not what you need."

Jenny nodded and smiled. "You right Ms. Lencher, what I need is a Mommy and Daddy, a family, just like all the others!"

The room fell silent.

Margret cleared her throat. "Speaking of which, Mr. Walker is here for a reason." She turned to Henry. "Is there a particular reason why you are here?"

Henry nodded. "Elizabeth and I have known each other for a few years now, I know the loss of parents is never something easy to get over but I've come to a decision. With your permission and if she will accept me, I would like to adopt Elizabeth."

Marget's mouth opened and closed continuously. Elizabeth closed her eyes. Jenny frowned a little.

Margret finally found her tongue. "Mr..Mr. Walker, I know how much it would mean to you to adopt Elizabeth. But you see she is becoming of age soon and will start her career in Rapture. It wouldn't make much sense to take her in now only having her leave in a year."

Henry's brow furrowed slightly in confusion. "Ms. Lencher, the careers you speak of are working in fisheries and markets, what I mean is a life-long career that she'll enjoy, not something she's forced into doing."

Margret stuttered. "But..uh...you are sure about th-"

"I can't leave Jenny." Elizabeth cut in.

 Henry and Margret turned their heads. Elizabeth's face was stern. "When I first came to Rapture only to be put in an orphanage I thought it was going to be hell. When I met Jenny  I knew I wouldn't be alone. We've been together since the beginning, she's not just a friend, she's my sister, my little sister, and I won't leave her."

Jenny smiled and hugged Elizabeth.

Henry wasn't shocked. He knew Elizabeth better than to believe she would go with him without a catch. He chuckled. "Ah Liz, you haven't changed, your still the same girl I met on the Odyssey, still that same great girl. Well Ms. Lencher I guess there is really only one solution left, if neither of you will leave without the other, if you'll both have me; then I'll adopt you both!"

Margret's mouth dropped. Elizabeth's eyes went wide. Jenny cheered and clapped excitedly. "I have Hank, I have him as adopter!"

Henry nodded appreciatively, he looked at Elizabeth. She looked at him with a sincere look, thankful, surprised, happy. She smiled and nodded, "I accept Henry Walker as my new adoptive parent".

"So do I, so do I!!!" cheered Jenny. She ran towards Henry and hugged him.

Henry grinned widely and returned the hug.

"Well then; Henry if you would come with me for a moment, I'd like to speak in private."

Henry followed Margret to the kitchen. "So what did you want to tell me?"

Margret took a deep breath. "Henry, it's wonderful that you want to be the adoptive father of Elizabeth and Jenny but...there is a complication that I have to address."

Henry was confused. "What kind of complication?"

"Well it's just that all the other orphans were adopted seperately, with the exception of the twins, but you know already that there is a certain adoption fee, yes?"

"Yes I know about the fee Margret. What's your point?"

"Well you see, Jenny's fee is the regular two thousand like all the other children but Elizabeth's is a little more complicated. She's nearing the working age and soon enough she'll be making an income of her own, adopting at her age can be somewhat...costly."

Henry waved away any concern. "How much."

Margret paused. "Eight thousand in total."

Henry's eyes went wide. "You...you can't be serious!"

Margret shook her head. "I'm sorry Henry but Mr. Ryan has specifically ruled that adoption of a fifteen to seventeen year old will be charged for the surplus taxes of Rapture. I don't make the rules but that's how it is."

Henry stared at the floor. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. It disgusted him to hear Ryan put extra tax fees on adopting adolescence. He could do the simple math, it would cost him ten thousand dollars to adopt both the girls. "I don't have that kind of money." he said finally.

Margret stared at Henry. "If you don't have the sufficient funds, you can't adopt them, I'm sorry."

Henry looked up. "I understand Margret, may I talk with the girls before I go?"

Margret nodded.

Little were the two adults aware of the the pair of girls eavesdropping on their conversation. 

"Lizzie Hank doesn't have enought money to adopt us! What we gonna do?"

Elizabeth was shocked. 'Hank can't adopt us because we're too much money, I'm too much money...this is crazy.' she thought.

"I got a idea Lizzie, I'll smash piggy and give Hank my money!" 

Elizabeth turned to the smaller girl and smiled a little. "Good idea Jen but I think Hank is going to need more than fifty cents."

They heard footsteps coming back from the kitchen. The two girls quickly returned to their seats.

Henry and Margret walked in.

Henry went over and sat next to the Jenny and Elizabeth. "Hey, uh, I've got some bad news..I..uh"

"We heard everything." Elizabeth said.

Henry was a little surprised but shook his head and smiled. "I'll get the money and adopt both of you, I promise."

Jenny grinned. "It's okay Hank, we know you gonna get the money!"

Elizabeth nodded. "We'll just wait here, but don't take too long." 

Henry chuckled. "I'll be back before you know it. I'll see you later." He hugged the two girls and followed Margret to the exit.

"Well Ms. Lencher, it's been an interesting visit, expect to see me back here very soon, and keep an eye on those girls for me will ya?" Henry winked.

Margret laughed. "Oh they won't be going anywhere Mr. Walker...but if I may ask, are you sure about this? Ten thousand is a lot of money."

Henry's expression became serious. "Margret, I'd give up my spot in Olympus Heights and a thousand of my paychecks to be with those girls, I'm completely sure about their adoption."

Margret said nothing but nodded in approval.

Henry walked out of the orphanage and back towards his apartment. "Screw Ryan, I'll find another way to get the money, I won't let you down a second time Liz, things are going to change around here soon, I promise."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68 2 14
*Rapture Trilogy X Hellsing* *TRIGGER WARNING: THIS STORY MAY CONTAIN ELEMENTS READERS MIGHT FIND GROTESQUE, CRUDE, SEXUAL, OR UPSETTING IN GENERAL...
750 19 12
2077. While Earth is thriving in its new Space Age, the corporations keep Night City in a state of a degradation. A grim idol of the old world of unr...
Lost and Hunted By S

Science Fiction

771 122 45
It was just just an experiment......but it became a world catastrophe. Henry built an experiment to just look at earths core, but instead...
530 47 26
Dated 500 years in the future, the humans world has collapsed under the weight of climate change, causing Tsamis and droughts that have wiped out hug...