The Midnight Watch

By Aellix

Sav saw her brother die. When his murderers escape unpunished, she wants justice, and the only way to get it... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Epilogue

Chapter 27

2.3K 200 16
By Aellix

Something inside me snapped. The loose ends writhed free, slicing everything in their path. I had met the queen once, and still the shock numbed me. I could only imagine how Kai felt, to be told so abruptly. No doubt some part of him would refuse to believe it, and another part had dreaded this moment for years. Ever since she first got ill.

The Shadowcat regained his feet and brushed the dust from his clothing disdainfully. "There. I knelt. It cannot be said we didn't acknowledge your claim. Now if it pleases you, Kaeden, kindly leave my home and do not return until your royal backside has touched the throne. Otherwise, we can't support you. Goodbye."

"Wait," Nate said hurriedly, obviously realising Kai wasn't in the mood for political arguments right then. "We — Kaeden, I mean — has a suggestion which would benefit all of us."

Isaiah tipped his head to the side, a purely feline motion which awoke the fight-flight instincts inside me. "And I'd be more than happy to hear it once the terms are met. You of all people know how irksome it is to work around oaths, Nathan. And I swore one to serve the throne, not any Llewellyn princeling with a pulse."

"With all due respect, father, I have to remind you that you have sworn more than one oath."

By the way he froze, I suspected that was an argument in itself, even if I didn't understand its significance. Isaiah jaw was tight as he said, "Irrelevant. I speak for our race now, and we will answer only to the throne. How much clearer must I make this?"

I snuck a glance at Kai to see how he was taking this blatant dismissal. He was stood stiffly, hollow-eyed and numb. I didn't think he had even heard Isaiah's words, but he quickly proved me wrong about that.

"Oh, your position is clear. So I should clarify my own," Kai said matter-of-factly. "I have just been orphaned. I am in exile. I am isolated and being hunted by every shifter within ten miles. The only thing I do have is a claim to the throne. And at this point, I would do just about anything for allies. My generosity has no limits."

"I'm not sure I follow."

Kai continued as if he hadn't been interrupted, making the pause look like a chance to draw breath. "Wyatt Rochester, on the other hand, is comfortable. He has the Moon Guard on a leash and allies all around him, not to mention the regency. In short — no room for another lapdog. Is that what you want? Your people to be left out in the cold because his fireside is already crowded?"

Silence in the hall. I tried to smother a crazy grin. There — there it was. Kai was sweet and caring, but this was Kaeden, who had been raised to deal with men like Isaiah Silveryn. And he kinda terrified me, but in a good way.

"You make a good argument, Kaeden. But my people can make their own fires," Isaiah said after a time. He was looking increasingly open to the conversation by the second, which I supposed was a good sign.

"They can," he agreed. "That independence has always been an attribute of the Shadowcats. And it's exactly what I can give you, if you care enough to listen. Wouldn't it make a difference if you had free run of all the island, not just this corner? And maybe the freedom to govern yourselves?"

Nate's head whipped around to stare at Kai, his green eyes astonished. I surmised then that this offer had been long-awaited, or perhaps no one had ever thought to suggest it. The other shifters in the hall reacted similarly: shuffling and muttering amongst themselves. Isaiah took note with obvious annoyance.

"Very well." The Shadowcat flicked his tongue over serrated teeth. "We shall talk. What, exactly, do you propose?"

***

An hour later, we stood in a small chamber off the main hall. Isaiah had, very grudgingly, found us a meal. I had tried not to think about how long it had been since I ate while I wolfed down the food. Then we had retired to a more private place to talk.

Kai sat opposite the Shadowcat in an uncomfortable-looking chair. Alex, Becky, Ben and I flanked him on either side. Shoulders square, heads held high as we had been taught. Because we were all the guard he had for now, and we were in hostile territory. Nate leant against a wall, trying not to pick a side.

I knew how this would go. Kai would explain what he was willing to offer, Isaiah would make unreasonable demands, then they would haggle until they found a compromise which left them both unhappy. That was just how negotiation worked.

I was not disappointed when Isaiah Silveryn first deigned to open his mouth. "I want what you have already suggested. That, and a formal stake in the throne."

"I already have Shadowcat blood in me," Kai pointed out. "My grandfather was ... your uncle-in-law, I think?"

A slow nod. "He was Logan and Leah's grandfather, too. And the blood is strong in none of you, or you would have more ... gifts."

Like overhearing mind-links and turning off their scent. All Kai had been graced with was unusual strength and speed, although I hadn't realised it was possible to inherit more attributes of their species without being a full-powered Shadowcat. But obviously, there must have been some precedent.

"So you want me to marry one of your people," Kai guessed, but his gaze flicked to me, and I knew Isaiah hadn't missed it when his brow furrowed. Well, shit. Now I was in his way. It didn't feel like a safe place to be.

"Exactly."

The prince frowned as if it was just a mild inconvenience. "Don't you think that would be showing a bias towards the Shadowcats? If we want any hope of a lasting peace, I'll need to marry a Rochester."

I felt my stomach flip. Those weren't words I wanted to hear, no matter how true they were. Then I berated myself. When had I started caring? I'd always known I couldn't keep him for long.

"Believe it or not, I have already considered that." He snapped his fingers and Nate left the room with a scowl. "The girl in question has a Shadowcat father — myself — and a werewolf mother from the Rochester house. And she is, by pleasant coincidence, your age."

Coincidence, I thought wonderingly. No, it was far, far too good to be true. A seventeen-year-old girl with bloodlines to encompass the entirety of the island. Who could complain, when the prospective king and queen had a parent from each house? I very much doubted that this hadn't been conceived from the moment Kai's parents had been married.

Kai remained silent at this revelation. I wasn't sure if he had been hoping to wriggle his way out of a betrothal altogether, but some deep, selfish part of me hoped that had been the case. It took all of my willpower just to stay where I was, staring impassively ahead as if the conversation didn't matter to me.

"Would you like to meet her?"

A slight, stiff incline of his head. Such obvious reluctance, but I didn't think Isaiah cared. He simply stared at the doorway impatiently. It didn't take Nate long to reappear with a teenaged girl in tow. She was sandy-haired and green-eyed ... and undeniably beautiful. I tried not to dislike her on principle. I failed.

The girl stopped to stand just behind Isaiah's chair, still beside Nate. She looked Kai up and down with obvious admiration. My hands twitched towards my blade. I couldn't help it.

"Kaeden, this is my half-sister Natalia," Nate introduced. "Talia, meet his Highness. You can call him Kai."

No, she can't, I wanted to hiss.

Both of them nodded to each other. Both awkward. Because who wouldn't be, when faced with a future spouse not of their choosing? Natalia took a seat beside her father and leant back, sneaking glances at Kai every so often.

"You didn't tell me you had a sister," I mind-linked to no one in particular. Nate's shoulders made a tiny shrug in reply. Unnoticeable to anyone who wasn't watching out for it. I could have sworn he mouthed you didn't ask.

"There'll be plenty of time to get to know each other later," Isaiah was saying enthusiastically. "Let's finish this. The last condition is the regency. I will rule until you come of age."

Not even a hesitation. "No."

"No?" he asked incredulously. "No? There are a hundred Shadowcats to be gained here. One word from me and you could be king. And you say no?"

Kai shrugged. "Because there isn't a single werewolf on this island who would accept that agreement. And by our laws, the regent must be a blood relative of the heir. You are not."

And I don't trust you was the part he didn't need to add. I could feel that distrust radiating from the link in sickening waves. Enough to affect my own feelings about the man.

"You don't have any blood relatives left," he spat.

Nate had explained, in part, his plan to win over the Shadowcats. Well ... actually, he had just told Kai to let him talk once the regency was mentioned. As if it were an inevitability that could not be avoided. Maybe he had known all along that Isaiah wouldn't be content with anything less than ruling personally.

Now he stepped forwards and cleared his throat. "That's not entirely true."

"Oh?" the Shadowcat scoffed. "Leah and Logan aren't old enough to serve. His father's parents have passed and he had no siblings. There isn't a suitable candidate on this island. So whom, exactly, do you propose?"

A smile flitted across Nate's lips. I suspected he was treasuring this moment as he said matter-of-factly, "Rhodric Llewellyn."

For the first time, I thought I saw genuine surprise from Isaiah. He tried to say something, only to choke on the words and simply stare at his son instead.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but he is Kai's uncle by blood. He has proved himself a leader and was well-liked by both races here," Nate continued slyly. "I really don't see why you would object."

I did, though. I didn't like the idea of another player, and one I knew nothing about, arriving to rule the island until Kai turned eighteen. I wasn't sure why Nate would be willing to trust someone he had never met with that sort of power. Besides, hadn't he been presumed dead?

Isaiah scoffed then. "I don't, of course. Rhodric will always be welcome here. But he hasn't been heard from in years, and the rumours we hear are ... disturbing, to say the least. And even if he is alive, which seems highly unlikely, would he agree? He has made it very clear that he wants nothing to do with this island."

"My mother believed he would help us." Kai shrugged. "It's worth a try. There is one way to reach him that we haven't tried yet. Help me get to the mainland. That's all I'm asking. If my uncle doesn't appear, the regency is yours."

I could see the cogs turning in Isaiah's head. He shared a meaningful glance with his daughter, and she seemed to like the odds. She nodded. But I sighed, knowing we were caught between the frying pan and the fire. Either Rhodric Llewellyn would show his face or we would be stuck with Isaiah Silveryn's leadership. Fricking great.

The Shadowcat nodded. "Very well. I will help you on those terms. But there is still one issue we have not addressed. Our oath. Shadowcats are sworn to the throne and we cannot, under any circumstances, work around that."

"Does it specify which throne?" I piped up, surprising even myself, and immediately regretted it. Kai looked at me uncertainly, Nate narrowed his eyes, Natalia frowned and Isaiah seemed affronted that a lowly guard would dare to speak in their company.

I practically cowered away. Yet they forgot about me all over again when they considered the significance of my words.

Then, for the first time, a slow smile spread across Isaiah Silveryn's face.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16K 1.1K 33
When three siblings move to back to America, they thought life would be great. Hammington was a town known for it's supernatural inclusive environmen...
219K 11.8K 51
A genetically unique but emotionally lost teenager must figure out who she is within her mixed-up, warring world of Shifters and Wolfstalkers. ...
43.3K 2.2K 17
This was the day that changed my life forever, also the day I lost my love, my mate... My name is Alex Grey, I am a Prince but the soon to be King of...
223K 7.3K 31
Paige Carter has been hunted, captured, and thrown in jail more times than she could remember. After being sentenced to death for being a Rouge, qui...