Falling Embers (Abandoned)

Kyuketsuki tarafından

When a social outcast finds acceptance in a group of highschool seniors she is confronted with the ghosts fro... Daha Fazla

Intro
Chapter One: Falling
Chapter Two: The Gathering
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Fifteen

15 1 0
Kyuketsuki tarafından

“So I take it you forgive us?” He laughed.

“Of course I do! I refuse to live another day without the Wolves at my back.” She twittered happily, feeling as if a huge weight had been taken off of her shoulder.

“Wait, you understood all of that?” Spencer asked in disbelief.

“Yes, it was only German, Spanish, Italian and Japanese. It’s not as if they were speaking Elfish or anything.” She grinned.

“Are you kidding? That sounded like a chaotic chanting when we’re all talking in gibberish at once.” He stated.

“Alright, I have to ask; why are they all so obsessed with your pies?” Preston cut in before she could respond to Spencer.

“She makes the most amazing pie.” Ryuu answered exuberantly.

“The best!” Shyam agreed.

“And her spaghetti is pretty kickass too.” Ter smirked.

“Why didn’t you tell us you could cook?” Preston scolded her playfully.

“Yah, dude, I forgot to mention she made me, like, the most amazing omelet this morning.” Justin grinned.

“Man, why didn’t you tell us your girl rocks the kitchen?” Tylor piped up.

“Hey, why don’t you guys come with us back to the hideout? She’s gunna make us pie and spaghetti to make up for not talking to us.” Ter suggested.

“Yes, you are all most welcome to join us.” Luke sanctioned.

“Yah, that sounds great!” Preston beamed, looking at Spencer for permission.

“Sure, why not.” He shrugged and Preston pumped his fist in the air victoriously.

“What about Anna?” Tim voiced worriedly as they all made for where Ter had parked his Ferrari.

“What about me?” Came a chipper voice behind them and they all turned to see Anna standing there.

“When did you get here?” Tim cried happily, rushing to hug her.

“Ten seconds ago.” She informed him, hugging him back.

“Can she come?” Tim asked Ter, wrapping his arm around Anna’s waist when she pulled back.

“Yah, sure, why not?”  Ter sighed.

“Where are we going?” Anna asked.

“My apologies, guys this is a friend of mine from work, Anna. Anna, these are the people I have been texting all day. The big ugly one is Terrik, the one with the white hair is Aranon, that is Channing, Ryuu, Alex, his twin brother Joey, Shyam, Daily, Luke and Tina. We’re heading back to our old hangout so I can apparently make everyone dinner.” Cass smiled.

“Cool, I’m in.” Anna said easily.

“Damn you’ve got a nice car.” Spencer marveled, catching sight of Terrik’s cherry red, fully tripped out Ferrari.

“Thanks.” Ter smirked, patting the hood affectionately.  “So who’re you riding with, Short-stack? I came with Tina and the twins, Ran brought the Forester. There is an empty seat if you want it. I assume your coven has their own car, because if they don’t you’re all walking.”

“Nah, we have a car.” Spencer waved him off. “Just let me pull it around so we can follow you.”

“So who’re you riding with?” Ter turned back to Cassandra as Spencer headed back towards the school to get his car and she felt torn. She would love to catch up with the rest of the gang on the ride back to the hideout, but she also wanted to stay with Justin and to ascertain whether or not the coven was angry with her because she had failed to tell them she was in a gang. I would love to ride with you Ter-bear, I really wish I could but right now I must smooth things over with the coven. Spencer is not as fine with this as he is pretending to be. Can I ride with them just this once?

Go right ahead. We’ll catch up some other time.

Thank you.

“I think I shall ride with the coven. If we lose you at a light, I can direct them.” She smiled.

“Great, we’ll meet you there. Tina and I are going to stop at the store and pick up some more stuff. We only have enough for thirteen, and you owe Ran a pie all to himself so we need to get a few things. Have your little friends follow Ran.” Ter kissed her hair as Tina Alex and Joey climbed into the Ferrari. Ter was just peeling out as Spencer drove up in the Toyota and Cass giggled at the look of sheer envy on his face.

“I would say last one back is a rotten onguri, but that’s not fair seeing as how they don’t know where it is.” Ran sighed. “Alright, everybody in.” He called to the remaining Shadow Wolves, unlocking his dark blue Forester with the click of a button. Cass watched as Channing claimed the front seat, leaving Daily, Shyam, Ryuu and Luke to clamor into the back.

“Are you coming, my dove?” Justin asked quietly, tugging her gently in the direction of the Toyota.

“Yes, of course, forgive me.” She shook her head to clear it, letting him lead her to where Spencer had the car idling. The rest of the guys had already climbed in and Anna was settling herself on Tim’s lap as Justin procured the passenger’s seat. Cass perched herself on his lap, reaching to fasten their seatbelt across the both of them.

“I advise all of you to wear your seatbelts; it’s going to be a long drive.” She announced.

“Where is the hideout? Some top secret location?” Ty asked excitedly as Spencer pulled behind Ran.

“No, it is nothing of the sort. It is merely Ran’s second house dedicated to the Shadow Wolves. Of course, Tina and Terrik have their own wing at Ran’s other mansion while he and Chan share the other, Ryuu has his own rather large house which he shares with his girlfriend and Luke took Shyam, Daily and the twins into his home. Shyam is an orphan and the twin’s mother died when they were young, leaving them to their abusive drunk father who landed himself in jail a couple years ago. Daily is emancipated and was looking for a place to live so he let her have the basement. He has a vast home as well, so it is not too much of a burden.” She relayed the lies that she had been told for years as Luke opened a mental connection with her and began telling her his past. He was nearly as old as Terrik and Aranon, only a couple decades younger, and had once been in line for the Spanish throne. He had been murdered by an angry mob of drunken commoners one night when Terrik had seen him and rushed to his aid. He was too late and his only options were to either turn him or leave him to die a disgraceful death. Upon opening his eyes and learning what he had become Luke had decided to stage his own death once more, choosing a more honorable way to leave his family to mourn him and took off with Terrik to Japan where they met up with Ran. Ter and Ran had met eight years previously and Ter had been having some alone time in Spain.

“So why didn’t you tell us you were in a gang?” Spencer asked calmly. Cass had to focus, listening to Luke while she answered.

“I tried yesterday, but ran out of time. I was planning on telling you sometime soon and- oh! That’s horrible!” she exclaimed without thinking. Luke had just informed her that he had been married to a woman named Renee and witch hunters had murdered her in front of him and their two year old son. She was a vampire so there was no hope for bringing her back; they had pierced her heart with a pure gold steak which is the only way to kill a vampire. “That is to say, that was horrible of me and I beg your forgiveness for not telling you sooner.” She added quickly.

Nice cover. Luke laughed inside her head before continuing his history.

“Wait, you’re in a gang too?” Anna probed.

“Oh, I would not necessarily call the Shadow Wolves a gang so much as a family that looks out for one another. The only gang-like activity we do is getting a territorial tattoo upon initiation. All gangs have a uniform mark, but the Shadow Wolves all have a tattoo of their own choosing so long as it donates membership. For example mine was designed by Joey because he knew I was not one for cheap looking tats, so he made a beautiful piece of art that I would appreciate. Terrik has something similar on his left shoulder blade, but it is much smaller. Luke and Ran merely have intricately woven initials SW on their hips. Other than that we are nothing more than a group of friends who love one another deeply.” She professed, sending her sympathies to Luke mentally and his history came to an end. He had had a truly troubling life, and she felt for him.

“What’s the rule the girl with the violet eyes was talking about?” Tim wondered.

“Channing? Oh, it’s simple really; loyalty. If you remain loyal to the Wolves, they will remain loyal to you.”

“That’s a good rule.” Spencer nodded appreciatively.

“Wow, first I find out you’re in a coven, now a gang! Any more surprises that I should know about? Like, you’re part of a Satanic underground ring?” Anna said, slightly hurt and a little bit angry. Silence filled the car and Cass took the opportunity to talk with Luke.

“Baby, don’t be mad, please, but our coven is a Wiccan coven.” Tim said apprehensively.

“You’re what?” Anna shrieked in shock and Spencer sighed as Tim tried to calm her down, explaining about their beliefs and their practices. Cass let Tim’s voice fade into the background as she turned her attentions to her conversation with Luke.

After what happened at the cliff…why did you leave?

I am not sure. After I brought you back, I stayed for a while. I wanted to see your eyes open but when I felt you stir in my arms I lost my nerve and set you down before racing back home. I holed myself up in my study, agonizing over what I had done. I had denied you peace in the afterlife by bringing you back, but I couldn’t stand there and watch you die. Not again.

Again?

Cassandra, please, you must understand you are the first woman I have ever fallen for after Renee. The only reason…the first day I caught sight of you and our eyes met, I saw Renee. You are so much like her, I would swear on my life you are her reincarnation if I believed in such things.

Oh Luke. She cried, sympathy guilt and flattery whirled around in her head and she could tell Luke could feel it as well because he sent her nothing but love back.

“Red, hello, earth to Red!” Spencer called her back to herself.

“Sorry, daydreaming. What is it you wanted?” she flushed.

“I was just asking what else you made. Pie, spaghetti and omelets are a given, but what else? I had no idea you could cook.” He said in effort to keep normal conversation flowing now that Anna had been appeased.

“I can make anything given the right ingredients and a rough sketch of some kind of recipe to follow. That’s why I’m so good at my job.” She shrugged. “According to the Wolves I make exceptionally great spaghetti.”

“What kind of name is ‘Shadow Wolves’ anyways?” Ty spoke up.

“Terrik and Aranon came up with it so I suggest you ask them. I find it rather befitting.”

“What’s with the different styles? I mean that red haired kid looked like he stepped out of a perfect picture and his girlfriend looked like a cheerleader, but Terrik was dressed like a total Goth and the white haired dude looked like he just got home from work or something. Why does he dye his hair like that? It’s cool, but kinda weird.” He continued.

“Yah, and what’s with the super tall Mexican?” Spencer asked.

“He’s not Mexican, he is a Spaniard.” Cass laughed at Luke’s reaction to Spencer.

“What’s the difference?” Preston inquired.

Mexicans are short brainless prigs while Spaniards are sophisticated and good looking. Luke said before bidding her adieu and withdrawing from her mind. Cass stifled a laugh.

“Well, most obviously Mexicans are from Mexico while Spaniards are from Spain. If you ask Luke, however, he will tell you the difference is that Spaniards have brains and good looks whereas Mexicans don’t” She edited slightly. “And Daily isn’t a cheerleader, but Channing was when we were in high school. Terrik enjoys dressing eccentrically as do Tina and Joey. Alex and Daily are actually part of the popular crowd at school, so they dress accordingly.  Next I think you inquired about Aranon. He is the history teacher at MCA and so he, as you would expect, dresses nicer than the rest of the gang. His hair is in fact naturally that color down to the black streak. It is hard to imagine, but it is true nonetheless. Not once in all fifteen years I have known him has he ever dyed his hair nor has it changed in color. It is strange, but it also suits his personality well.”

“So what about Ryuu, his hair is dyed, right?” Tim added.

“I cannot honestly say, I’ve known him for ten years and have never seen tell-tale roots or empty hair dye bottles in his bathroom. I would venture that it is his natural color however I even find that hard to believe and my hair is no more normal a color than his.” She hedged. The rest of the car burst into a playful debate about Ryuu’s hair and she laughed.

You bet your ass my hair is all natural! Ry shrieked in her mind, causing her to jump slightly.

How can that be? She asked him.

I’m not undead. You, of course, know Japanese folklore better than anyone. There is one story in particular that is true. He simpered.

What do you mean? She questioned.

You remember the story of how the great dragon was created?

Of course, he was forged by the sea and the sun so that they could have a messenger between them. That is where water and fire dragons come from, they are his ancient descendants. She replied dismissively. Dragon’s weren’t real.

I am he. Ryuu radiated pride and shock ripped through her.

No, that is impossible.

Do you want me to prove it to you? He laughed.

How would you prove such a thing? She wondered.

Once we can get somewhere alone, I will show you my true form. My bones are hallow so that I can transform at will.

This is incredible! Are there any others I should know about that are more than undead? She half-joked.

Yourself, all of them. Luke, Channing, Joey, Alex, you’re all vampires. You, Luke and the twins are changelings who don’t need blood as much; you are proof that you can survive years without so much as a drop. He replied nonchalantly.

That’s not true.

What do you mean?

One day, at school, we were in a dissection and my partner had cut herself. The professor had told her that it was her fault and that he was not responsible, we weren’t in high school anymore and so I took her to the bathroom to help her clean up. While we were there, I did not know what came over me and I began sucking her blood clean. Before I knew it I had drank more than a pint and she passed out in my arms. I quickly stitched up her wound and brought her back to her dorm room, leaving a note that she had fainted at the sight of the needle I had used. I swiftly pushed that incident from my mind and moved on with my life. A year later, this past year in fact, I was lured into a dark alley way by the smell of blood. The rest of the evening is a blank, but I woke up in my bathtub soaking in bloody water. After a quick self-check I realized that the blood wasn’t mine and I panicked, thinking I had killed someone. When I went back to the alley way however, the man was gone and only a few drops of blood remained to prove that I had not dreamt the entire thing. I wrote it off as some strange dream the next morning nonetheless. What am I, some kind of monster? She admitted after so many years of keeping quiet.

Are you sure you didn’t kill either of your victims? He double-checked.

Yes, I am positive.

Well then congratulations, you are the first vampire in living memory that has not completely destroyed their first drink. It gets harder as you go, Luke needs blood every two weeks or he goes into convulsions. You seem to only need it every one year or so. He noted, shock and amusement flowing into her.

You said Luke Chan Joey and Alex, what about Ran Ter Tina Daily and Shy? She inquired.

Ran is a vampire too, but he is a special case and it’s not my place to tell you all the details. I suggest you ask him. Ter is the same situation except that he is a werewolf. Tina, Daily, and Shyam are all werewolves as well. Kat is a werewolf. He confessed half embarrassed at finally coming clean, half glad to get things out in the open

A dragon dating a werewolf? What has this world come to? Wait, Luke has been a vampire all this time?

Yes.

So I was dating a vampire for over four years and hadn’t the faintest idea? Why did no one bother to tell me? Do you not think that he should have come clean after I gave him my virginity? I am not entirely sure I wish to be friends with people who purposefully keep me in the dark! She despaired.

We wanted to tell you, we really did, but it is forbidden to tell a human. Jessie still has no clue and she and Joey have been together for nearly five years now. Terrik tried telling you without breaking the law but you never grasped exactly what he was saying. You seemed to get the gist of it, however, so we didn’t let ourselves worry too much because you were half-in on it.  He explained pleadingly, willing her to understand and to not hold this against them.

Are you done telling her all our secrets? Ter broke in roughly.

I didn’t tell her anything you don’t want her to know. Ry promised.

What don’t you want me to know? Dammit you have been lying to me my whole life! Would it hurt to let me in just this once? Cass cried in frustration. She did not receive an answer because at that moment Ter withdrew from her mind and Ryuu followed, sending her a quick apology before the connection severed.

“Dammit!” she shouted her anger, causing Justin to jump and Spencer to swerve at the unexpected noise.

“What’s wrong?” Justin gasped, catching his breath.

“Don’t scare me like that Cass! You made me almost wreck the car!” Spencer hissed.

“I am terribly sorry; I did not mean to startle you. I just got a shooting pain up my spine and it was unbearably painful. I promise I will not shout out like that again, my sincere apologies.” She improvised irritably, cursing Terrik as well as her own imprudence silently in her mind.

“Does it still hurt?” Justin asked, concerned.

“No, no I am fine. It was just the way Terrik had picked me up, it set my spine strangely and it just popped itself back into place.” She lied smoothly; glad she could at least blame it on Terrik.

“Are you sure?” He pressed, rubbing her back gently.

“Yes, thank you. Spencer you will want to turn left up here. It seems you’ve lost Ran.” She said, making her voice kinder.

“Oh, yah we lost him a ways back. Thanks.” Spence muttered, turning on his flicker.

“Okay, so from what I’ve been hearing this isn’t some big scary gang and  you’re even leery of calling it a gang but rather a family, so I have to ask, why the weird name? I mean, if you’re not a gang then why bother naming yourselves?” Anna interrogated.

“Territorial disputes had been a problem at one time so Terrik told me about the wolves and Aranon devised the idea of the tattoo.” She shrugged, hoping to avoid farther inquiry.

“What kind of territorial disputes?” Anna asked interestedly.

“Oh, you know this and that.” Cass replied evasively.

“No, I don’t know.” Anna blinked.

“Yah, what kind of territorial disputes were they?” Preston chimed.

“It’s nothing really, just some other gang was trying to claim some of the Wolves as members of theirs when the Wolves in question wanted nothing to do with them.” She parried hopefully.

“Which members?” Justin asked.

“Oh, well, Daily and Shyam.” She gulped nervously.

“Who else?” he compelled.

“What makes you think there were more?”

“Because I can tell you’re hiding something.” He held her gaze sternly for about a minute before she caved.

“Alright, I was one of the ones as well. James Anders is the founder of the Bleeding Hearts which is a violent gang. One day at school he had allured both Daily and I into becoming his followers when we were twelve with pretty words and false promises. He treated us kindly enough at first, but a couple months later he had kidnapped a seven year old to be his personal slave. The seven year old was Shyam and he was scared and alone. I took care of him behind James’s back and Shyam and I grew to be close friends. The following year my mom transferred me to MCA where I ran into Alex, Joey, Terrik and Ran again and they introduced me to the rest of the Wolves. Not even two months into the school year I had to miss two consecutive weeks because I could no longer walk due to the multiple injuries James had dealt me for stopping him from beating Shy. Terrik had declared that the three of us had to leave the Bleeding Hearts. I agreed so long as Shy and Day were with me and so Ter told us about the Shadow Wolves and told us all we needed to do in order to gain their protection was get a tattoo declaring that we belonged to him. That is when Joey designed my tattoo and I smuggled Daily and Shyam out of the Bleeding Heart hideout. After that it became a gruesome territorial dispute and Ter won.” She shuddered as the memories of her haunted past resurfaced.

“Holy shit.” Justin swore under his breath.

“What else don’t we know about you, Cass?” Spencer snarled softly.

“That is all, I swear it.” She shrank in on herself, loathing that she had to lie to convince him to trust her.

“And when were you planning on telling us about the Bleeding Hearts? After or before you told us about the Shadow Wolves?”

“Never. I wish to do nothing more than forget them. I knew nothing but torture and cruelty at their hands. I had to be rushed to the hospital seven times in the year I was with them. Please just let me forget, as I had done until this moment.” She whispered pleadingly.

“You’ve had a terrible life, and yet you are still such an exuberant person. My dove, you are amazing.” Justin muttered in her ear.

“And what if this James came looking for you? Would you have told us then?”

“He wouldn’t come for me. Terrik made sure of that.”

“What if we ran into him, huh?”

“Leave her alone, Spencer. Can’t you see she’s traumatized by her past? Just let her forget it, alright?” Justin snapped in her defense.

“If she brings this violent gang to our door, she’ll pay.” Spencer settled into a huffy silence.

“Thank you.” She kissed Justin quickly in thanks, snuggling into him.

“There certainly is a lot more to you than meets the eye.” Anna said disconcertedly.

“Yes, I apologize for keeping all of this from each of you.” Cass sighed. “Turn right at the next side road.”

“Nah, we all have our secrets. None of us have told you everything yet so I don’t know why Spence is making such a big deal out of your silence.” Preston grinned, winking at her.

“Thank you, Preston.” She smiled gratefully at him.

“That’s P-ditty to you.” He laughed.

“That’s right, I’m sorry, P-ditty.” She chortled.

“Hey, so quick question; why was the Spaniard calling you his love?” Spencer broke in, calmed down enough to be curious.

“Oh, he was just foolish enough to think that my rejoining with the gang meant we were getting back together. He at long last apprehended that I was the best thing to ever happen to him. We have agreed to remain friends.” She responded, hoping Luke had not heard that. She had been harsher than called for in Justin’s sake and she did not wish to hurt him.

“Oh, yah I was wondering why he was treating you like you were his girlfriend.” Spence shrugged.

“I straightened him out.” Justin nodded and Cass giggled.

“I would have liked to have seen that.”  Tylor smirked.

“Yah, what is he, a foot taller than you?” Tim cackled.

“Hey! I’m five foot nine, that’s a respectable height!” Justin cried.

“Luke is only six foot one.” Cass informed them.

“How tall is that Terrik dude?” Preston called out.

“Six foot seven and a half, and Ran is six foot four.” She foresaw the question in Tim’s aura so she saved him the breath.

“Wow.” Preston gasped.

“Dude,” Tim agreed.

“Are they on steroids or something?” Ty asked. Cassandra burst out laughing.

“No, they’re just tall.” She coughed through her laughter. “You are going to want to turn right here, Sus-Spence.” He obeyed her wordlessly and she studied his aura. He was worried about leading the coven into a gang hideout, that much was obvious, but he was also upset about something. It took less time than usual to access his thoughts and she felt a strange surge of pleasure that she seemed to be getting better at it. He didn’t like the closeness she and Justin had been displaying even since their date, he felt like he was losing what little ground he may have had with her and learning of Luke’s part in the rivalry only made him worry all the more. She sighed. When was he going to get over her already?  Jokes about one another’s height filled the car as she fretted over Spencer’s continued infatuation with her.

“That’s it right there on the left, go ahead and pull into the drive.” She directed. At her words the car fell silent as everybody turned to catch a glimpse at the hideout.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

280K 5.9K 33
WATTPAD BOOKS EDITION You do magic once, and it sticks to you like glitter glue... When Johnny and his best friend, Alison, pass their summer holid...