The Tudor Witch Book 1 Mistre...

By sherby16

1523. King Henry VIII is in desperate need of a male heir. Mistress Katherine Champernowne, a young maiden of... More

1520 Balinghem, France (Edited)
1523 Calais (Edited)
1523 Dover (Edited)
1523 Journey (Edited)
1523 Folkestone (Edited)
1523 Godinton House (Edited)
1523 Kent (Edited)
1523 Whitehall Palace (Edited)
1523 Whitehall Palace II (Edited)
1523 Eltham Palace (Edited)
1523 Eltham Palace II (Edited)
1523 New Years Eve (Edited)
1524 New year (Edited)
1524 Spring (Edited)
1524 Spring II (Edited)
1524 Spring III (Edited)
1524 May (Edited)
1524 Greenwich Palace (Edited)
1524 Summer (QE)
1524 Summer II (QE)
1524 Summer III (QE)
1524 Autumn (New insert)
1524 Late Autumn (QE)
1524 Late Autumn II (QE)
1524 Winter (QE)
1524 winter III (QE)
1525 Winter (QE)
1525 winter II (QE)
Wedding II (QE)
1525 Early Spring (QE)
1525 June (QE)
1525 June II (QE)
Readers help!
1525 Summer
1525 Summer
1525 Summer part II
1525 Autumn
1525 autumn II
1525 autumn III
1525 autumn IIII
1525 Sahaim
1525 Winter

1524 Winter II (QE)

2.2K 80 4
By sherby16

I am presented with gifts, by family and friends, and in turn return them. I am surprised by the amount of coloured fabric and clusters of gems I have received from those whose names I hardly know, but are wishing my favour.

I feel spoilt, but is nothing compared to that of the King. Henry is the centre of attention, he always is, but those who do not hold permeant residence have joined us at this festive time. More faces, families, and old friends for him to enjoy. His presence is split between us all and he lick's up the attention like a cat with cream.

He has a youthful exuberance which he is using on drink, gambling, and male companionship. I look upon the Queens ladies, some of them are no longer bitter towards me, in fact, most are being over friendly. They are either to use to my status or have realised that the King is the gift giver not their pious Queen. Their attention makes me cringe, for I know it, for what it really is, a courtly game and need for advancement.

I wish Anne was here she could always keep me out of arms reach, leading me in etiquette and conversation. As soon as the banquet is finished I make polite excuses and stroll over to Philip, interrupting his comical stance.

"Brother, I need your companionship." I state.

"O, Sister. My companionship?" He feigns looking around him. "You can have anyone's here." He laughs.

I pout at him. "I want yours," I say pleadingly.

"Are the Queens ladies not entertaining you enough?" He quips.

I grimace and lead him away from his onlookers. "Their tiresome and needy," I say quietly.

He just grins at me. "Surly not all of them, where is Mistress Boleyn? You two are attached at the hip."

"Sick. She got lucky." I joke.

We walk around the room conversing in small talk, taking in the grandeur of a court in spirit.

"Have you heard of my betrothal?" I finally ask.

"Of course, who do you think he discussed the matter with?" He states.

I blanch at his statement. "You discussed these matters with the King?" I ask shocked.

"You are my sister and he is my companion. He needed a bridge between him and our father to arrange it all. Once he knew you were not committed to anyone else in France, he had me write to him and seek approval." He states coolly.

"What was father's reaction?" I ask.

"Shrewd as always. He is ambitious enough to see the benefit in the match, and without a dowry to pay he cannot object. Mother might skin your hide though when she finds out. You will be an English lady and probably will not return to France." He says.

I ponder on his words. Mother had never been the sentimental sort when it came to her children. It would not upset her greatly if I did not return to France, as long as I achieved what she wanted from me in the meantime.

"What is your view on the matter?" I ask.

He swings me around to face him. "I know the true meaning behind this match, Kat. You have gained the highest position a lady can aspire too at this court. If you are happy, then so am I." He says seriously.

I embrace my brother fondly. "I am happy. At first, I was not too sure on the affection he had for me, but now I know, and I have fallen for him too." I say close to his ear.

"Do not fall to hard, Kat. He has a habit of moving on. I do not want to see you heart broken. You must go into this with the full knowledge that at some point his eyes will turn on to another." He says.

I gaze up at him, his tall frame at least a foot taller than mine. For a brother who is so care-free, he has all of a sudden become a wise owl. "I know... but for now I hope he stays looking my way," I reply softly.

"Enjoy the glory of it all sister, and you never know you could be making me into an uncle very soon." He grins letting his true personality slip back into place.

"It could happen and I would like to see it so." I smile.

He grabs my hand and takes me over to dance, as he did almost a year ago now. That time he had placed me in the Kings view and now he does the same again, knowing how his friend likes to admire from his dais.

"Dance all night, Kat. For once you have a swollen stomach you will have a right boring time of it all." He jokes.

*************************************

Anne joins us after a few more days of bed rest. Her pallor is almost too white, making her dark eyes appear stark in contrast. She looks exhausted, not her usual alert-self.

She takes my arm and leads me out amongst the frost-covered gardens. The sun is high and bright, bouncing of the grass making everything appear to sparkle. It is beautiful but there is no heat in it. We huddle together trying to share our warmth within our thick furs, but it is in vain, the crisp cold seeps into us both, making us numb.

Anne is hardly out of bed and she is subjecting us both to the elements of winter. I will catch a cold or worse, I am certain.

"Was that the price?" I whisper, only my fogged breath betrays my words.

"No. I do not think so. My energy just vanished." She replies.

I am taken back to my journey here, one small act of movement had drained me completely. Who knew what Anne had been doing, in order to save herself from a dreary fate?

"I understand. It does not take much, did it work? I ask.

She shrugs her shoulders the movement looking comical in her thick coat of furs. "I can only hope. Nothing has been mentioned since but it is a time for celebrations and little work. Do you remember the tincture I gave you before?" She asks changing the subject quickly.

"Yes." I admit in shame, wondering where she is going with this line of conversation.

"They make them for the opposite nature, for those who wish to quicken." She says smoothly.

The idea appeals to me, my side to please the King. I would love nothing more than to bring forth a son for Henry and complete my mother's ambition at the same time. Yet, my gut says no. Who knew what those women truly brewed, and although I was happy to risk it before, I was not willing now, not for something which could be achieved naturally with the God's blessings.

"I am fine, unless you have read something that can help in this matter?" I ask, more out of curiosity.

"Kat, do you never listen to me?" she levels coolly.

"There is always a price? Yet, you dabble!" I laugh.

"I do not dabble! I read and learn. You want something that creates life, I am almost certain the price for that one: It is in every book going." She says seriously.

"Alright, alright! I take your meaning, I want to try naturally anyway. You should read something useful, I feel like it is more a curse than a gift. A constant death sentence hanging over our heads and for what? The ability to pay a hefty price for something were not even certain will come to fruition." I say bluntly.

"Those who are in need or desperate will always pay the price requested." She replies in a reciting tone.

Something about her words strikes me. It is a feeling I cannot explain other than the feeling of de Ju Vu. I shiver at the thought. "Let us go inside, Anne."

************************************************

Right my lovelies :) Three mini-chapters all in one, feeling quite proud :P haha 

I just realized that I have written twenty-something part chapters and have only just managed to get to the end of 1524! and I feel like a lot can still happen in the last week of the year! And all us Tudor fans know there is so much more to come.

I have decided to make this into a three book series as I want to take this all the way and this is only the begining for Kat! I will try to update more often as for some reason I have become bursting with ideas! just have to link them up and write them :P

Thank you for the reads! If you have got this far - Thank you the support is much loved! xx 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

To Catch A King By Issy

Historical Fiction

15.3K 592 36
'...The first thing I notice about him is his weight. The rumours are true: he is spoilt and fat, so different from the young Renaissance prince I ha...
108K 2.6K 56
Fortune favors the brave or incredibly reckless. Charles Brandon, the Duke of Suffolk, a man of impulsive nature takes a risk on a woman of cautious...
4.8K 130 8
𝓐𝓷𝓭 𝓘 𝔀𝓪𝓴𝓮 𝔀𝓲𝓽𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓶𝓮𝓶𝓸𝓻𝔂 𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓻 𝓶𝓮 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽'𝓼 𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓵 𝓯𝓾𝓬𝓴𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓵𝓮𝓰𝓪𝓬𝔂 𝓽𝓸 𝓵𝓮𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓫𝓾𝓻𝓰...
32.2K 1.3K 24
y/n is only 26. despite being the daughter of a rich aristocrat, she only worked a simple job as a barmaid in a local pub, however this meant she alw...