Lexi's Promise

By neverfakeit

The new queen of the underworld is put through her paces when a prophecy foretells a future in which she is r... More

A message from me - your humble author
~1~
~2~
~3~
~4~
~5~
~6~
~7~
~8~
~9~
~10~
~11~
~12~
~13~
~14~
~15~
~16~
~17~
~18~
~19~
~20~
~21~
~22~
~23~
~24~
~25~
~26~
~27~
~28~
~29~
~30~
~31~
~32~
~33~
~34~
~35~
~36~
~37~
~38~
~39~
~40~
~41~
~43~
~44~
~45~
~46~
~47~
~48~
~49~
~50~
~51~
~52~
~53~
~54~
~55~
~56~
~57~
~58~
~59~
~60~
~61~
~62~
~63~
~64~
~65~
~66~
~67~
~68~
~69~
~70~
~71~
~72~
~73~
~74~
~75~
~76~
~77~
~78~
~79~
~80~
~81~
~82~
~83~
~84~
~85~
~86~
~87~
~88~

~42~

57.1K 2.9K 126
By neverfakeit

Lexi smiled as she watched Hades from the window of their bedroom. He had gone to the shed right after breakfast to get started on the crib. Now, as he hunched over the workspace he had set up in the yard, a sheen of sweat coated his back and chest. The picture could have been taken from any American home. A handyman hard at work, building something to make his family's life better. Who would have thought the god of the underworld could be so domestic? And looking mighty delicious doing it.

Rubbing her belly, Lexi thought about her future with that delicious, domestic god and the child they had created through their unbridled passion. Her pregnancy still felt like a dream. She was going to give birth to a god. Or would it be a goddess? What gifts would they possess? Would their progeny want to follow in their father's footsteps?

With renewed determination, Lexi abandoned her post at the window and strode down the long corridor to Hades' study. He was adamant that nothing be off limits to her, including his study, where he kept his vast collection of books. She often used the mahogany-rich space to research the bylaws or read the true accounts of the gods. Some of the mortal interpretations of the myths were ridiculous. Imagine, Cronus devouring his children. Whoever came up with that wild story was smoking something. Today, however, she was not interested in books.

Closing the door, Lexi walked up to the scrying mirror, speaking her intention. "Poseidon's Palace." She watched the mirror come to life, swirling like gray matter trapped behind glass. She always half expected to the see the face of Snow White's evil stepmother appear. The magic of the gods never failed to impress her.

A pale, thin face came into view on the other side of the mirror, a face Lexi recognized as belonging to Gwyn, one of Poseidon's nymphs. Gwyn greeted Lexi with a polite smile that appeared forced. This did not surprise Lexi, as she had noticed the sea nymphs exhibited more mood swings than forest nymphs. Still, Lexi's radar was triggered.

"Good day, Lady Lexi. How may I serve you?"

"Hello, Gwyn. I was hoping to speak with Poseidon."

"I am sorry. He is away from the palace, but if your message is urgent you can reach him at Odessa's home. He is helping her and her fellow goddesses install a water filtration system."

"Really? That is very thoughtful of him." Lexi could not keep the grin off her face. She knew how Poseidon's mind worked, and she could see this gesture of altruism as his way to impress Odessa.

Gwyn did not appear to share Lexi's amusement, letting her polite smile slip as she ground out the next few words. "Thoughtful, indeed. He insisted on overseeing the project from start to finish. The chaste goddesses are planning a celebratory dinner as a show of their gratitude. So, he will not be taking his meal at home."

Lexi definitely detected a note of malice in Gwyn's tone, which she had come to recognize as the favored tone of Melinoe, and Lexi could only guess Poseidon had done something to upset the nymph. "My message is not that urgent, but I would appreciate you telling him I called. Thank you, Gwyn. Pleasant day to you."

"I will see the message is delivered. Pleasant day to you, my lady."

The mirror went dark and Lexi stood in front of it, deliberating her next move. She had chosen the study to place her call to Poseidon, hoping to avoid a potential brood if Hades found her chatting in their bedroom with the god he most wanted to disembowel. Of course, she had merely intended to tell Poseidon about the agenda being blocked and ask him to reason with his pig-headed brother, but apparently that would have to wait until Odessa and her roommates were enjoying filtered water. Why did they need filtered water anyway? Surely, Olympus didn't have a problem with contamination.

"Lady Lexi, are you there?" The flustered voice of Sella echoed out of the speaking tube, and Lexi walked over to answer her call.

"Yes, Sella."

"Oh, good. I found you. I was starting to worry. We have a visitor at the palace door. A satyr named Pesca. She says you know her."

Lexi's forehead wrinkled with worry. Satyrs rarely visited the palace, and more distressing was the fact that Pesca had been feeling poorly the last time Lexi visited her herd. "Thank you, Sella. I'll be right down."

The palace doors were open when Lexi arrived in the foyer, and Sella stood just outside, a concerned expression clouding her pretty features. Beyond her, Pesca paced the bridge in a tight circle. The satyr's tan skin had faded to a pale olive, and she clutched her stomach. Lexi was about to ask why Pesca had been left on the bridge when she saw blood stains on the stones.

"Pesca, what happened to you?" Lexi rushed to her friend's side and Pesca stopped pacing. That's when Lexi noticed blood running down Pesca's legs. Something told Lexi that Pesca had not come to discuss her menses.

"I did not know who else to go to, Lady Lexi. You are the only one I trust with my... with our secret." Pesca's voice trembled as she wrung her hands at her chest, and Lexi knew Pesca was referring to the secret of her forbidden love affair with a centaur named Emeron. Had the situation taken a bad turn?

"We need to get you inside and see what's going on." Lexi steadied Pesca as she guided her toward the doors, but Pesca dug in her hooves.

"I do not want to ruin your lovely palace. We could go down to the river."

"Your health is more important than a few stains. You came all this way. Let me help you properly."

Pesca still appeared doubtful, but she nodded as Lexi ushered her into the foyer. Sella hurried in behind them to stand with Blythe, who was holding a wash basin filled with towels.

"You can take her to our washroom, my lady," Blythe said as she gestured toward the downstairs bath. "Our tub is quite large and the chaise can be used as an examination table."

"Perfect, Blythe. Thank you."

Springing into action, the nymphs swung open the bathroom door and readied the room. Blythe spread towels across the chaise to protect the blue velvet fabric, while Sella filled the wash basin with water.

Pesca protested as Lexi led her to the chaise. "No, no. Please."

"It's okay. We can replace the chaise," Lexi said as she patted Pesca's back reassuringly. A second later, Pesca hunched forward and a large amount of blood gushed from her body.

"Oh, dear." Sella's hand flew to her mouth as she pointed to the tub with the other. "Perhaps, we should get Pesca into the bath."

Blythe redirected her efforts to filling the tub with water while Lexi crouched next to Pesca. "Can you make it to the tub, Pesca, or should I carry you?"

"My lady, you are in no condition to be lifting," Blythe protested. "We will all help Pesca get to the bath."

Lexi had confidence that her command of the elements was strong enough to lift Pesca, but using her gifts always took something out of her and she knew it was silly to risk it. Blythe and Sella each took one of Pesca's arms, while Lexi provided extra support under Pesca's shoulders. Avoiding the red puddle, everyone made their way to the tub, and Pesca managed to climb in without incident, apart from expelling more blood. Lexi noticed several clots, and although she didn't know much about the reproductive system of a female satyr, her suspicions as to why there would be clots had her stomach clenching.

Once Pesca had found a comfortable position in the tub, Lexi knelt down and dipped a cloth into the wash basin, wiping away the sweat that had formed at the base of Pesca's horns. "Pesca, can you remember when your last menses was?"

Pesca's large brown eyes were filled with angst when she looked at Lexi. "Four moons."

Lexi exchanged a glance with Blythe and Sella, and both nymphs appeared to understand the delicacy of the situation. Still, Lexi had to cover all bases.

"Four cycles is a long time, which could be the cause of the heavy flow. Is it unusual for you to have... clots?"

"Yes. There is something not right."

"Is everything okay between you and Emeron? Has he been treating you well?"

Pesca nodded fervently despite the clear signs of pain in her face. "Yes, of course. He loves me."

Fiona entered the room, carrying a tray filled with various items, including a mug of steaming tea. Her delicate eyebrows rose as she took in the blood-splattered floor. "I thought I would find you in here. I brewed up something for our patient. It is a mixture of wheatgrass and red clover. To replenish what she has lost. I will take care of the mess in the foyer. We would not want Lord Hades to think someone has been..."

"What in the name of holiness happened in here! Lexi!" Hades' bellow reverberated down the hall and Fiona's eyes widened.

"I'm in here!" Lexi called.

A moment later, Hades stood at the door, his face turning puce as he took in the scene.

"Lexi, are you...? What is going on?"

"I'm fine, Hades. It's Pesca."

"I am sorry, my lord," Pesca croaked. "Please, forgive me for the... for the mess... Oooh."

Pesca gripped the sides of the tub, and her fingernails produced an ear-splitting screech as they scratched the porcelain.

"Is there anything I can do?" Hades asked, resuming his poise while his face returned to its usual healthy glow.

"Not at the moment. Just some privacy. Thank you, my love." Lexi offered a smile that Hades graciously returned as he bowed out of the room, closing the door behind him.

Another loud groan erupted from Pesca as she pressed her hands to her belly. "Oh, it hurts. It hurts terribly. What is happening? Why does it hurt... down there?"

Lexi knew there was no easy way to explain what was happening to her friend, and although she was not an obstetrician, she had seen a horse miscarry, which prompted her to learn a good amount about it. "I am afraid you're miscarrying, Pesca."

"B...b...but that is not possible. We cannot..." Pesca spoke to her knees as she brought them up to her chest. "Oh!"

Pesca's face pinched in pain as she expelled a copious amount of blood into the bath water, followed by a small, fleshy mass. Still connected to the umbilical cord, the tiny creature could have fit in the palm of Lexi's hand. Its legs and arms were curled inward, covering its head, and Pesca released a gut wrenching howl as she reached down to touch the motionless form.

"No! Oh, no. What have I done?"

Sella stepped into the tub, unaffected by the blood soaking the hem of her dress. "This is not your fault, Pesca," she explained softly. "You need to remain calm. You still have to deliver the placenta or you could hemorrhage. Just breathe slowly and deeply and let your body do what it needs to."

Sella gently lifted the baby out of the water and laid it on Pesca's belly, while Lexi patted Pesca's face with the wet cloth. Blythe walked to the other side of the tub and held the mug of tea to Pesca's lips, encouraging her to take sips. After a few minutes, Pesca pushed the placenta free, and Sella inspected it, making sure it had come out whole. The tub was emptied and refilled with clean water, and Fiona excused herself to prepare something for Pesca to eat.

Lexi felt a bit useless as the nymphs hustled about, doing what came naturally to them, while she watched Pesca ceaselessly stroke the tiny body that lay crumpled and immobile in her lap. There was nothing Lexi could do for Pesca or her baby. No spirit was waiting to be reunited with its body. Not a single sign that the little being had intentions of living beyond the womb. 

The knowledge that the child currently growing inside Lexi was the same age as Pesca's lifeless baby hit Lexi like a slap in the face, and a violent shudder had her gripping the side of the tub. Life and death were inevitable. This was a fact Lexi had grown up accepting as truth, but she was an immortal god, and her gifts allowed her to alter the truth. Suddenly, Lexi had the strong desire to thank Gaia for her gifts. So, she lowered her head to her chest and she prayed. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

138K 6.7K 44
Genevieve Salvatore is just a nineteen year old girl attending university to become a mathematician. But she is not ordinary nor is she normal like h...
5.8K 350 12
"It's funny now that I think about it." He poked his cheek with his tongue, the flame from his lighter blowing on to his thumb. "What is?" "Secrets."...
28.5M 819K 67
A lovestruck demigoddess, unaware of her royal status, makes a shocking discovery on her eighteenth birthday and attempts to flee to the underworld w...
25.5K 211 55
This will contain one-shots of: Sebastian Stan/Bucky Barnes Anakin Skywalker/Hayden Christensen Pedro Pascal/Mandalorian Goose and Rooster (from top...