Mind's Eye (X-Men Fanfiction)

Від TophPug

|X-Men: Apocalypse| The world had changed when she was six. A woman, who they began to call a mutant, saved... Більше

Dedication
Cast + Playlist
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One

Chapter Nineteen

482 11 4
Від TophPug

buggy2222 co-wrote this chapter
14:49, August 31, 1983.

"I'm sorry we're late." A elder woman said to her granddaughter.

The woman was stout and held a large decorated hand bag at her side. Her smile was one that would better any dreadful day, it belonged to her once younger-self, yet it was still so beautiful like her graying hair. Her eyes told stories that where full of a sort of spark she never let go of, Antionette could not put her finger on what it was.

Behind her stood a man of her age. He carried himself like a sturdy olive tree next to his wife, tall but leaning to a certain side. Calloused hands grasped her shoulder, his wrinkled smile beamed with pure adoration when he looked down at her. The spark never left his bright young looking eyes either.

Antionette gazed at the couple and Vale from the foot of the stairs. She admired the way they held their granddaughter like it would be their last. Vale, despite not seeing their smiles, showed similar affection. Though it seem held back compared to the couple's loving attention.

Though it was hard to see, and it took time to decode, Antionette spotted a glimpse of something new in their features. A glance of sorts between the couple. Brows arched slightly and lips curled. Antionette read it as uncertainty. Maybe fear.

They started to fuss over the cut on Vale's lip. She claimed it to be irrelevant.

The new comer, Jacob, walked into the foyer with a skip in his step. He was unknowingly being followed by the transparent bloodhound, who howled at his owner for not showering him with scratches. Antionette figured the dog was a friend of times when Jacob lived as a child. Before the harsh reality of life forced him to grow up.

Like many others, the bloodhound hadn't yet understood that their previous friend didn't see or hear them anymore, that was for Antionette to teach them. Usually their reactions were one of confusion or to refuse that it could happen. On rare occasion they would do nothing about it, they would seem to lose their joy and purpose. They became blank and without emotion. Unfortunately people were taught to let go of 'childish' things.

"Vale!" Jacob called to the brunette. A smile across his face.

Before she replied back to the boy the elder woman stepped closer to Vale. "Who's you're friend?" she tried to whisper to her granddaughter. Her words loud enough so even Antionette could hear. She still wore a cheeky grin despite Vale's complaining for her to stop.

The white haired girl's lips pulled into a wide smile as the scene unfolded in front of her. An observer like herself, Fluffy Buns joined her in her lap. He was always one for a show.

Vale fidgeted and placed a sheepish grin on while Jacob shook hands with her grandparents and exchanged introductions. The elder's beamed at the two, something brewing in their minds behind polite conversation.

"Where are you from Jacob?" asked the older man.

Vale's grandmother spoke rapidly before he could answer. "Are you single?"

Jacob's face flushed at the old woman's words. The bloodhound howled once more for attention.

"Graaan!" Vale groaned.

The older couple's eyes abandoned their granddaughter and her friend and found it's way to a smokey figure. The woman stumbled backward into her husband at the sight of him. The man's brows were low as he stared at the mutant.

The entire atmosphere changed from awkward greeting to unsettling.

"Zhere you tvo are! Ve'fe got zhe maths to shtudy." Kurt broke in. The German glanced to the startled strangers and straightened. "Sorry for zhe scare. I'm Kurt Wagner." The boy held out his disfigured hand.

With a visible forced smile Vale's grandmother shook his hand. "Diana Samson."

Kurt's kindness blocked her uneasiness and gave her a toothy smile, unintentionally showing off his fangs. Her eyes went wide along with her husband's grimace. What a pity they couldn't see beyond their own two eyes.

Antionette figured it was to awkward for the five alone, so she waltzed to her destination. It wasn't until she was a foot away they noticed the tall girl, in the same moment she realized the spark wasn't one of a happy origin. "You both look too young to have guilt embedded in your eyes."

Diana looked taken aback by the young broken girl in front of her. Vale seemed to be Atlas with the world upon her shoulders, the tension was to much. Yet she did nothing.

"Zhis is Antionette--" the nervous boy began to introduce her, attempting to lighten the conversation, "She sees--" he paused for a better word, "people?"

Jacob cleared his throat loudly and stepped next to Kurt. "How 'bout we get to studying, Elf?"

Almost as if it had jumped straight out of a horror film, the large wood door creaked open. All of the attention was on the plumb lady who entered the now quiet room.

She had fiery red curls that sprung out from atop her head like a leafy bush and her milky skin was peppered with freckles. Wrinkles lined her once soft face, but her tomato cheeks hid them well. Her cerulean blue eyes where cold unlike the neon yellow dress she wore with white stockings.

She was just like how the girl remembered her old friend. Though the white letter she held was new.

"I believe that is for me." Antionette said.

The white haired girl picked herself up and glided over to the woman. A skill of grace she acquired from the old nanny.

"Pearl..?" she muttered, Antionette never thought she'd see her again.

The woman nodded quickly and pulled the girl into a tight hug. Antionette missed her warm grasps, she almost didn't want to let go.

"Before you lay you're questions on me, love," The way her eyes were flecked with red alarmed Antionette, and her shaken voice lead the girl to further curiosity. Pearl sniffled. "T-there's no easy way to tell you..."

The teen's brows scrunched, confusion crossed her delicate features. Her old nanny didn't seem in the mood to be questioned or in the mood for anything at all. The swelling of tears in Pearl's old eyes set off every nerve in the young girls body. "Here is a note from your parents explaining everything." the woman croaked out in a sad manner.

Antionette stared down at the sealed paper package. She traced the gold lining and scanned the addresses twice. The dark clouds covering her sun started raining above her. A buzzing sensation shivered through her bones.

"Do you have a place to stay tonight?" she looked back to Pearl. "I could ask the Professor if you could spend to the night here."

"I-I would like that." Pearl smiled sorrowfully.

She held in her breath as she ripped the letter open and unfolded the fancy paper. Written in golden ink she read:

Dear, Antionette.

We are greatly sorry to inform you of the horrible event that has occurred. We apologize for any disruptions that this unfortunate news will cause. Disrupting your education is at our fault but we're in a dire need to notify you that your brother has passed.

Cyrus's powers were too much to handle. It consumed him until he was solid gold. There was ceremony in his honor on August 27.

With pity and remorse, Mr. & Mrs. Pennal.

Her heart fell into her stomach. She couldn't bare looking at the picture that was attached to the letter.

The world around her felt like she was stuffed into jello. Pearl and the people crossing through the halls formed into slow blobs. Any sounds became distant and muffled. The buzzing in her bones stopped. Everything stopped. All of the emotions she held broke out of their dam and the catastrophe was to much to handle, even for someone who had always felt alone .

A rogue meteor could have struck down on top of her and it wouldn't be worth it. The mansion could have blown apart again, things would still be no different.

It was like something was lost deep inside. A hole that had once been filled was dark and empty. Anything she felt was taken away. There was nothing.

She blinked back the tears that were fighting its way up. Swallowing a sob she straightened her back, putting on a facade. The strange girl kept on fighting the darkness.

Pearl wrapped her arm around Antionette. "Let's get you a cup of tea, love."

The nanny guided her carefully down the two steps like she was a young bird, who had fallen from the nest. Antionette shook her head.

"No, find the Professor so you can stay here. Someone will help you." she mustered the words. "I-I'd like to be alone."

Pearl stared at her, eyes questioning what was beyond the mutant's own.

"I'm always here for you, my dear." Pearl assured her, patting her cheek sympathetically.

Once her care taker had left in search for the Professor, Antionette lead herself to up the winding stairs. She trudged to her room.

When she closed the door behind her, she gave in to the darkness. She dropped her weapon and surrendered after all these years of fighting. Antionette let it wash over her and make it's way inside.

For now she was Atlas and she could not hold the weight of the world. The terrible reality sunk deep in her chest and yet she could do nothing about it.

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

42.1K 1.6K 83
Usually, the first thing the love of your life says to you isn't "you're covered in blood". Then again, usually, you don't meet them when you're dyin...
17.2K 871 25
Retreat. That word was not in my vocabulary, but it was the only thing we could do. If not, the Avengers would be lying dead on the grass behind the...
2.9K 284 18
SEQUEL TO THE SHADOW Ever since her mutation evolved, Amara promised herself she would live alone in Canada where she could keep everyone a safe dist...
8.1K 140 11
An X-men and Alex Summers x fem!oc book, meaning I make a character, you play them, your love interest is Alex Summers and this story takes place in...