The Prince's Escape

De yerd213

Once we are alone, he turns to me, "We need to work on your acting skills. How can a commoner be such a blood... Mai multe

Coming Soon
Chapter 1 || I'm The Bloody Prince
Chapter 2 || Now, You've Done It
Chapter 3 || Take Care Of Ashes
Chapter 5 || Being, So Difficult
Chapter 6 || Into Darkness
Chapter 7 || Your Royal Garments
Chapter 8 || Share Your Weight
Chapter 9|| Longing To Be Held
Chapter 10|| The Moon And The Night
Chapter 11 || You Alone Can Help
Chapter 12 || The Ability To Sleep Anywhere
Chapter 13 || I'm A Woman
Chapter 14 || Embers of A Fiery Light
Chapter 15 || Dragged By the Hounds of Hell
Chapter 16|| We Are With You
Chapter 17 || Is Ember Cold
Chapter 18 || Nasty Right-Hook
Chapter 19 || Alone In This World
Chapter 20 || This Is Not The End
Chapter 21 || Just Don't Die
Chapter 22 || Shut My Brain Off
Chapter 23 || I Need Him Safe
Chapter 24|| Overnight Destruction
Chapter 25 || Don't Cry Little Spark
Chapter 26|| No Longer A Prince
Chapter 27 || Mother Is Waiting
Chapter 28 || Swift To Be Kind
Chapter 29 || Fear & Desperation
Chapter 30 || Medically Dangerous
Chapter 31 || You Are No Princess

Chapter 4 || Over My Dead Body

6.2K 247 25
De yerd213

< - - - - E m b e r - - - - >

After our supper, I cleared the table and began washing the few dishes used from the day. Seeing as it's always just Ferbius and me, there's never very much. "Are you ready for your studies, my dear?" Ferbius asked. The exhausted groan involuntarily escapes my lips as I turn to meet his expectant gaze. Although I knew this was to come, it's our routine every night, after all, there was a small part of me that was hopeful he'd forget or by some miracle decide to cancel it for tonight. As much as I appreciate his efforts to guide me in the ways of medicine and herbs, it's just not where my passions lie. 

"Must we. It's late, and I'm certain when the sun goes to sleep we are supposed to too," I try, but I already know there will be no budging; there never is. As much as I think I was born with my stubbornness, I know much of it rubbed off from the old bones walking towards me with the even older text in his hands. 

He lets out a low chuckle, before placing the familiar text on the table. It was one of the few books Ferbius was able to obtain from a wealthy merchant before the trades were closed after the plague. It's a translated text from ancient medicines all the way from India, Persia, and the far regions of China. I use to sit in wonder of the great text and the teachings it could give bring me, but now it is my dread every night. "Since when do you do things you are supposed to."

"Cheeky, old man," I huff and walk over to meet him in our usual spot. 

"Where did we leave off?" He asked me, flipping through the worn pages. 

"Herbs and their healing properties," I recite, earning a proud nod from Ferbius, as I try to hold my rolling eyes in place. 

"Alright, let us begin," he clears his throat, before holding his head in a frustrated and pained manner. "I have a terrible throbbing in my head," he starts my lesson by acting out a symptom to which I must diagnose, and give the proper medicine for. 

"Do you have achy joints?" I probe, forming the list of possible diagnostics in my head. 

"Yes, in my arms and legs," he stated, showing the difficulty of moving his limbs. I tried not laugh at the display, knowing it would only earn a stern look in return. 

"Okay, then you require sweet-smelling herbs such as rose, lavender, sage, and bay. Also, a mixture of henbane and hemlock to be applied to aching joints. And lastly, coriander to reduce a fever," I finish beaming because I know it's right. 

"Nicely done," he exclaims. "Now, I have sharp pains in my stomach region," he suddenly crunches over holding his stomach as though he were sick.

"Any blood when you cough?" He shakes his head staying in character. "Um, I'm going to go with wormwood, mint, and balm," I say, a little unsure, seeing as stomach pains are my worst area, and he knows it. He grins widely standing up straight, suddenly cured by magic. 

"Wonderfully done! Look what a little practice gets you," He praised while subtly reminding the importance of our lessons together. "Now, I'm--" he begins, but at that moment there is loud pounding on the small wooden door. Ferbius instantly makes his way to the entry, but I'm afraid if our weak door receives one more of those poundings it will break right off. As far as the owner of the pounds, we are used to getting patients at all hours of the night, so this is nothing too out of the ordinary. I'm just glad that there will be no more lessons for the remainder of the night. He cracks the door open just wide enough to peak out. "How may I help you?" He asks, but he is quickly pushed, aside, falling back only to be caught by the wall behind him. 

"Hey, watch it!" I yell at the three guards that are now filling the entryway of our small home. Their heads skimming the ceiling. Ferbius as righted himself and gives me a stern look to watch my tongue and I take a deep breath to calm my temper. He always said my mouth was going to dig a whole I couldn't get out of one day. 

One of the guards I recognize as, Portius, the King's most trusted guard. What could he possibly want at this hour? Unless he's in trouble. "We are here by order of the King. We seek Ember McNeill. She is under arrest," Portius orders, pointing his finger as though sealing my fate. I guess that day is now. 

"On what grounds?" I ask, standing up straight and narrowing my eyes at the man behind him, as though challenging them to take a step forward and complete the act of my arrest. I see one falter slightly but pull his shoulders back as though remembering he's the one with the sword. 

"The King does not require reasons when you are being taken to be tried," Protius continues, looking utterly bored with the situation. Portius is one of the older guards and doesn't usually act on the King's bidding, so this must just annoy him, but he is loyal to his King, so does as he is asked. Just as I would if I were ever given the chance to be a Knight, but even thinking such things could be considered treason. I respect Portius, but that doesn't mean I have to obey him. 

"Over my dead body," I glare, crossing my arms in protest. I'm itching to grab the dagger in my boots. My sword is under my mattress too far for me to retrieve it. Unless, I can get the one to the right, who has been waiting to prove himself since he entered my house.  Perhaps it would distract the other long enough to- Before I could give it much more thought, Ferbius words finally reach me.

"Ember, go with the guards," He states slowly, taking hold of my shoulders to add more force to his words. My gaze meets his and I see the urgency in his eyes. "I will figure something out, my dear. Please just go peacefully and cause no troubles." He knows I have never been able to put the idea of fighting out my head, no matter how hard he has tried to put the wonders of knowledge an medicine. My father's blood still flows through my veins, and it calls to me like the sky calls the birds home. He knows I want nothing more than to engage these men.

I let out a frustrated sigh, and release my defensive stands. Ferbius's gentle hands leave my shoulders and I am at once being dragged out of my home. I would have caused in trouble as Ferbius asked if I were only allowed to walk. So, I intend to wake everyone in the whole bloody kingdom! "Get your hands off me! I can walk on my own two! You're kidnapping!" Soon I am inside the castle walls. A place I have never truly seen before. It is breathtaking and completely maddening. If I were here under different circumstances, I would be a little elated to keep my hands to myself. I would be roaming and gazing at each crevice, but instead, I'm here as an innocent criminal.

Soon we enter the throne room, and sitting on the royal throne is the King himself. I've seen the King before, but never this close. His authority, even seated, is unnerving. It is no wonder we haven't seen a war since his reign. Who would be foolish enough to go against a man, who can inflict fear with just a gaze? The King stares down at me, his blues eyes seem to see into my very soul, and suddenly I am vulnerable. I am released and quickly curtsy, and bow my head down low out of respect, although, at this very moment, I have none for him. "Do you know why you are here?" The King addresses me directly, and I try to muster up all the courage I have to keep my wits about me. I let out a steady calming breath as Ferbius taught me.

Standing up straight, I shrug casually, "I'm sorry, your majesty, but I can't say I do."

"You disrespected the soon to be Queen of the Irles, and for that, you shall be made an example of," he stated, slowly. And that's when I realize I am here on grounds of treason because of that over pampered prat. The King is conversing with me about my life as though it weren't being dangled by a string for him to cut at any moment.  

"Wait, I didn't do anything wrong," I call to him, frustration getting the better of me. Ferbius told me to be peaceful, but I don't handle acts of injust well. Never have, so any thoughts of calmly breathing my way out of this have just blown up in smoke. 

"You don't see your crime, girl?" he questions, seeming unfazed by my outburst, and for some reason, a bit of fear creeps into my system. What is this going to play at?  He doesn't give me long before he asks, "Are you sane?"

Oh, no! The mental can be tortured and sent away! They can be deemed as demons or the possessed! "That is not what I said," I begin trying to recover. However, before I can continue, the Prince and his trusted sidekick, Davis, enter.

"Father, what is the decision on the punishment for this mere stable girl?" He asks, his arrogance oozing off of him. He was the other person that warned me to be careful, but it's his lot I have to be wary of!

"Pardon me, but the mere stable girl is standing right here," I insert, for some reason my mouth has not caught up with the fact that I could die!

"My God! She is mad! Speaking to a Prince in such a manner. Guards!" the King calls, and I'm once again, grabbed by my arms and lifted off the ground. I try not to huff in frustration or pain as their fingers dig into my arms. 

"Put me down! I'm not mental! Tell him! Tell them I'm not mental!" I call to Prince Luca, who at the moment is holding back a laugh because I'm sure this is just downright hysterical to him. I probably do look crazed, but the possibility of death and torture can make the sanest of people crazed. 

Davis is the only one that seems to hold any fear for me, but I don't want his pity I want him to make his master tell his father the truth. I hear Davis whisper, "You heard her, tell him she's not a loon."

"I will," Prince Luca hushes, but he adds, "It's just hard when the evidence is so clearly on display." The stupid bloody prince. Oh, when I get my hands on that prat, he is going wish he kept his lips shut! But for now, I need him. "Father," he suddenly calls, gaining some royal like composure. Are they taught to turn off their emotions like, or are they born with that uncanny ability. "May I speak with the crazed woman for a moment," he asks and I have to look down so they won't see me roll my eyes in annoyance. 

"I suppose," the King responds with a dismissive tone.

Prince Luca comes towards me, pointing a look at the guards, whom release me and step back. I watch him carefully still not sure what his plan is. I could take my chance and just fight at least then if I'm to die it is not without trying. If I got out, I could become a hermit. I say goodbye to Ferbius and take off for good. When he steps in front of me. His blue eyes meet mine, and he simply says, "If I help you, you help me. No questions asked."

"What?" I ask. Surely, I hadn't heard correctly. How could I possibly help a Prince?

"You heard me, stable girl," he states sternly, his eyes unwavering. "Times almost up," he shrugs casually.

But I still haven't said anything. What if it's something bad, really bad? Could I just die now? But if he gets me out, I can give him the slip. I just need to get out of this. "Fine," I huff. 

"Awe, stable girl, smile. You know you're happy," he whispers cooly, and I feel like accidentally colliding my fist to his jaw. 

I silently fume, and he just chuckles. "Father, she is not mental. I've never talked to a saner woman." He reports, turning to his father. "She didn't realize that she had insulted my future wife, until after when she tried to apologize, but Francesca was too distraught to hear it. She is the trusted apprentice to Ferbius, our physician. Surely, you can see she is sane and respectable. Besides, I think being dragged out of her home in the middle of the night by our guards here has scared her into being more careful of the people with whom she speaks, right?" he eyes me expectingly. 

I'm sure my face is twisted after hearing all the lies he's easily spinning, but I simply nod, playing along because it means getting the hell out of here. 

The King's hard gaze seems to be analyzing every inch of me, but I don't shrink away. I guess I should. Suddenly, Davis starts coughing loudly gaining everyone's attention, including the King. "My God, get your servant to shut it or leave," he calls to Prince Luca, while Luca looks over to me in frustration. 

"Play meek, or this won't work," he whispers quickly. Then, Prince Luca nods at Davis, who stops coughing just as suddenly as he started. It was a ruse. 

Play meek? Oh boy. I think back to all the women braiding their hair and gossiping about the knights in the court and try to channel them. I change my posture, so my shoulder slump just slightly. My head is tilted towards the floor with my eyes downcast, and I start playing with my fingers. I can feel the King's eyes on me once again, but I go against my nature and remain in my visually weak stance. God forbid, a woman appears to have an ounce of strength. 

"Very well," The King finally says with a sigh. "She may go, but you are responsible for her, and I will not be the one to inform your fiancé of the results of this trail. Good luck," he chuckles, before sanding, causing everyone to bow their heads in respect, and taking his leave.

Prince Luca looks down in irritation, before he releases a sigh, and looks over to the guards, who have not left their spots on either side of dangerous little ole me. "I'll ensure the girl gets to her home safely," Prince Luca tells the guards, who then leave after the King. Once we are alone, he turns to me, "We need to work on your acting skills. How can a commoner be such a bloody awful liar? Don't you learn that when you are infants?"

"Oh, I'm sorry I don't lie for sport like you lot! Last I checked, it's the ones with the sticks up their arses who are so brilliant with deceit and after seeing your performance I know it to be fact! I've never heard such posh! As though I hold any regret, for telling that fancy prat anything, ha" I call back. Now that we are alone, I no longer require restraints as I let my temper run wild. 

He does something that takes me by utter surprise. He literally grabs my lips and pushes them together. "Don't you ever shut this mouth of yours!" I move my hands to his chest, trying to pay no mind of the heat radiating from him and give him a great push, shoving him a from steps back in surprise. 

"Don't touch me! Agh!" I let out before taking a breath, and with a little less force I add, "the King bought it didn't he."

"Barely," he grunted. My head snapped back at him, I was fuming. How could a man make me so incredibly angry with just a few words? This must be the great charm of the Prince, I hear so much about. 

Davis suddenly appears in front of both of us. "Will you two stop bickering," Davis insists, putting his hands out to us. "We have some other matters to take care of, or have you already forgotten?" He adds, his gaze being solely directed to the Prince. 

"Right. You are going to help me escape," he commands. If his words didn't confuse me, the authority in his voice would have simply added more flue to the fire. But now I am at a loss for words as I stare back in uncertainty. 

"Escape?" I question. Oh, God! What have I gotten myself into?

< - - - - >

Hey, fellow Bookworms!

So, I really hope you liked the chapter. I have revised the storyline, so it is more coherent with the chapters later in the book.

|| Picture || The image is of Charlie Hunnam, who I've cast as Prince Luca, only imagine him a little younger. 

|| Music || Waking Up The Giants by Grizfolk

|| Historical Goodies || "During the Renaissance and the early modern period the clergy considered madness and melancholy as 'the work of the devil'. Certainly, the idea of early demonic possession of the human body and soul was predominant as victims were thought to be possessed by evil spirits. It was believed that the devil could take possession of a person's mind, and give them certain images and thoughts. It was also believed that once possessed, the Devil could get people to do his bidding -"the stone of madness". Consequently, this was believed to be a sign of weak faith in the early Renaissance period, and therefore a cause for condemnation." -- GroovyHistorian

|| Fun Fact || At 3006 words this is one the longest chapters I have ever written... whoa!

★ I would love to hear your thoughts feel free to drop a comment below. If you did enjoy the chapter, be to make my day and click that star! Thank you for reading! ★

You are loved!

Love,

Yerd213

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

7K 338 27
Back in this day and age, royalty no longer wedded royalty, simply because everyone now wanted to marry for love. Which is why a union like ours woul...
404K 15.7K 37
**COMPLETED** ~ * ~ * ~ "Just. Leave. Me. Alone!" I ordered pushing him away but he didn't seem to budged. Instead of backing off, he only moved clos...
96.3K 2.9K 17
#3 in short story! 3/29/2019 #34 on Royals! 8/20/2019 #8 on heartfelt! I was walking to the grocery store when I thought some one was following me ...
236K 10.8K 33
****Copyrighted**** 'Tell me you don't feel it.' He whispered against my lips, and the trembling that had ceased at the feel of his lips against mine...