After Humanity

By stpolishook

* 2017 WATTY WINNER!* Blurb: Humans are at the top of the food chain and always have been. But what if they... More

After Humanity...
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Note to Readers
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty- Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Bonus Chapters: Alice's Choice part I
Bonus Chapters: Alice's Choice part 2
Bonus Chapters: Alice's Choice part 3
Bonus Chapters: Alice's Choice part 4
Bonus Chapters: Alice's Choice part 5
Voices of Humanity (Preview Chapter)

Chapter Nine

37.3K 2K 586
By stpolishook

30 Years Earlier ~

Magnus Kendrick

"You must purchase slaves."

It was the advice his brother had given him countless times before. But in the midsts of Magnus's most recent financial struggle Torvald had pressed the matter all the more.

"It's hypocritical you know," Torvald commented, as they sat at his brother's table enjoying a leisurely dinner. "Why should this animal have any less of your sympathy than another?" He gestured to the rack of lamb in front of him before cutting a large chunk of meat and lifting his fork to his mouth. He chewed slowly, daring Magnus to respond.

Magnus was annoyed by the question. Torvald knew well his mixed feelings on human meat and the practices most sibla farmers engaged in to make the delicacy available to their customers. It had been two years now since their father had died leaving his estate not to Magnus, the eldest of the two, but to Torvald. Magnus had had no desire to contest his father's wishes and his brother knew that the question of human stock was a large part of his decision to release their family estate into the hands of his younger sibling.

The Kendrick plantation was grand, know well for its high-quality animal stock. From cows, to sheep and pigs, to humans, the Kendrick name was synonymous with premium meat. Though Magnus had pride in the reputation his father and grandfather had grown, he had not had the desire to run such a big operation. Instead, he'd taken his inheritance and bought a much smaller estate, with a modest farm and a smaller flock of sheep, chickens and a few pigs. But money had been tight after the costs of his set up, and Torvald had been pressing him more and more to venture into the human trade.

"I have it on good authority that the price of wool and lamb will continue to fall for some time yet," Torvald remarked. "The human trade however, is only expanding. You could even create your own line to breed. Start establishing your own name in the business. 

"A few breeding females, already tested, and one male. Within three to four years you will have harvestable offspring. And you could always supplement with cast offs from the wild markets. You know the ins and outs of human rearing. Many do not and waste their money buying animals bred outside of captivity fearing they will never reach a reasonable slaughter weight, but you know humans well enough to judge good stock. At the very least consider investing in a few house salves. It would cut your operating costs considerably."

Magnus nodded, accepting his brother's advice as he bit into his own meal. "Do you ever question the trade, Torvald?" he asked, though he knew his brother's answer already. "That boy there," he said, gesturing to the ten year-old human gelding Torvald kept as a pet and favored house slave. "You care for him don't you? Yet you eat his companions."

Torvald laughed. "Of course I care for Chester," he replied but that does not mean that one day I might not harvest him myself or sell him to another. He is an animal Magnus, and is well aware of that fact. Aren't you Chester?"

The boy's expression remained neutral as he nodded his head.

"You see? Torvald continued. "As long as your animals know their place, all are happy. Chester is a loyal creature and thus has been granted the privilege to serve me for as long as he is pleasing."

Magnus did not answer. It was exceedingly disturbing to him that Torvald might make an emotional connection with an animal he might one day eat. Even living on the Kendrick as a child Magnus had always felt discomfort with the fact that many of the humans that helped in his home and cared for him so loyally would eventually serve as his meal.

"Leave us, Chester," Torvald said, seeing Magnus's expression. "You are displeasing to my brother."

Magnus watched as the poor boy blanched.

"Please forgive me, Master," Chester stuttered.

The boy cast a nervous glance in Magnus's direction before quickly bowing his head and scurrying from the room.

"That was uncalled for, Torvald," Magnus said, casting a glare in his brother's direction, but the man only shrugged.

"It was the truth was it not?" he asked.

Of course it wasn't the truth. It was not the boy who had been upsetting and Magnus could not help but think it cruel of Torvald to frighten the animal so. Chester was indeed his brother's favorite and it was very unlikely that the creature had anything to fear for many years to come. Torvald had only made such threats to goad Magnus himself and it was entirely distasteful for him to have done so at the human's expense. 

But Magnus did not press the issue, merely going back to his meal. There was a reason he tended to avoid his old family home. Though he cared for his brother they were very different from one another. Spending time with Torvald inevitably led to a lecture on his life, his beliefs. Magnus often didn't have the energy to engage. But the truth was he needed money and Torvald was an expert at making it.

"I have an investor for you Magnus," Torvald said, sipping from his wine glass. "If you are indeed ready to accept my advice."

Magnus looked up from his meal in surprise.

"You said when last we talked that you would at least consider investing in some amount of human stock," he challenged. "This new friend of mine could help."

"I said I would consider it," Magnus answered. "But I was hardly ready to engage in discussions with and with an investor."

"Just hear me out," Torvald replied, undissuaded by Magnus's clear objections to the idea. "Cedric Dulane is a highly reputable dealer in human flesh and his name is quite well known. I happened to meet him recently at a friend's party and he expressed great interest when I told him of you. He has been looking to grow his business and invest in a smaller venture as well.

"He proposed lending you a few pre-bred females and assigning a handful of feeder animals he hopes to fatten. In return for housing the humans, he would be willing to grant you a portion of the proceeds from their final sale and any offspring produced from the pregnant females would be yours to keep as a bonus. In addition, he is willing to offer you a good price on one or two prospective house slaves.

"Imagine firing that poor excuse for a maid you keep and purchasing free labor. Surely that would significantly cut down on your household expenses? You would already be building slave quarters for the others and you could keep your household workers minimally fed, focusing efforts on growing the market stock.

Magnus nodded. It was a relativity generous offer. Having a few humans to care for would not be too great an addition to his other livestock. Human's were largely self-sufficient after all. House slaves in particular were often quite adept in caring for their own and would provide aid in raising the rest of the animals in his care. If the offspring produced from the breeders was viable, he would have beginnings of his own human flock and should he prove his ability to fatten Dulane's animals to a noteworthy degree, Magnus might find more business the next season. But the question remained in his main. Did he want to go into the human trade?

"You know Magnus," Torvald commented, no doubt well aware of his reticence. "You have worked to better conditions for human livestock. What better way to defend your cause than to raise humans yourself? You continue to rave about the heartless treatment most owners impose upon their stock, but you are an entirely uncredible voice for reform if you cannot prove the viability of these lofty ethical standers in slave rearing yourself. Moreover, Dulane is a very important man and it would mean a great deal to me if you at least meet with him and hear the details of the offer. A friendship with the Dulane estate will strengthen our family's name and bring us both fortune.

As much as he wished to deny it, Magnus knew that Torvald had a point. Rather than follow his family business, Magnus had made a stand in the sibla world speaking out against the unethical treatment he had observed in the treatment of human livestock. His efforts to see human rights upheld had been somewhat controversial and not particularly popular with his brother. But as a good sibling, Torvald had ultimately supported Magnus's efforts, agreeing that those who broke the law in the management of their animals should indeed face prosecution. 

Though he had not been willing to actively participate in Magnus's activist efforts Torvald had lent his name and blessing to his cause nonetheless. Now Torvals was asking for Magnus's support. It seemed highly selfish to refuse. Besides, perhaps as his brother implied, some good might come of his proving the viability of raising humans stock with greater care.

"I will meet with him," Magnus answered. It seemed entirely ungrateful to not at least agree to that.

----------------

So there you have it, a first glimpse into Magnus's past. Thoughts? There is actually a whole interwoven "30 years earlier" storyline that will be revealed as the main story continues. It is meant to give clues about certain character's past and how they might have ended up where they are now. Hopefully it will flow well and not be a confusing interruption to the main timeline but I will have to wait for your feedback on that I guess;-) 

 Do you feel like you have learned something new about Magnus here? Does this help to raise more questions in your mind about who he is exactly and why he took in Rachel? I imagine it gives some context for him too though ( at least that is the intent). Anyway let me know! The next chapter will take us back to our current timeline but will again be from Magnus's POV. You will also meet another interesting character who is going to play a big role in both timelines;-) Anyhoo, hope you enjoyed the chapter and if you did? don't forget to click the star! :-)

Side note: Tomorrow is WATTCON! I am super excited to be attending and hope to report on it next week. Should be fun to meet wattpadians in person:-)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.5K 225 12
Will they win, or will their hunger take over? 18 objects. 12 stomachs to feed. 1 "prize." No food. Many characters from ONE including favorites such...
1.4K 44 43
Venomous Mistake This is Marco and Clara's brutal/sexy story. Clara Revenge was my goal-to take down the enemy. I've trained under my Uncle, but eve...
417K 10.8K 30
{INCOMPLETE, UNDER REVISION} - Book 1 of The King's Prey Series. ***As I'm working through revisions for this book, the unrevised completed version...
518 407 47
In a world where scientific advancements have gone too far, the line between progress and destruction has been crossed. In "SURVIVE!", readers are t...