SULTAN {Preview}

By AmirahJulde

#1 in Sultan, more times than I can count. "Promise me, promise me oh brother, that you will take care of Su... More

Introduction.
Keywords
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Author's Note
Chapter Three
CHAPTER FOUR
Chapter Five.
Chapter Six.
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
I'm back!!!
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen.
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Author's Note
Meant Not To Be #ProjectNigeriaUC2017
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four
Happy Birthday SULTAN
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty-six
Chapter Twenty-seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-one
A Review
Chapter Thirty-two
Dear Momma!
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-four
Chapter Thirty-five
THE STORY OF US...
EPILOGUE TEASER!
EPILOGUE

Chapter Fifteen

9.5K 1K 51
By AmirahJulde

We sat in a semi circle in Mama's sitting room after Isha and tarawii prayers. Baba sat in the middle while I sat by his right, Khalil who joined us sat by the left with Mama sitting next to him and Qudsiyya next to me. He had his legs stretched out in front of him while the rest of us tugged our legs underneath us, like the way islamiyya pupils do, while receiving Quranic recitation from there Mallams, their slates hugged to their chests. We were ready to listen to his story. Mama insisted earlier on that we let him rest till after breaking our fast since it seemed from all indications, he traveled from a long distance.

Both Mama and Qudsiyya's faces were red and puffy from crying, the former out of gratitude to Allah and the latter out of shock. He sat for a moment, a sad expression on his face before he cleared his throat and began.

"It was a month into our hunting session when news reached us that hoodlums were invading a close by town, kidnapping little children and snatching things from passers by, they also robbed their popular market, rumours also had it that the youths of the town had had enough and so with the permission of their king, they vowed to bring an end to it. Upon their investigations, they gathered that the hoodlums were lurking around in the bushes and so that was their main target, in case they attacked again.

Most of my hunting partners upon learning about this decided to flee, so as to avoid being attacked too and probably being mistaken as the hoodlums since we were in the bushes too and we were also strangers to them. I was among the few who decided to brave up and stay, oh how a wrong decision that was.

Two weeks after some of our men left, the hoodlums invaded the town again, causing a lot of havoc, like they have never done before, the town people have had enough, they sent their youths into the bushes to search and bring home the culprits for conviction, the hoodlums ran to where we were when the youths attacked them, and unlike them, they took us off guard, unawares!" he paused and took a deep breath.

"How I wish what happened that day could be erased from my memory completely, how I wish I didn't remember that part of the past. A serious fight ensued between the hoodlums, the youths and of course we the hunters, we had to defend ourselves, we were not given the chance to explain, how wrong that decision was.

The youths mistook us to be part of the hoodlums, at the end, they won, must of the hoodlums had a chance to escape between the commotion, the hunters too. I was among the few unlucky ones, many were killed, I was shot, and I blacked out ". He shook his head when he said this while Umma's eyes bulged out

"I woke up in an unfamiliar environment, I couldn't comprehend anything happening around me, It was later I got to know that I was in prison, I gathered from the inmates that I was brought their alongside a few others almost a year ago and after receiving treatments for months I didn't recover, and I was not dead either, so I was isolated and being checked on once in a while, up until that day that I finally woke up.

I knew no one, I couldn't recognize anybody, I didn't even know whether any of them were still there, I couldn't remember a thing.

I made a new  friend there in prison. Sadeeq was his name, a Muslim too, I came to find out from him that majority of the towns population were idol worshippers, they despised the few muslims amongst them, and in fact the reason why he was in prison was because the King's son developed interest in Islam and he helped him out by taking him to a Mallam who converted him.

He told me that when the King found out about it, he commanded his son to reconvert to their religion to which he was defiant and so the King exiled him, but not before the son promised his father to await his return.

Sadeeq was imprisoned, the Mallam, killed. He told me that he didn't know he will still be alive by then, that he knew he was still alive by the grace of Allah" he paused and took two pieces of dates from a bowl in front of him and chewed for a while before he continued

"When he asked me my story, I couldn't tell him anything, I couldn't remember a thing, the more I cracked my brain to remember, the more difficult it seemed to be. All I could remember was from when I first woke up, there in the prison. That was when Sadeeq suspected that I may be suffering from memory loss, I lost my memory Mabrooka.

We suffered Mabrooka, we toiled, we were hardly fed and we had to always sneak, in order to pray. All this while, I couldn't remember anything from my past life, it pained me greatly, I didn't even know who I was, where I was from, not even my name did I remember. Sadeeq decided to call me Ali, the other inmates too.

Three years into my stay in the prison, Sadeeq was taken away, to be killed, I can never forget that day, I can still see the smile on his face when he was taken away, he was brave and contented too, reason why, he was going to die as a Muslim which he said is the greatest favor Allah has done for him.

He kept telling me to have fate, to be strong and fight it to the end, until he was no longer within ear shot. I would not have been here today if not for his encouraging words, I would have died of grieve, pain, frustration and hardship. But I held on, by the grace of Allah and Sadeeq's encouraging words" his voice was shaky as he said this, a distance look in his eyes

"lt was my 11th year in prison when the town went to war, rumours had it that it was the king's exiled son who became a warrior and returned with an army, by then it was his half brother that was King, as their father was dead. The new King lost the battle to his exiled brother, his town was seized, slaves were caught, the prisoners were among, I was among.

And so I was being moved from being a prisoner to being a slave of a very wealthy man , I was a slave Mabrooka, for 6 years." Mama stood up and sat down again, obviously in confusion, she was crying again, wailing even. Qudsiyya was sniffling beside me and sobbing quietly. I reached out and held her hand, giving it a squeeze, I nodded, assuring her that I was there for her. Baba raised his face up and I saw tears in them, Khalil was crying too. After they calmed down, he continued

"There came a time when my master sold me out, the buyer took pity on me and set me free. I was free, but lost, homeless, hopeless!

I was on the streets, with no where to go to, I decided to start doing menial jobs, I started digging wells, of course I worked under some body, I had a master, Mallam Isa." he smiled amidst his tears

"Mallam Isa took me as his own, he trusted me, he trusted me enough to give me his young daughter in marriage, 2 years after I started working for him." he looked at Mama sceptically to see her reaction when he said this, but her expression was unreadable, she just held her temple with her hand.

"I have a wife Mabrooka, her name is Aisha and I have 3 kids with her, Usman my three years old son being the eldest, followed by twin girls, Madina and Hauwa'u Jidda, they are a year old.

I regained my memory a month ago, I was digging a well, a community well, it was so large and deep and definitely not an easy task, I finished digging and was climbing up when I lost balance and fell back in to the well, head first. I was lucky to have been rescued on time though I was unconscious , and after awhile of treatment, I woke up to see my wife by my side, the first thing I asked her was were is Mabrooka, the name didn't ring a bell to her, she was puzzled, I was too. It was then that the events of the past started flowing back. My memory was regained! All thanks to Almighty Allah." and at this, we all chorused an Alhamdulillah before waiting for him to continue and so he did.

"I narrated every thing to my wife and her father, she was not happy that I had a wife, that I wanted to come back for you, I understood, she was jealous. Who wouldn't be, she was scared I won't come back.

I convinced her and promised to go back for her and my children, her father gave me his support. It took a while for me to get directions to this Emirate, before I set out to come.

I travelled for twelve days, asking for more directions from passers by, cattle rearers, entering rickshaws and carts until I finally reached here today. All thanks be to Allah." he concluded and turning to Mama, he said
"Are you angry at me for getting married?"

"Why should I be angry Mallam, after all you went through. Allah has answered my prayers and I shall forever be grateful to Him. It's been 21 years, and it wasn't easy at all, welcome back home" her voice broke, she was crying again. I walked up to where she sat and bent down in front of her, she hugged me and cried some more, it took her awhile before she composed herself and stopped crying.

She started narrating to Baba all that had happened in the past 21 years that he was gone. Qudsiyya immediately stood up and rushed out of the room, I followed her, leaving Khalil, the ever ready listener still sitting there.

I faintly heard her silent sobs coming from the backyard when I came out, every where was dark, probably around midnight. I met her sitting on a bench and I sat beside her, everywhere was silent except for her sobs. After a while I finally spoke "Let's go back inside, it's late" she shook her head indicating that she won't, but however, she moved closer and lay her head on my shoulder. All was silent again as I rubbed soothing circles on her back, to comfort her.

"You should be happy Qudsiyya, for even though you're seeing your father for the first time, at least you did." I took a deep breath and continued

"Look at me now, I grew up with the love that every child deserves, Abba and Umma showed me so much love, the love that not every child gets. But every day I feel a part of me dying Qudsiyya, I wish I met my birth parents, but as fate has it, I never did and never will. All I pray for now is for Allah to unite us in Jannah.

Reality hurts but the fact still remains that I'm an orphan, it cannot be changed, and I am trying to accept it, not that it's easy though. Do not get me wrong, I am not being ungrateful or something, just accepting the fact and facing reality. I think you should be thankful my dear sister"

"I'm not trying to..to be ungrateful Sultan, it's just that, all th..this.. Is overwhelming, my mind is messed up right now" her entire face was puffy and red, as a result of her being light skinned. I understand why she is reacting this way, growing up without a father figure in your life is not an easy thing, knowing that that father is dead is better than his whereabout being unascertained. She would have been married a long time ago, but the suitors never return after a visit or two. No one wanted to marry a girl who doesn't know the where about of her father, especially when people rumoured that she is probably an illegitimate child. She is strong, I give her that credit.

As if remembering something, she jumped up and walked hastily into the house, the same way she walked out. What's wrong with her, why is she behaving weirdly today? I stood up and followed her back to the house, I saw her approach Baba and kneel before him. He looked up at her, waiting to hear what she has to say

"What is your name Baba?"

He turned and looked at Umma, as if to ask her why their daughter doesn't know his name, well at least he should know why. Women do not call their husbands name in this part of the world, it's regarded as a sign of disrespect. As if realising that, he turned and smiled and Qudsiyya, before answering her

"Qudsiyya my daughter, my name is Hussein"

                 ~~~

Haaah, what a loooooong chapter.
How are you my dear readers, hope everyone is fine.
I'm sorry for the late update, I started my exams today and I won't be done till the end of this month. Pray for my success plsssss, thank you.
I may update a chapter before the month runs out, not a promise though and if I don't, then expect the next chapter after my exams.
Once again, don't forget to vote, share, comment and pray. Thank you, I love you all 💝💝💝

Meereh😍

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 98.5K 36
Abdulhameed: She's my dream girl. Fatima: He's always been my crush, every girl has a crush on him. Abdulhameed: I love her. Fatima: I love him. Abd...
2.8K 341 47
Sequel to Anything for suleym We all have flaws but Amirah believe she have it all figure out, Amirah is perfect and she knows what she want, what sh...
51.4K 3.7K 61
She has been in love with him for as long as she can remember. She was madly head over heels for him. When she was bound to him, things don't go as s...
12.8K 790 37
" I know this marriage started as an arrangement but now I've fallen for you. Please give me a chance to love you and show you that I care." I told h...