Four Elements Book 2 - Fight...

By MarionAvalon

#117 in Fantasy Second book of the Fateful Five series. A few weeks after the events of Hidden Powers, the Fa... More

Foreword
Prologue
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 45
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 51
Part 52
Part 53
Part 54
Part 55
Part 56
Part 57
Part 58
Part 59
Part 60
Part 61
Part 62
Part 63
Part 64
Part 65
Part 66
Part 67
Part 68
Part 69
Part 70
Part 71
Part 72
Part 73

Epilogue

775 51 36
By MarionAvalon

After everything that had happened, Andie wasn't sure how she'd managed to focus on her finals or the play. But she had to, if she hoped to graduate and go to college. Jessica had teased she could always earn a living using her voice, but Andie wasn't sure that was the life she wanted. Soon, the finals were upon them so they worked to focus on that rather than on wondering whether they were going to even survive until graduation. And it was oddly comforting, Andie found, to bury herself in her books.

She was a little nervous since she'd spent most of her year distracted by her powers, her relationships with Bane and Eric, and the play... but now that those things were mostly behind her, she felt liberated. Judy, of course, tried to convince Andie to return to perform next year.

"I really appreciate it, Judy, but I want to focus on graduating. I'm sure Vicki will be more than happy to fill in for me."

Judy had grumbled a little, but eventually accepted. And soon enough, they had finished with their exams.

"Ugh, History buried me," Jessica sighed.

"How can it have, we studied for hours just last night!" Isabelle said.

"I know... oh well, there go my dreams of being a historian," Jessica sighed.

Andie laughed heartily. Personally, she didn't know if she'd passed, but she didn't think she'd done too bad.

"I thought it was easy," Isabelle shrugged.

Andie grinned.

"Yeah, but you read textbooks for breakfast!" she teased.

They laughed. It felt so nice to just relax, even if they all knew deep down that it was only temporary. As they left the school building together after their last test, they went to the Soda Fountain to celebrate.

"Hey, has anyone else wondered what happened to Zorak when we sent him through that portal?" Emily asked.

"Who cares? With any luck he got sent to some parallel dimension and won't ever be able to come back."

"I don't think so," Andie replied. "I'm guessing he went back to the Demon Realm. But it's been nearly a month since we last fought and we haven't seen him anywhere."

"Yeah, so?" Jessica asked. "No news is good news, isn't it?"

"Not when we're talking about a century-old power-crazy demon ruler," Bane pointed out. "I'm with Andie, it's strange."

"Maybe it took a lot out of him and now he has to recover?" Jessica suggested.

"I guess it's possible..." Isabelle agreed.

"Or he's working on his next plan and it's so overly evil he's taking a while to plan it all out..." Emily said.

They all looked at her.

"Yeah... I think I'm going to try and find a more optimistic approach..." Andie said with a small smile. "Whatever the reason we haven't seen him or his son, we should just enjoy the reprieve. I mean, can you imagine what it would have been like if he'd attacked during the finals?"

They all laughed.

For a few more weeks after the finals, they still saw no sign of demonic presence. Zarias didn't pay Andie any new visits in the middle of the night. Which, she had to admit, she didn't mind. Andie's shoulder was not quite as nimble as it had been before, yet, but at least it was healed, now. Balon was having her exercise it every day. A physical therapy of sorts, Andie guessed. And it had been working. That Saturday morning was the first day of summer vacation. The sun was shining brightly as Andie came down to breakfast that morning. The familiar smells of coffee and toast had never felt so comforting, she thought as she made her way to the kitchen where her parents were already deep in conversation.

"Morning," she said.

"I can't imagine changing schools twice in a single year..." Lauren was telling her husband. "I would think once is enough. Morning, honey."

They were sitting at the table around the usual coffee, orange juice, toast and cereal.

"Who's changing schools?" Andie asked as she poured milk over her cereal.

"Eric." Hank said.

Andie gaped, frozen in a standing position.

"Eric's leaving?" she asked.

"He's transferring to a different school. It's a private institution in Boston, I think. His mother told me he had received a scholarship."

"But that's the other side of the country!" Andie exclaimed. "Why ever would..."

But she trailed off. There was no use asking that question, because she knew exactly why he would leave. He couldn't stand seeing her with Bane. But why hadn't he told her about it?

Oh, don't be an idiot, of course he wouldn't tell you, she scolded herself. He knew you would try and talk him out of it...

"Didn't he tell you about it?" Lauren asked Andie.

"No... I saw him just last week! I can't believe it..." she said. "He wasn't even going to say goodbye?"

"I don't know, honey." Hank said.

"... Well, when does he leave?"

He checked his watch and sighed.

"They told me his plane was leaving at noon," he told. "They'll be getting ready to leave any moment now..."

Andie jumped to her feet, kissed her father's cheek and hurried out.

The drive to Eric's house was fairly short, but she knew she could miss them. She soon turned the corner into their street and recognized the Donovans' car. They were still packing Eric's luggage into the trunk. She parked and climbed out. They were so busy they hadn't noticed her. She marched towards him. Now that she had sorted her feelings out, she could see that Eric was indeed handsome, but she felt no real romantic feelings for him, if she ever had.

"Were you even going to say goodbye?"

Eric paused, then turned around.

"Hey..."

She crossed her arms.

"Were you even going to tell me you were leaving?"

"I... I would have emailed you..."

"Oh, that's classy."

"Look, I'm trying, okay?" he said.

"Eric, I know I didn't make things easy for you, and I'm sorry about that. But you didn't exactly help me much, either, throwing yourself at me every chance you had. And after everything, I think I deserve a little better than an email after you ran off."

Eric hesitated, then sagged his shoulders.

"... You're right," he sighed. "I'm sorry. I wanted to tell you... I just didn't know how, I guess. I think a part of me still wanted you to convince me to stay..."

"... and the other didn't want to face the fact that I wouldn't..." Andie said.

"I suppose."

Just then, to Andie's utter astonishment, Bane came into view.

"... Bane...?"

"Andie, hey, I didn't know you'd be here."

"I could say the same to you..."

"I called him," Eric explained. "I got Emily to give me his number." he glanced at Bane. "Hope you don't mind?"

"No. I'm just wondering what this is about."

"That makes two of us," Andie said pointedly, looking at Eric.

"I just wanted to apologize." Eric said. "I was jealous, and I was kind of unfair to you. So I'm sorry."

"It's okay. I wasn't really exemplary either." Bane said, shrugging.

"No hard feelings?"

"No hard feelings," Bane agreed.

They shook hands. Andie was glad they were working on at least getting along, even if she would have appreciated them making the effort sooner. Eric then turned to her, and she only just realized that he was flying off to a town just under three thousand miles from there. Denver was quite far away, but it was still less than half the distance to Boston. She took a step closer to him.

"... Are you really that mad at me?"

Eric breathed heavily.

"No. It's not that. I just... need a change of scenery. And Boston is the only one that offered me what I wanted."

Andie heaved a sigh.

"It'll be weird thinking you're that far away..."

"I know..."

They hugged each other.

"... Watch yourself, okay?" Andie said, her voice shaking slightly.

He nodded into her shoulder.

"You too." he whispered.

He paused a beat, then said:

"I have to go. I have a plane to catch."

"Oh... yeah, of course."

He stepped back.

"... Bye, Addy."

"Bye, Eric." Andie replied.

Bane took her hand in his. She grasped his arm for comfort. Eric, she noticed was clearing his throat and blinking more that was natural. He turned away and climbed into the car. Bane and Andie waved as it drove away until it vanished from sight. Bane then walked Andie back to her car, their hands locked together.

"You okay?" he asked.

"... Yeah, I think so. I mean, I'm still a little mad that he didn't tell me he was leaving for New York... but if it's really what he wants... It's not my right to stop him."

They paused next to her car. Bane leaned against it and pulled her towards him. Andie felt her heart race, because they had been close before but this was the first time since their reconciliation.

"Well, if he's happier that way, then it's all for the better, right?"

"Yeah... I guess."

She raised a finger at him.

"But if you ever plan on going that far without telling me, you're toast. Clear?"

She was smiling, so he knew she was – sort of – joking.

"Crystal," Bane grinned. "And I wouldn't have it any other way."

Andie leaned forwards and kissed him, her arms sliding behind his neck as his caught her waist, sending electricity through her body. They both knew the demons could attack them any moment, but they felt that so long as they stuck together, they could take on anything.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

328K 29.2K 107
"The Blind God walks around me, and I feel my mind prodded again like it was in the cavern, a spider weaving a tangled web. "Would you do anything to...
296K 7.7K 45
{Busy rewriting} ** Book One ** Blanchefleur isn't exactly a perfect Princess; she knows it, her parents know it, everybody else knows it, though...
25.6K 991 27
[Rebellion Saga #1] Another warring Era began after The Third World War. Another fractions, another ideologies collision, between thos...
2M 99.7K 37
Presenting the story of ISHIKA MEHRA Whose innocence made the king bow down to her AND ABHIRAJ SINGH RATHORE Whose presence is enough to make the per...