Lexi's Promise

By neverfakeit

The new queen of the underworld is put through her paces when a prophecy foretells a future in which she is r... More

A message from me - your humble author
~1~
~2~
~3~
~4~
~5~
~6~
~7~
~8~
~9~
~10~
~11~
~13~
~14~
~15~
~16~
~17~
~18~
~19~
~20~
~21~
~22~
~23~
~24~
~25~
~26~
~27~
~28~
~29~
~30~
~31~
~32~
~33~
~34~
~35~
~36~
~37~
~38~
~39~
~40~
~41~
~42~
~43~
~44~
~45~
~46~
~47~
~48~
~49~
~50~
~51~
~52~
~53~
~54~
~55~
~56~
~57~
~58~
~59~
~60~
~61~
~62~
~63~
~64~
~65~
~66~
~67~
~68~
~69~
~70~
~71~
~72~
~73~
~74~
~75~
~76~
~77~
~78~
~79~
~80~
~81~
~82~
~83~
~84~
~85~
~86~
~87~
~88~

~12~

75.1K 3.6K 489
By neverfakeit

"So, what's the story with you and Odessa?" Lexi started her interrogation as soon as Poseidon pulled their rented chariot away from the curb. She blamed morbid curiosity for her need to delve, shrugging innocently when he glanced at her through his peripherals. 

"What makes you think there's a story?"

"I thought I saw something pass between you two. Some shared memory, maybe. Or was I seeing something that wasn't there?"

"She is a descendant of Prometheus, a god who had been known to incite havoc. Zeus and I have made it our business to keep a close watch on his offspring."

Lexi laughed. "I doubt Odessa has any of his delinquent traits, and her grandmother is Aphrodite, a gracious goddess who I have known my whole life. Odessa is eloquent, ambitious and kind. She has chosen a life of chastity, for pity's sake."

"That does not mean she doesn't have the propensity to incite her own kind of havoc." Poseidon smirked, and Lexi had no problem reading between the lines.

"Tell me something, Poseidon. Why do you think so many goddesses have chosen a celibate lifestyle?"

Poseidon let her question linger as he pulled through the gates of the titan's palace, waving to the centaur guards on their way past. As they traveled down a tree-lined road, he finally deigned a response. "I suppose they aren't willing to risk their hearts if they find themselves emotionally attached to their sexual partner. Gods traditionally keep emotions separate from sex. It makes life simpler."

Poseidon pursed his lips, looking uncomfortable with her line of questioning, and he remained tight-lipped until they pulled up to a large carriage house.

"Does it really make life simpler?" she pressed. "According to mortal texts, your list of consorts is as long as Zeus's. How many of those goddesses have you had feelings for?"

"More than you might think." Poseidon locked Lexi in a pointed gaze, as if he intended to frighten her.

Lexi had spent more than two years desensitizing herself to his eyes, which seemed to have been gifted from the sea, and she made it a habit not to stare too long. At the moment, she saw something else lingering behind his natural godly lust. Was it heartache?

A satyr hurried over and bowed to Poseidon, breaking the silent communication between them. "Welcome, Lord Poseidon. My lady. I would be happy to secure your chariot."

Poseidon nodded and handed over the reins. The seriousness had been put to rest, and he was focused on his duties again. But as far as Lexi was concerned, Poseidon had admitted to being hurt by a lover, probably more than one.

The palace of the titans was a carbon copy of the palace of the gods, boasting the same ornamental embellishments, gold-trimmed porticos, soaring ceilings, and a plethora of nymphs and satyrs attending to any god who might require them. The titans were not the only residents of the palace either, and Lexi enjoyed engaging in polite greetings with a few of the younger gods she recognized. She knew Clary lived there with her mother, Mnemosyne, having chosen a life unhindered by marriage or commitment. It was the norm for gods, and it was a life Lexi knew she could never embrace. Still, she liked Clary and hoped their paths would cross while she was there.

A golden-haired nymph greeted them as they entered the grand foyer, performing a deep curtsy at their feet. "My lord and lady. How may I assist you today?"

"I am here to see Phoebe. My name is Lexi. I believe she's expecting me."

The nymph's eyes blinked with recognition. "Oh, yes. Her grand ladyship has instructed the palace staff to escort you to the scroll room upon your arrival. Please, follow me."

The cheerful nymph ushered them a short distance, then stopped in front of a door to curtsy again. "The scroll room, my lady. I will fetch Phoebe straight away," she said before turning her sparkly eyes on Poseidon. "Does his lordship wish to wait in the hall or take respite in the courtyard? The nymphs are at your service shall you require anything. Anything at all."

The nymph fluttered her eyelashes as she peered up through them, making her intentions more than obvious. Poseidon appeared embarrassed, lifting his chin as if he was affronted by her suggestive tone.

"I am capable of finding ways to entertain myself while I wait, thank you. But you can fetch me a glass of merlot. And something for Lady Lexi as well." He turned to Lexi, softening his formal stance. "Would you like a beverage, my lady? You look a touch pale."

Lexi pressed her hand to her face, feeling self-conscious. She had been ignoring her body as it protested the slight breakfast and nonexistent lunch she'd eaten. 

"Oh, we have been instructed to bring her ladyship refreshments," said the nymph.

"Could you make sure there's some kind of bread or puff pastry included with those refreshments, please," Lexi added.

"As you wish." The nymph pushed the heavy door open, making the task look easy despite her small stature, and Poseidon helped her hold it as Lexi walked in.

"I will not be far, my lady," he said, catching her by the arm as she passed. "I will never be far."

Lexi smiled politely as she continued into the room, and when the door closed behind her, all thoughts of Poseidon were forgotten. The room she'd been led to could rival any room in Hogwarts castle. The walls appeared to function less like walls and more like receptacles for hundreds of rolled documents. Hence, the apt title of Scroll Room. What sort of information did the documents contain? The bylaws of Olympus? The prophecies of Gaia? The architect specs for the palace?

As Lexi ventured in for a closer look, she realized many of the receptacles were covered by glass doors with tiny keyholes. Who had control of all those keys? Why did Phoebe want to meet her here? Had the nymph somehow led her to the wrong room? The door clicked open and Phoebe entered like a ghost traveling through walls. Lexi startled and quickly walked away from the forbidden section.

"Lexi, how nice of you to indulge me with a visit," Phoebe said as she padded toward a velvet high-back chair. Appearing out of nowhere, the same blonde nymph scooted agilely around the titaness, carrying a tray laden with food and drink. She set it on a table between two velvet chairs, her eyes twinkling at Lexi as she gestured to a plate of puff pastries, baked to golden brown perfection and still steaming.

Lexi eyeballed the pastry tray and mouthed her thanks to the nymph before offering thanks to Phoebe. "I'm honored by your invitation, Phoebe."

"Please, sit. We have important matters to discuss. I am sure you will want to return home to your mate before night falls." As Phoebe made herself comfortable, the nymph took her cue to bow out of the room, and Lexi slid into a matching high back. "Help yourself to tea. I requested hibiscus and red clover today."

"That sounds delicious." Lexi couldn't care less what kind of tea she'd be drinking, her mouth watered as she watched cheese ooze from the puff pastries. Should she help herself or wait for the titaness to start?

"Take your fill, Lexi," Phoebe said. "You're going to need your strength to see you through the rest of the day."

Lexi loaded a plate with food as she speculated if Phoebe knew how to read minds. What exactly did the oracle want to discuss? Were they going to rehash what was said at the council meeting? Did Phoebe plan to give her the keys to the forbidden section? When their teacups had been filled, and Lexi had indulged in two puff pastries, which were absolutely divine, Phoebe sat back in her chair and began the conversation.

"Lexi, I asked you here to impart information that is known by a privileged few. You impress me as a goddess with her heart in the right place, which goes far in regard to trust, and given that you have a large role to play, I feel you need to be among those privileged few."

Lexi nodded her understanding, feeling slightly worried about indulging in two puff pastries and that wedge of melon. Despite Phoebe's reputation for dramatics, the titaness was highly regarded, and Lexi knew she was in deep.

"Let me begin by saying I was not completely forthcoming at the council meeting today," Phoebe went on. "And I did this for good reason. The Olympians are an opinionated lot, to the point of becoming debilitated by their staunch beliefs. I have done my best to relay Gaia's messages without inciting riots, but even gods have fears. For our part, the titans have made countless efforts to guide them back to the path they were originally designed to follow. The result of our pursuits has not been as we hoped."

Phoebe paused to dip a cookie delicately into her cup and take a small bite, smiling in apparent response to the flavor.

"The message from Gaia spoke of the titans returning to the stars if the gods did not redirect their focus from selfish gluttony to utilizing their gifts the way they were intended. This message could be interpreted as a foretelling of the titans' imminent demise, or one can interpret it simply as a metaphor. We are eternal, and as long as the gods live, so too shall Gaia."

"So, you let the Olympians believe this was a prophecy of the titans' actual death so they would change their ways? Don't you think some of them will figure that out?"

Lexi bit her lip, hoping she hadn't offended Phoebe by questioning her methods, and the smile that overtook Phoebe's face had Lexi exhaling a breathy sigh.

"One or two may possibly see through the veil, but those are not the gods we are concerned about. It is Zeus who has abused his power too long. He is like the branch of a snakewood tree, unbending and nearly unbreakable. Power like that can easily corrupt, and only the most altruistic, compassionate gods should be afforded such control. I am afraid Zeus abandoned those traits long ago, and he has brought a number of other gods into his ring of fire. I am not claiming that your father is a tyrant. He does exhibit kindness and generosity toward his subjects, but he turns a deaf ear on issues that don't affect him, particularly those issues affecting the mortals. Furthermore, he has specifically chosen to ignore the prophecy that sees his position usurped by one of his offspring."

Phoebe hovered over her teacup, blowing across the rim as she stared through a picture window. Although the palace gardens were colorful and majestic, with finely-pruned Cypress trees and marble statuary, Lexi didn't think Phoebe was distracted by the landscape. She was giving Lexi a chance to process her words.

"There is a prophecy that predicts Zeus will be overthrown... like he did to his father?"

"Not overthrown, as such. He will be succeeded. Gaia imparted this telling bit of information to me approximately twenty-two years ago, and I passed it on to Zeus hoping he might take heed and respond appropriately, but he is convinced that no god could ever exceed his might, and he has continued on his path of righteous, dictatorial control."

"And you think threatening him with the death of the titans will make him heed the old prophecy and have him turning over a new leaf? Maybe he's just hunkering down for the fight." Lexi continued her inquiry, nearly forgetting her manners. Phoebe wasn't fazed.

"Sadly, there is little that will encourage Zeus to turn over a new leaf, but the serious nature of this current prophecy will force him to act. Alas, that is where we are at. A tree that is not given proper care will wither. The gods have lost sight of this."

Lexi had managed to polish off everything on her plate as she listened to Phoebe, and she sat with it on her lap as she absorbed the information. Was there a specific reason Phoebe had chosen her to divulge all this? Was it because she had volunteered to lead this new charge? "Why do you think the prophecy hasn't been fulfilled yet? The one you received twenty-two years ago."

"Because the one to fulfill it has not been ready to do so, until now." Phoebe met Lexi's curious gaze as she filled her cup with more tea. "You are wondering why I have chosen to impart this information to you. I can see it in your eyes. They are quite telling and beautiful."

"Thank you. They're my mom's eyes."

"I had assumed as much. A most fortunate inheritance. Lexi, do you know that your arrival here has been an immense blessing to all of us. Your gifts are extremely rare, which surely you have become aware of. What you may not know is that they came from Gaia herself. She bestowed her own gifts of revival, resurrection and creation onto you, and she did this because she felt the gods needed a living representation of her. You are the one to lead us from here, Lexi. You are the one the prophecy speaks of."

The teacup in Lexi's hand clanked against her plate, and she set both carefully onto the tray. Surely, Phoebe was mistaking Lexi for some other god who knew a lot more about Olympus and the bylaws and overthrowing the most powerful being in godkind. Ugh. Lexi rubbed her belly, feeling the food she'd just sucked down churn into a mass.

Phoebe stretched toward Lexi and pressed her hand against Lexi's belly, catching her in an insightful gaze. "You are much stronger than you realize, and I believe you have more to offer if you will take the time to test your gifts. Why don't you take this information home and share it with your mate. I am sure he will be thrilled to know of your divine connection to Gaia. And I believe it is time you both talked about your future as parents of the blessed life growing inside you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

407K 32K 43
Light and dark. Balance and chaos. Fire and ice. The final battle has begun. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Following a journey to Hell and back, the vam...
6.9M 137K 60
Alexis Gardiner has been through the normal ups and downs of a seventeen year old girl, albeit a few pluses along the way but that's beside the point...
45.8K 2K 91
[COMPLETED] Just over a decade ago, Princess Amory of Vrovaria saved the life of a young pup and watched the fiery overtaking of her Kingdom, all wit...
3M 44.2K 67
"You want daddy to f*ck you, hard and rough then reward you with his c*m, is that it, little slut?!" "Yes, Daddy" * MONALISA I thought I had a probl...