Falling From Cloud Nine (Thir...

By RyleyBridges

Her boyfriend, Ryder Lynn is in the army. Her sister, Rachel Berry (now Hudson) is married to Finn Hudson wit... More

Falling From Cloud Nine (Third Book in The TNB Series)
Chapter 1 ~ First Day of Senior Year
Chapter 2 ~ The Auditions For New Members
Chapter 4 ~ Little Mix Versus One Direction
Chapter 5 ~ Musical Preparations
Chapter 6 ~ The One With The Hospital & Bonding
Chapter 7 ~ We're All In This Together
Chapter 8 ~ Campaign, New Friends & He's Back
Chapter 9 ~ Happiness To Heartbreak To Victory
Chapter 10 ~ Everyone Has Different Ways To Recover
Chapter 11 ~ A Confusing Christmas & New York Christmas
Chapter 12 ~ A Super Sadie Hawkins
Chapter 13 ~ Songs That Make Us Laugh
Chapter 14 ~ Valentine's Day...And A Vampire Sub?
Chapter 15 ~ Regionals Time!
Chapter 16 ~ The Future And Stuff Like That
Chapter 17 ~ Stuff Changes For People
Chapter 18 ~ The Reunion of Rydley
Chapter 19 ~ Sometimes Proms Can Really Be Dramatic
Chapter 20 ~ Feeling Good In NYC
Chapter 21 ~ Goodbye to McKinley

Chapter 3 ~ Ryley Versus Feelings & Sad Songs

1.4K 30 8
By RyleyBridges

I hope you guys are enjoying this story so far.
Chuck reference title: Every Chuck episode is 'Chuck Versus...'
Enjoy!
--------------------------------------------------

Ryley sat down on the bleachers of the sports field. She liked to come to the bleachers sometimes just to think and watch the practices the football team and Cheerios have. On the right end of the field, the football team, the McKinley Titans, were taking up that end and practicing. New members seemed to be trying for the team. She spotted Lucas taking off the football helmet with a smile towards Coach Shannon Beiste. He might've made the team. She also spotted one of the new Glee guys, Zach, taking off his helmet but seeming a bit alone.
She looked down the other end to see the Cheerios practicing a perfect routine with Coach Sue Sylvester screaming nonsense about how they must think this is tough when she's been through god knows what. The crazy cheerleading coach is also shouting different nicknames at the different Cheerios.
One of the new Glee girls, Samantha, seemed to be trying out of the Cheerios, performing flips that were as good as Jake's ones last year. She was good and Coach Sue seemed impressed by her gymnastic abilities.
Ryley went down the bleacher steps with her backpack on her back. Lucas noticed her and went towards the bleachers but stayed on the field.
"How's football?" Ryley asks.
"As good as I thought it would. Beiste thinks I have some real skills. She told me if I do well during next weeks game, I'll be the quarterback." Lucas says with a smile. Something about his smile makes her smile. It's a pretty adorable smile.
"Is it worth moving from Dalton to play?" Ryley asks, leaning on the bleachers barrier.
"Totally. It's pretty awesome playing football for McKinley. It's not the only reason I came here though." Lucas says.
"What's the other reason?" Ryley asks. Her eye contact connects with Lucas' for a moment and they seem to have a moment just looking into each other's eyes.
"Um," Lucas says, breaking their silence, "I have to admit I was really excited about coming here because I wanted to get to know you better. You're awesome, beautiful and an amazing singer. You were so awesome the other day during that performance in the courtyard."
"Thanks. It's good having another friend around while I'm without Ryder." Ryley says. She feels like she's being punched in the stomach when Lucas' smile fades away. She knows that he has feelings for her but right now, all they can be is friends. She feels a bit guilty friend-zoning him.
"I'm glad I'm around." Lucas says.
"Tanner! Get back over here!" Beiste shouts.
"Gotta run." Lucas says then rushes over to Beiste and the football team.
Ryley sighs. She walks up the bleachers and takes a seat towards the top of the bleachers. She looks out across the football field and begins to hear that imaginary band playing in her head.

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away
Now it looks as though they're here to stay
Oh, I believe in yesterday

She spots Lucas playing a game of football with his team mates for practice. He spots her after he scores a touch down and smiles at her, sending her a quick wave. She waves back.

Suddenly, I'm not half the girl I used to be
There's a shadow hanging over me.
Oh, yesterday came suddenly

She begins to think about Ryder. He texted her on the first day of Senior Year and hasn't since. it has been a few days though.

Why he had to go I don't know he wouldn't say
I said something wrong, now I long for yesterday

Hey-Ye-Ye-Yesterday, love was such an easy game to play
Now I need a place to hide away
Oh, I believe in yesterday

The whole backdrop changes to the choir room. Ryley stands in the choir room, singing to the New Directions in the seats.

Why he had to go I don't know he wouldn't say
I said something wrong, now I long for yesterday

Hey-Ye-Oh-Yesterday, love was such an easy game to play
Now I need a place to hide away
Oh, I believe in yesterday
Uh uh uh uh uh uh

The club clap for her and Ryley just smiles softly at her.
"Was that song about anything in particular, Ryley?" Finn asks.
"Yeah," Ryley says then clears her throat, "It's kind of about me missing Ryder. He texted me on the first day of senior year and I may sound a bit like an overly attached girlfriend but I miss him. He hasn't texted me since or talked to me."
"He's probably busy, Ryley." Finn says.
"Is he too busy to talk to his girlfriend though? The girlfriend he says he loves more than anything." Ryley says, getting a little angry.
"Ryley-" Angie starts, sounding sincere.
"Not get involved, Angie." Ryley says then storms out of the choir room. She rushes out, feeling the urge to cry. She then bumps into someone. That someone is Lucas.
"Hey Ryley," Lucas starts then notices that she's going to cry, "What's wrong?"
"I just need a hug." Ryley says, hugging Lucas.
Lucas hugs her back.

--------------------------------------------------------

"Lynn, there's a call for you!" A fellow trainee shouts in the cafeteria.
Ryder is a bit shocked. He thinks it must be Ryley calling but it's not. Once he reaches the phone and answers it, he hears Angie's voice after he says "Hello?".
"Angie, why're you calling?" Ryder asks.
"I just wanted to say that you should text Ryley or call her. She's getting really emotional." Angie says.
"It's only been a few days since I texted her last." Ryder says.
"I know. But with you not calling her and talking to her more, she's getting closer to Lucas Tanner." Angie says.
"Lucas was the one at the Halloween party last year, right? He's also the one who Ryley kept talking to last year, right?" Ryder asks.
"Yes." Angie says.
"Maybe I'll call her after this talk," Ryder says, "I'm glad you called, Angie."
"I'm just sticking by my best friend. Bye Ryder." Angie says.
"Bye." Ryder says then hangs up. After a few moments, he picks the phone back up and dials the Berry house number.
"Hello?" A voice answers.
"Ryley?" Ryder asks.
"Ryder! Oh my god! I've missed you so much." Ryley says.
Ryder chuckles a little, "I've missed you so much too."
The two begin talking. Ryley tells Ryder about the new Glee Club members and how her first week as a senior at McKinley's been. Ryder tells her about army training and Jason Cooper. Ryley seems impressed at the long list of Jason's travels around the world.
"One day, I want to go around the world. Visit the Eiffel Tower, walk the Great Wall of China, check the time on Big Ben, eat sushi in Japan, go to beaches in Australia and check out the nature of New Zealand." Ryder explains.
"I've always wanted to go those places." Ryley says.
"Maybe we could go together." Ryder says.
"We could." Ryley says.
"I love you." Ryder says.
"I love you too." Ryley says.
"I've got to get going. I'll call you when I can." Ryder says.
"I'll be expecting that call when you can call me." Ryley says.
"Bye." Ryder says.
"Bye." Ryley says. She then hangs up.

----------------------------------------------------------

On the Friday at the end of the first week of the new semester, Ryley walks down the hallway with her phone pressed to her ear. Rachel was on the other end.
"How's Senior year going so far?" Rachel asks.
"Pretty good. We have a full club of 14 members for Glee Club and I've made a new friend. Well, technically he's someone I met last year." Ryley asks.
"Is he cute?" Rachel asks.
"Rach..." Ryley starts, reaching her locker and opening it up, resting her phone between her ear and shoulder.
"Sorry," Rachel says, "I may be a married woman but I can still ask if guys are cute or not."
"I won't tell Finn." Ryley says.
"So is this guy cute or not?" Rachel asks.
Ryley smiles to herself, "He is."
"But you're with Ryder so you can't make a move." Rachel says.
"I don't even know if I like Lucas yet." Ryley says.
"Lucas is a cute name." Rachel says.
"I know." Ryley says.
"Just figure out. I'm still rooting for you and Ryder but if you want to be with Lucas, I'm happy for you." Rachel says.
"Thanks Rach. It's always good talking to you." Ryley says, closing her locker after getting out some books.
"Back at you, sis. Enjoy your day." Rachel says.
"Enjoy yours too. Bye." Ryley says.
"Bye." Rachel says then hangs up.
"Ryley!" A voice calls up, racing up to her. She turns to see Lucas with his bag over one shoulder. He's wearing a McKinley letterman jacket. Something about him wearing it reminds her of when Ryder would wear it.
"Hey Lucas." Ryley says.
"We've got English class together so let's get going." Lucas says.
"Yeah." Ryley says, seeming a bit distant after recieving a bit of a memory of Ryder looking handsome and sexy in a letterman jacket.
"You okay?" Lucas asks.
"Yeah," Ryley says, "I'm fine. Let's just get to English."

-------------------------------------------------------------

In Glee Club that afternoon, Finn decides to take charge and organise a group number.
"Study the song sheets and then we'll head to the auditorium to perform it." Finn says.
Members know the song and hum the tune as they study the lyrics. After about an hour of memorises and learning the words, the club head into the auditorium.
They stand around the auditorium stage with Finn sitting in the seats.

[Ryley (with Angie):]
(Say something, I'm giving up on you)
I'll be the one, if you want me to.
Anywhere, I would've followed you.
(Say something, I'm giving up on you)

Zach takes charge to lead the boys.

[Zach with New Directions Boys:]
And I am feeling so small.
It was over my head
I know nothing at all.

Samantha leads the girls.

[Samantha with New Directions Girls:]
And I will stumble and fall.
I'm still learning to love
Just starting to crawl.

Nate decides to sing the chorus with the New Directions giving him back up.

[Nate with New Directions:]
Say something, I'm giving up on you.
I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you.
Anywhere, I would've followed you.
Say something, I'm giving up on you.

[Ryley & Angie:]
And I will swallow my pride.
You're the one that I love
And I'm saying goodbye.

[New Directions:]
Say something, I'm giving up on you.
And I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you.
And anywhere, I would have followed you.
Oh-oh-oh-oh say something, I'm giving up on you.

[Lucy:]
Say something, I'm giving up on you.
Say something...

Finn stands up from his seat and claps for them.
"That was beautiful guys." Finn says.
"Why'd you choose that song, Finn?" Ryley asks.
"It's just a beautiful song. It's good and catchy." Finn says.
"I agree. I love this song." Angie says.
"I love it too." Ryley says.
Most of the club seem to agree that they love it and leave the auditorium. Except for Ryley who just hangs around in the auditorium. She's left alone in the auditorium.
"You guys were pretty awesome." A voice says, shocking her a bit from the top of the auditorium staircase.
"Uh, thanks, Lucas." Ryley says.
Lucas makes his way down the stairs and onto the stage, "This a pretty awesome place."
"It's one of the few places that I feel happy and I can think in." Ryley says.
"Then it's got to be awesome. I'm more happy when I'm with people I care for or playing football." Lucas explains.
"How do you feel now?" Ryley asks.
"I'm with someone I care about so I feel happy." Lucas says, he grabs her hand.
"Lucas-" Ryley says.
"I know what you're going to say; you have a boyfriend and you love him. A lot. But you should know that we may've only been proper friends for a week now but we talked quite a bit last year through text and other Facebook. I'm crazy about you. You should really know that." Lucas explains. He lifts her hand to his lips and kisses it delicately. He then returns it to her side then leaves the auditorium.
Ryley takes a deep breath. She thinks about Ryder for a moment and a song comes to her to sing about Ryder. Not Lucas. He's only a friend. She loves Ryder and has a kind of perfect song to sing about that. She picks her guitar and plays the song with a band in her head playing in the background of her guitar playing and singing

Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street

Faster than the wind, passionate as sin ending so suddenly
Loving him is like trying to change your mind once you're already flying through the free fall
Like the colors in autumn, so bright just before they lose it all

She imagines Ryder in the seats, watching her singing to him. He has a huge smile on his face. She smiles back at imaginary him.

Losing him was blue like I'd never known
Missing him was dark grey all along
Forgetting him was like trying to know somebody you never met
But loving him was red
Loving him was red

Touching him was like realizing all you ever wanted was right there in front of you
Memorizing him was as easy as knowing all the words to your old favorite song
Fighting with him was like trying to solve a crossword and realizing there's no right answer
Regretting him was like wishing you never found out that love could be that strong

Suddenly, imaginary Lucas is next to Ryder. He is also watching her but he has a look of sadness on his face.

Losing him was blue like I'd never known
Missing him was dark grey all along
Forgetting him was like trying to know somebody you never met
But loving him was red
Oh, red
Burning red

Remembering him comes in flashbacks and echoes
Tell myself it's time now, gotta let go
But moving on from him is impossible
When I still see it all in my head
Burning red
Loving him was red

Oh, losing him was blue like I'd never known
Missing him was dark grey all along
Forgetting him was like trying to know somebody you never met
'Cause loving him was red
Yeah, yeah, red
We're burning red

And that's why he's spinnin' 'round in my head
Comes back to me, burning red
Yeah, yeah

Both the imaginary Ryder and Lucas' disappear.

His love was like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street

Ryley puts the guitar down on the stage and leaves the auditorium, turning the lights off as she leaves.

------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for Reading!
I'm trying to make this story quite long so that's why this is still in the first week of the semester.
Songs Used:
Yesterday - The Beatles
Say Something - A Great Big World (I've loved this song for months now but people are only just starting to listen to it now because Christina Aguleira featured on a newer version of it. Also, my new babies, Alex & Sierra, sung it on X Factor USA and THEY WERE PERFECT! Performance over there ---->)
Red - Taylor Swift (Thank Restless Road and their awesome performance of this song for wanting me to use this. I love Restless Road)

Vote!
Comment!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

193K 6.8K 35
Kurt Hummel's life had led up to the very moment he took the chance to escape to the big city, New York. Blaine Anderson's morning had led up to the...
271K 7K 45
Imagine your soul mate's name is 'tatted' in black on your arm at birth.Imagine, when you meet them it turns from black to blue and then when you two...
8.7K 189 25
Rachel Berry was the most likely girl to make it on broadway while been on William Mckinley High school, yet by the death of her boyfriend Finn she h...
269K 6.7K 104
Kurt was into performing. Poppy was into sport. Growing up, it had always been as simple as that for Kurt Hummel's younger sister, and boarding scho...