Loving Olivia

By MCRomances

Nico Durant is living a lonely life as the remaining member of his household. Not only did his twin sister an... More

Introduction
Chapter 1 - The Lone Wolf
Chapter 2 - Sucker Punched
Chapter 3 - Hugs & Ice Cream
Chapter 4 - I'm the Captain Now
Chapter 5 - The Gatinha
Chapter 6 - The Teddy Bear Emergency
Chapter 7 - Change of Plans
Chapter 8 - The Babysitting Pimp
Chapter 9 - Oh Brother
Chapter 10 - I'm Here Now
Chapter 11 - Playing House
Chapter 12 - Breathe
Chapter 13 - The Past Finds You
Chapter 14 - Right with You
Chapter 15 - Meet the Parents
Chapter 16 - Nico Beach
Chapter 17 - Scars
Chapter 18 - The Dark of the Morning
Chapter 19 - Not Enough
Chapter 20 - On the Bench
Chapter 21 - Next Friday
Chapter 22 - Back to Us
Chapter 23 - Make Love, Not War
Chapter 24 - Just Feel
Chapter 25 - Can We Go Home Now?
Chapter 26 - It Gets Better
Chapter 28 - I Can't Lose You
Chapter 29 - The Decision
Epilogue
Acknowledgments
Character Interview with Olivia & Nico!
Other Books

Chapter 27 - What About Us?

62.2K 2.5K 142
By MCRomances

Olivia

I knew the happy bubble I was in would end when I got back home. I just never expected it to burst like the dot-com collapse of the early 2000s.

Everything that goes up must come down. Falling feels like flying until you hit bottom. Or in my case, until you receive the worst news possible from your mom.

This time, there were no frills. No special outing or news-softening. She just came out and said it three days after I came back from DC, shocking the hell out of me and making me rethink everything.

I've been sitting on this information for twenty-four hours, and it's already eating at me. I thought that if I gave myself some time to process it on my own first, it would make me less emotional, but it's only making me more anxious. I also wanted to wait until after Nico's game on Friday to not interfere with it, but it's no longer an option. I can't wait any longer, even if it's a day away.

Especially since Nico decided to surprise me and came over after his soccer practice today. In the past we haven't hung out much during the middle of the week because of our schedules, so it was very unexpected when he showed up at my door freshly showered and looking extremely sexy.

Not only that, but he was sweet enough to offer to help me with my homework I was working on in the living room. Any other day and I would be swooning all over him, but every time I look at him I feel this pain in my chest growing bigger and bigger.

"Olivia, would you want to come to the game tomorrow since you're not babysitting?" Nico asks me casually as he flips through my Special Education textbook.

"Yes, of course," I respond.

"Cool. You can wear my number," he smiles at me. "Also, I was thinking we could go to dinner afterwards or grab a few drinks downtown? Just me and you?"

Gosh, why does he have to be so darn cute all the time? I kind of know what he's getting at too. It's no secret that after DC we've both been thinking about taking this relationship to the next level, and tomorrow would provide the perfect opportunity given we'll be completely alone and have the entire weekend to ourselves. And I do. I want to so badly.

"Um. Yeah," I answer a bit nervously.

"We don't have to if you're not up for it. I mean, we can always try for another time," he says hesitantly, and I know for a fact he's not talking about dinner or drinks anymore.

I suddenly freak out, thinking he's getting me all wrong. It's just that I was planning on telling him the news tomorrow and I have no idea how he's going to take it, but I'm pretty sure it's going to interfere with our plans. Maybe I can tell him after? No, that would be a million times worse. I have to tell him before. I have to tell him now.

"My mom is moving back to Boston," I blurt out.

Nico looks at me apprehensively from the opposite side of the coffee table. He's actually sitting on the floor with his head propped up against the couch, but he immediately straightens up.

"What? Why?" he asks in alarm.

God, I haven't even gotten to the worst part yet, and I don't know what to say. I take a deep breath, trying to figure out the best way to explain this.

"It was always my parent's plan to go back. When we moved here, it was originally supposed to be for two years, but the company kept extending my dad's contract. When he got sick and lost his job, they thought it would be best to stay because the health care was more affordable here and they wanted us to finish school. But now my mom doesn't have a real reason to stay anymore. Andres is moving out once he graduates next semester so that just leaves me. She thinks we could use a fresh start."

"We?" Nico says worriedly.

I gulp and it takes every ounce of my willpower to say, "She thinks I should go with her too."

Nico's face pales just as mine did when my mom told me the same thing last night.

"When?"

"In the summer."

"Do you want to go?" he asks, looking terrified.

"I don't know," I reply in all honesty. "On paper it seems like I should, but I don't know if I want to. Plus, I would have to transfer to a school there, and I don't know if they'll still take me."

"They will," Nico says softly. He drops his head into his hands, completely avoiding my gaze. He doesn't say anything else or ask any more questions. I don't know what else to say either, and this heaviness falls between us like I've never felt before.

The room becomes silent, and I wish I knew what he was thinking. It's not like him to be the quiet one. I'm the quiet one.

"Nico," I murmur, but he doesn't move from his position or acknowledge me.

I drop to the floor next to him and soothe his back. He exhales sharply as I rub his shoulders and run my fingers through his hair. He surprises me by reaching behind him and clutching my hand. I feel his body tremble against me, and I don't understand what's happening until he lets out a shaky breath. My heart clutches in an instant, and it feels like it's about to break when I wrap my arms around him.

He finally lifts his head and rests it against my shoulder, pressing my body tightly against his as we come closer together. I hear him sniffle, but what really kills me is when I feel a teardrop on my shirt. No one has ever cried for me before, and it tears me apart.

"Nico," I repeat, but my voice cracks and I'm rendered speechless.

He pulls away from me and quickly wipes his cheeks. "Sorry," he whispers, looking embarrassed for the first time since I've known him.

"It's okay, Nico."

He looks up at me for the first time since I delivered the news. His eyes are sad and defeated, like he's already come to accept that I'm leaving.

"I haven't decided yet," I remind him, clutching his hand.

He shakes his head. "You owe it to yourself to go, Olivia. It would be stupid if you didn't."

"Why? My whole life is here. This is the life I've chosen."

"You only chose to stay because of your dad. You would've gone if he hadn't been sick, and now you're getting a second chance to do what you really wanted in the first place."

"Yeah, but things have changed since then, Nico. I don't know if I want that anymore. It makes sense for my mom to go. Her sisters are there, she'll probably get a better job, she can start over. Nothing is holding her back. It's different for me."

"It's not different. Nothing is holding you back either. It's your future, Olivia. Think about it. You would be so much better off if you graduated from a prestigious college in Boston."

"Not necessarily," I disagree. "I can still do the things I want to do here. What's the difference?"

"Olivia. It would be a disservice, not only for you, but for everybody else that dreams they could have that kind of opportunity. When you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room."

I sigh in frustration, knowing he has a point, but also hating that he's not seeing this from my perspective at all. He's treating it like a math equation, but there's so much more to life than basing your decisions on statistics and pie charts.

"What about us?" I ask him. I find it hard to believe that he's not even considering our relationship as part of this.

"I don't know," he answers curtly, looking away from me.

"What don't you know?" I ask, trying to remain calm.

He sighs and stands up from the couch, walking away from me. I don't understand his sudden change in behavior. It's not what I was expecting at all.

"What don't you know, Nico?" I repeat more forcefully.

He doesn't answer, which only irritates me further. I stand up and walk over to the kitchen where he's standing, leaning against the counter. "So that's it? You're just giving up? You're not going to fight for us?"

"Olivia, I can't ask you to stay. I can't hold you back. It wouldn't be fair to you. Please understand."

"Because it's the noble thing to do? Fuck being noble. Tell me how you really feel. Tell me you want me to stay. Ask me to stay!" I say angrily.

"I can't, Olivia! You're making this more difficult than it needs to be!" he yells.

I flinch at his words. He's never yelled at me before, and I've never seen this cold and distant look on his face.

But before I can even react, the front door swings open and my brother comes rushing in. Oh dear lord. I hope he didn't hear us from outside.

"What the fuck, Durant?" he says, getting in between us as he faces Nico. "I could hear you yelling at my sister from the fucking elevator."

"Olivia, I'm sorry," Nico immediately says.

"Well, I don't give a damn," Andres says to Nico. "You don't yell at her. Ever."

"I know and I'm sorry. Olivia, please talk to me," Nico says, looking remorseful. He tries to step around Andres to get to me, but he stops him.

"You should leave," Andres says.

"Dude, c'mon. This is between me and Olivia. Stay out of it."

"She doesn't want to talk to you," he replies.

"What the hell do you know?"

"Do you see her responding to you? She's silent because she needs some space."

"Go on, tell me about Olivia like I don't know her," Nico responds angrily.

"Stop! Both of you," I say, immediately getting both of their attention. If I don't stop this, there will be fists involved pretty soon. "Stop deciding what's best for me. Only I can decide that. Not either of you."

Nico's expression falls, and I'm afraid I've hurt him. But he's hurt me too tonight. It hurts that he's given up on us, that he's willing to just walk away after everything we've been through. That he won't fight for us. He thinks I'm making this more difficult than it needs to be. Well maybe I should make it easier. If that is what he wants.

I swallow the massive lump in my throat and walk straight back to my room, shutting the door behind me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57 6 11
Emilia Díaz, a 24 year old woman who has been tasked with caring for her younger brother, Moises. Her parents were Mexican immigrants who moved to th...
15.3K 1.5K 49
Lila and Sam. Sam and Lila. Ever since the Alvarez twins were born, that's how it always was. It was always Lila and Sam. Always Sam and Lila. Lila...
4.3K 467 28
[ unedited; completed ] Sometimes, we feel like we want to be someone else and do not notice how lucky we already are. ...
Stay By hi

Teen Fiction

1K 29 27
Scarlett Martinez has had a tough few years. After the passing of her father a flip switched in her and she lost all of her friends. Going from the R...