Wattpad Fantasy Writer's Advi...

By ELatimer

Tips on writing, plotting, publishing, gaining fans here on Wattpad and more! More

Wattpad Fantasy Writer's Advice
Publishing a Book
What NOT to do/Rant
What is a Literary Agent?
Copyright and Plagiarism
Wattpad Observation
A Little Note on Dialogue
So You Want To Be An Author?
In Defense of Teen Fiction
Writing Realistic Characters
I'm Plotting Against You!
Oh Behave! Online Behavior and "Netiquette"
Beating the Dreaded Writer's Block
What is a "Strong" Female Character?
Writing Questions and Answers
Getting More Reads on Wattpad
I Finished My Story! Now What?
It's a Supernatural Thing - Contest

Do We Whitewash Our Characters?

6K 335 230
By ELatimer

Just for fun, let's throw out a really really loaded topic. Because...you know, contraversy.

When I was at the bookstore the other day I stood in the "Teen Readers" section, staring at all the pretty shiny book covers, and you know what stood out to me? 

Oh god, it's all the same.

I mean, there on the shelves were rows and rows of gaunt, pale girls in flowing ball gowns. There were a few different covers there, covers without people on them, and even one cover where the character looked like she might be Japanese. But that was it.

Skinny white girls in ball gowns. 

Mind you, I have no issue with skinny white girls in ball gowns. They're perfectly lovely. The issue is that it appears to be the only type of character represented here. Where are the other cultures? Where are the bigger girls? Heck, where are the boys?

And when you actually start READING the books it doesn't get a lot better. Where are the LGBTQ main characters? Where are the main characters that come from different races and backgrounds? Also, I for one would love to read a book about a young girl who is genuinly not the beauty norm. I mean, plain or unattractive or "bigger". I don't think I've ever come across a teen book where the character isn't secretly stunning or something, or she magically becomes beautiful.

To Top it Off

There has been public outcry more than once, because publishers have whitewashed covers. Taking a black character and portraying her (or him) as white on the cover. It's nasty and awful and they shouldn't be doing it, but they do it for a reason, because books with skinny white girls (in ball gowns apparently) on the front are statistically proven to sell more copies.

There's something seriously wrong here. How do we change this?

I truly believe it starts with us. We change the way we think, even if we're thinking that way subconciously. Even if we pick up the whitewashed cover because that's what we know, and we relate. We can still realize what we're doing, and we can work to change the "norm".

Let's Talk About the Hunger Games

Does anyone remember when the casting for the Hunger Games movie came out? There was the normal complaining. The "she's not how I pictured her" and then there was the issue with Cinna and Rue.

The internets were enraged. Numerous tweets about how Cinna and Rue were "not supposed to be black".

Really internets?

Let's look at how Cinna and Rue were described:

Cinna:

"The door opens and a young man who must be Cinna enters. I'm taken aback by how normal he looks. Most of the stylists they interview on TV are so dyed, stenciled and surgically altered they're grotesque. But Cinna's close-cropped hair appears its natural shade of brown. He's in a simple black shirt and pants. The only concession to self-alteration seems to be metallic gold eyeliner that has been applied with a light hand. It brings out the flecks of gold in his green eyes."

and

"I expected someone flamboyant,(ect). Cinna has met none of these expectations."

Now, Cinna was not actually described that much. I admit that I didn't picture him the way he was cast. Which brings me to my question...do we whitewash characters in our heads? Is white the default thought for most of us when we read a character?  I think I assumed with the description of green eyes that he was caucasion.

As a writer, I think I would have made it a little more clear.

STILL, the reaction from many readers went over the line and came across as racist. Even with remarks that SEEMED less harmless, like "But he's gay. I was expecting him to be flamboyant". 

That brings up several problems:

1) They assume all gay men are flamboyant

2) They assume black men CANNOT be flamboyant (or gay).

3) They've clearly not read the book carefully, since Collins writes specifically that he is NOT flamboyant.

With Rue the description is more obvious:

"She has dark brown skin and eyes".

To me, that seems to be a much clearer description. It was obvious, so the fact that the casting was a shock for people tells me they didn't read clearly, or (the more likely fact) that we DO indeed whitewash characters in our heads if the description is left open to interperatation. 

What do you guys think? Were you surprised with the casting? Do you think we're whitewashing teen books and movies?  Do you think there is a lack of other cultures being represented in YA books? 

I would love to hear your thoughts, comments and questions. The Word Nerds will be doing a live chat on Sunday night about diversity (or lack of it) in YA.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.5K 30 13
My horny thoughts I might do guides SMUT don't report, just block :)
200K 1K 33
This is a mix of different animes that have smut in them
139K 7.4K 82
Being flat broke is hard. To overcome these hardships sometimes take extreme measures, such as choosing to become a manager for the worst team in Blu...