Home

By ayumikiyohara

"The whole idea was a mess, in fact it was stupid. To get married with someone who's practically a stranger t... More

The Meeting
The Evil Woman
The Progress
The Kindness
The Valentine's Day
The One Who Got Away
The Bad Dreams
The New Chapter
The Story
The Torture
The Anger
The Heart
The Frustration
The Picture
Over
The Wound
The Desire
The Book
The Expired Date
The Expensive Thing
The Proposal
The Confession
The News
The Angels Rejoice
The Preparation
The Broken People
The Matrimony

The Dinner With Friends

9.8K 246 17
By ayumikiyohara

"So... what are you doing this Saturday?" She put the cup of hot honey tea down the table then sat comfortably on the couch. Taeyeon was sitting on the floor doing her paperwork.

"Uhh.. I don't know. Nothing I guess, why?" She stopped typing for a while to look at her side finding the smoke raised up from the cup inviting her to drink it. "For me?" She deliberately not casted her eyes to the other girl since she wore loose T-shirt and shorts. She had seen Tiffany's legs many times before but that didn't mean she used to that. It took a remarkable self-control to not ogling on her.

"Yeah. Careful, it's hot."

"Thanks." She said shortly. She took the cup, brought it to her lips and tested the water before sipped it slowly. "Woah, this is really good!" She grinned gratefully at Tiffany.

"You like it?"

"Of course I like it." She slurped again. Hot drink on chilly weather was just perfect.

"Wow, you actually honest this time. Not annoyingly turning around upside down just to avoid saying the truth that my creation is awesome."

Taeyeon narrowed her eyes at the later for God knew how long. "Shut up," she finally said with flat tone making Tiffany laugh.

"I thought you're going to make some excuse! You run out of idea, don't you?" She mischievously mocked her.

"Whatever." Taeyeon grumbled under her breath.

After she calmed her down, Tiffany pulled out some tissue to dried her tear from laughing too hard.

"Ehem," she cleared her throat. "In all seriousness though, you don't have anything to do this Saturday?"

"Nope, don't think so."

"Well, about meeting your friend, we can do dinner if you want."

"This Saturday, you mean?" Tiffany nodded. "I'll ask them tomorrow then. We invite them here or you want to go to a restaurant?"

"What about home made cooking?"

"You'll cook for them?"

"Yep."

"Okay then."

Taeyeon resumed her work meanwhile Tiffany laid on her back, flipping her magazine on one to another page. The TV was playing on soft music- Tiffany's choice.

It was a peaceful night in their house.

"Hoaaam..." Taeyeon yawned as she scratched her back making some bone cracking sound.

"Sleepy?" Tiffany asked without taking her eyes off magazine.

"Naahhoaamm," she yawned again. "I still want to work a bit more."

"You should sleep. You've been in front of the computer for hours."

"Yeah I will, my head already hurts." She rubbed her forehead hoping the throbbing would go away.

"You want me to massage your head?" Tiffany peeked from her magazine.

"No, no, no it's fine." She shook her head. She didn't keen on the idea of having Tiffany's hand on her head. It'll give her more headaches. "Are you working on a case right now?" She asked as she opened other document.

"Yep."

"That's your answer? Just yep?" She typed down.

"You want to know more?"

"Why would I bother to ask you if I don't want to know more?" Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

"I don't know, you never ask before."

"So you want to tell me or you not want to tell me." She said irritably. She was getting impatient.

"If you really want to know then maybe you should show some interest to it." Tiffany got up from the couch. The movement made Taeyeon turned her head towards her. Tiffany showed her back to Taeyeon as she tied her hair into ponytail- successfully made Taeyeon gulped by the act. Taeyeon quickly took the glass and drank from it when Tiffany turned towards her again. "And don't being a douche." She added then walked into her room without another word.

"Damn it!" Taeyeon muttered under her breath.

*****

She underlined yet another sentence in the journal. She had spent her in between surgery time to read and work on her proposal. She was just finished one surgery and SeoHyun was now preparing her next surgery. She got half hour to do some of her paperwork. She sat at the attending lounge with her paper on top of her crossed leg and a bottle of infused water in her left hand.

"Still working on your proposal?"

"Yeah, long way to go."

"And the chance the board will reject it?"

"97%."

Sunny laughed at her friend as she took a seat beside her, chewing her muffin in the way.

"I'm making a breakthrough, okay? This is going to save live more than you can imagine."

"I know, which is why I'm supporting you all the way." Sunny said incoherently.

"Eat first, you dumb." Taeyeon mocked her.

"Whatever. What's that?" She nodded at the bottle she held.

"Hm? Oh, infused water." She answered nonchalantly.

"You drink infused water? Since when?"

"This morning."

"Why?"

"Last night Tiffany saw this commercial on the magazine about how healthy infused water is," she mimiced the way Tiffany said it. "She'll make me drink it every morning."

Sunny just stared at her friend with confused face. Would she really obey what Tiffany told her?

"I got to go. Got mitral valve to repair." She closed her laptop and gathered her things then put it in her locker.

"Huh? Yeah. Good luck with that."

"I got this with the back of my hand, shorty."

"Yah!"

"By the way, are you guys free this Saturday?"

"Guess so, why?"

"You're welcome to come to my house if you want to meet Tiffany. If you can't, than I won't ask her for the second time. Your loss."

"We'll make it! We'll definitely make it! I'll see you at lunch!" Sunny saluted her before Taeyeon disappeared behind the door.

*****

"Yo! Yul!" She shouted.

The tan doctor who was talking with her resident turned her body around to see her shortest friend walking- more like running towards her.

"You chased by a ghost or something?"

"No! Saturday, this Saturday we're going to meet The Tiffany." She said in one breath.

"Really?"

Sunny nodded.

"Clear whatever schedule you have on that day. I gotta go to find Hyo."

She ran again.

*****

"Hey, can I ask you something?"

"Sure, go ahead." Taeyeon chewed her carrot.

"I shouldn't take it personally that Hyomin acting like she hates me, right? I mean she probably feel abandoned right now cause I've been really busy and she doesn't have a friend who can go to get a drink every night like we used to. And I rarely can take her call or reply her message right away. Maybe she's just felt hurt and lonely. But should she understand? I mean, she's a doctor too. She knows how we work."

"Or she just hates you." She answered nonchalantly.

"Wow thanks. Thanks a lot." Sunny deadpanned.

"Your welcome," she replied not even spared a single glance to her friend.

"You're helpless." Sunny snorted in disgust taking her tray up wanting to move to another table.

Too bad the only empty table was merely four feet away from Taeyeon's.

Better than to sit with this idiot.

"Seriously?" Taeyeon tilted her head and laughed at her friend's antic.

"I don't want to talk to you right now."

"What's up with her?" Yuri put her tray beside Taeyeon.

"No biggie, just her usual self being a cry baby." Taeyeon burst laughing out loud.

"Joking aside, what happen?"

"Hyomin, what else do you think?"

"What about Hyomin?"

"Soonkyu here doesn't have time for her so she thinks that she hates her and I confirm it now she's moping about it." She explained.

"Yah! Don't talk about me! I'm right here, I can hear you!" Sunny shouted.

"Then come here so we can talk about you with you without shouting." Yuri suggested.

"Not gonna happen."

"Sigh... Taeyeon-ah, lets move to that table." Yuri took her tray but no movement from the later. "Are you coming or not? If you're not, then you're a bigger cry baby than her."

"Oh dear God! What are we? Ten?" Taeyeon threw her arms exaggeratingly.

The three friends finally sat together.

"Now shake each other hand." Yuri said solemnly.

"No way!"

"No freaking way!"

Both responded simultaneously right away.

"You will," Yuri took Sunny's hand forcefully, "even if I have to help you two." She took Taeyeon's- still forcefully, then she guided the two dummy to shook each other hand as symbol that they had forgiven each other.

"Now. What's the problem? I don't have much time for your childlike behavior. I have surgery."

Taeyeon told her the whole story since Sunny refused to even open her mouth.

"Why are you like that, Taeyeon-ah?"

"I gave her an honest answer, Yul. Look, Soonkyu... Am I your friend or am I your best friend?"

"..."

"I'm serious, answer me."

"You're my person." She mumbled but loud enough to the two to hear. Taeyeon smiled gratefully.

"And that's why I told you the very truthful answer. I'm not going around the bush to tell you that she's fine or maybe she needs some alone time. She hates you, I cant be the judge to tell whether it is okay for her to hate you but..." she caught her breath. "She has a strong reason to hate you."

"What's that?"

"She likes you since forever. I lost count on how the longing look was always on her face when she looked at you long ago. Besides, she's a dermatologist fellow, do you know what she did during the day? They got massage, Soonkyu. They paid professional masseuses to massage their back everyday from 9 a.m to 12.30 p.m." Sunny gave her the 'what the actual f**k' face. "The only thing they worried about is acne. Of course she'd felt lonely when you're busy with yourself. And you're a good person, you're nice to all people. It makes she feel less special. Do you understand now?"

"Wait a minute, how did you know what derm resident schedule?"

"You know the girl I used to talk about when we were resident?"

"A derm resident? You banged a derm resident?!"

"Now shut up. This isn't my story." Taeyeon pointed her fork at her.

"Are you sure about her liking me?" Sunny said barely a whisper.

"Yes we are, Sunny." Yuri spoke though the chewing.

"I never noticed that. She's a close friend. I never think of her as... as I don't know. I'm not even sure myself."

"Well, it's for you to make sure then. I'm sorry guys, I got to go." Yuri wiped her mouth with a tissue. "She's a good catch, Sonnkyu-yah. Think wisely."

When Yuri walked away, Taeyeon opened her mouth to spoke sincerely. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disparage you. I just... you know..."

"Yes, I know. I'm sorry too."

*****

They went to the traditional market on chilly Saturday after Taeyeon picked Tiffany up from her office. Taeyeon was mostly standing and eating street snack and held the plastic bag whilst Tiffany choose and make a bid for the things she needed.

Taeyeon recalled the last time she came to traditional market. It was really long time ago. Probably when she was still in med school.

"I think we already have the necessity ingredients." Tiffany said as she paid the greengrocer.

"Weallie?" Taeyeon masticated the Toppoki as she waft through her mouth because it was really hot.

"Hey, hey, you'll burn your mouth with that." She frowned disapprovingly.

"This is really good. You wanna try?" Taeyeon blew the Toppoki. Tiffany shook her head.

"Lets go home, Taeyeon-ah." She carried some of the plastic bag then they walk towards the parking lot.

*****

"Fany-ah, can we nap before we start cooking?" Taeyeon yawned while putting their groceries in the fridge.

"We?"

"Woaaabb?" She yawned again.

"You want to nap with me? You said we." Tiffany smirked at her.

Teasing each other like this was totally fun for the both of them. Maybe response from the others kept them entertained even though inside of their heart, the joke or the tease made their heart beating a little bit faster than normal.

"No!" Taeyeon caught off guard, her cheeks began to chang color into shade of pink. "I mean I want to take a nap, by myself, in my bedroom, on my own bed." She stammered then turned her head to the fridge focusing on what she was doing, ignoring Tiffany who was laughing. She was happy making Taeyeon stuttered.

"Wake me up if I sleep too long. Don't start cooking without me." The short girl walked out the kitchen with her back faced Tiffany.

Taeyeon laid on her back on the bed, covering her face with the pillow. She breathed in and out for a couple times before her erratic heart became slower.

"You're messing with my head, Tiffany. What are you? What the hell are you doing?" She sighed loudly. "Why are you doing this?" She can felt it. The walls she built were slowly melted down. She shook her head vigorously. "Keep yourself together, Kim Taeyeon! She's just a stranger who happens to live with you. She's not worth it. She's not worth for another pain. She's just being polite. Yeah, polite." She murmured the same mantra over and over. She grabbed her bolster and closed her eyes. Finally she did the best she usually do; shut down the problem and ignore it for as long as it possible.

*****

Taeyeon woke up abruptly when she heard the knock at the door making her head throbbing. Tiffany's head partly appeared through the slightly open door.

"You awake?"

"Yeah," she answered with hoarse voice. "I'll take shower first then I'll join you."

"It's okay if you still want to sleep." Tiffany said softly.

"No, I'm fine." She slowly got off the bed dragged her feet towards the bathroom.

When she finished her shower, Taeyeon took her phone on her drawer and put it in her pocket. She entered the kitchen with delicious smoke greeted her. Tiffany, with her high ponytail and pink apron was busy slicing the meat.

"What can I do to help?"

"Hey, uh... actually you can cut the fruit. We'll make salad for the dessert."

"Okay." Easy job, she thought to herself.

It was amazing that Tiffany can cook variety of food and at the same time keeping the kitchen clean. She was efficient like that. Tiffany already did all the thing when Taeyeon wasn't even close to finish peeling the watermelon.

"Taeyeon-ah! What are you doing? That's not how you peel fruit. You'll waste too much." Tiifany had to chuckled at Taeyeon's creation. "Here, I'll teach you how." Tiffany took the knife and showed Taeyeon how it's done.

"Okay, okay, I get it now let me work in peace. Shoo!"

Tiffany chuckled again. "And to think you work with scalpel everyday. Very impressive." Tiffany said sarcastically earning a glare from the doctor.

By the time Tiffany had done all the appetizer, main course, and the salad mayonnaise, Taeyeon still struggling with her fruits.

"You know what? I give up. I can't do this anymore." She threw her hands desperately. "Laugh all you want, I'm not doing that again!" She was extremely irritated with the result of her peeled fruit. She was expecting Tiffany would laugh or mocked her but instead, she was just smiling genuinely at her.

"It's not really bad, actually." She comforted her.

Taeyeon frowned at her, not buying her bull.

"Alright, how about I peel them and you cut them into pieces?"

Taeyeon sighed loudly. "Okay," she said.

Taeyeon was an arrogant person. She had a very big ego it made Tiffany wanted to slap her sometimes. But Tiffany understood that it hurt her pride that she can't do such an easy job. If anything, Tiffany knew her arrogance very well.

Ten minutes later, the dessert was done. Taeyeon couldn't be happy more.

Three hours before their guest came, they sat on the living room watching some soap opera. Taeyeon had to admit, Tiffany influenced her in one way to another. Never in million years she thought she'd sat in front of the TV watching cheesy soap opera and actually enjoy it. Though love scene still made her frowned in disgust, she can through one episode without vomiting.

"I hate lawyers. No offence, though." Taeyeon changed to another broadcast.

"Why is that?"

"Well, for example the drama we watched. We all know that the evil mother in law was the felon, why would the lawyer defend her? Cause she paid them? That girl's live was practically over."

"Hmmm... you're right." Tiffany asked calmly.

"I hate my work being watched by them. Every time I hold the scalpel, it feels like they gawk at me like I'm a meat. " Taeyeon looked forward vacantly. "They don't even understand about meds or why I do certain procedure on my patients."

Tiffany tilted her head watching the other side of Taeyeon in wonder.

"I mean, I went to med school and learn surgery for years. For half of my life and they can manage to destroy all of it within a week." She turned her head towards Tiffany. "I'm sorry I hate lawyers."

Tiffany smiled. "Is that why you hate me?"

"I never say I hate you. Well, maybe at a certain moment I'd hate you but not hate- 'hate', okay?"

"Well, if you involve in any law case, they'll help you too, you know. But for the fairness. I hate my job too." Tiffany giggled when she saw Taeyeon's reaction.

"Then why are you became one?"

"Change in perspective, I guess? I'm not as naïve as I was."

"What do you mean?"

"I choose law school simply because I want to enforce the law. I was an activist at college. Then when I enter the real world, I just dislike it. It's not pure about law anymore, it's about making a living and I hate that."

"Do you hate your cases?"

"Most of them. That's why whenever i could, I take the less complicated one. Money is not that great but at least I live in peace."

"What case are you handling right now?"

"I think it's best if we keep work at work. Home is a place to rest."

"Okay, you're right. But if you have a bad day at work, it's okay to talk to me."

"Same goes to you." Tiffany smiled prettily making Taeyeon to smile too. The smile Tiffany grew to like because it wasn't an annoying smirk or smug grin she usually did. It was just a smile- an honest smile.

"Lets get ready, Taeyeon-ah," Tiffany got up.

"Get ready for what?"

"Your friend would be here in one and half hour. We need to warm up the food."

"I'm not going to dress up for those brats," she stated as a matter of fact.

"We invited them here, at least wear something decent."

"Fine."

*****

Tiffany was still on her pajamas whilst Taeyeon already in her decent clothes; loose shirt and jeans. They warmed the food together. Tiffany warned Taeyeon many times to not secretly steal a piece of food cause it'd damage the presentation.

Taeyeon was literally drolled by the view. Tiffany never cooked this kind of meal before and Taeyeon wasn't a patient person to keep her mouth off of it.

"Yah! Soonkyu-ya. Where are you?" She shouted as soon as she dialed Sunny's number.

"I'm waiting Yuri and Hyoyeon to pick me. What's with the shout?" She flinched by the loud voice.

"Get here fast, I'm hungry!"

"I'll be there in fifteen okay? Don't eat our food!"

"No guarantee."

"Hey! The kids are here and we're about to go now. I repeat. Do. Not. Eat. Our. Food!"

The line went dead.

"Fany-ah. They're on their way." She pocketed her phone again.

"Ah, okay. I need to get dress. Don't touch it, Taeyeon-ah. Go watch TV or something." Tiffany put the wine in the ice bucket.

"I wont, I promise." She made peace sign with her finger as she grinned naughtily.

"I mean it." Tiffany said in all seriousness. "Or no honey tea for you."

"You always know what I'm weak of, don't you?"

"I'm a lawyer after all." Tiffany grinned self-satisfied.

Not long after Tiffany disappeared in her room, the bell ringed. Taeyeon who was currently sat on the kitchen counter longingly stared at the beautiful food in front of her jumped off to let her friends in.

"Finally!" Taeyeon opened the door as Sunny smacked the back of her head mercilessly. "Yah!"

"You deserve that! Yuri was out of her mind. She drives like crazy because I told her you'd eat all food."

"And that's my fault?!"

"Yes." Yuri answered.

"Where's Tiffany?" Hyoyeon took off her jacket and shoved it to Taeyeon.

"In her room getting ready."

The four friends decided to watch some TV while waiting Tiffany to be ready. Though TV was pretty much useless because they chatted about work- mostly patients and Taeyeon's project. Taeyeon excused herself when she received phone call from SeoHyun to consult and report a new patient.

When she was back to the living room, she saw an angel stood not too far away from her. Tiffany wore an enchanting knee length dark blue dress featuring an alluring lace print with a heart neckline with perfectly done hair. Tiffany bowed towards her friends then she closed her bedroom door giving Taeyeon the back of the dress view, which was just as captivating as the front.

How perfect.

Taeyeon's heart jumped incredibly fast, all air pretty much sucked out from her lung, she literally had to strut by the couch because her knees was weakened at the view.

"Wow," she breathed out heavily, silently admired her.

Tiffany captivated her attention completely it felt like only the both of them that existed in the world.

"Taeyeon-ah?" Tiffany waved her hand at her.

Such a beautiful voice.

"Yah!" Yuri slapped her forehead bringing her back to reality.

"Ow! What?!" She glared at the tan girl. "If I pass out after this, I'm suing all of you!"

Tiffany chuckled at the funny scene. "Taeyeon-ah, aren't you going to introduce us?"

"Right. Yeah." She stood closer to Tiffany, her perfume intoxicated her. Of course, she enjoyed it. "Um, Fany-ah, this is Lee Soonkyu or Sunny; stupid brat number one," she pointed the shortest. "This one is Kim Hyoyeon; stupid brat number two, and this one is stupid brat number three; Kwon Yuri."

"Hey, Sunny, HyoYeon, Yuri. I'm Tiffany," she shook their hands politely. "Taeyeon talked a lot about you guys."

"Bad things, I assume?" HyoYeon joked.

"You don't have good bones in your body." Taeyeon remarked.

"Taeyeon-ah, be good." Tiffany said softly but Taeyeon sure she was going to threatened her later.

"Fine. I'll be civil for tonight. Now can we eat?"

*****

"This is delicious, Tiffany-ssi. Thank you for cooking." Yuri commented.

"Thank you, Yuri. Taeyeon helped me." She smiled.

"Help you? Help you to taste it?"

"She can't even make an edible sandwich, I'm sorry Tiffany, but that's just unbelievable."

"Shut up, Hyoyeon. You don't cook either."

"Still better than you."

They ate while chatting talking about random things. Once again, Tiffany succeed stole everybody's heart. They were enjoying the night with tasteful meal.

"What are these, Tiffany? Emm... all of this is soo good." Sunny bite yet another piece of she didn't know what to call.

"This one is Broccoli Chicken Shells and Cheese, the one you eat is Beef Fajita Quesadillas and you know this one Seolleongtang." Tiffany explained.

"Such complicated name." Taeyeon mumbled.

"They're beautiful name, Tiffany-ssi. Just like you." Yuri complimented the prettiest girl in the room earning a deep frown from Taeyeon.

"Why thank you, Yuri." Tiffany smiled bashfully. Taeyeon frowned deeper. Taeyeon wasn't sure why but she certainly didn't like it. Yuri seemed like flirting with Tiffany and the latter responded back. Something inside her wanted to punched Yuri's face with all she might. She shook her head at the thought. Yuri was her best friend. She cant do that to her.

Nevertheless, it didn't make her less uneasy.

Taeyeon became quiet for the rest of the night. When her friends bid their goodbyes, she gave them a small smile and waved a little before she closed the door behind her.

Her phone ringed indicated a new message came in.

"Not bad, huh?"

Taeyeon looked up from her phone after she sent the message.

"Yeah, not bad at all."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"It is not nothing."

"Maybe you should stop being miss know it all. If I said nothing, it means nothing, none! And I mean it." Taeyeon said harshly.

Tiffany looked at her disapprovingly.

"I'm tired, I'm going to sleep."

Taeyeon closed the door a bit hard leaving Tiffany with anger rising up inside her.

This bipolar thing has to end soon. I do not deserve this.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

195K 6.1K 57
What would you do if your best friend asked you to move in with him and his up and coming rock band? One moment, Tanna Carson is sitting on her bed...
8.6K 261 13
A fanfic story about Michaeng of twice😍 wherein I adapted Mina to be a New resident doctor who is a cold,serious person and falls inlove with Chaeyo...
14.4K 241 20
Jurassic World's brand-new adventure camp called Camp Cretaceous has finally arrived. A fun place to do amazing activities and have an adventure of a...
1.1M 48.9K 95
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC