Unwed πŸ’

By Scarletletterheart

Wattys 2018 Shortlist!!! *First book in a two part series* June 1952-in a world of poodle skirts, convertible... More

UNWED CAST
Chapter One: Going to the Chapel
Chapter Two: The Great Pretender
Chapter Three: Tears On My Pillow
Chapter Four: Love Hurts
Chapter Five: Beyond the Sea
Chapter Six: Poor Butterfly
Chapter Seven: Drown In My Own Tears
Chapter Eight: All I Have To Do Is Dream
Chapter Nine: Witch Doctor
Chapter Ten: Jailhouse Rock
Chapter Eleven: That'll Be The Day
Chapter Twelve: Come And Go With Me
Chapter Thirteen: Hushabye
Chapter Fourteen: Sisters
Chapter 15: A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes
Chapter Sixteen: Beautiful Lies
Chapter Seventeen: It's Only Make Believe
Chapter Eighteen: Love Is A Many Splendored Thing
Chapter 19: Yakety Yak
Chapter Twenty: Be Bop a Lula
Chapter Twenty-One: All Shook Up
Chapter Twenty-Two: In The Still Of The Night
Chapter Twenty-Three: Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams
Chapter Twenty-Four: I'll Never Be Free
Chapter Twenty-Five: Maybe Tomorrow
Chapter Twenty-Six: Earth Angel
Chapter Twenty-Seven: I'd Rather Die Young
Chapter Twenty-Eight: I'll Walk Alone
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Baby Talk
Chapter Thirty: I Forgot to Remember to Forget
Chapter Thirty-One: I'm Moving On
Chapter Thirty-Two: Baby Mine
Chapter Thirty-Three: I'm Coming Home

Introduction/Word from the Author

2K 79 16
By Scarletletterheart

June 1952—in a world of poodle skirts, convertibles, and rock and roll...

At seventeen, Isadora (Izzy) Twiss is forced to accept she has a growing problem, and no matter how much she wishes it away, it just gets bigger. Having a baby out of wedlock is unacceptable. Those who do are shunned by their families and destined to lead a life of guilt and shame.

She is forced to "disappear" to a remote island where a nun led home for unwed mothers lies, surrounded by nothing but wilderness. There she meets other girls, all suffering from the same predicament. They bond together, sharing in the heartache that comes with carrying an illegitimate child.

Izzy dreams that one day, no matter how far-fetched, love will be hers to have and hold. When a mysterious man arrives on the island, Izzy realizes her dream just might come true.

***

Author's Note

Although this story and its characters are entirely fictional, it's based on true events that happened in America from the 1940's to the 1970's.

During this time, it wasn't uncommon for a high school girl, or even an older girl, to just "disappear" for a year when she found out she was pregnant, usually claiming she was going to visit an aunt out of town.

These girls were sent to homes for unwed mothers where they were often referred to as "fallen women" and known by only a first name—sometimes just by a number. They lived out their pregnancies in secrecy, and were often forced against there will, either by their families, or the homes they stayed in, to give up their babies for adoption. This was such a big deal during the 1940's to 1970's that it even has its own name, The Baby Scoop Era. Nearly 4 million babies were given up for adoption during this time.

Many of the "fallen" girls returned back to their schools and regular lives, the weight of their secret heavy on their hearts and minds...

I hope you will fall in love with Unwed! If you haven't already, please check out Winter Rose. It's a unique, fast paced thriller that I hope you'll also enjoy!

The sequel to Unwed, The Fallen Girls, is now published!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

199K 10.2K 50
{Wattys Shortlist 2022} A one night stand is turned inside out when two strangers discover their shared past. After a skydiving excursion that ends...
2.7M 83.4K 50
The Wattys 2014 "Undiscovered Gem" Stella Henry is afraid of a lot of things. As a child, her simple, comfortable home life did not prepare her fo...
4.6K 801 14
[ONC 2022 SHORTLISTER] She was running from something while he was running to something. When strange circumstances throw them together, they realise...
9.9M 325K 52
On the WATTYS 2017 SHORTLIST and Featured in COSMOPOLITAN!!! A Wattpad featured story with LOTS OF STEAM! A new life, new friendships, new love...