The Dacabre Killings

By berryboba

Every fourth year, boys and girls are drafted to enter The Dacabre Killings, where the chosen eight must ente... More

 Vordix
 01 ~ karina
 02 ~ karina
 03 ~ karina
 04 ~ jett
 05 ~ jett
 06 ~ jett
 07 ~ ember
 08 ~ ember
 09 ~ ember
 10 ~ ryder
 11 ~ ryder
 12 ~ ryder
 13 ~ xander
 14 ~ xander
 15 ~ xander
 16 ~ harlyn
 17 ~ grey
 18 ~ grey
 19 ~ ryder
 20 [Filler] ~ astrid
 21 ~ karina
 22 ~ karina
 24 ~ ember
 25 ~ astrid

 23 ~ ember

61 18 4
By berryboba

*Unedited*
Ember

     The repetition of clicks and shouts brought my body back down to Earth. I was surprised my night had been somewhat restful, with no nightmares plaguing my sleep.

     The ground was unnaturally hard, as if it was made of stone. The clicking and voices grew louder, causing realization to attack me.

     I wasn't on the beach. And I wasn't alone.

     I attempted to sit up, but then found that the stiffness of my body was due to the rope knotting around my body and under a large, rectangular block of stone, sort of like a table.

     Where on Earth was I? The smell of wood and smoke met my nose, along with...could it be?

     It was a cooked deer, something I had eaten plenty of times. I was suddenly reminded of how hungry I was, and how long it had been since I had felt the liquid of sweet, fresh water in my mouth.

     They were closer now—the people whom the shouts and clicks belonged to.

     I then recognized another smell intermingling with the smoke: pine trees.

     Oh no.

     For the first time, I began to realize where I was; in a forest. Small huts surrounded me, indicating I was in the middle of a village.

     The smells. The sounds. The forest. The village. The natives.

     The Foresters.

     A gasp escaped me as a sudden pain flashed through my head, succumbing me into a world of unconsciousness.

  

     Everything was a blur as the boy—I was sure he was Grey by now—announced everything.

     My father was dead.

     My father was dead.

     My father was dead.

     My world was turned into one of denial and confusion, all mixed in together with pain.

     I had always known he had died; I mean, how could someone survive the forest for a full month? It just wasn't possible, it was defying the rules of reality.

     Yet I, with all my silly optimism, had clutched onto hope as if it was the only thing keeping me alive. In my eyes, so long as we hadn't found him dead, he could still be alive.

     But he's not alive, a voice whispered inside of me, he's dead.

     For once, positivity had proved to be my weakness, my detriment. Now, it was doing nothing but ripping me apart, starting straight with my heart.

     Grey was talking to me, but I couldn't hear a word he was saying. A ringing in my ears blocked off all forms of sound, and my vision began to get foggy, blurring everything I saw into a misty haze.

     He's dead he's dead he's dead.

     My body was wracked with violent sobs as my legs folded under me as if they had suddenly broken. The words Grey had spoken were running through my mind, and my voice answered with emotion, but I hardly realized I said anything.

     I was teetering over the edge of sane consciousness into the abyss of wild insanity.

     I'll never see him again. He's gone. He's gone forever.

     Harsh, rough arms enveloped me, scooping my body off the ground as I began to thrash uncontrollably in an effort to escape them.

     I don't know who this. They're going to hurt me. I have to get away.

     The words repeated over and over in my brain as meaty hands closed around my throat, sealing off my window for air.

     My world became a black blank after that.

  

     When I woke up, I felt as if I was still living the nightmarish flashback.

     Thick, coarse ropes cut into my skin as I writhed against them. My throat constricted within itself several times as I attempted to scream, the feeling of being choked not having left me yet. My thoughts stayed in a flurry of panic and confusion, and my head tossed back and forth against the cold rock as I grew crazy with hysteria.

     Soon, the leftover effects of my flashback dissolved, and I remembered where I was and what had happened. The places where rope bound me were sticky with blood, and I winced at the feeling of bindings rubbing against my flesh.

     What was I even doing here? And where was...

     Grey.

     My eyes swept the sky and the huts surrounding me before locating a giant body tied to a stake. He wasn't close enough to touch, but close enough that I could tell that his eyes were closed. My heart convulsed at the sight of a line of maroon running across his forehead, along with his blond hair matted with a similar, red substance.

     "Grey." I tried to whisper, but hardly anything came out. My throat felt raw, as if I had been screaming in my sleep.

     He stirred, but then went still once more.

     "Wake up!" I squirmed against my bonds, but it was to no avail.

     Footsteps halted me as my whole body went rigid. Dreading what I was going to see, I slowly lifted my gaze from my partner, only to find the entire tribe of natives surrounding me, each significantly bigger than Grey.

     The one nearest to me bent down, whispering in his native tongue beneath his breath.

     I could not help but try to shrink away from his giant form, and the intimidating spears slung at his side. His whole body was adorned with sparkling jewels and nuggets of gold. War paint seemed to be a part of him, covering every inch of his skin in bright colors of red, orange, yellow, and green. His face was the worst of all; coated with a painting that was almost too similar to a lion.

     A groan sounded, causing my gaze to flit back to Grey. Apparently, he had awakened, and by the look in his eyes, he knew just how dire our situation was.

     Of course he knows. He was there the day you...

     The day I what? Did I die at the hands of that...what was their names? Forester.

     But of course I didn't die. I was still here, so that was impossible.

     A shout from the man startled me, and I couldn't help but jump as his gaze hardened on me.

     In a way, I somehow recognized this native with authority and power. He was the Head Chief; almost like the king of the forest.

     Another shout from him, along with a series of clicks and more voices.

     My head swiveled to the other natives, and I was a little surprised to find a mixture of hunger, fear, hope, and sorrow in their eyes. Almost as if they weren't quite sure what to make of whatever was going to occur.

     Before I could register what was happening, four buff men seized a corner of the slab I was on, lifting me off the ground and up an elevation in the ground.

     A dim fire burned, regardless of the sun rising in the sky, and I could only watch as I was lifted down the row of men and dropped right by the fire.

     Grey was calling my name over and over, triggering a sense of déjá vu. My body started to go on shutdown, shaking with an overpowering sense of fear and horror.

     A rhythmic, terrifying chant began as the Head Chief steadily approached me, a long, lethal knife in hand.

     No. Not again. This can not happen again.

     Grey was practically screaming now as he ripped the ropes wound around him, charging straight towards me.

     Boom. Boom.

     A drum beat beside me, increasing the feeling that this was more than just slaughter.

     This was a human sacrifice.

     And that human was me.

     Boom. Boom.

     Two guards seized Grey, pounding him to the ground until he went motionless.

     Boom. Boom.

     This was it. This was my death. I was going to die.

     Boom. Boom.

     The chanting seized, along with the drum and any other sounds.

     My line of vision drew to the Head Chief's hand poised a foot above my chest, a blade pointed down.

     I won't even get to say goodbye to—

     The sharp blade impaled my body.

Hi! I'm baaaack!! :) The ending is in sight! Yay!!!

Thank you so much for reading and don't forget to vote if you liked this, comment, and give feedback!
- Lauryn

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.8K 990 82
"This bounty is mine, Xander," He said. It was the first time I ever heard his name. Xander smirked, "Kill me first, then take her." He proposed arr...
153 13 21
Erin and Corinne. ... Fighting between past and present,.. between loved and love ..... between a promise and a purpose.. Corinne Craine will need to...
105K 1.3K 12
Only the first 10 chapters are open.. NOW ON AMAZON! PLEASE BE SURE TO CHECK IT OUT AND SHOW ME SOME LOVE! COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT EACH AND EVE...
471 64 12
A FavreMySabre Crafting Dead Fanfiction This story starts where the series has ended. It will be continued though fate, understanding of the series...