HUMAN

By LovelyLoopyKari

All her life Katrina knew she was a little different and all she wanted was to fit in. But it was harder to a... More

Catch A Falling Star
Chapter TWO
Chapter THREE
Chapter FOUR
Chapter FIVE
Chapter SIX
Chapter SEVEN
Chapter EIGHT
Chapter NINE
Chapter TEN
Chapter ELEVEN
Chapter TWELVE
Chapter THIRTEEN
Chapter FOURTEEN
Chapter FIFTEEN
Chapter SIXTEEN
Chapter SEVENTEEN
Chapter EIGHTEEN
Chapter NINETEEN
Chapter TWENTY
Chapter TWENTY ONE
Chapter TWENTY TWO
Chapter TWENTY THREE
Chapter TWENTY FOUR
Chapter TWENTY FIVE
Chapter TWENTY SIX
Chapter TWENTY SEVEN
Chapter TWENTY EIGHT
Chapter TWENTY NINE
Chapter THIRTY
Chapter THIRTY ONE

Chapter ONE

18.1K 434 75
By LovelyLoopyKari

Chapter ONE

______________

Cold. Black. Lifeless.

I jerked my head up, my eyes snapping opening and fixing on the mirror across from my bed. I stared at my messy blonde bed head and my green eyes as they looked frightened at the reflection in front of me.

My breathing was ragged and my body was covered in a sheet of cold sweat. Shivering from the memories of the dream I wrapped my arms around my body, trying to hold myself together.

'It wasn't real.' I chanted to myself over and over as I rocked slightly on the spot. I hadn't died. I'd escaped. He was gone.

Shaking my head I stood from the bed and quickly grabbed the spare blanket and threw it over the mirror. I couldn't stand to look at myself, how could I? The scars that covered the right side of my face were all I could see. Although I was told multiple times that you could 'hardly see them'.

I grabbed my book off the desk that was on the nightstand and settled back into bed. Leaning against the iron head board I purposely kept myself in an uncomfortable position so I couldn't be dragged back into my unconscious mind.

Sleeping was a gamble I wasn't willing to take. The memories were too much to face at the moment.

Taking a deep breath I emerged myself into the third book this week...and it was only Monday at 3 in the morning.

Books were my escape. When my life had become too hard and when I couldn't sleep for fear of dreaming.

"Kat?" A soft knock on my door forced my attention away from the book, "Couldn't sleep baby?"

I shook my head with a sigh, "No. I'm really loving this book." I lied.

My mother walked into my room, wrapping her pink robe around her waist tighter as she looked around my room with a sad smile. "You should really unpack all these boxes. It's nearly been a month."

"I've just been a little busy, but I'll get to it tomorrow." I told her as I stifled a yawn.

"Tomorrow?" She gave a small laugh, "Kat, it's eight."

My eyes flickered to the alarm clock that was perched on my table and was surprised to see, that it in fact, read that it was 8. "Oh." I whispered, throwing the blankets off my legs. "I'll get ready for the day then."

"Don't forget, first day of school tomorrow." She smiled making her way back out into the hall, probably to wake my brothers and sister.

"How could I?" I mumbled as picked up today's outfit.

I hurried into the bathroom and before I knew it I was down stairs, surrounded by my family. My dad was reading the paper, his glasses halfway down his nose and a steaming coffee cup sitting beside him. My mother was gliding around the kitchen in her bathrobe as she made breakfast for everyone while my elder brother, Christopher, was drumming a beat with his fingers on the oak table. My younger brother, Thomas, was flipping through a sports catalog trying to convince my parents to buy him one thing or another and my sister, Hannah, who was the youngest of the four was staring into a pocket size mirror as she studied her face.

"Morning Katrina." My father gave me a crinkled smile as he looked away from the paper for a moment.

"Morning." I returned his smile with a small one of my own and took my seat beside Tommy.

"Look how cool this stick is!" He shoved the magazine in front of my face, "The flexibility is crazy. Imagine the slapshots with this." He sighed dreamily as I shoved the paper away.

"There is no way, they're going to buy you a new stick that expensive when all you do is break them." Chris taunted as he poured himself a glass of orange juice. Tommy gave Chris an annoyed look before he was flicking through the pages again.

"Isn't it like a sin to look at yourself so much?" Chris turned his attention to Hannah who was now making kissy faces to herself via the mirror.

"It's not a sin to like yourself." She smiled continuing to make faces.

Chris rolled his eyes and meet mine with a grin. "How's the book going Kat?"

"Good. Almost finished." I responded robotically.

"How long did this one take you?" He laughed, trying to get me to smile for him. He was always gentle with me, they all were.

"Um, maybe five hours." I shrugged as my mother brought over the pancakes. I took one before anyone else and after that the plate was completely gone within a matter of seconds, the mirror and magazine forgotten for the moment.

"What's the plan for your guys last day of Summer?" My mother asked after we were all a few bites in.

"Going down to the music store Tony, the manager there, is willing to get me a job since I spend all my time there anyway." Chris shrugged with a smile.

"That's a wonderful way to spend your last day son." My father nodded admirably. "What about you Tommy? Getting a job today too?"

"No." Tommy laughed, "I'm heading down to the rink, tryouts for the hockey team are coming up and if I want to make first line I have to practice."

"Also a wonderful way to spend the last day." My father laughed, sipping his coffee before turning to my sister.

"I'm going tanning with some girls from down the street." Hannah grinned. Chris snorted and shook his head and looked to me.

"How about you Kat? Going to start 3 new books today?" He laughed.

I shrugged, "I might head outside or something. I haven't really explored the town yet."

"Want me to come with you?" Tommy asked, giving me a sideway glance.

I quickly shook my head, I didn't need to be watched 24/7. I wasn't afraid. Well not really. Okay a little but I didn't need my little brother to come with me. "No. You need to train for tryouts anyway. I'll be fine."

"You can always come tanning with me." Hannah offered, "The girls are really nice and the guys aren't that bad either." She smirked.

"Guys?" Chris and Tommy glared at her as they spoke in unison. She successfully steered the conversation away from me and for that I was grateful.

Soon after Chris left Tommy stood up too and was about to leave when he stopped. "Come on Kat."

I sighed but followed him out. I didn't need him to show me around but he insisted so I guess I should just let him do as he wanted. Besides it'd be nice to see where the rink was since I'd probably spend a lot of time there watching his games.

The walk wasn't too bad, for me anyway, Tommy was lugging his bag over his shoulder with his stick out stretched. Twenty minutes later and we were in the rink. Tommy was skating around shooting pucks when a group of guys walked in.

They all seemed to be joking around as they shoved and pushed their way in. The guy leading the group stood out the most, his hair a mess on top of his head, his smile gigantic seemed infectious as he laughed with his buddies.

One of the guys elbowed the leader and pointed a finger in my direction. I saw him smile as they all laughed before I looked back at Tommy. Tommy looked up at the laughter and skated over to me.

"Don't worry about them." He smiled apprehensively at me, "They don't mean any harm, they are really good dudes."

I gave Tommy a small smile, it was nice that my brother was trying to comfort me. "Thanks."

Tommy's grin stretched before he skated away.

"Hey." A voice spoke from behind me, "You must be new. I'm Spencer." The one who nudged the leader of the group laughed next to me.

"Um yeah, hey." I nodded trying not to make eye contact with him. All guys made me nervous, every since.. I shook that thought away and watched Tommy skate.

"Friend of Tommy boy?" He asked trying to gain my attention again.

"Sister."

I felt him eye me up and down, his smirk widening. "You don't say." Spencer laughed, "I knew he had a sister but I didn't know she was hot as hell."

"He has two." I shook my head, "Hannah's way prettier."

"Two?" "Spencer's dropped his mouth in surprise, "I find it hard to believe anyone is prettier than you."

Rolling my eyes I dropped my gaze to my fidgeting fingers.

"Spence!" The leader waved him over and he left me alone with a 'see you later.'

I watched practice before Tommy came back over, "The next part of practice is private apparently, can you wait outside? I'll be done in an hour."

"I was actually going to go home." I nodded getting off the bench, "See you at home." I waved before I began my way out. Once I was at the door that headed out into the lobby I looked back and saw the leader guy looking at me intently. My stomach twisted into a knot and I quickly left the building.

That guy gave me a funny feeling in my stomach and I wasn't sure if it was good or bad.

I kicked a pebble all the way home and with a sigh I opened the front door. I heard my mom and dad laughing as they dotted around in the kitchen. I knew that no one else was here and I didn't want them to question me. So I turned around and went back outside.

Walking down the sidewalk I looked at all the buildings with little interest and when I heard a familiar voice I froze. "Kat!" Hannah called, "Kat, come here." She waved me over enthusiastically.

Mustering all the courage I could I walked to Hannah's side. "Hey." I whispered. Hannah was three years younger than I was so she was only 14 but the people she was hanging out with looked to be around my age.

"This is your sister?" A shirtless guy grinned, pulling his sunglass down on his nose to give me a look over.

"Yeah, she's 17." Hannah laughed at the guy, "Too old for you."

I cocked my head in confusion, he looked older then me so I didn't know what my sister was saying. "He's 15." A guy beside him laughed when he noticed my confusion. "I'm 16 though." He flashed me a grin.

"Nice." I nodded, not really caring.

"I'm Bradley." The shirtless guy smiled.

"I'm Sam." The other one rushed out after Bradley.

Nodding I gave my sister a gesture over my shoulder, "I'm going to go, I'll see you later."

Walking away quickly I was hit with a sudden realization I was never going to have friends, not at the rate I was going. I walked around the block and over to a park when I felt a vibration in my pocket.

"Hello?" I asked into the phone already knowing who it was.

"Where are you Kat? You said you'd be at home." Tommy rushed out.

"I'm fine, just at a little park. I'll be home soon, promise." I sighed.

"Fine." He groaned, "but if you're not home in fifteen, I'm sending a search party."

"Awesome." I mumbled and hung up. Guess I should head back, I didn't need my brother to make a big deal about this. And Lord knows he would, plus he'd get my whole family involved.

Just because I happen to be human with an entire family of wolves, apart from my father who was also human, didn't mean I need to be looked after so much. I mean due to past events I kinda understand and appreciate it but they fuss too much.

Walking into the little house my eyes fell upon Thomas, his arms folded across his chest with a disapproving look. Next to him was the group of guys from the rink, the 'leader' of the group was looking at me with plain curiosity etched on his face.

"Sorry, I went to see Hannah." I blushed as if being scolded.

"You were with Hannah?" Thomas relaxed, "oh, well that's...wait, where they're guys there?"

Biting my lip I struggled whether or not I wanted to tell him the truth but I took too long to answer and he let out a low growl. "Are you okay? Did they-." He trailed off.

"I'm fine, nothing I can't handle." I gave him a small smile and started for the stairs. I could feel every pair of eyes flickering between Thomas and I but they all stayed quiet. "I'm going to read now."

Thomas gave me a crooked grin and let me pass, "Try to read slower so this one last longer that 6 hours."

"I'll try." I rolled my eyes and ran up the stairs.

My bedroom was a light purple with all the furniture white. My floor to ceiling bookcases were aligned against the far wall, they took my dad and brothers two days to build once we moved in. My vanity/desk was on the side wall with my bed across from it and a small but puffy chair was nestled in the corner beside the bookcases.

The room was near perfect as I hadn't hung up any of my things yet. I sighed and reached for a box. This box was full of books and I began unpacking them onto the bookcase. After an hour I finally finished unpacking all of the books and sighed, I was going to need another bookcase if I planned on buying more books, which I did.

"Wow." A voice whispered behind me and I jumped turning to face the unwanted visitor. The leader of the group was standing in the doorway, his hair still a mess on his head while his hands were deep in his pockets as he surveyed the room with interest. "You like to read I take it?"

"Um, yeah." A blush creeping up my face as I turned away from him, I didn't want him to see my face and think I liked him, "A little."

"Looks like you need more shelves." He laughed, making his way into my room. My heart began to speed up and I wondered where my brothers were. He brushed past me and began browsing my books, his hands running over the spines of the books. "Ah." He grinned as he slipped out the book from its place.

"You have my favorite book." He flashed the cover to me, "Where the Red Fern Grows". "I haven't read this book in forever though." He looked down at the cover and began flicking through the pages.

"It's my favorite too." I muttered quietly, his head snapped up like I yelled at him and he smiled.

"Can I borrow it?" He laughed, "I promise I'll give it back."

I nodded, "Sure."

He brought the book down to his side and held out his other hand for me to shake. "I'm Colin."

"Kat." I reached my hand out, placing it in his warm hand. 

I Know, I know. How dare I start a new book when I haven't even updated any of my other ones.. haha Oh well. 

Let me know what you guys think, and if it is even a tad bit good. (Or has potential to be.) 

Xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35 1 4
They weren't meant to be. They were not in love either. They chose their fate. They decided to to be part of each other's life. Can they find their h...
285K 6.5K 25
New Girl. New Town and new beginnings. Is the love true or was it force by their being of supernatural?
137K 7.1K 33
Kat was special, since she could first shift her markings made her stand out. A Black and White Wolf among a primarily Brown pack, it was unheard of...
416 11 9
After growing up in a small secluded pack, Kathryn is forced to leave everything she's ever known and is faced with reconciling her past. As it becom...