Door Fifteen

By piercingwings

Ordinary people do ordinary things, right? Or maybe that was what I wanted to be classified as; ordinary. I a... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23

Chapter 12

17 1 0
By piercingwings

Chapter 12

It was finally time for me to disappear. I choose to wear black because it would most likely blend in with the darkness that surrounded me. I wasn't sure what exactly the time was, but it didn't matter. It was late enough.

A small dilemma that I had to deal with was that I had to actually carry my suitcase until I was outside. It was deathly quiet out in the halls, so I couldn't exactly roll a squeaky suitcase. I knew my arms were going to be tired by the time I was done.

Another thing that I worried about was the gate that I would have to pass. I just hoped that there was some kind of opening, or at least the bars were big enough for me to get through.

I gave myself one last prep talk; I knew it was time to go. I knew I was being a little rash in my decision, but I gave up on trusting the king. He lost that once he had lied to me the second time.

Well, he didn't exactly lie to me the first time, more or less kept secrets that needed to be told. Sighing to myself, I reached for the suitcase and lifted it off the ground. I stumbled a bit; it was really heavy!

I peeked out the door, making sure there wasn't anyone around. Only a crazy person would be up this late; oh, wait. Giving a small giggle, I creek the door open and hope that it doesn't make any sounds. Cautiously, I sneak out of the room with my suitcase in my hands.

"Alright, show time," I whisper into the darkness.

One other tiny problem; it was pitch black. They had no hall lights so it would be hard to get around without making a sound. Oh boy, this was not such a good idea. Maybe I could- no, I need to stop this. I packed and made sure I wouldn't back out last minute.

I was pretty lucky, because by the time I was finally outside, I hadn't made a peep. I couldn't exactly go out the front door so I settled for the back. No guards were in sight, but I knew once I was in the front I would have to hide from them.

I was hoping that they were asleep, but who knows of what will happen tonight. I wasn't exactly prepared when I got to the front. I guess I thought it would take me longer. Thankfully my arms didn't hurt from carrying this lug I call my suitcase.

Unfortunately for me, my life wasn't a cliché story. The guards weren't asleep and seemed alert. Guess this ruins my plan of an easy escape. Oh well, my luck is truly horrible. Well, I dressed in black for a reason.

I looked down at the ground, for some sort of rock I could use. It took a few minutes of searching, but I found a medium size one. I concentrated on using my full force to chuck it across the lawn. I was satisfied when I heard the sound of it bouncing off someone.

"Did you hear that?" I could hear one of them hiss at the rest of them.

Another one cleared his throat, "No, I was dazing off," he sounded sheepish; it was quite amusing.

I wanted them to go check it out though, not discuss it.

"I thought I told you to knock it off! Bloody idiot," the first one mumbled under his breath.

A small giggle came out of my mouth without me noticing. I slapped my hand on my mouth, trying to stop the noise.

"Whatever it was is gone, at least I think. I think at least one of us should go check though," a third voice spoke up.

Their accents were cracking me up. British accents were my favorite; I don't really know why. Guess it was just different than American's.

"Alright, alright," a fourth guy spoke, "if you three would shut up, I will," how many were there?

I knew it was time to go; even if they weren't all going to check. Right when I noticed they were looking the other way, I made a dash for it. To be careful, I picked up my knees.

They were too oblivious to the rock I had thrown to even send a glance my way. I wasn't going to lie; it was a challenge to get to the edge of the lawn. It wasn't your normal front yard, if I'm not mistaken. The iron cage blended in well; considering it was in the middle of the night.

Since I had quite a small frame, I easily slipped through the bars. My suitcase, on the other hand, was a different story. Why had I packed so many things? I was starting to regret that decision, but I knew I would be thankful later.

After a few falls and rolls, I managed to squeeze my bag between the bars. The weight seemed like it was finally off my shoulders, but it felt as if I were missing something. I, of course, ignored the feeling and continued on.

As much as I wanted to crash right here, I knew that wasn't possible. I would be caught before the sun even rises. I don't have much time until they find out I'm gone; it wouldn't be a pretty sight. I could imagine Jeremy's eyes on fire. Shuddering at the thought, I moved swiftly.

It was so sudden; I was frozen like an ice pop. A loud wailing sound made me cover my ears. Had they already found me? Without a second thought, I jumped into the closest bush. I hissed in pain when multiple pricks stabbed my skin.

"Crap," I whispered quietly, placing my hands over my ears again.

I could just picture it now; the frantic shouts about me escaping. The smile on Phoenix's face; pleased that I was finally out of his life. He was, after all, avoiding me. Did I do something to anger him? Oh wait, he's hated me the second I walked through that door.

Every time I moved an inch, the pain got worse. I needed to leave, no matter of how much pain I'm in. Hesitating, I dash out of the bush like lightning. I almost let a scream out of my mouth, but it caught in my throat. Everything hurt so much; it was almost unbearable

I breathed in short pants as I ran for my life. Okay, maybe I was overreacting a bit. The last thing I heard from behind me was the frantic shouts and calls for their soon to be 'princess' on the loose.

It was a long time before I even saw the any sign of lights. I was currently just dragging my suitcase on a deserted road. And no, it wasn't much fun. I was quite starving, if I say so myself. Maybe it wasn't such a bad idea to stop on the side of the road to eat.

I sat down on the soft grass and zipped open the suitcase. Mine as well stay here for the rest of the night; it wouldn't do any harm, I guess. I tugged out the large blanket and formed a pillow, placing it under me.

I reached in for some snacks, hungrily opening them without any mercy. My stomach growled at just the sight of the food that was in front of me. I also got out a water bottle, placing it beside me. I ripped open the wrapper and dug into the food.

After a while of walking, not to mention that I was covered in thorns, I got used to the pain. I knew it would get infected if I didn't treat it, but I didn't have much of a choice. I don't even know of how many there are stuck in my skin.

I tried to count them, but lost track after a while. I must have jumped into a thorn bush.

"Of course I did, idiot," I mumbled aloud.

Once I was satisfied, I lied down on the grass. Oddly enough, the ground was soft enough to lie down on. The drizzling was the only thing that was bugging me. Sighing loudly, I threw the remains of my food in the suitcase and shut it.

Giving one last sigh, I threw the blanket over my head and let sleep take its course.

____________________________________________________

It's been a few weeks since I first left. I didn't have any regrets though. Sure, it was tough dealing with the world, but I got around. It was a little hard to find food and water, but I always ended up finding some. I sure got some strange looks though.

The last time I looked in a mirror, I didn't even notice myself. It was getting even more difficult with these thorns that were scattered across my body. Each one of them dug deep in my skin, giving no mercy. It was just another thorn in my side, literally!

I really needed to use the restroom, but I don't want to risk getting caught. One big problem I had was that the king ordered anyone who saw me, to make sure I was returned to him. I wasn't some object that could be toyed around with!

The only reason I got away with people not noticing me, is because I look nothing like my normal self. My hair was a tangled mess and I always had a miserable expression on my face. I don't know why, but I felt out of place.

Biting my lip slightly, I roll my suitcase behind me and enter the gas station. As soon as I walked in, I was glared at. As far as anyone knew, I was just a homeless loner. Technically, I was. The cashier gave me a sympathetic gaze.

The sound of a TV caught my attention. My picture, which I have no idea of how they got, flashed on the screen. The woman gasped, making me turn towards her. I kept my head down low, but still was able to see her.

"Show your face, girl," she ordered in a stern tone.

I almost didn't want to; I think she recognized me. With the tone of her voice, I knew I was going to have to one way or another. Sighing quietly, I lifted my head. A started gasp came out of her mouth as she stumbled back.

"Is your name Sylvia, dear?" She asked quietly, almost as if she was afraid to.

I shrugged, "Why should I tell you?" I raised an eyebrow at her, almost daringly.

She looked shocked at my sudden behavior. I almost smirked; this place really had changed me. So far, I didn't like it that much. It was nice to finally not be as shy though. It was hard to strike up a conversation sometimes, back at home I mean.

"I'm calling the royal's right away! Grab her," she shouted loudly, startling me.

I was instantly attacked by some loon. I flinched in pain; it was horrible! Guess those thorns really did something after all. I startled struggling, but I knew there was no escape. I was doomed and I wasn't looking forward to seeing the royal's again.

All I could focus on was the way the person held me and the endless pain. What was the king going to do with me? Probably torture me until no end. You could say I wasn't really looking forward to it.

I was half out of it, but I could still fainting hear the conversation around me. The people who were in the gas station were staring at me in disgusted and disappointment. If I say so myself; I was pretty good at picking up people's emotions.

"Yeah, she's bloody here alright. I don't know how in the blazes she got here, but I'm glad she can return home," the woman sounded muted to me; I think I was in shock.

I tried to turn around to get a look at who had a hold on me, but the person's grip wouldn't loosen. It was a firm grip, so I'm guessing it was a man. Snapping out of my shocked state, I start squirming again.

"Let go of me, dude! Get your fifthly fingers off of me," I snapped, instantly annoyed with the person behind me.

A girlish scoff came out of the person's mouth, "How dare you insult me, and to call me a boy!" This person was defiantly not a boy.

Her arms let go of me and I knew this was my only chance to get away. I spun around as fast as possible, sprinting out the doors. Annoyed and panicked words seeped out of the girl's mouth as I dashed out. What I wasn't expecting though, was to run into a rock wall.

I instantly fell on my butt, the crash sending pain waves up my spine. Dazed and a little confused, I hesitantly peaked up. I flinched away as soon as I caught the deep violet eyes. Oh I was in for it; he was a monster and there was no hiding this time.

"Do you know how long I've been searching for you? You are so ungrateful, girl! I gave you a bed and a warm house to live in. I welcomed you and tried to be polite," he was absolutely outraged.

"I've had at least five search parties constantly looking for you! You stole my things and took off when I made it clear for you not to! The whole dimension has been in ruckus, just because of a simple girl," he laughed humorlessly.

After about ten minutes of constant ranting, and me continually flinching away, he actually gave me a real look. His eyes went large from shock and he looked speechless. It was sort of funny, the way his mouth opened and closed like a fish out of water.

He sighed quietly, "Let's get you fixed up. Any longer and it could be dangerous," his eyes were lighter now, but that didn't mean his anger didn't fade. He gently picked me up in his arms, making me feel like a small child.

"I'm honored that you would come all the way to my gas station," the cashier smiled in a flirty way that it made me want to snort.

I slightly smiled when I saw him give an eye roll. Guess being the king didn't have all the perks in the world. The only thing he did was, gave her a small smile and grabbed my suitcase. I'm sure that blanket in there smelled of horrible dirt.

"Such a shame, I thought you weren't a troublemaker," he shook his head down at me, trying to lighten the mood.

I croaked out in a weak voice, "You're the one that made me in the first place," I teased him right back; there was no escape, I knew that much.

The whole Elisha situation popped in my head; I was still mad at him for that. Did he even know that I knew about her? Did clone Elisha spill the beans that I did? How did she react when she found out I left? Guess there was only one way I was finding out.

"So, why did you run away? There has to be some sort of reason," he mumbled the last part.

Guess I was finding out sooner than I thought, even though I was nowhere near ready to let him know. Ah, the wonders of being in another dimension.

© piercingwings 2013

*Edited*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 127 23
Before I was 16 , I'm an ordinary girl . When I turned 16 , I'm not so ordinary . When things get rough , just witch it !
58 5 8
I had never fit in anywhere. If you had white hair and freakishly bright silver eyes, that people swear swirls sometimes, that'd be a pretty difficul...
180K 2.6K 20
I was staying with my dad, because my stupid mom had to go to Paris with her friends for vacation knowing I start school this year. I would be stayin...
105 2 78
Elizabeth has a very mundane boring life but sometimes she needs to vent about anything and everything. The only relief she finds is by writing it d...