Time Will Tell

By SandyLoyd

Romance and adventure…a trip to where an American tradition began… Libby Edwards, a gifted horsewoman, unwitt... More

Time Will Tell Part 1
Time Will Tell Part 2
Time Will Tell part 3
Time Will Tell part 4
Time Will Tell Part 5
Time Will Tell Part 6
Time Will Tell Part 7
Time Will Tell part 8
Time Will Tell part 9
Time Will Tell part 10
Time Will Tell Part 11
Time Will Tell part 12
Time Will Tell part 13
Time Will Tell part 14
Time Will Tell part 15
Time Will Tell part 16
Time Will Tell part 17
Time Will Tell part 18
Time Will Tell - Part 19
Time Will Tell - part 20
Time Will Tell - Part 21
Time Will Tell - Part 23
Time Will Tell - Part 24
Time Will Tell - Part 25
Time Will Tell - Part 26
Time Will Tell - Part 27
Time Will Tell - Epilogue and author's note

Time Will Tell - Part 22

33.7K 824 27
By SandyLoyd

Colin waited patiently while Libby played maid to Giselle after arriving back at the hotel from the ball. Then Libby gathered up the necessary items and he ushered her into his suite. Now that he had her to himself, he intended to take his time and fully savor their night together. Slowly he undressed her. As her garments fell to the floor one by one, he kissed and caressed each exposed area.

Once Libby was naked, Colin quickly dispensed of his own clothing. He began gently rubbing her foot, following the action with kisses. The sensation caused her to giggle. He did it again and drew the same response.

“I love the sound of your laughter,” he said, adding another kiss.

She stroked his sides with a soft caress, an area that the minx knew was sensitive. Colin flinched and glanced at her. Both erupted into gales of laughter and fell back on the pillows laughing.

Their laughter died down and all teasing ceased.

Colin caught Libby’s head in his hands. He lost himself in her light green eyes and said in a fervent voice, “I love you, Elizabeth.” He kissed her once. Twice. Three times, before adding, “Your love has given me so much happiness in the short time I’ve known you. I never knew I could feel so alive.”

Their lips reconnected for a soul-searching kiss that went on forever. Colin wondered if he would crave her kisses if he had ten years to spend with her or a lifetime, rather than the short while they were given?

Her hands slid up and down his body. Her tender touch made him yearn to hold her and never let go.

“Oh, Libby, you’re my light,” he whispered. “My world will darken when you leave.”

Pain swept into her eyes before she closed them. When she opened them again, they were rimmed with moisture.

“It unmans me to see your tears. I’m sorry, Libby. I don’t mean to make you cry.” He kissed her face, tasting the salty drops. The action, meant to comfort, soon changed to need—the need to be closer together, to be joined as one. Colin smiled as his erection grew. “See what you do to me. If I had a lifetime with you, I’d never have my fill,” he murmured before pressing into her and feeling like he’d come home.

Afterward, Libby fell asleep while he held her close, unwilling to relinquish his hold. He stared into the dark room with a heavy heart.

As dawn crept into the horizon, Colin hugged her closer. The movement was enough to wake her. She opened her eyes and the affection lurking there drew him like manna draws a starving man. He shouldn’t want her after last night, but that didn’t seem to matter. Coherent thought vanished the second he entered her warmth and didn’t return until long after they’d both skyrocketed into pleasure.

She stretched, giving him a sultry look that only added to his desire to keep her close. “I’m feeling very replete and boneless,” she purred. “I relished being in your arms the entire night. I could stay this way forever.”

Colin sighed and kissed her forehead before making himself comfortable beside her. The love he felt for her was near to bursting in his heart. Libby might not be considered a classic beauty, but she was the most beautiful woman he’d ever known. Her beauty came from within, from her soul. Her presence shed light on all of those around her, especially on him. All night he’d lain awake with an ache in his heart thinking about how dark his life would be without her. No longer content to let her leave without giving her his name, he needed her vows. He brought up the only subject he could think of that would get her to agree to such a thing.

“Libby, I’ve been thinking.” He picked up her hand and kissed it. “What if you’re with child?”

“I doubt that I am,” she said, dismissing his concerns with a warm smile.

“But what if you are?” he whispered urgently.

“I don’t know how to answer that.” She sat up, clearly flustered. “What are you getting at?”

“There are ways to prevent conception, but we’ve done none of them. So, it is possible that you could be carrying my babe right now, correct,” he asked, meeting her gaze.

“It’s a very slight possibility and if that happened, I’d cherish your child more than life itself. You have to know that.”

“Maybe so, but if you’ve conceived, what about the child? What are you going to say when he or she asks about me?” He couldn’t stem the intensity of his feelings from showing in his expression.

Libby inhaled sharply, eyeing him thoughtfully. “Colin, exactly what are you saying?”

“Marry me, Libby. Stay with me for as long as we have left as my wife. I want no bastards hanging over my head in the future. When you go back, there is no way I’ll know whether my seed took or not. If you marry me, I’ll at least be assured that I have honored my responsibilities. I want my child to know that I cared enough to give you both my name, even though I’m back in the past.”

~

Libby stared at Colin, open-jawed. The man just kept surprising her. Never in her life had she expected him to offer marriage. She closed her eyes, wishing she wasn’t using birth control and thinking about what he wanted. God help her, but more than anything, she wanted it too.

“Can we do that here, so quickly?”

“Yes, we only need a judge. I’ve a friend who can do it without delay. It won’t be a church ceremony. That would require several weeks’ wait for the banns to be announced. I don’t think we have that long.” Libby was still speechless, and after a long delay, Colin said, “We can keep it secret, except for Gus and Berta—and a few others. But we can be together without shame. I dislike sneaking around.”

She eyed him warily. “What happens when I go home? I mean, if we marry?”

“You go home, and I stay here, but you’ll have my name. That’s what will happen.”

“Will you consider yourself married?”

“Of course I’ll consider myself married,” Colin said indignantly.

“I don’t know about this.” Libby shook her head, knowing she was adding fuel to a fire that could easily grow out of control. “I love you enough to want you to be happy and that means finding someone to love after I’m gone.” It broke her heart to say it and it hurt too much to think of it happening, but she had to set him free. “Will you do that?”

“Without a crystal ball, I don’t know how I’ll feel,” he said. “Just know that if it’s possible for me to find someone else, I will, but don’t make it a requirement.” He ran a hand through his hair. “I should ask the same of you, but to be quite honest, the thought of you in some other man’s arms while I can’t have you leaves me hollow. Still, I do want you to be happy. In your time I’ll be dead, so you’ll in fact be a widow,” he admitted tersely. “And free to remarry.”

Libby put a hand to his lips. “Don’t say that. I don’t want to think that kind of thoughts.”

“Then marry me. Make me the happiest man in the world.”

Blinking back tears, she swallowed hard. “But it won’t be forever.”

“None of us knows how long we have. Please, Libby. It will rest my fears. I can’t live with myself—with the thought of you going into the world without knowing that I cared enough to give you my name.”

Tears streamed down her face and a foreboding feeling crept into her heart. “Oh, Colin,” she whispered, nodding. “This keeps getting deeper. We should never have made love that night under the trees. All we’re doing is prolonging our agony. Yet, I can’t fight you. As long as I’m here, more than anything, I want to be your wife. How could I not? You’re the love of my life.”

“Thank you, Libby,” Colin whispered, kissing her tears as he’d done the night before. The gentle action only brought on more tears.

“Shush,” he said, then smiled. “I seem to have a knack for making you cry.” His smile turned wistful. “Maybe we shouldn’t have consummated things, but we can’t go back, only forward. At least I’ll rest easy, knowing that you’ll have my name. Thank you for that.”

Libby nodded, wondering how things had spiraled so far out of control. Still, she had no power to stop from falling deeper into love with him. After a while, she quit fighting the draw and could only accept the feelings as something that was meant to be.

Colin held her close for long minutes before kissing her forehead and untangling himself from her embrace. After rising, he started to dress and then stepped over to the side of the bed. “I have lots to do today. Get some more sleep while I’m gone. I’ll keep anyone from coming in to clean until later. I’ll also make arrangements for our wedding.” He bent over and kissed her. “I love you, Libby. I’ll be back before lunch.”

After watching him leave, she lay back against the pillow thinking about what the day would yield. The foreboding she felt earlier was gone, replaced by the thought of being Colin’s wife, which now left her completely relaxed. Somehow it felt right. The idea brought a big smile to her face. Libby closed her eyes. In moments, she drifted off to sleep.

When Colin let himself back into the room hours later, he spied Libby still sleeping peacefully. He moved over to the bed and watched her for a few minutes. Discarding his boots, trousers, and shirt, he lay down next to her, pulling her into his embrace. In minutes he, too, was sound asleep.

Two hours later he slowly woke. He glanced at his timepiece on the nightstand and noticed that it was getting late. He bent to kiss Libby’s neck, nuzzling her awake.

She smiled and stretched. Colin felt her grin as he continued nuzzling her. She eventually met his lips with an urgent mouth.

Colin allowed the kiss to continue. Just before he lost all logic, as he had a way of doing when kissing her, he lifted his head. His grin turned into satisfaction personified. “I love waking up with you, but we have no time to dally. I’ve made arrangements for Judge Henry to do the honors. The Websters will be meeting us at two o’clock.”

He arose from the bed and grabbed his trousers. When he noticed that Libby was still lying there with her hands under her chin, watching him, he planted a hand on her bottom, hidden beneath the sheet. Giving it a squeeze, he said, “Come, my love, time’s a-wasting.”

He moved to pick up his shirt.

Libby sighed. “I’d be perfectly happy to spend the day in bed.” She sat up.

Chuckling, Colin stopped dressing and watched her stretch. She reached for the sheet and tucked it under both arms. He laughed as an embarrassed flush rose from her tempting breasts and traveled all the way to her forehead.

She quickly pulled the sheet over her head.

His chuckle receded to a wide grin. “No need to cover yourself. I’ve seen it all before.” He bent over, pulled the sheet down, and kissed the top of her breast. “And I’ve tasted it all before. You’re lovely. I could watch you forever.”

Libby blushed a deeper shade of pink. “I know I’m not well endowed. My boyish shape is hardly one that elicits men’s passion.”

Colin brought her hand to his lips and kissed it. “Want to bet? You’ll always bring out my passion. I’m ready and willing even now to taste you. Besides, your breasts are beautifully shaped and plenty big for my purposes.” Then he stood and pulled his shirt over his head and said, “Now quit stalling and get dressed.”

“Yes sir, Mr. Thorpe.” She jumped up and saluted him.

When done dressing, they went to collect Giselle.

“So, what is on the agenda for today? More sight-seeing,” she asked, answering Colin’s rap at the door.

Libby grinned. “How about attending a wedding?”

“Really?” Giselle shrieked, practically jumping up and down.

Colin winced and said with a snort, “What is it about women and weddings that always prompts such excitement?”

Libby’s grin stayed in place. “I don’t have the slightest clue why. We also love babies and have to dance around when anyone turns up pregnant. It’s a chick flick kind of thing.”

Holding out both elbows, Colin drew his brow together. “What is a chick flick?”

Libby only laughed and waved a hand. “Never mind. Suffice it to say, we women love marriage and babies.”

“A fact I’m well aware of. It’s a chick flick that I’m having trouble grasping.”

They strolled through the hallway, down the stairs, and into the lobby, laughing and bantering back and forth as they entered the restaurant for an early lunch.

After a hearty meal, Colin looked at his timepiece. “We have barely enough time to make it to Judge Henry’s chambers.” He arose. “Shall we?”

Susan and Malcolm Webster were already there waiting for them.

Judge Henry gathered everyone together and began the ceremony. “Dearly beloved. We are gathered here…”

The intensity of Colin’s gaze pierced Libby’s heart and stole her breath as the judge asked, “Do you, Colin Thorpe, take this woman, Elizabeth Edwards, for your wife from this day forward, to have and to hold, to love and to cherish, for better or worse, richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, till death do you part?”

Colin nodded, his demeanor sober. “I do.”

She kept her gaze fastened on his as the judge turned her way and asked her the same question.

With all the enthusiasm she could muster, Libby said, “I do.” She had to pinch herself to make sure she wasn’t dreaming when she heard the words, “I pronounce you man and wife. You may now kiss your bride,” and Colin captured her lips with his. As Colin slipped a gold ring on her finger, the judge said. “It pleases me to present Mr. and Mrs. Colin Thorpe.”

Amazing how a ceremony that took less than fifteen minutes from start to finish produced a sort of transformation. Libby felt different. She knew then that her love for Colin would last her a lifetime. Looking at the smiling faces around her, it all seemed so surreal, like it was happening to someone else.

When all the paperwork was signed, Colin shook the judge’s hand, then turned to Libby. “Well, Mrs. Thorpe? How does it feel to be married to someone who loves you with all his heart?”

Libby’s heart skipped a beat as she whispered, “I will always cherish the idea of being your wife.” She offered a wobbly smile. “Even if it’s only for a short while. I love you, Colin Thorpe. For as long as I live, you will own my heart.”

“What more could a man ask?” Colin’s smile, dulled with sadness, never reached his eyes.

Everyone started talking at once, drawing their attention.

The Websters each gave Libby a hug. Then Giselle stood, waiting her turn. “I wish you happiness, Libby, for as long as time allows.” She winked. “Didn’t I tell you he wanted to marry you? I can sense these things.”

“Thank you, Giselle.” Libby hugged her tightly. “I am happy right now. What more could anyone ask for? Good friends and the love of my life all in the same room at the same time.” She took a step back and warned, “Don’t forget. We’re keeping our wedding a secret for the time being.”

Giselle smiled warmly. “I know, Libby. I won’t breathe a word of it to anyone.”

Colin interrupted. “If we want to see the balloon ascension, we need to hurry. I’ve had the hotel fix us a supper and provide a blanket for the afternoon. Come, you two. We don’t want to miss the show.”

They spent the rest of the afternoon and evening with the Websters and Giselle at the park-like grounds where hot air balloons had taken off.

Sitting on a blanket, watching the people all around, Libby thought back to events in her own time and noted similarities. Simon Harrington, a young man who’d been at the ball the night before, spotted Giselle and introduced himself. He claimed a spot next to her on the blanket. The Websters had their own blanket, which was laid out next to Libby and Colin’s.

Libby couldn’t remember a more carefree afternoon. The weather was wonderful, neither too hot nor too cold. The light breeze felt good on her face.  Billowy, fluffy white clouds sailed through the sky, every now and again covering up the sun, cooling things off a bit.

On a bandstand in the distance, a band played the latest tunes while couples danced. Libby recognized some of the pieces, but didn’t know them by name. Life seemed to move at a much slower pace here in 1874. People of all kinds packed the park—children playing games, men talking with other men, women strolling with parasols, showing off their finest clothes.

When the balloons lifted off, it was another colorful sight to see, again reminding Libby of the Derby Festival. Every year, during the two-week celebration preceding the Kentucky Derby, there was a balloon race with a balloon glow the night before. Maybe that’s how the tradition started, she thought, feeling a little homesick and remembering Bev and their tentative plans. But she quickly recovered when she looked over at Colin and caught his smile. She’d be home soon enough. When that happened, there would be a hole in her heart a mile wide. Shoving that out too, she gazed up at the sky and the rainbow of colored balloons that headed for a distant target.

At dusk they enjoyed a sumptuous meal, compliments of the Galt House restaurant. The Websters had brought wine. Libby’s glass was never empty from the moment she sat down earlier in the afternoon. Pleased to watch another Derby Festival tradition, she was slightly tipsy when the fireworks started, not long after darkness set in.

All too soon the evening was over. As they headed back to the hotel, Libby marveled over the magic of the last two days and seeing life as it existed in the past. As much as she missed her modern conveniences, she couldn’t get over how people truly celebrated simple pleasures. Maybe even more so, because there weren’t so many distractions.

There was a joie de vivre—a love of life—present in everything they did. Children didn’t miss video games; after all, they hadn’t been invented yet. Instead, they took pleasure in hitting a ball with a stick and playing hide and seek. Adults didn’t care if there were no television or movies to watch. They enjoyed the afternoon’s festivities and the conversations at hand.

After observing it all, Libby finally understood it was the people and their interactions that made the world great. That never changed in over a hundred years. It suddenly hit her what a great gift she’d been granted—to remember this time and these people for the rest of her life.

Outside their hotel room, one Colin told her he was happy to be sharing openly with his wife, he opened the door.

“Come here, my tipsy vixen,” he said, picking her up and carrying her over the threshold and into the room. He placed her on the bed. “I enjoyed the day with you, Mrs. Thorpe, watching you have a good time. This has been one of the happiest in recent memory. When I’m with you, I feel as if everything’s right in the world.”

“I think the bed’s spinning.” Libby giggled. “I can’t believe you got me drunk on my wedding night.”

He sat down next to her and helped her sit, then began undoing her buttons. “I hope you’re not too intoxicated to partake of our wedding night, my dear.” He chuckled and continued in a more teasing vein. “I sensed you were a woman to lead me far astray, but I never imagined you’d be too inebriated to consummate our vows.”

Libby merely laughed. “Well, Mr. Thorpe, if I’m inebriated, it’s only because I want so badly what only you have to give.”

Boldly she gripped his shirt and tugged, bringing his lips to hers.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.5K 1.6K 30
[COMPLETED: undergoing editing] Taylor Hastings has always dreamed of attending the prestigious Elliot Falls Academy, but it came with a price, she w...
597 25 21
"Your body speaks louder than your words,"- he said adamantly. "Your beautiful face is trying to hide emotions, but your eyes are giving you away." H...
2.8K 178 23
Fifteen-year-old Kaylin Podmore has a pretty great life, basically everything a teenager living in Lexington, Kentucky could ever dream of. Her paren...
210K 9.8K 29
Tylee Jackson lives on a 100,000 acre ranch, outside of Sundance, Texas, that she runs herself. She is very shy and gets social anxiety easily, her b...