Phantom [Andley Short Story]

By CrashieDashie

Andy Biersack and Ashley Purdy have been best friends since 1st grade, dating since 9th, and are about to ent... More

Phantom: The Beginning
Phantom: The Realization
Phantom: The Side-Kick

Phantom: The End

747 48 11
By CrashieDashie

Despite the oddity of the situation, Andy let Josh assist in any ways he insisted he could. That mostly consisted of, as he had initially argued, covering for Andy if he has to disappear for whatever reason that was ghost related, but he was mostly moral support, really.

Josh was who Andy confided in, who he trusted with all secrets at this point. Josh was the only one who knew what had been happening in Andy's life. Andy could really trust Josh...

Andy didn't tell anyone else, either because he couldn't trust them, or he didn't want to put them in danger in any circumstances, or he just didn't want to know how they'd react. If he told his parents, they'd probably try 'sucking the ghost out of him,' if he told people at random, then word would surely get to Jordan, of all people, and Andy'd get completely alienated, and if he told Ashley... What would happen to Ashley? He'd insist on 'protecting' Andy, like he did at school when it came to the harassment from the football team, but what could Ashley do for Andy in this case? There was so much Andy worried about when it came to possibly having to confront the situation, but for now he was choosing to just lie his way out of any situation that called for it. If Ashley asked why he was out of class for so long, Andy'd simply say he got caught up in a conversation with someone.

So far it had been going smoothly.

After the incident in the locker room, seeing that ghost and all, Andy had managed to grasp the fact it was now his job to deal with it. He learned that the crystallized breath was his way of knowing there was a ghost nearby, and he taught himself how to control his abilities.

Now it was 3 years later. Graduated from high school, and decided he'd stay in town instead of moving off to California with Ashley. It upset Ashley, obviously, and it broke Andy's heart to stay back, but it was for the best right now. There was so much ghost activity here that he had to focus on. He couldn't just leave and let it all overrun the place. He had to be here.

Josh stayed with, as well. They got an apartment together to not only make their partnership work, but also to help one another financially. Ghost fighting didn't exactly pay...

Andy had become a bit 'famous,' in that photos taken of him in-action were being used on billboards to advertise random companies and products. He'd hear people call after him, and they had dubbed him 'The Phantom.' It was generic, not very original, but it wasn't like Andy had even planned on naming himself anyways. News anchors had shouted after him in attempt to get an interview, but he always ignored them. Did he like having attention? Hell yeah. Did he want attention that could possibly blow his cover? Hell no.

"I really think you should come on out and stay with me, Ands... You'd love it here." Ashley sat on the other end of a Friday night Skype call, a glint of hope flickering in his honey eyes. After all this time, Ashley was still so insistent Andy move out to be with him. And, honestly, Andy wanted to so badly.
"I can't." Andy sighed heavily.
"Why?" Ashley sighed back, equally as heavy. "You know what- forget it. I'll just cancel my flight out there."
"What?! Why?" Andy's eyes widened, the remark startling him.
Ashley sat up and huffed, arms folding over his chest. "Clearly you'd rather spend time with Josh than me. Flying out there to be a third wheel when hanging out with my own boyfriend is a waste of my time and money."
Andy panicked. "No- No, Ashley, stop. It isn't like that, and it won't be like that. Don't cancel, c'mon, we haven't seen each other in so long... Please." He begged. Ashley ran a hand through his hair and looked at something off screen.
"Fine. But Andy, seriously. I don't know how much longer I can do this long-distanced thing. I'm actually making quite a name for myself here, I can't move back there and lose it all."
Andy cringed. "Ok- can- can we just talk about that when you're here?" He ran a hand through his hair. Ashley looked back at him and nodded. "Yeah.. I'll see you Thursday, then."

Andy nodded and muttered a similar remark back, listening as Ashley hung up the Skype call. He closed the lid of his laptop and flopped back onto his bed.
"Ashley troubles?" Josh sighed, leaning on the door frame of Andy's room. Andy looked at him and nodded, rolling onto his side. Josh shook his head and came over, sitting down. "Look, man... Just tell him. It's been long enough now... He's your boyfriend. He deserves to know."

And as hard as it was to admit, Josh was right. Andy decided it was high-time he break the truth to Ashley.

The day Ashley arrived was the day Andy hoped to tell him, but then he pushed it back.
The next day he planned to tell him, and then, again, pushed it back.

Finally, the day before Ashley was scheduled to return to California, Andy made his decision. The timing was a bit bad, though. They were at an amusement park, which was jam packed with people. It was Halloween weekend, so lots of people had come for the seasonal attractions. Currently they were on the quite mediocre Haunted House ride, sitting side by side in the small cart.
"So. Um, Ashley.." Andy cleared his throat, looking over at him. Andy could only see a dull outline of Ashley's face, as the lighting in the haunted house was dim and flickering.
"Yeah?" He sighed.
Andy frowned. Ever since Ashley had arrived, he'd been kind of weird. Not in any way specifically, but just weird.
"I need to- uh- I need to tell you something. And it's really- really important-" He was interrupted when he saw the small puff of breath appear from his lips, sending chills down Andy's spine.
Ashley furrowed his brow. "Babe, are you okay?"
"Yeah- Fine. Um." Andy looked around as the cart stopped for a 'spooky' set up that was decorated in one of the hallways. "What I want to tell you is that I'm..." He paused again and saw a figure floating around the corner. That was definitely a ghost. Andy thought to himself. "I'm... I- I'm gonna be right back." He hopped out of the cart and ran after the figure, ignoring Ashley's shouts for him to come back. Andy heard the tracks move and knew the cart was well on it's way through the rest of the ride. He knew he'd have to face the 'how'd you get out of the cart so easily if the bar was practically pinning you in' question, but he didn't want to worry about that now. 

It took roughly ten minutes for Andy to capture the ghost in what he and Josh had so ridiculously deemed the 'ghost thermos.' Basically it was one of his dad's old inventions that Andy had taken a while back. It came in handy. Just as he was about to change back, he felt another shiver. "Oh for fucks sake." He flew out one of the decorative haunted house windows and went up high enough where he could see the whole park.

The rest of the people saw him too. A mob of people gathered down below, holding phones up to get pictures and videos. Andy'd love it if what he was currently surrounded by didn't scare the living daylights out of him.

Nearly every single ghost he'd combated with surrounded him in a perfect circle, wicked grins on their ghoulish faces.

"No. There's no way..." Andy whispered, hovering mid-air and turning himself in a slow circle to meet each and every cold, dead gaze.

Down below, Ashley stood a few feet away from the mob, gazing up at the scene in absolute horror. His mind was stuck processing that there were ghosts floating above the fucking amusement park. Wait. What about Andy?

"Um- excuse me?" Ashley ran over to the operator of the Haunted House, or who he assumed it was. "My boyfriend, he- he ran off in the middle of the ride and I can't find him."
"Impossible." The man's face fell. "He couldn't have unlatched the mechanical bar. Only the person operating the ride can."
Ashley paled. "No, I saw him run off. I did."
"Odd... No, I haven't seen him. I can call security if you'd like."

Ashley was about to answer, but the sounds of shrieks and panicked squeals caught his attention. Above, where the ring of ghosts were once calmly positioned, was now a mess of what was most definitely utter chaos. The black and white figure that was once floating in the direct center seemed to manage to push them off enough to conjure what looked to be a high-tech thermos out of thin air. If this were any other situation, Ashley would laugh hysterically. Who would use a thermos in any situation?

There was a loud mix of groans and wails from the specters above as it seemed they were all getting pulled into the small item. 

And then silence. Total, complete silence. The lone Phantom left floating in the sky lowered slowly and the crowd backed up as the figure touched the ground. The black fabric he seemed to have on as some sort of suit was torn in some spots, and the white hair was fallen in front of his tired and beaten face. Ashley pushed his way to the front, gaping at the sight.

Andy, completely worn out and exhausted, lifted his head, offering a weak smile to the crowd. His lip was a bit split, but that was the least of his worries.
Ashley made eye contact with him, just as Andy's eyes slowly faded from the glowing green back to their natural blue color. Then he collapsed. Ashley crept a bit closer, unsure if he should get close or not, but as soon as Andy's figure shifted back to his previous, human state, he ran.

"Andy!" Ashley's voice cracked, he had shouted so loud for his lover that now lay on the dirty concrete. He knelt down and pulled him up to his chest. "Andy, oh my god, oh my god..." He repeated over, and over, and over. How had he not noticed this before? He was both in shock of what he had just witnessed, and utterly horrified. Not because of Andy, but because of how much of a toll it seemed to have taken on him. The fight barely lasted five minutes, yet Andy was completely worn out.

Andy's eyes shot open, the crystal blue having returned. He sat up quickly and looked himself over.
White tank top, denim jacket- he had changed back? He lifted his eyes and saw the crowd of people, and the few news crews that were sweeping in for a story.

"Fuck. Fuck- no." Andy looked at Ashley, and as their eyes met, Ashley knew what he had to do. Ashley stood up and pulled Andy with him, sweeping him up into his arms and walking towards the crowd. "Wait- Ashley, no- what are you doing-"
"We're going home." Ashley drawled, ignoring the news anchors and the rowdy civilians. Andy cringed and buried his face into Ashley's tee shirt the whole way, refusing to open his eyes until he felt himself get put down into a car. He peeked at Ashley, who got in silently on the drivers side of the car.

"Ashley, I-"
"Don't. Just... don't." He cut him off, pursing his lips. Andy sat up slowly, watching him carefully, studying his body language. He was upset. Andy knew he was upset... "You... You are so god damn stupid sometimes, Andy."
"What?"
"You are. You could have been hurt so much worse, you can't just run off like that! You can't not tell me these things! I thought we could tell each other anything, Andy." Ashley shot him a pained look. He looked more hurt than angry...

Andy looked away, unable to look any longer. "I know. I know, and we can- It's just that... How would you have reacted if I came up to you and said 'hey, I'm half ghost now.'" He glanced back.
"I don't know."
"Exactly. I didn't want to find out if it was going to be a bad reaction." Andy rubbed his eyes. "That's why I didn't move with you. I knew... I knew I was needed here."

There was silence, only increasing the nerves that built up within Andy. His heart raced.

"Please don't leave me." He croaked. "I was going to tell you today, honestly I was!"
Ashley sighed and leaned over the arm rest, cupping his cheek with a hand.

"Andy, listen to me, okay?" He murmured, holding eye contact.
Andy nodded.
"Whether you're half ghost or not, you're still the dumbass that head butt people to be line leader in 3rd grade."
Andy frowned. "Is that supposed to be good?"
With a soft chuckle, Ashley kissed his lips. "How's this... Half ghost or not, you're still the goofball I fell in love with."

Andy blushed faintly. "Better..." He sighed contently and kissed him back gently. "Does that offer to move back with you still stand, by the way?"
Ashley pulled back, confused. "But I thought-"
"I think it's best if I leave after what happened today..." Andy stopped him with an awkward laugh. "Y'know, I'm famous now and all." He teased, winking.
Ashley rolled his eyes. "Right. Of course you can move back with me, doll face." He sat back in his seat and drove them back to Andy's place, where they promptly began to pack as they filled Josh in on what happened. Not before taking a much needed nap, that is. The day had worn them both out, and despite the shocking turn of events, things still worked out okay.

A/N: shit ending yikes sorry buT YO FINALLY DONE

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 65.2K 119
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
226M 6.9M 92
When billionaire bad boy Eros meets shy, nerdy Jade, he doesn't recognize her from his past. Will they be able to look past their secrets and fall in...
1M 40.6K 93
𝗟𝗼𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝗲, 𝗹𝘂𝗰𝗸𝗶𝗹𝘆 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗵𝗲𝗿, 𝗔𝗻𝘁𝗮𝗿𝗲𝘀 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 �...
3.9M 159K 69
Highest rank: #1 in Teen-Fiction and sci-fi romance, #1 mindreader, #2 humor Aaron's special power might just be the coolest- or scariest- thing ever...