Alfonso's Bride

By tartiana

Forced into marriage for a business deal, Helena has to face the difficulties of being a wife. Her misery ho... More

ME
Prologue
Home- 1
Wedding- 2
Wedding night- 3
Shopping- 4
Good goes wrong-5
St Peter's... 6
Diagnosed-7
Hospital-8
Shower- 10
Getting Green-11
Apologizing- 12
Day Out-13
Suicide- 14
Gags- 15
Day in bed- 16
Day with Annie- 17
hospital-18
Dance-19
Melanie-20
Alfonso!!!-21
Revelation-22
Hospital-23
Coming home -24
two years later...25
EPILOGUE

Hospital 2- 9

2.2K 75 1
By tartiana

Helena opened her eyes to be struck by bright light across her eyes. Clair stood near the blinders smiling at her guiltily as she was the one who had opened the blinders and let the sun rays into the room. She was in full maid lace. Black maid tunic and a white apron, white knee high lace stockings and black pumps. Her hair was tied into a side bun under a black kitchen cap.

Helena sat up on her bed and smiled at the woman in front of her. "Good morrow," Helena nodded at the woman who had just greeted her.  "Annie said I can start work today morrow. I'll be in the scullery maiding unless them other acquaintances gonna be uncomfortable w'me aroun' an' all. You can choose what I'll do if you need to."

"You talk different." Helena noted.

Clair chuckled a bit then said, "Nay...you talk different. They'll talk like this in St Peter's. Sir Diego too. He's able to change it into all posh and high sounding like you though. I ran the bath for you as instructed by Annie. She said you'll be off to St Peter's with Jordan before noon. I have told Jordan to organize the transport.
Anything else for you m'lady?"

"You talk a lot but I love it. I love the way you talk too." She said already getting out of her bed and walking to the already run bath.

"I do talk a lot, don't I now?" Helena would explain about Clair as soon as Alfonso woke up, he would understand why there is a stranger in the house.

"Need anythin' else?" Helena shook her head and got into the bathroom to get her bath before she went out of the house to find Jordan already prepared for them to leave.

"Good morning Mrs Diego. It is almost impossible to tell that there was a heavy downpour yesterday night. Are you ready to leave?" Helena gave a slight nod looking at the sky then they were off to St Peter's as fast as Jordan could take them. Sometimes Helena felt that her silence could be mistaken for being rude. Instead of the condescendingly rude silence rich people possessed, Helena was naturally short of words. She never said much especially to people she was not well acquainted with. The roads were not slippery since the sun had played a huge part in drying the rain up.

It was however a bit cold despite the sun playing a losing game of trying to warm the living species in the world.

""""""""""""""""""""

Helena got into the hospital and headed straight to the reception as instructed by Doctor Foster the day before. She was nervous and wished that she had come in with Jordan rather than send him back home.

"Good morning. I'm looking for Sir Diego's room please." She said calmly and the receptionist smiled at her then looked at her book of records. She picked up her phone, spoke a series of numbers into it the started nodding. She mentioned Sir Diego's name and hummed a series of responses.

"He was moved into the first class ward, Sir Diego senior paid the expenses yesterday soon after you left. Sir Diego was put in room two-five-seven. Up the stairs, on the last floor and seventh door, you open it there is a corridor to the left. Pass three doors then you will find another corridor. He is on the second of last door. That's a bit confusing is it not?" Helena nodded then sighed.

"I'll try and survive looking for it."

She turned around and started walking towards the stairs when her name was called. She whipped her head to see Donald rushing over to her.

"How are you?" He asked handing her a cup of coffee then flashing one of his beautiful smiles.

"I fair well, Doctor Dawson but why are you so courteous to buy me another cup of espresso?"

Dawson raised a questioning eyebrow at her and then shrugged, "Nothing, I am just being me. So your husband's room, two-five-seven. I shall take you there. Shall we? And call me Donald please." Doctor Dawson led the way to Alfonso's room making petty conversations. He stood by the doorway of room two-five-seven motioning with her head for him to enter.

"So I'll see you when you come out. I am only attending to a patient now but I am free for the day after two hours if there is no emergency. I'm afraid of emergency surgeries, but that does not mean I'm not good at them." He winked at her and opened the door for her.

She nodded and got into the room where Alfonso lay covered by blue hospital duvets. He had a white cap on and had tubes all over his face and body. He was in a transparent glass not moving even a bit. Helena looked back to find the door closed, Doctor Dawson already out and gone leaving them in privacy.

She fingered the glass instinctively looking at someone who resembled Alfonso Diego, the sophisticated man she had married. He looked fragile and totally helpless as he lay breathing through a mask. The monitors were beeping rhythmically but otherwise the room was silent.

"Sir Diego...how are you?" Something pricked in her heart and tears welled up in her eyes, she chuckled incredulously. "That is a stupid question, you are not fine. You don't look okay."

She snivelled then wiped her tears off her cheeks. "Clanville is quiet. I am fine and so is everyone. Yesterday there was a storm, I slept pretty late, the raindrops were irritating. I am talking too much now." She snivelled again wiping her top lip which happened to be wet due to the running nose.

"The poor soul sat..." She began singing, something she did to sooth her heart. Alfonso's illness made her scared and vulnerable, she wondered what she would do without him in the house.

"Sighing under the sycamore tree..." She listened to the monitors beeping and the water works broke out even the more. What if...what if he died. No he wouldn't die.

"Sing all a green willow. Sing Willow...sing willow..." She turned leaning her back on the glass tube Alfonso lay in and sunk to the ground. She cried for herself and her parents who had let her go to a stranger. She cried for the day she had said I do to marrying Sir Diego. Finally, she cried for Sir Diego who lay unconscious on the bed and could not help himself in any way.

"Her hand on her bosom, her head on her knee..." She looked up at Alfonso and smiled through tears, "Why am I breaking down, Sir Diego?" Alfonso obviously did not answer but the door did as it creaked open. She stood up awkwardly and rushed towards the doctor who had just opened the door.

"Why is he in that glass?" She whispered now near doctor Foster and wiping the tears off her eyes using the sleeves of her dress.

"Good morning Lady Diego. We incubated him because he could easily catch infections and the atmospheric temperature is too cold for him. He will be fine soon."

"Thank you, Doctor Foster."

"It is my job to suit your needs. Doctor Dawson wants to see you, he is outside." Helena nodded and followed Doctor Foster as he got out of Alfonso's room. She took a last glance at Alfonso before drying her cheeks hiding the evidence of her crying and slipping out the door with Doctor Foster.

"Hello...so, are you okay?" Dawson asked when Helena walked out of the door.

"Yes I am okay. You wanted to see me?"

"There is a place I know in St Peter's that sells good grilled steak... and I want to show you the place... so that you can try and relax and remove your mind from your... husband's illness. So would you mind if we go there...? Now?"

Helena smiled at the young youthful doctor in front of her then nodded. "I hope the place is not too far." Dawson too broke into a smile and the two retraced their steps following the route they had taken earlier on. They got out of the hospital leaving the stuffed smell of medicine behind them and breathing in fresh air.

"You are still in your scrubs." Helena noted looking at him from the corner of her eye.

"This surgical gown is what makes me look handsome and educated so I am not taking it out." He twirled dramatically and Helena laughed.

"I know how it feels Donald." He snapped his head to her direction totally amazed by the fact that she had used his name, she went on not realizing what she had said and how, "My hair is what makes me pretty. It is not coming off too." She flipped her curls in a dramatic way which made Dawson laugh too.

"What do you like? Beef, goat or lamb? They all taste good when grilled." Dawson asked casually as he strolled on the empty road.

"Goat ribs sound good, what do you think?"

"Nothing has ever sounded better. Uhm...actually, I wanted to talk to you about something. I am not sure if you are the best person but everyone at the hospital will hate me if they know this so...I will tell you." Helena suddenly got nervous and curious at the same time not sure how to react to Dawson's insecurity.

"You can tell me anything, you know that do you not?" Dawson did not know that for staters. And secondly he could not just tell her anything, there were limitations so... yeah, she lied.

"Please do not let anyone know this." Helena nodded now looking at him in the eyes looking for a clue...just anything that would tip her on what he wanted to say. There was silence until he shook his head no.

"Don't worry about it Helena, it is stupid and it can ruin what we have going on between us, I mean we met yesterday but we are now friends, are we not?"

"Donald...do you know what will make us closer? You telling me what is bothering you. Nothing will ruin what we have, I promise and that is to say a lot because I rarely promise. So...come on tell me," Dawson flashed his youthful nervous smile that had Helena urging him with her head to go on.

"Doctor Alex happens to be good looking to me."

"Okay...he is good looking to me too."

"He is homosexual and unfortunately he happens to like me." Dawson drawled.

"I will not hate you because your friend is homosexual...if that is what you are afraid of..."

"That is not normal though. Male people are supposed to like female people, right? It is the way things should be, it's just rules of nature. Anyway...what really scares me is that I am beginning to care for him too. He told people at the hospital about his sexuality and now they hate him, he thinks I hate him too. So if I allow myself to indulge in that kind of abnormal relationship I may gain something good between me and Alec but... people may judge me and start telling me about what happened in Sodom and Gomorrah."

"Wait...people of Sodom and Gomorrah had many sins, Donald. They lied, they killed and they were just wicked and were sinners, not homosexual. They were punished for it because they wanted to sleep with a visitor in the city. Yes some were homosexual but they were punished for their sins." Helena explained to the junior in front of her.

"And it depends on what you mean by normal: stereotypical normal– husband, wife and children or the real normal- being comfortable despite who you are with. Well I will tell you what I think normal is- normal is acting towards your feelings, it is appreciating other people and it is being comfortable where ever you are or with whoever."

"But what if normal is a sin? I will get fired at work..." Dawson asked kicking a pebble that was in front of him childishly. He just did not understand what Helena was saying to him.

"If homosexuality is a sin then you can not be fired until all those who ever lied, stole, and even the ones who fire you are fired. For those who fire you are being judgemental and that is wrong– judge not for you shall be judged. There are many sinners in the world, why would homosexuality have to be treated differently. But since it is not a sin, you are going to be okay."

"But God–"

"But God commendeth his love towards us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans five, eleven."

"Thank you Helena." Dawson said sincerely smiling at Helena.

"You are most welcome. And the other issue, Donald, do not experiment on him. Do not get involved in an affair with him until you are sure you love him back." Dawson nodded and motioned into a restaurant for them to enter.

"You should be a life coach. So...philosophical and all that..." Helena chuckled and considered that a compliment.

*""""*""""*""""*""""*""""*""""*""""*""""*

That is for you guys...

Sorry to the homophobic... Usually I write something suitable for everyone but there you go. I know I should have written a warning

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

149K 5K 17
he was standing beside his husband, in the altar. Trying best to contain his tears as guest were congratulating him and his now husband, about their...
263 44 42
Sadah is hiding many secrets,thoughts and mysteris in her head.And fortunately she want's nothing to do with anyone except study and keeping her moth...
2.6K 320 21
Alexander's wish to live a simple life away from the burden of the Christos name hits a brick wall when he finds himself between love and an arranged...
11.8K 452 40
With this ring, I thee wed. it's the words spoken on their wedding day, but it's all an act, an arrangement. Two people who don't know each other ar...