Sparks fly

By pseudohyped

Philip, coming from a summer break is faced with the reality of going back to school. Waking up late on the f... More

Chapter 1: Beating the bell

Chapter 2: Mirror

97 14 3
By pseudohyped

Chapter 2: Mirror

I’m Philip Allen.

 Most of my friends call me ‘Phil’, my teachers call me ‘Mr. Allen’ and mom calls me ‘my sweetie’. I was born in Graysville’s maternity clinic and grew up at Lot 25 Block 7 Coal Street, where a white house stands. This town is a quiet one and there’s nothing really interesting to do and see. Almost everyone here knows each other but no one’s hardly close. There isn’t a dry day here in Graysville, it rains every night and in the morning you’ll be surrounded by the condensed mist in the air. The sun rises late on this valley, that’s why establishments opens and starts here by 8am, the same time most locals open their eyes in the morning. There isn’t a single fast food chain in this town and the nearest McDonalds is a 45 minute drive from here. But I guess living here in this rusty town isn’t that bad though; I managed to survive for 16 years.

Greysville is also my mom’s hometown and she told me that the only time she fled this valley was when she bagged a scholarship for journalism in a university in Hawaii. She also told me that she targeted Hawaii because she wanted to feel what it’s like to lay under the heat of the sun, to be blinded by the sunlight and to hear the chant of the ocean- something you’ll never experience here, something she always dreamt of.

My dream? I don’t think I have one actually. I don’t have a single idea of what I want to be in the future, what I want to reach and see in life. All I wanted to do was to live each day one step at a time; I just wanted to live for the moment and not worry what lies ahead. Somehow, I’m satisfied by my everyday routine and it shakes me when something goes wrong- something new or a change.

I woke up this morning thinking it’s just another ‘first day of school’. But as I stand here in this empty corridor, I face something I’ve never encountered, something that might bring the change I’ve been secretly yearning for all this time and it alarms me.

 My heart was pounding like a jungle drum; Beating fast like a hummingbird flapping its wings. And I didn’t want it to end. I wanted it to last.  It felt like something I thought ecstasy would do- and he’s the drug. My mind was in utter silence yet the inside of my body was in a trance. I couldn’t make my mind form words and I couldn’t mutter a sound.  Next thing I knew, we were already face to face. 

“Hey, are you okay?” he asked.

He’s face was too close that it gave me a fright.  It woke me up. I didn’t know being this close to a ‘dream’ can petrify you.

“em.. em..uhmm. what..am glud”

I was mumbling. My mind started to run but my thoughts were so tangled that it made words difficult for me. Then I thought I felt my knees quiver.  

“Are you okay? Uhm, You don’t look well” This time he’s tone changed. We were looking at each other eye to eye. His green eyes were so fixed that it felt like I’m getting magnetized.

 I can feel his breathing; he was that close to me.

“Do you need-“

“I’m g-..good..I’m okay.” I snapped, but still mumbling

Those words came out unexpectedly and I couldn’t be more thankful that it wasn’t something embarrassing.

“Are you sure?” he asked  

Our eye contact suddenly broke. He was looking down at something.

“You’re soaked!” looking at my wet cardigan and shirt.

 Shit

 My heart sank. I was so embarrassed that I wanted to run away. I looked away and turned my back. I was so ready to disappear when suddenly I felt a grip on my arm. I looked back and I saw him holding me.

“Wait! Are you the one walking to school a while ago??” he asked firmly as his grasp became tighter.

His palm pressing against my pail skin gave me tingles throughout my body. His tone scared the hell out of my system and his voice- deep and gravely

“..Yes” I replied hesitantly

“It was you!” he said. This time his voice was getting louder.

“I told the driver to stop but he won’t hit the brakes” he explained. “Look, I’m sorry. I’m really sorry. This shouldn’t have happened. We should have been more careful” he continued.

“But.. it’s okay” I lied “There’s nothing we could do about it now” trying to avoid his eyes.

I couldn’t look at him in the eyes. The butterflies in my stomach started to grow again. Something about him makes me panic like a little child, like I might lose myself any moment.

“I need to go” I muttered quickly.

 I was going to walk pass him when his arm suddenly flew to my chest stopping me.

I looked at him with great shock. I didn’t expect that to happen. He was looking at me like I stole his candy or something

“I have a shirt” he said.

“Huh?” I sputtered with a perplexed face

“You can wear it.” He suggested.

“But-“

“But you’re drenching wet and it’s my fault!” he countered strongly.

“Thank you but-“

He was already opening his backpack looking for something before I could finish talking. He pulled out this white V neck shirt and he handed it to me.

“It’s fresh from the laundry and dry pressed” He assured me with a small smile.

I wanted to take it. But a side of me is telling me to rush away and go to class.

“Thanks” awkwardly smiling “But I have a class and I’m already late”

“Actually were both late”

“Year 11?” he asked “Yup, Year 11” I confirmed with a nod.

“Room 205?” he continued “We’re classmates??” I replied

“Let’s go!” he swayed his head towards the east corridor and walked.

“Hey, Room 205 is this way!” I said while trying to catch up with him.

“I know! But first you have to change your shirt” he said jokingly

I couldn’t believe what he’s doing. It’s the first day of school, were late, and he’s got the nerve to wander around.  He got me mystified.

“You do know that were going to get detention because were already late?” I asked him. “Yes!” he gushed. “And you do know that were going to get into more serious shit if we got caught loitering during class hours?” I asked again

He quickly turned around and faced me with a reply. He gave a weak smirk and assured me “I got your back” 

I sighed. I haven’t heard someone said that to me ever. I’m not even sure what he meant but it felt comforting. How could I trust someone I don’t know? Someone who gives me the shivers? But when he said that, for a quick moment all the fears I had this morning swiftly vanished. I couldn’t resist him and we walked our way to a comfort room to change.

We were half way to the comfort room when we heard footsteps nearby.

“Quick!” he exclaimed tapping me on my shoulder and we ran as fast as we can to the comfort room.

We entered the CR panting.

White tiles, white toilet bowl, white sink; looks like they got sick of the old navy tiles we used to have. We were both catching our breath when he suddenly burst into laughter.

“That was great, yeah??” he snorted

“You’re unbelievable” shaking my head out of disbelief.

Almost everything changed in the comfort room except the mirror. They retained the old one with the small cracks on the corner.  This mirror was wide enough to see the inside of the whole room including the two us. I was looking back at my reflection. And it looks like I grew a bit taller since I last saw myself with this mirror. My black hair, wavy and messy as expected.

I looked pitiful. My shirt looked obviously wet and I thought I can get away from it without anyone noticing. Maybe that’s why he was eagerly trying to help me, to save me from further humiliation.

We were both looking at our own reflection in the mirror. The silence was getting awkward so I decided to break the ice.

“By the way, what’s your name?” I asked discretely

“Brent” he replied still looking at himself

“Brent? Brent what?”

“Brent Green” he answered

I saw his eyes removed its gaze from his own reflection and looked into mine.  Still breathing heavily from the exhausting run, my heart started to pound louder again.

“Here..” he handed me his shirt

“Thanks” I couldn’t refuse him. Not now that we’re already here.

I was about to wear his shirt when suddenly he started to unbutton his shirt.

“Wait, wait, what are you doing?” this time my voice went shaky.

I watched him took his shirt off as my heart race non-stop. I felt my head turn warmer like all of the blood in my body went up.  Underneath his uniform was the same V-neck shirt he wanted me to wear.

“Why did you take off your shirt??” I asked him revolted by what he did

“I’m not letting you get the sanction by yourself” he replied as he tuck away his uniform inside his backpack.

“Huh? You really don’t have to do that! I can manage myself. It’s just a minor offense not to wear proper uniform in class.” I assured him.

“I don’t think so” he replied while making a faint laugh.

My conscience started to kick in. I couldn’t stand the thought that someone will get in trouble because of their kindness to my mishaps.

“Wear your uniform! I’ll wear mine again” I commanded him while taking off the shirt he let me borrow.

”Don’t!” he stepped closer and grasped my arms, stopping me from taking the shirt off.

“Don’t“he repeated as he forced my raised arms down.

He looked at me in the eye

 “Please?” he said softly.

I froze. We were staring at each other’s eyes while his warm hands grasp my arms tightly. I couldn’t explain this feeling, something I have never felt before and it scares me. He leaned his face closer to mine. It felt like he’s moving in slow motion and as he get closer I get more nervous. All I can feel was my heart pounding out of my chest. My heart was beating wildly; faster and louder. I felt like I’m going explode when suddenly-

“Race you to the classroom” he whispered with a smirk

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...