Above the Law

By RainyDaysDarkNights

--First place winner of the 2017 Mist Awards-- Every 107 seconds another victim is sexually assaulted. Sixty... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four

Epilogue

1.8K 89 16
By RainyDaysDarkNights

Seven Years Later

Parker was half asleep, a content smile pulling his lips slightly up.

Until he heard her scream.

His eyes opened wide, his heart racing. Bear barked loudly, pawing at their door. Parker jumped out of bed, frantic. "Eden? Eden, what's wrong?"

She opened the bathroom door, the light blinding him. Her face was blank, and then it was her smile blinding him. She squealed again, louder, happier. "Parker." She bit down on her lip, still beaming, Bear still barking, Parker still holding his breath.

Parker glanced down at her hand, at the two white tests held tightly in her fist. He exhaled slowly, a grin forming on his own lips. "Eden?" But there wasn't panic in his voice, not even close, there was delirious longing and hope.

"Parker," she said it again, laughing, this time like an answer to his question.

Before she could even let out another laugh, Parker wrapped his bare arms firmly around her waist, lifting her into the air and spinning her around and around until her laugh turned to giggles and Parker was breathless with his own laughter.

And Bear was still barking.

And Parker was still holding Eden to his naked chest.

And they both couldn't keep the laughter from bubbling into their throats.

Eden kissed him, full on the lips. He kissed her back.

"You can put me down now," Eden whispered into his mouth.

"Never," he said breathlessly.

She laughed and he carried her back to the bedroom, opened the door so Bear could see that they were in fact alive and more than okay, and then gently sat on the bed, Eden still clinging to him, straddling him.

He kissed her again, hand resting on her ass. She smiled and wove her hands in his hair, pulling him closer. Bear barked, muzzle nudging Eden's thigh. Eden pulled back only slightly, one hand intertwining with Parker's and the other petting Bear's head. They held each other's gaze.

"Remember when you purposed?"

"I remember," Parker said fondly. "I thought maybe it was a stupid idea, and I was paranoid as hell that it would fall off his collar."

Eden and Parker both looked at Bear then, and Eden leaned over, scratching behind his ears. It was the fall after she graduated college that Parker proposed. They we walking Bear around their block, it was cold outside, the leaves crisp and colorful. She could see Parker's breath whenever she glanced over at him. He got down on his knee as soon as they stopped in front of the park and the frozen pond. Parker always let Bear run around, she didn't think anything of him crouching down and unleashing Bear's leash.

But then he looked up at her, a smile so wide, so happy and sure. "Eden Elizabeth Summers." And the way he said it, the seriousness, the love, made Eden hold her breath. "Eden, when we first met we both had so much pain, so much rage, and I wanted you then because I knew we needed each other in that way. It was twisted and cruel, and I regretted it even as I did it. I don't deserve you. I didn't then, and I don't now, but Eden, I am in love with you. All of you. And there... there is not a single day I don't want to be beside you. Eden." He paused, eyes searching her face. "Eden, will you marry me?"

"Yes. Parker yes!" she had said immediately. Breathlessly.

Eden smiled at the memory, and poked Parker gently in the chest. "You were so nervous."

"Well yeah. You kept rejecting my dinner offers when we first met, I was concerned how many times I'd have to ask you until you finally said yes."

Eden sighed happily. Everything was going to change. That would have terrified her—the mere thought of a child had terrified her seven years ago, but things were different. "You're going to be a dad," Eden said softly.

"You're going to be a mom," Parker said just as softly. His eyes crinkled; she kissed him there.

Eden pushed his bare chest back against the bed. He smiled wickedly. She lifted her shirt and threw it across the room. Parker's hands were on her breasts in an instant, massaging gently. "They feel heavy." He ran the pad of his thumb over her nipple and she moaned.

"They're tender."

"How far along do you think you are?" Parker smiled and swiftly flipped her onto her back, then brought a nipple into his mouth.

Eden pulled at his hair, trying to get his head to move further south. He laughed against her skin, continuing his kisses lower. "Two months. Maybe three. I missed my period twice but I didn't want to get my hopes up since we've been trying for so long..."

He stopped kissing. She groaned. "Eden, why didn't you tell me? We should have gone to the doctor already to have an ultrasound."

"Do you think we could get an appointment today?"

"Right now?" he asked, raising a brow and bringing his fingers between her thighs.

"Parker," she moaned.

He knew that moan, he knew it so well. "Eden?" he asked innocently, his fingers coaxing another moan.

"You're such an ass."

"And you have a wonderful ass," Parker laughed, sliding her panties down her legs and settling himself between her thighs and just as he nudged himself inside her, the doorbell rang. They both groaned simultaneously.

"How quick is our average quickie?" Eden asked, wrapping her legs around his hips so he couldn't go anywhere.

"Quick."

"You look happy," Reagan said when Parker opened the door.

Parker coughed, trying to hide his laugh. "Good morning."

"Apparently," John said in a knowing voice.

Parker's eyes only brightened. "Eden's—"

"Right here," Eden said softly, coming up behind Parker and standing on her tip toes to place a kiss on his cheek. "Good morning."

"You two slept in late."

"We forgot about breakfast," Parker said, sliding his hand around his wife's waist. Eden melted into his side, her grin never fading. "We could just meet Penelope and Lily at the diner instead of cooking."

"I texted Lily," Eden said, fingers lacing with Parkers, "they said they'd pick up a box of donuts on their way over."

Reagan smiled, then glanced to John. John returned the look.

By the time Lily and Penelope had arrived with the donuts, half the box was already gone. They sat side by side on the floor, giggling and telling stories about college and their professors, Bear laying lazily at their feet. John and Reagan sat curled together on the love seat, listening and laughing. Eden sat on Parker's lap, smiling brightly and stealing quick glances and kisses whenever she could.

"What about you two," Lily said. "It feels like I haven't talked to you in forever."

Eden laughed. "Lil, you say that every time I see you."

"But it's true! How's work now that you're working with the po-po? Have you adjusted well?"

Parker rose his eyebrows. "The po-po? Really?"

"I like working with the officers, and I love seeing Parker whenever I can..." Eden said, her gaze finding Parker's.

"But what?" Reagan said.

Eden looked Parker, he nodded in reassuring way. "But I just officially started as a grief counselor... and I don't think now is the best time to tell them I'll need to take material leave."

The silence hung there for a moment. Parker pressed a kiss to her neck while the other processed these words. And then Lily squealed. And Reagan said, "I'm finally going to be a grandma?" John laughed, shaking his head. Penelope stood and gave Eden her donut with a solemn expression, "You're eating for two now."

Parker pulled Eden closer against his chest. She breathed him in. Coffee and aftershave, and yes, leather.

"I'm not that far along and I still need to make an appointment, but... but I'm really excited."

Eden couldn't keep the smile from her face, because finally—finally—she had Parker's loving embrace without all the violence and secrets and masks, without all the rage and hurt. She was safe and loved and part of a family.

And for once, the dark didn't triumph the light.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.4K 728 23
For years, Eliza has tried to forget the man who shattered her. The wildness of his seduction and the ferocity of his passion had drawn her in - and...
9.8K 1K 43
*Featured story* "An absolute void was embracing me, a sensation that was all too familiar to me. As far as I could remember, that was what my dreams...
127 31 40
"Just don't misunderstand me. It's not like I wanted to.....I had to.....for her" "You make me feel guilty. I should be handing you over to the polic...
8.7K 364 43
How do you learn to love death when you're so afraid of it? What if the one person you love the most is taken away from you? What would it take to mo...