Summoner: The Novice (Book 1)...

By TaranMatharu

SAMPLE OF PUBLISHED BOOK THAT WAS FIRST WRITTEN ON WATTPAD. Fletcher was nothing more than a humble blacksmit... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Concept Art - Fletcher and Ignatius
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Demonology
Agent Signing Announcement
Summoner Publication Announcement
Summoner Prequel Announcement and Cover Reveal!
Summoner: Origins Is Out!
Summoner: The Novice Pre-order Giveaway!
Summoner Quote Competition
Summoner: The Novice is Out Today!
How you can help make The Novice a success story
The Inquisition, Book 2 - Cover Reveal!
New Concept Art - Fletcher and Ignatius
Concept Art - Orcs and Gremlins
Concept Art - Arcturus and Sacharissa
New Concept Art - Lovett and Lysander
New Concept Art - Othello and Solomon
End Of Sample
Fan Fiction List
End Of Sample
End Of Sample
End Of Sample
End Of Sample
End Of Sample
End Of Sample
End Of Sample
End Of Sample
End Of Sample
End Of Sample
End Of Sample
End Of Sample
End Of Sample
End Of Sample
End Of Sample
End Of Sample
End Of Sample
End Of Sample
End Of Sample
End Of Sample
End Of Sample
Read an Exclusive Preview of The Inquisition!
The Inquisition Giveaway!
The Inquisition is out TODAY!
New York Times Bestseller!
The Battlemage - Cover Reveal and FOURTH Summoner Book!
Coming to the USA!
Summoner is coming on the FierceReads BookTour!
The Battlemage Giveaway!
Get the ENTIRE trilogy for 99p! UK only.

Chapter 26

105K 3.1K 162
By TaranMatharu

A carriage to Corcillum would have cost an extortionate six shillings per person, but Othello knew of a town a bit further down the main road that might be cheaper. Half an hour's walk and another ten minutes of negotiation later and the group had found transport on the back of a horse-drawn cart for one shilling each. They purchased a basket of apples for another shilling and munched into them, enjoying the sweet tartness. Even the shower that beat down on them could not dampen their spirits as they laughed and tried to catch the raindrops in their mouths. Atlas's Lutra enjoyed the rain the most, yapping and rolling on the wet boards of the cart.

They were dropped on the main road, which was thronging with vendors and customers despite the downpour. As they huddled in a street corner, people stared at their demons and uniforms, some smiling and waving, others hurrying past with fear in their eyes.

'I want to go to the perfumery,' Genevieve said, as two girls walked by under pink parasols. They wafted an exotic fragrance that reminded Fletcher of the mountains. His stomach twisted as he realised how little he had thought of Berdon over the past few days. He needed to get in contact to let him know everything was OK.

'I need to run some errands, send some messages, that sort of thing. Othello, do you know someone who might be able to make a scabbard for my sword?' Fletcher asked.

'Sure . . . as long as you don't mind stopping by my family home on the way,' the dwarf replied, tugging on his beard in excitement.

'Why not? I haven't been to the Dwarven Quarter yet. Are there tailors there too?' Fletcher asked.

'The best in Hominum,' Othello said firmly.

'Well, someone has to come with me to the perfumery. I can't go alone,' Genevieve wheedled as more young ladies walked past. Seraph's eyes lit up at the sight of them, and he volunteered without hesitation.

'I'll go. Perhaps there is some cologne that will help me melt Isadora's cold heart,' he said with a wink.

'Rory? Are you with us or them?' Fletcher asked.

'I think I'll go with Genevieve. It would be interesting to see what they do with all the flowers. My mother collects mountain flowers and sells them to perfume merchants,' Rory said, with a sidelong look at the pretty girls walking by. Fletcher was sure Rory's motive was based on more than the art of scent making, but he didn't blame him. It was only two days ago that he had been awestruck by the beauty of Corcillum's girls and their painted faces. Atlas had already begun to wander down the street, but Fletcher assumed he would not want to come with them to the Dwarven Quarter, given his animosity towards Othello.

'Meet back here in about two hours. There's plenty of carts on their way to the front lines along that road, so just leave if the other group is late,' Othello called.

They parted ways and increased their pace as the downpour intensified, ducking under the awnings in front of shops and keeping close to the walls. Ignatius purred in the dry warmth beneath Fletcher's hood while Solomon followed several feet behind, struggling to keep up on his stumpy legs. The dwarf had the foresight to bring a hooded jacket of his own, but poor Solomon looked miserable in the wet.

'So what do you need other than a tailor and the blacksmith? Did I hear you need to send a letter?' Othello asked, looking over his shoulder to make sure Solomon was still in sight. As Othello threaded his way through the narrow alleyways, Fletcher realised that the dwarf would be the perfect guide to help him make the best of their trip to Corcillum.

'Yes, I need to send a letter to the elven front,' Fletcher said. It would be best not to send anything directly to Berdon in case Caspar or Didric intercepted it. Maybe if he sent it to Rotherham, then the soldier could pass on the message in secret.

'Well, if that's the case you'd be best sending it from Vocans. The military couriers stop by there all the time. As for the blacksmith, trust me when I say he is the best. He designed this for me.'

Othello paused and opened the leather pouch he carried on his shoulder and pulled a hatchet from inside. The handle was made of black, fire-hardened wood and painstakingly carved to conform to the shape of Othello's hand. The axe head was thin but devastatingly sharp, with a keen blade coming from the back that made for a lethal backswing.

'This is a dwarven tomahawk. Every dwarf is given one on their fifteenth birthday, to protect them in their adulthood. It was decreed by the first of our holy elders that all adult male dwarves must carry one at all times, ever since our persecution began two thousand years ago. Even our female dwarves own a torq, a spiked bangle that is carried at all times on the wrist. It is considered part of our tradition, heritage and religion. Now you know the high esteem I hold for the blacksmith's skill.'

Fletcher's eyes widened as he saw the beautiful weapon.

'Can I hold it?' Fletcher asked, eager to try the axe for himself. Perhaps he would have the same carved handle added to his khopesh.

There was a high pitched whistle and the sound of running feet. Two Pinkertons were sprinting towards them, studded truncheons drawn and pistols levelled at Othello's face.

'Drop it! Now!'

The first Pinkerton took Othello by the throat, lifted him off his feet and pushed him up against a brick wall. He was a huge brute of a man, with a bristling black beard that covered an ugly, pockmarked face. Othello's tomahawk clattered to the ground as he struggled to breathe against the sausage-like fingers constricting his windpipe.

'What have we told you dwarves about carrying weapons in public? Why can't you get it through your thick, dwarven skulls? Only humans have that privilege!' the second Pinkerton said in a reedy voice. He was a tall, skinny man with a pencil moustache and greasy blond hair.

'Let him go!' Fletcher shouted, finding his voice. He stepped forward as Ignatius dropped to the ground, hissing viciously. The demon blew a warning plume of flame into the air.

'Release him, Turner,' the thin Pinkerton said, registering the danger and rapping his truncheon against the wall.

'All right, Sergeant Murphy, we'll have more fun with him in the cells anyway,' the large man grunted, releasing Othello to leave him wheezing on the street cobbles. He gave the dwarf a sharp kick in the side, making Othello cry out in pain. As he did so, an unearthly roar blasted from behind Fletcher.

'No!' Othello gasped, holding his hand up as Solomon pelted round the corner, stopping the Golem just a few feet short of Turner. 'No, Solomon, it's OK!'

The dwarf stood with difficulty, leaning against the wall.

'Are you all right?' Fletcher asked as the Golem rushed to his master, rumbling with worry.

'I'm fine. They've done worse before,' the dwarf croaked, patting the Golem on the head.

Fletcher spun and scowled at the Pinkertons, his hand straying towards his khopesh.

Murphy stepped in and prodded him in the chest.

'As for you, you can wipe that look from your face,' Sergeant Murphy growled, lifting Fletcher's chin with his truncheon. 'Why are you defending a dwarf anyway? You want to be more careful who you make friends with.'

'I think you should be more worried about trying to arrest an officer of the King's army for carrying a weapon! Or did you expect him to fight the orcs with his bare hands?' Fletcher said with confidence he did not feel. Turner was swinging his truncheon back and forth.

'Who are you to tell me what I can and can't do?' Murphy, pointed his pistol at Fletcher's face. There was nothing that Ignatius was going to be able to do against a bullet. Fletcher weighed the odds of being able to perform a shield spell on his first try, but decided against it. Better to take a beating than risk death. He cursed under his breath; this was the second time he had found himself cornered in the streets of Corcillum with a pistol in his face.

'What did you just say? I think he just swore at you, Sergeant Murphy,' Turner growled, raising his own pistol.

'Nothing! I was just cursing my luck,' Fletcher stammered. The two barrels were like a pair of snakes' eyes, ready to strike.

'You have no idea who you're messing with,' Othello growled, straightening with a wince. 'You'd better put those pistols down and get the hell out of here.'

'Enough, Othello!' Fletcher hissed. The dwarf must have gone mad! It was easy for him to be cocky, he wasn't the one staring down two gun barrels!

'Just wait till we tell his father about you. Lord Forsyth will be very displeased to find out that some low-level Pinkertons held his son Tarquin at gunpoint,' Othello continued, unbuttoning his jacket to show the uniform underneath. Fletcher tried not to look too surprised, but inside he was horrified at the gamble the dwarf was taking. Even so, it was too late now. Then Fletcher detected a hint of hesitation in Murphy's face.

'Of course, you are aware of the dwarven battalions forming on the elven front. If the Forsyths have to incorporate one of them into our forces, we will want the best dwarf officers available,' Fletcher said in a confident voice, pushing Turner's pistol away from his face. 'Now I find you assaulting our newest officer in the street, for carrying a weapon that Zacharias Forsyth himself gave him? What are your names? Murphy? Turner?'

Murphy's pistol wavered, then lowered to the ground.

'You don't speak like a noble,' Murphy challenged, his eyes focussing on the ragged hem of Fletcher's uniform trousers. 'Nor do you dress like one.'

'Your uniform would look like this too if you were fighting on the front lines. As for my voice, if you grew up amongst the common soldiers, your language would be as coarse as mine. We can't all be fancy boys like you.' Fletcher was getting in the swing of it now, but Othello prodded him in the small of his back. He reined it in, worried he had gone too far.

'Now, if you will excuse me, I will be on my way. Ignatius, come!' Fletcher said, scooping Ignatius into his arms and striding off down the street. He didn't look back, but heard the click of a pistol's flint being pulled.

'Keep walking,' Othello whispered from behind him. 'They're testing us.'

Fletcher continued onwards, every second imagining a bullet was going to come bursting through his chest. The moment they rounded the corner they ran down the street, Solomon just managing to keep up with his stubby legs.

'You're a genius,' Fletcher gasped, when they were a safe distance away.

'Don't thank me just yet. Next time they see you, they will probably beat you to a pulp. They won't be able to tell who I am, all dwarves look the same to them. I've been arrested twice before by that pair and they didn't even recognise me,' Othello wheezed, clutching his injured side. 'I think they might have cracked a rib though.'

'The sadistic brutes! We need to get you to a doctor. Don't worry about me. My hood was up, and it was dark. As long as they don't see Ignatius and Solomon next time our paths cross, we should be OK. We'll need to learn how to infuse our demons straight away. Shield spells too, for that matter,' Fletcher said.

'Too right. Come on, let's go. The Dwarven Quarter is not far from here. My mother should be able to bind my chest.' Solomon gave a throaty groan as they set off once again. Clearly, he was not used to this much exercise.

'I'm going to need to get you into shape,' Othello chided, pausing to rub the Golem's craggy head.

They walked on, the streets getting narrower and filthier. Clearly the cleaners no longer bothered to come this way, not with the Dwarven Quarter so close. The dwarves must have been allocated the worst part of the city to live in.

'Why were you arrested before?' Fletcher asked, stepping over a tramp who was sleeping in the middle of the street.

'My father refused to pay the protection money the Pinkertons asked of him. Every dwarf business gets turned over by their officers, but those two are the worst. They threw me in the cells both times, until my father paid up.'

'That's insane! How can they get away with that?' Fletcher asked. Othello walked on in silence and Fletcher kicked himself. What a stupid question.

'What does your father do? Is he a blacksmith? My father was a blacksmith,' Fletcher said, trying to fill the awkward silence he had created.

'My father is one of the artificers who developed the musket,' Othello said with pride. 'Now that we hold the secret to their creation, the Pinkertons tend to not bother the dwarven blacksmiths. I can't say that for all dwarf businesses though. The creation of the musket was the first step in the long journey to equality. Our joining the army is the second. I will finish what my father started.'

'You must be the first dwarf officer in Hominum, even if you are just a cadet at the moment. That is something to be proud of,' Fletcher said.

He meant every word; the more he found out about the dwarves, the more he respected them. He endeavoured to emulate their resolve to better their situation.

Othello stopped and pointed ahead of him.

'Welcome to the Dwarven Quarter.'

Did you know that the Wattpad version of Summoner: The Novice is just a large sample of the first draft? The published version is longer and 100% completed, with more demons, more lessons and more action! 

The book is out now in all mainstream stores as well as online, so keep an eye out next time you're book shopping!

Feel free to keep reading and decide if you want to buy the published version later on. If you liked this chapter, please don't forget to vote! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.2K 997 35
WATTYS WINNER 2023 | Sixteen-year-old Felix Carver carries the ghosts of magicians in his blood. He can communicate with them and use the magical abi...
3.3K 656 57
THIRD BOOK OF THE CHRONICLES OF FANTASILIA SERIES 𝘈 𝘣𝘳𝘰𝘬𝘦𝘯 𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘴. 𝘈 𝘥𝘺𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘥𝘺𝘯𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘺. 𝘈 𝘥𝘪𝘴𝘨𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘦𝘥 𝘩𝘦𝘪𝘳. 𝘈...
1.2M 48.5K 46
"As I laid on the filthy mat, my white hair fanning out like a halo around my head, I felt that ice inside of me fester. It grew and spread until it...
267K 13.2K 28
! NO LONGER WRITING THIS VERSION OF THE STORY - PLEASE GO TO MY PROFILE AND SEE MY BOOK 'The Monster's Stratagem' FOR THE 2.0 VERSION ! * * * Highe...