Fearless (A Mulan Retelling)

By squigmo

For the entirety of her life, Iris Gwenneth has known the words 'loss' and 'exclusion' all too well. With a d... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Author's Note
Fearless Announcement!
Sequel Sample! (Guardian)

Chapter Thirty Five

40.5K 1.7K 363
By squigmo

Iris was the first to wake up the following morning. Being disoriented for the first few moments, she forgot where she was. Her eyes widened for a moment at actually being in a comfortable bed before she remembered that they had arrived in Alabast. Not wanting to leave the bed, she let out a small groan before she got up to clean up. Needless to say, she didn't take long. Not wanting either of the men to wake as she was getting ready, she was in and out of the restroom in a matter of minutes.

As soon as she exited, her head turned to the bed on the farthest right to see a sleeping Kayde. Even in his slumber, he looked as mysterious as always. His black mass of hair masked his closed eyes and he wore a small, secretive smile on his face as if he were in on some inside joke that Iris couldn't hear. With a small snort, she considered going over and waking him up. In fact, she had even taken two steps in that direction. She only stopped because she remembered that General Zayn was also in the room with them.

Quietly, she turned her head over to him. She couldn't see most of him, as he was covered in blankets. Yet, she did see his face, immediately noticing that he looked much different than usual. His black hair had fallen completely free from the style it had been in. Now it scattered across his face and shoulders in a disarray.

In addition, his face was different. He no longer wore the stoic expression she was used to seeing, but one of complete peace. The dent in his eyebrow was nonexistent, and his lips were parted slightly.

Iris stopped for more moments than she should have to observe him. Her eyes lingered on the strong planes of his face and the curvature of his mouth. As she stared, she made sure to account for every detail. During her speculation, she found that she admired his skin the most. Not because it was a nice bronze color or because of the smooth way it stretched across his features. No. She admired it because of the slash like scar on his left cheekbone and the barely visible smattering of freckles across his nose.

Why? Because it made him imperfect. It made him human.

She, within the depths of her mind, allowed herself to admit that General Zayn was a beautiful man, scar and all. In fact, she felt as if the scar enhanced his face. This was strange to her... as back home, when she was Iris, scars would not have appealed to her in the slightest. They wouldn't bother her, of course, because everyone had them. Yet, she wouldn't have appreciated them as she did now.

As she continued to gaze at him, she heard someone clear their throat. Her head snapped to Kayde, who now sat up, smirking at her.

"Enjoying the view?" he said, raising an eyebrow. It was a joke, but Iris saw some unreadable emotion below the surface of his expression.

"Quiet, Kayde," she snapped in a sort of whisper, "You've grown careless. And why did you sleep so late? You're usually up before me."

"Late night," he yawned, still leering at her, "As you probably know."

She was silent at this.

"You ignored the question," he said smoothly. This made her look back over at Zayn, who stirred a little but did not wake.

"Seemed the appropriate course of action," she stated softly, "There's nothing wrong with looking at someone, Kayde. He's interesting looking." Iris could tell the moment that the words left her lips that Kayde would tease her for saying them. A second later, she watched as he stifled a laugh. She shook her head at him and very plainly rolled her eyes.

"Interesting looking? What a way to word what you mean."

"I meant what I said," she said stubbornly.

"Careful," he whispered a warning, a bit more seriously than before. "You know that nothing can come of it. He's your general. Make sure that you know that."

"Don't be ridiculous, Kayde. As far he knows, I'm a..." she lowered her voice even more, "...a man. You'll do well to remember that. You'll also do well to remember that I just recently lost a betrothed. Something like that is the farthest thing from my mind. Perhaps it once was different, but now I am a fighter... not a lover."

"As you say. I believe you. But you still admire his appearance," Kayde teased, "And perhaps a bit of his soul." His eyes glazed over for a second.

Iris grunted.

"Perhaps you're right. Now get your ass out of bed," she said and stalked off back to the bathroom.

As she marched off, the general's eyes shot open. Kayde noticed this immediately. The guardian wanted to laugh, but for the second time this morning, he subdued it. Zayn sat up, and looked to the spot where he had just heard Iris speaking. She was not there. His eyes trailed to the closed restroom door and then to Kayde.

"You look like you've seen a ghost, sir," Kayde retorted.

"Mhm," Zayn grunted, and swung his legs over the side of the bed. He stood up moments later and began cleaning his sword. As he waited on the rest room, he thought about what he had just heard the rogue say and shook his head. He wasn't sure what to think about it, as no one had ever said anything like it before. He looked at his face in the blade of his sword for a second, not sure what he was even looking for. He would've done so for longer if Kayde hadn't snorted from beside him. Zayn's head snapped to the guardian, his eyes challenging.

"My apologies, General Rothstead," Kayde said sincerely, ducking his head in a respectful bow, "It was not my intention to disturb you."

He still looked amused, and Zayn could tell.

However, no other words were spoken between the two because Iris walked out of the washroom. Her eyes immediately fell on the now awake general. In addition, his eyes turned to her. Since she had so blatantly observed him, he figured he might do the same. He gazed at her face. It was still hard to believe that he had mistaken her for a boy. Her lips were fuller than a man's and her eyebrows more slender. Not to mention her high cheekbones and slight jaw. Her eyes sparkled in a way that he'd never seen a man's sparkle and they were rimmed with long, dark eyelashes.

"Morning, lad," the general said, remembering what she'd said just a few minutes ago. She'd truly had a fiancé. One that left her. He wondered why it had happened. She was nothing if not brave. In fact, he had already gathered that she was the bravest, most inspiring woman he'd ever met... even if she was a criminal. On top of all that, she was lovely. Radiant. Even with armor and daggers.

"Morning to you, General," she nodded, not averting her eyes like a normal woman would.

He nodded kindly in response, meeting her eyes. He wondered what exactly her eyes sparkled with: sadness, determination, secrets, strength... perhaps all of them were the answer. After all, he knew for a fact that she had secrets and all sorts of inner strength. She had to have both to pull off what she was doing. He was also damn sure she was chalk full of determination. On a side thought, he remembered the night she had retrieved his arrow from the post. Gods, of all people that could have done it... it had been a girl.

As far as sadness went, she hadn't really shown him that she was sad. No. But one didn't lose a mother without being affected... he knew that. One didn't lose a betrothed without being hurt by the betrayal. And one did not leave their home and everything they knew to do something as absolutely stark raving mad -and seemingly impossible- as she did... unless they were utterly and truly desperate.

Not to mention that he had heard how she talked of her father. Reminiscing on their past conversations, the general wondered how alone Iris truly was.

"General?" she asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes?"

"Is everything alright?"

"Hm? Yeah," Zayn grunted. "Just hoping the Token talks, is all."

"I have to ask, what are the main things you're wanting to know?" she asked him, curious.

"Well," he paused, thinking to himself for a moment, "Who's doing it and why would be pretty damn useful. It'd be good to know what we're up against. Last war we had with the Tokens was twenty years ago, if I'm remembering straight. So why now? I don't see any clear reason behind the sudden upstart. It'd be good to know if there's another way into the fortress, like you suggested, and maybe if we're lucky, what's inside of it. But that might be a dream. We'll see."

"You said that the Tokens fell dormant two decades ago?" Iris furrowed her brow.

"Yes," Zayn answered. "Leader died, and everything fell to pieces. Gods be good, and history will repeat itself. Why do you ask?"

"I just don't know much about the Tokens, is all. After all, before I was drafted into the Eldian army, I was a mere caretaker for my father. How powerful were they back before their leader died?"

"Not as gods damned powerful as they are now, I'll tell you that," he snorted without humor, "But they were still strong. Back then, they were just a large rebel group. Now... now, they're an army. I wonder if any of the new Tokens were once Garhemian soldiers."

"Well," Iris began to pace, "we do know one thing."

"And what is that?"

"Whoever is leading them now is strong and most likely highly intelligent. We have to be extra cautious in everything that we do," she stated.

"Indeed," he concurred.

"Just one wrong move on our part and we could all die," Iris went on. "What a wild ride."

"There's the enthusiasm," he grunted.

"I'm aware that my words are disheartening," she said, rolling her eyes at his sarcasm, "But they're nothing but the truth. And you know it."

"I know that they are. Doesn't mean I like to hear them. Another thing is for sure... I'm going to need you and everyone else to be able to do this batshit as all hell mission. So try not to let your fear rule your heart. Even if things are looking down, remember that you are still an Eldian soldier."

Leaning in closer to his ear, she smirked slightly and looked him dead in the eyes.

"What fear?" she asked, raising one of her eyebrows.

As much as he tried to suppress it, the general still smiled at her comment.

"There you go," he chuckled. "I hope you're as brave as you say."

"Been called fearless," Iris moved away from his ear, "I didn't believe it as much then as I do now. But now that I've had time to think about, I can't think of a thing that I'm scared of anymore. Perhaps I'm mad to be that way."

"You don't fear death?"

"Did you already forget what I told you, Zayn? I'm only dead when I'm forgotten. And I leave one hell of an impression."

The general chuckled. "Arrogance, Ingred?"

"Ah, I didn't say it was a good impression," she pointed a finger good-naturedly as she said it, "That is for you and everyone else to decide. Perhaps you can mull it over as you get yourself ready. After all, I doubt the Token captain fears a man in pajamas."

"Hmm," he looked down at his bedclothes, "Perhaps you're right."

And then he went to get ready.

After he left the room, Kayde shook his head at Iris. With a challenging eyebrow, she crossed her arms at him.

"What was that?" he said, exasperated.

"What was what?"

"You know what. Did my warning fly past your head? Iris, are you mad?" he asked her quietly. She rolled her eyes at him, and walked away. At first, she wasn't going to reply but after a moment, she decided to say something back at him.

"You tease me all the damned time," she pointed out, "I don't look into it so much. Am I not allowed to form some type of friendship while I'm risking my neck, here? Think about it, Kayde. How many friends have I had? I'm learning from you how to be one. It would be unnatural for me not to make friends with the men I spill blood with, be it mine or the enemy's."

"I guess you're right," Kayde admitted after a moment, and Iris was surprised that he agreed with her for once.

"I am."

"Arrogance, Ingred?" he said. It sounded so much different from his mouth. His reference was amusing to hear.

"Course not."

The general was even quicker to get ready than Iris. Though she didn't see how, as his armor looked like it was way more complicated to put on than hers. After all, hers was made of leather and his was made of metal plates.

She took note that he was not wearing his usual topknot today, but had his hair pulled halfway back.

"Already ready?" Iris asked, surprised.

"Yes," he answered, "Obviously..."

"Great. Should we go?" she cast aside his slightly snide remark, "Or is anyone else even awake yet?"

"Only one way to find out," he began walking to the door, "Hopefully they are. Something in my gut tells me that this is going to be one hell of a day. I want to get started as quickly as possible. Still got to figure out exactly what I'm going to say to our prisoner. Good thing we got up somewhat early."

"You haven't thought of what you're going to say yet? You've had days," she said with wide eyes.

"I'm a doer... not a planner."

"Gods, and you're the war general. That's making plans for the entire Eldian army. Should that worry me?"

Zayn snorted. "Was a joke. Obviously," came the drawn out reply. "Guess it wasn't a good one. Ah, but it is early."

Iris immediately ate her words. "I'm sorry, general... I was wrong to question you. I would follow you even if it meant death."

He then did something that she did not expect. He smiled.

"I've reached a decision..."

"What?" she said, confused and caught off guard.

"You do make a good impression."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

393 49 16
Life It sounds beautiful right, magical even but, is it? Is it what you envisioned yours to be? i know i didn't envisioned mine, definitely not like...
5.2K 189 31
"Tristan, I'm scared." And then I froze. Just like the first time I met her, my body went into complete lockdown and my heart beat irrationally fast...
295 102 27
Teenage Iris Day has survived a nightmare childhood in a home ruled by drugs and alcohol, domestic and sexual abuse. She may have found a way to esca...
33.2K 1.7K 42
Eternal: (adj.) Lasting or existing forever; without end or beginning Athanasia never complained about her situation. She never felt like she had th...