He Who Weaves Nightmares | PU...

By IraCrow13

When the three gods of the dream world accidentally caused a mass homicide, their father, Erebus, decided to... More

Announcement
Dedication
Prologue
Chapter 1 - I Loathe Coffee
Chapter 2 - Teen Gaspard
Chapter 3 - A Time for Firsts
Chapter 4 - The Loveseat
Chapter 5 - Green Ice
Chapter 6 - Pop Culture
Chapter 7 - A Pillion
Chapter 8 - Big Plate
Chapter 9 - Winged Demons
Chapter 10 - The Green Eyed Monster
Chapter 11 - Acting Classes
Chapter 12 - Pangolin
Chapter 13 - Colors
Chapter 14 - Led Zep
Chapter 15 - Caramel Apology
Chapter 16 - Unicorns and Horses
Chapter 17 - Savoring Cheesecake
Chapter 18 - Whose Fairy Tale
Chapter 19 - Cognac Swing
Chapter 20 - The Sweetest Nightmare
Chapter 21 - The Shadows Return
Chapter 22 - Post Prom
Chapter 23 - MIA on Grad Day
Chapter 24 - Sealing the Tunnel
Chapter 25 - Fictitious Wings
Chapter 26 - Powder Blue
Chapter 27 - Discretionary Hours
Chapter 29 - Once Upon a Hammock
Chapter 30 - Not an Italian Lake
Chapter 31 - Through the Narrow Strip
Chapter 32 - Psychedelic Cycladic
Chapter 33 - Beholden
Chapter 34 - Aislin
Chapter 35 - Unsealing the Tunnel
Chapter 36 - Between Scylla and Charybdis (Part I)
Chapter 36 - Between Scylla and Charybdis (Part II)
Chapter 37 - Between Brothers
Chapter 38 - When We Sleep
Chapter 39 - When We Wake
Chapter 40 - Working for Hades
Chapter 41 - Rejection Dejection
Chapter 42 - To be Mortal
Chapter 43 - The Family Tree (Part I)
Chapter 43 - The Family Tree (Part II)
Chapter 44 - Not the Usual Trade
Chapter 45 - I See You
Chapter 46 - Ill-Fated Nightmare (Part I)
Chapter 46 - Ill-Fated Nightmare (Part II)
Chapter 47 - A Weaver's Wings

Chapter 28 - Elysium

1.7K 155 87
By IraCrow13

Chapter 28 - Elysium

Weaver

Francis still wouldn't tell me where we were headed tonight, but I chose not to pester him. After yesterday's bitter disappointment, I didn't mind where my little brother dragged me-even though I found my current attire prickly.

Fine. I was willing to admit I was pleased when I saw my reflection earlier, but the staid ensemble wasn't a look I intended to tolerate even occasionally. Urban chic was something I was inclined to consider. Markus would approve. Not that I was concerned.

I digressed.

I needed a diversion before the emptiness I'd felt yesterday consumed me. I was not going to move again. I had to get back on track and show the gods I deserved to have my wings. I had learned to control my emotions and my shadows. I was ready to participate and learn.

If only Mother could send the course outline so I had an idea what it was she wanted me to learn!!

Tartarus! I didn't mean for that sliver of gloom to peek out of the car's hood. I hoped Francis hadn't noticed it.

I glanced at Francis who was giving me directions to our destination. I knew he was successful at what he did although this would be the first time I'd personally observe his progress in the mortal realm. Seeing how classy he looked-he followed the black tie dress code perfectly-I'd assumed we were meeting one of his wealthier clients. I would support him. And learn.

I didn't expect the meeting to be at the nearest bookstore.

"Keep the car running," Francis told me. "I just need to grab something."

He went in the shop and was back in less than two minutes. He gave me a copy of the first book of Team Genesis.

"I already have a copy," I told Francis as we drove from the bookshop.

"I know. You left your dog eared paperback at home. We'll get this new one signed by L. Guinto Lochan."

I frowned at the mention of the author's name then laughed. "Sure, Francis. Will we get to interview Mr. Lochan, too?"

My brother grinned at me and replied, "Why not?"

Francis told me the address of our next stop and I was mildly surprised when we found ourselves in front of Elysian Fields.

The Fields was an exclusive luxury cocktail bar. I had been to a handful of these places over the past decade, but I hadn't found them interesting. I had only set foot in them because Thanatos bid me to accompany him and on more than one occasion, we'd witnessed a poor soul headed toward a peaceful demise.

Coincidentally, this site, based on its name, would probably be a mockup of heaven.

"I'll park the car. You go ahead inside and I'll look for you," Francis told me as he stepped out and headed to my side.

"No valet service? That's odd," I said, but handed him the keys. If he were offering, I didn't mind evading the inconvenience of finding parking space in this city. It was easier when I had my muscle bike.

Francis got in then handed me the book.

Puzzled, I asked, "What am I going to do with this? Is it going to be a lengthy business meeting and this is to be my company?"

"Just take it. You might want it signed," Francis quickly answered before he slammed the door shut and drove away, nearly running over my foot.

What was Francis going on about? Did Lochan frequent this place?

I grumbled and headed toward the entrance of the bar.

From the outside, the structure was a simple white building. There was a line outside, but the VIP door hostess looked at me, smiled and had a burly bouncer unhook the cord to let me in.

I was surprised.

Perhaps she saw me with Francis and he was a regular guest. I fathomed my young brother was a known personality in these parts.

I stepped inside and acknowledged the stylish ambience and the plush furniture. There were pairs of white leather swivel stools next to high bar tables in white gloss and glass. There were booths with cushioned seating and low frosted counters.

I couldn't say the venue represented the state of perfect happiness. In truth, it was rather cold. Like a bleached version of my tunnels.

I walked around and noticed the monitors on the walls. There was an infomercial playing and I moved closer to get an idea about the location. I could tell Thanatos about it and he could add this upscale lounge to his scratch map.

The ad was rather visual with a series of illogical yet inspired images. It was bizarre art combined with photographic precision. It took me a minute to realize this was Francis' work. Brilliant job. The kid was a true artist. He made me proud. He made our parents proud. I was yet to accomplish the same.

It took me another minute to comprehend that the clip was not about Elysian Fields. It was a highly conceptual and expressive tribute to Lochan's works. It was a marriage of whimsical fantasy and violent fiction.

Lochan was here.

I could not stop myself from grinning. No incisors showing. I had to confess I was eager to meet the man behind the brutal art in words. Yes, I would be the adoring fan requesting that he sign my copy of his masterpiece.

L. Guinto Lochan. I had never seen him before, but based on his name, he's of Italian and Scottish descent. I scanned the area, looking for an Italian mobster or an immortal Highlander.

Or, based on the number of favored characters he had dispatched, someone who looked like Father Christmas.

Where is he? Who is he?

Like a socially inept person, I raised my brand new book and pretended to read it, expecting to catch its writer's attention.

A different cold-blooded vertebrate bit the bait.

"Welcome back, brother. You clean up fairly well."

I dropped my hand that held the book and turned around to face Markus. He was with a statuesque blonde. Vivienne Dike. I'd seen her in the news. Markus' taste had greatly improved from the floozies he went for in college. Fittingly, Dike is the goddess personification of justice. I wondered if that influenced the lawyer in choosing her career.

I gave my brother a curt nod. "Hello, Markus."

Vivienne looked at me and held out her hand to introduce herself. Before Markus could say another word, I grasped her hand, bent and touched her knuckles with my lips. This made the barrister blush and my brother flush for diverse reasons.

"Good evening, Ms. Dike. I follow and admire your work," I said smoothly, savoring the look of disbelief on my brother's face. Oh yes, Markus. I had cleaned up fairly well. That was what ten years of therapy could do.

"Thank you, Mr. Weaver. Markus has told me a lot about you. I am glad to finally meet you," the charming lawyer said.

"Good things, I hope. And please call me Ice," I answered, thinking Vivienne was probably being diplomatic. I doubted Markus ever mentioned me to anyone till he saw me a few minutes ago.

"Yes. He said that you're planning to open an art gallery. Markus said you have beautiful pieces and are as talented, if not better, as Francis in your genre."

I raised an eyebrow at Markus. He had praised me?

"But not nearly as gifted as I am, my dear," Markus told Vivienne. And he was back. Good. I didn't know how to respond to an appreciative family member.

"Except that you're yet to show me any of your work, darling," Vivienne crooned. Apparently, even the brightest minds couldn't resist Erebus' first born.

"I think I show you enough in the courtroom and in the bedroom," Markus teased as he pulled a strand of Vivienne's hair.

I cringed. Hades, somebody gag me. I turned away, intending to leave before the sight before me escalated to a horror of cheesiness.

Markus caught me squirming, and he smirked and continued, "I hope you're not planning to run away again if your dreams don't materialize. There's no need to shy away if others' dreams do."

I scowled at that, but decided not to say anything.

Markus lowered his voice and told me, "No shadows trying to ruin my suit? I'm impressed. All that time you spent dallying with your shrinks paid off, I see. Did they give you a lollipop every time you cried?"

I imagined the Chimera incinerating Markus' clothes, hair and eyebrows, but I restrained my shadows from forming the three-headed fire-breathing creature. The idea of a bald Markus was enough to pacify me.

Once I was certain I could tolerate any of Markus' taunts, I asked even though I knew he was here for Francis, "What are you doing here?"

"Supporting a good friend," Markus said.

I glowered at Markus and suppressed the mild dose of jealousy I felt. My brothers grew closer while I was away although I knew Francis had always favored his oldest brother. I could not even deal with my own mess while my brothers advanced in this world.

I couldn't help feeling like a failure.

This was ridiculous. A former god with a load of insecurities. I used to weave nightmares, but maybe I should switch to comedy.

"Is that what we call our brother now?"

Markus knitted his brows. I was probably not making sense to him. I was not making sense to myself.

I looked around, searching for Francis. I wanted my keys back in case I needed to escape. I thought I could do this, but my confidence was waning. I could not afford to relapse. I might need to set an appointment with Freud again.

First, I needed to find Lochan and have him sign my book.

I ignored Markus who was still frowning at me and scoured the area. I was looking for an elf and a gangster. Or a Scot. Or a historical Greek bishop.

And my eyes landed on a tall man who was talking with a group of people. He was wearing a custom made tuxedo. He had bright blue eyes and his pale yellow hair was fashionably slick and layered. He exuded confidence and charisma. He looked familiar. Perhaps I'd seen him on the news with Vivienne Dike.

He excused himself from the group and headed toward the bar. He placed his hand on the lower back of a woman sitting on a stool.

Where had I seen him? By this point, he didn't just seem familiar. I was convinced we had met before. I had to find out if it were in this short lifetime or a thousand years ago.

But the woman turned around.

And I forgot about everything else.

The man.

Markus.

Lochan.

The need to learn.

The need to leave.

The need to breathe.

My heart pounded. Fast and loud.

I had never been more aware of my human heart beating than at that moment when she spun around and our eyes met.

I had been overly and inaccurately critical about The Fields. I stood corrected. For in that instant when Selene looked at me, and smiled, I was in the state of perfect happiness.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

641K 19.7K 50
Unedited story* 21-year-old Persephone(who actually goes by Steffi since no one can spell or say her name correctly) is starting college. She's is f...
2K 78 12
**Story Sample, you can find this story on DREAME*** Hades, God of the Underworld was stripped of his love Persephone, when Selene, the Moon Goddess...
70.5K 2.2K 30
Dream is the king and guardian of Positivity, older brother to the prince and guardian of Negativity; Nightmare. Dream had been born as an alpha, his...
20 0 11
Have you ever dreamed of far away lands, monsters or magic? Did fear or excitement ever woke-up? Remi lives his dreams instead of dreaming his life, ...