Sage (manxman)

By JustWriter

Ford Jones is a nerdy high school student, his friend Audrey can attest to that but between crushing after hi... More

Chapter 1 - As Still as a Statue
Chapter 2 - Beyond Belief
Chapter 3 - Catalyst
Chapter 4 - Deadly Darkness
Chapter 5 - Etherial
Chapter 6 - Fighting Fear
Chapter 7 - Good as Gone
Chapter 8 - Harrowing Times
Chapter 9 - Impending Doom
Chapter 10 - Jumping Trains
Chapter 11 - Killing Time
Chapter 12 - Losing Friends
Chapter 13 - More Storms
Chapter 14 - Newsworthy
Chapter 15 - On Fire
Chapter 17 - Quarrel
Chapter 18 - Rising Tensions
Chapter 19 - Sacrifice
Chapter 20 - Together
Chapter 21 - Under the Cover of Darkness
Chapter 22 - Valiant
Chapter 23 - Watching You
Chapter 24 - X-Mas
Chapter 25 - You & Me
Chapter 26 - Zero Time
Epilogue

Chapter 16 - Pain and Power

5.9K 269 41
By JustWriter

Chapter 16 – Pain and Power

            Ford gasped as Landon lifted his head up and released him from his mouth. The southern stud lay over Ford, propped up by his arms, and stared at him through the darkness.  Ford felt Landon pushing up against him and Ford kissed him. Landon was handsome, that was for certain but something Ford couldn’t get over was that Landon wasn’t Levi.

            “You okay?” Landon pulled back staring at Ford in the darkness. “Do you want to do this?”

            Ford shook his head and rolled over in bed. Landon put his arm around Ford, pulling him in closer and cradling the smaller framed boy until they both fell asleep. As Ford drifted to sleep, his mind kept going back to that first time he kissed Levi in his garage. Then, there was a flash of Levi with their history teacher behind the school and Ford hated the teen. Feeling confused and conflicted Ford fell asleep cradled in Landon’s arms.

            Weak morning sunlight filtered through the curtains and Ford blinked awake. Moving in his bed he noticed it was half empty. Landon had left. Ford pulled on his boxers and threw on a shirt. Stepping out into the kitchen, Nancy was brewing some coffee in her night robe and nodded at Ford as she past him heading back to her room.

            “Hey, you’re up.” Landon moved over to Ford and gave him a peck on his cheek then squeezed his shoulder. Erin noticed this and put her spoon down. Her eyes traced from Ford to Landon then back to her cereal.

            Ford walked over and pulled a bowl out of the cabinet then joined Erin at the table.  “I think it’s really cold outside, did you two bring some sweatshirts?”

            “Yeah,” Landon said joining the two at the small kitchen table.

            Erin spooned some cereal into her mouth. “So you two slept well,” She said avoiding eye contact with Ford and Landon. She was clearly annoyed. “I get that you want to have fun,” Erin directed her comment to Landon. “But we need to keep our head in the game okay.” She stood up and dropped her bowl in the sink. Hurrying out of the room Ford and Landon stared at each other.

            “Did you tell her?” Ford started.          

***

            It was cold outside, but Ford did not want it to snow, although it was cold enough for it. Ford didn’t really like the snow much anymore. He looked up at the clear sky and zipped up his hoodie. Turning around in the gazebo, he looked at Erin and Landon leaning against the railing. It was a beautiful wooden gazebo in a nearby park. It had always been there as long as Ford could remember. There was a heaviness in the air still lingering from last night.

            “I think we should try and get a motel room.” Erin suggested, “I mean Ford’s mom doesn’t want us to stay there long and…we really don’t know how long it will take to beat this Forest Sage.”

            “Erin, I’m sorry…” Ford began and Erin put up her hand.

            “It’s okay, not your fault.” She quickly said then changed the conversation back, “so that motel room.”

            “There is one nearby here.” Ford avoided eye contact with Landon. He felt awkward. He didn’t want to dismiss Landon, but he also didn’t want to lead the guy on. Landon however, seemed completely fine with the situation..

            Landon’s bicep flexed as he pulled himself onto the railing, “I’m down to do that.” Landon reached into his pocket and pulled out a cigarette then snapped his fingers to light it. He took a deep drag from it and looked out. “This kind of reminds me of my home.”

            Ford turned away and leaned against the railing looking at the dray grass. A small patch of green seemed to flicker to life. A small white flower bloomed in the sun. Smiling, Ford looked at the single flower then stood up. He turned to Erin and Landon his face pale. “The Forest Sage is here.”
            Suddenly a long vine whipped through the railing and wrapped around Landon’s neck. It jerked him back onto the grass dragging him towards some trees.

            “Shit,” Erin jumped over the railing running after him. She held her hand out and the red glow of a sword. The glow faded in place of a real sword and Erin cut the vine around Landon’s neck.

            More vines whipped to life and pointed at the two. Landon moved his hands around causing the vines to catch on fire. Suddenly, a large swirl of leaves surrounded the two causing small cuts in their face. Ford sent a gust of wind blowing then landed besides the two.

            “Where is he?” Erin shouted looking around the now quiet, empty park. “He’s probably in the trees somewhere.”

            “There,” Landon pointed to the top of a pine as a green cloaked figure leapt from one branch to another. The figure pointed a bow and arrow at the group and shot one. The three jumped as the arrow struck the ground between them then burst into large vines. Ford and Landon were able to dodge the whips but Erin became tangled.

            “Enough, time to show this Sage what I really got.” Erin focused her energy in her hands a sword disappeared and a shield formed. She spun around slicing through all the vines in once motion breaking them. She pointed the now glowing shield at the tops of the trees and a large white beam shot from it towards the sage. The buzz from the beam and release of energy was immense. It snapped the thousand-year-old pine causing a smoldering burnt bit to be all that remained.

            Ford’s mouth dropped at the power, it was unlike anything he had ever seen. Erin’s strength had grown so much more and he suddenly felt far behind the other Sages. He gulped glad that she was on his side.

            “He’s gone.” Landon said and looked at Erin who looked as if she was going to faint. “That took a lot out of you.”

            “Just trying to hold my breakfast in. But hey, I am still awake this time…I’m gaining more control.” Erin smirked back at Landon.

***

            The Mountain Motel wasn’t too far from the park. The room was a small double bed with some random painting of a mountain and an old television. Once they checked in Landon made his way to the bathroom to patch up his wounds.

            “This is nice,” Erin looked at Ford and smiled, “I’m just kidding. I think I saw a vending machine, come with me to get a soda.” The two stepped out of the motel room. They walked together towards a vending machine down the hall.

            “You’re so much stronger.” Ford commented as they reached the machine. Erin looked over all the sodas then reached into her pocket.

            “In some ways.” Erin pulled out some coins and slid them into the machine. She looked back at Ford and smiled. “I’m really sorry about this morning. It was uncalled for how I acted.”

            Ford shook his head, “Are you mad at me?”

            “No, not at all,” Erin reached forward and grabbed a soda from the machine. “I just, ugh,” Erin took a sip then leaned against the machine. “I just, I really liked Landon and I knew he was a player. I mean, like every city…but…before we came here, we just clicked.            “I’m sorry, this is all too much for you.”

            “No, not at all,” Ford shifted his feet. “I’m just glad we are talking. I mean, we are all Sages…we should get along, right?”

            “I wish that were so.” Erin looked at Ford and frowned. “Ford, I know you don’t want to kill someone but…”

            “I know, I remember the last time you were here.” Ford shrugged shaking his head. He couldn’t imagine hurting a human, someone like him. Ford needed to change the subject and push away this darkness for at least a little longer. “So why don’t you tell him?”

            “Tell…Landon, what that I like him” Erin took another sip of her soda and blushed.

            “Yeah,” Ford nudged Erin in the side.

            “I guess I am just scared.” Erin threw her empty soda can in the trash and started back towards the room. “Maybe I’d rather watch myself get hurt than commit to anything.”

            “I suppose I’m the same way.” Ford replied thinking about his current romantic predicament.

            “Yeah, what happened with that one guy, the one you saved?” Erin looked Ford in the eye. He couldn’t escape this one.

            “Levi?” He gulped.

            “Yeah,” Erin ran a hand through her hair pausing at the entrance to the room.

            “Well, I guess…. I saw him with someone else but I-ran away.” Ford said, feeling a little relief he finally got it out of his system. He felt a little silly too.

            “Looks like we are both in the same place,” Erin commented. “Do you want to go see a movie tonight? Have some fun for once.”

            “Sure, but I have to do something first.”  Ford thought and walked to his truck parked outside the motel room.           

***

            Ford turned onto the street and parked a little before the streetlamp so it wouldn’t illuminate his car. His stomach felt like it was falling and he could feel the nerves begin to creep up his back. Opening the door his foot hit the concrete uncertain and he began towards Levi’s house. He froze as the front door slowly opened and Levi stepped out onto the porch easing the door shut behind him. Levi was so meticulous not to make any noise and a gray hoodie was wrapped tightly around him. Levi turned around and jumped, scared, by Ford’s presents.

            “Ford,” Levi whispered into the thick night air as he approached the teen. “What are you doing here?”

            Ford looked into Levi’s face and his tongue was tied. He gulped back his fears and kept thinking about Erin and what she had told him. “Levi, I need to tell you something.

            “What?” Levi eyed Ford then looked over his shoulder nervous.

            “I just, I don’t know how to say this.”  Ford gulped again, he felt his voice shaking as the words slowly strung themselves together. “I’m sorry for running away, I should have told you sooner but I was scared. I liked you and I wasn’t sure how to express it or what to do so I ran.”

            Levi opened his mouth but Ford put up a hand and shook his head. He needed to get it all out now.

            “But Levi, I” Ford’s voice was noticeably shaky now, he couldn’t believe how nervous he was. Ford almost would rather face Lori again than continue with this, but he needed to get it out. “I love you and I want to be with you, so I am sorry if I messed things up but, I love you. I just I needed to tell you, so you knew.” Ford felt some relief wash over him for a moment. But then Levi’s silence made him question what he just did, “Don’t just leave me hanging.”

            “Ford, I….” Levi started then looked over Ford’s shoulder. Ford turned around and spotted another car pulled up behind his. This one had a brand new window installed. He recognized the car in a second. It was Mr. Lenoir’s.

            Ford’s heart dropped into his stomach and he suddenly felt very ill. He turned back to Levi, whose face pale from the cold was speechless.

            “Oh, I- bye.” Ford walked back to his car. He could feel Mr. Lenoir’s eyes peering at him through the windshield. As Ford slid into his truck and revved the engine he quickly sped around the corner.

            Driving fast he wanted to get away but nothing was far enough for his feelings. Pulling over, he bit his lip and started to sob into the steering wheel. He hated this feeling. All he wanted to do was be with Levi and that was the one thing that could never happen.

            Thoughts began rushing through the teens head, maybe when he was older Levi would love him. Lifting his head and looking at his wet sleeve Ford let out a whimper.

            He drove home and went inside his house. Nancy and Roger were sitting in the family room watching television. Ford hurried by the two and Nancy stood up glancing at her son before he disappeared into his room. Ford planted his face right in his pillow and his door creaked. Nancy looked in at him.

            Ford felt a soft hand rub his back, “What happened?” Nancy started. “Is it those friends of yours?”

            Ford shook his head then sat up, “I really don’t want to talk right now mom.”

            Nancy lifted her hand and put it on her lap and with a heavy sigh, “I’m not a good mother, am I?”

            “I really don’t want to talk.” Ford held back his tears and looked at his mother. She turned her head making eye contact with her son, holding it for a moment then blinking back tears.
            “I can tell you’re hurting Ford, a mother knows.” Nancy gulped back and smoothed the creases in the sheet beneath her fingertips. “Remember Rocky?”

            Ford wanted his mom to go, but she was being persistent. He did, remember Rocky, barely, a picture of a brown old dog, gray around the muzzle licking his face came to his mind.

            “You loved that dog,” Nancy looked down into her lap and smiled, “he was a great dog. You’d lay on the floor and sleep with him when you were very little.”

            “I remember,” Ford’s heart still panged for Levi and he really wanted Nancy to leave him alone, but she wouldn’t.

            “We had him before you were born, but you two grew up each together.” Nancy continued.

            “I used to tell him my secrets,” Ford reminisced on the family dog. “He’d also protect me from the monsters.”

            “Right,” Nancy nodded, “I definitely remember the monsters. You were so adamant about him sleeping in your room.” Nancy’s smile faded. “But when Rocky got cancer….and we had to put him down you were devastated”

            Ford didn’t remember that too much, he did a little bit, but he was so much younger when Rocky died. He did remember his father sitting down with him and telling him that Rocky went away, that he wasn’t coming back, and he missed him.

            “…I do remember,” Ford started, “thinking there was no one there to protect me from the monsters.”

            “Right,” Nancy looked at Ford. “That killed me, thinking that there was nothing I could do to keep you happy, make you feel better…protect you from those monsters.” Nancy looked at Ford and put a hand on his back. “I think I need to learn that, that is you growing up. But, I’m sorry I can’t be Rocky for you.”

            “Mom, come on, I’ll be okay. I just…someone I really liked, like really liked.” Ford shook his head and started crying. “I-I really can’t.” Ford knew his mom was trying. But he couldn’t just start a relationship with her.

            “All right,” Nancy stood up and walked to the door, stopping and turning in to look at Ford on the bed. “Ford, I love you. I know someone hurt you, but…this won’t last forever.”

            “It just feels like it does.” Ford replied.

            Nancy nodded, “I know, heartbreak has a way of feeling like that.”

***

            Ford sat in the back of the library, early in the morning. He was tired and he wanted the school week to be over. But it was only a Monday. Ford was wondering how he would be able to find time to meet with Erin and Landon. Someone sat across from him. Ford looked up, it was Mr. Lenoir – looking very stern. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

198K 9.9K 84
The new, geeky kid in school gets partnered with a popular jock in biology. He believes that geeks and jocks can't be friends until this particular j...
581K 25.2K 32
a story about two boys who end up in detention, and it somehow brings them closer. lowercase intended
24.2K 706 30
Liam has had it rough all his life. A father with a new family who wants nothing to do with him. A drug addicted mother with an abusive boyfriend. A...
341 28 7
Contrary to popular belief, hell really does exist on earth. More specifically, it exists in the American public high school system. If you aren't on...