Dunabar (A work in progress)

By MasterIppi

More

Dunabar (A work in progress)

619 2 14
By MasterIppi

Jinta and the High Ruler

By

Master Ippi

 Prologue

For thousands of years, peace has ruled over the vast Realm of Dunabar, covering the entire history since the discovery and use of the Supreme Sorcerers Orb of Peace. The Supreme Sorcerers being the beings that created the Orbs of Power at the beginning of the age, and dying out just as mysteriously as they came into being. Unfortunately, the Orb shattered into thousands of pieces when the spell had been cast, and scattered across the entire land. This was the Highest Orb ever created, large enough that the pieces didn't disappear as a normal Orb would if destroyed, as normal Orbs are very small and extremely fragile against weapons, yet strong enough to sustain a lot of magical damage. 

These pieces of the Peace Orb could be found and held and be recreated. Over the thousands of years, almost all of the pieces have been recovered, but one still remains to be lost to the ages. Without this vital piece, peace will not come back if the Orb is needed to be used again. 

However, the High Ruler and High Knight, also known as the Eternal Twins and several versions of this name, some not suitable for proper conversation, protect the peace with a heavy hand, but they are not chastised, because it is understood that without their wisdom and battle prowess, chaos will ensue again. With the birth of every twin, which happens always when the old High Ruler and High Knight are near their deathbed for a natural death, are taken from their parents and trained in the ways of the Ancient Practices. The Elders train the new High Twins daily, one in the ways of the Mind, the other in the ways of the Sword. The ways of the Mind are the things associated with negotiations and planning. The ways of the Sword, are battle tactics and techniques. 

Nobody seems to recall why the Supreme Sorcerers created the Orbs in the first place, or what materials were used in the Orbs. All anyone ever seems to know is that the Orbs can be found in the wild, and ancient texts have been found and translated. The work that the Supreme Sorcerers have started can be continued, creating new Orbs with the ancient spells. A very elite few have found ways to bottle new magics and create entirely new Orbs, albeit not nearly as strong as the Ancient Ones, and of a highly inferior quality, sometimes backfiring on the one that activated the Orb, making these Orbs cheap enough for the masses to purchase, if one wishes to take the risk that they shall survive. A very few deaths have been noticed. One very bizarre case had their insides on the outside, and their outsides, on the inside. 

There are hundreds of types of spells, from Battle, Healing, Stealth, Elemental, Movement, and several industrial classifications. Once invoked, the spell takes a full night and day to recharge, to refill with the mystical energies to be recast, although you may have several of the same type of spell. If, however, a spell Orb shatters, every Orb within a ten mile radius with the same spell contained within is depleted for the next thirty hours. 

Lately, however, chaos seems to be coming back into the Perfect Realm, and the search for the Final Piece for the Orb of Peace hastens. A war will soon break out, for the Magic of the Orbs is selective, seeking to be used by a precious few. There are people that believe that the power should be shared with all, and that the Users, people that the Orbs of Power have chosen to work for, manipulate the mystical forces and horde the Power for themselves, choosing a select few amongst the higher ranks of the people to fill the positions left behind by Users that retired or passed away. The armies that are allied against the Users, consisting of people who want the Power, but are denied by the Orbs, are known as the Devoids. They are led secretly by a User himself, ostracized by society, for he manipulates the dead. The Orbs chose him for that power he claims, but the fear of what he can do led to his being an outcast. He seeks the Final Piece himself, for his idea of peace means death to those that kicked him out.

Chapter One

"Come back here you worm!! Come back here and return that food!" Jinta, cloaked in his traditional black, form-fitting garments, just laughs merrily as he leaps from vender-top to vender-top, lightly skipping across the paper-thin fabric as the guards flail after him in the cobbled streets. Most of the people in the streets, dressed in their rags that barely hide the bones and sagging skin beneath, just smile to themselves as they watch the circus act that Jinta always puts on to tease the heavily armored guards. He did this both to elude, and to make the inhabitants smile, something that only shows on their faces when Jinta is on the prowl. He is always stealing food and Yinlari coins for those families that are taxed nearly to death because of the demands of the High Twins. They need funds to find the Final Piece of the Orb. With the threat of a rebellion on the brink, chaos is erupting all over the city. 

Jinta leapt for the next stall...and tumbled to the ground in a dusty heap, as the guards that split off from the main group a while back had circled ahead and chopped the roof off, much to the dismay of the livestock vendor that the ruined roof belonged to. The vendor's cages broke open by the roof, supported by the weakened pillars, crashing down, and all his livestock waddled or flew or ran off, depending on their mode of transportation. Jinta leapt off of the roof, his footing failing under his flailing feet, landing in a huge pile of feces. 

"Hello there gents, lovely day isn't it." Jinta stood up, scraping as much of the lumps that he could off of his pristine black outfit. Good thing that he has hiding spots all over the place to change outfits. He looked at the guards in their glinting armor, and put on a frown. "Now look at what you made me do. Fine day THIS is turning out to be." 

"It is now, now that we have you, finally, you pathetic piece of...well...look at what you landed in!" The guards chuckled, thinking that Jinta had finally been made a public fool. The lead guard then brought out his Binding Orb, and activated it, binding Jinta tightly with an invisible rope. Jinta's eyes widened slightly as he had gotten himself caught of guard. This is something that he hasn't done since he began life as a rogue. 

"If I am a pathetic creature, why do I keep escaping your grasp? Although it seems that, you have me in quite the bind right now. I suppose that you have to win every once in a while otherwise you get replaced, am I correct on that assumption?" The lead guard cuffed Jinta roughly across the face with a heavily gauntleted fist, tumbling Jinta back into the pile of dung he had landed in, bleeding profusely from a split lip. "Lemme guess...you are going to take me to the High Knight, aren't you? Ah well...then I will have to take my leave then. I really ought to clean up first, if I am to appear before the Knight." 

"You aren't going anywh...YEOUCH!" The reason for the yelp of pain is that a rock had been tossed and shattered the Binding Orb, which dissolved the spell around Jinta, who immediately bowed to the public. The guards looked in all directions, wondering who threw the rock. They left Jinta alone for just a few moments while they activated their Sword Orbs for offensive procedure and began to scan for the offender that broke their Orb and disabled the other Binding Orbs, a capital offence, punishable by the Death Orb.  

This gave Jinta an opportunity to make a grand exit. "It has been a pleasure, but I must be off now." He dropped a bag of Yinlari enough to pay for at least half of the livestock, even though he doubted that any of them would have sold in the first place, bounded away and rounded the corner, and he pulled out his own Teleport Orb, and appeared at the house he was headed for. The trip wrenched him from his inner core, stripping layer after layer of flesh, although painlessly, and pulling him in every direction at once, and then put back together at the destination that he had set in his mind. After a few moments to regain his sense of direction, he went around the corner where he stashed a new outfit, in case of rips and tears, not expecting manure to ruin this outfit. He then knocked on the door, which slowly opened enough so that the people on the other side of the door could see who was at the door, and then the door flew open and Jinta was dragged inside. "I have returned, with the food and 300 Yinlari. Hopefully the Twins won't take it back from you anytime soon." He set the several loaves of bread and sack of fruits on the table, and then pulled out a second, small, cloth bag, and tossed it on the table next to the fruit, and then turned down any payment. "It is my honor to help those oppressed. I too know what it is like to be oppressed, so I know the pains that you feel for yourself and for your family. You need everything that I have brought with me to survive." 

"Please, Jinta, at least take this Orb, I found it digging in the back yard, and since we are Devoids, we cannot use it. We know that you can use this better than we could ever hope for. We have no idea about its Power, but with your connections, you can find out easily, and any other Orb we find, is yours. We won't take no for an answer." Jinta smiled, and accepted the Orb, which vanished to wherever the Orbs went to when Disactive, waiting to be called upon. 

"Thank you, I shall find this useful. Enjoy your meal, and you know how to find me, don't be shy." There was an underground network between the people of the vast city of Dunabar, and he can easily be reached, as there was one person that knows the secret hideout of Jinta. This was set up several years back when the taxes got too high for the common person to pay readily. He bowed and left the room. He then used his second Teleport Orb and appeared in front the Orb Identification Office. "I have a new Orb that I need you to Identify for me. Here is the 5 Yinlari coin as standard payment." 

The guy nodded, took the Yinlari coin, brought out an Identification Orb, and activated it. Hovering over the Mystery Orb that Jinta had brought out and set on the counter, a mist formed. Within the mist showed a man activating the Orb, and he melted into the shadows, and you can see him moving from shadow to shadow. This was the first of this Orb that has ever to be seen, and so Jinta had the privilege to name this style of Orb. "I shall name this spell ShadowWalk." The man nodded, and jotted the effect of this spell, and the name of the Orb. 

The silent attendant then activated the Orb in a box so that the Mystical Force that it exerted can be entered in to the Database, so that if any other ShadowWalk Orbs are found, they can be identified readily. "Thank you sir, and have a nice day." He did his signature bow, and then walked out the door while the attendant finished his business of completing the report on the ShadowWalk Orb. 

Jinta, on the other hand, walked to edge of the Spegburg Forest, where Forest met City, and found the main forest path, and along that path, found an animal trail that led back to his encampment. Along the way, he was mentally cataloging his Orb List and wondering about the decay that he has been noticing in the forest. It doesn't seem nearly as plush as it once was when he first became an outlaw nearly 10 years ago. He remembered being able to freely swing from branch to branch, the trees seeming to move to aide him in escaping, now the forest seems on the edge of death. Maybe it was time to see the High Elder once more. He regretted having to do it, because the use of Orbs was forbidden to reach his front door, as he only helps those that are able to traverse the terrain on his own skill and prowess. 

He could use the Teleport Orb, his third of five, to reach the edge of the hazardous marshland; however, he wanted to try to use the ShadowWalk Orb, to see if he could use it. His specialty was Stealth Orbs. If this falls under the classification of Stealth Orbs, then things were gonna go smoothly. He brought out the Orb, and activated it. Instantly, he felt his skin growing hot, he dived into the nearest shadow, learning the limitation of the Orb. Sunlight is lethal if he cannot reach shadows soon. He melted into a puddle on the ground, sent an 'arm', the arm heating in the light, but since he was moving along that arm, it was not lethal, to the next shadow, until he was fully in the next shadow. 

Moving this way, he was learning the finer details about this Orb. One of them, he realized, was that this was not a Stealth Orb, but one of the mythical Dark Orbs, and one that seemed rare. This could be interesting. Dark Orbs are feared, and oftentimes stolen by the High Twins. He would have to keep this an even bigger secret. Fortunately, he was good at keeping secrets, and telling spot lies. Lies are valuable, and should not be used often. With the telling of lies, one has to be sure to keep the lies straight. One has to know who was told which lie, and for which purpose. 

He reached the marshland while mulling over the details of his newest acquisition, Undurpath, in an hour tops, which would be instantaneous with the Teleport Orb, or 3 hours by foot. Here he waited until the spell lost its effect, which lasted another hour. He made a mental note saying that this spell lasts a full 2 hours. Observing that night was closing in, he retreated into the forest not ten feet from the marsh and found a nice spot in a tree and slept peacefully until the sun was nearing the middle of the sky. 

* * * * 

"WHAT!?! YOU LET HIM GET AWAY FROM YOU AGAIN?!?!?!" The Guards flinched as the High Ruler once more berated them for allowing Jinta to get away from them. "I see that I have to have my Twin Sister join you on you next hunt." The color from the Guards faces drained as they heard that the High Knight is going to be recalled from the Underground for this one person. The High Knight is investigating rumors that an underground army was building up for a revolt against the Users of the Orbs by the Devoids. "Leave me to my business, and go about your own trying to find this Jinta! Don't mess up again, or it will be YOU who receive the Death Orb...as in against you!" The guards bowed and walk away. 

Alice sighed and brought out a Communications Orb, and activated it once all of the retainers had left and barred the doors. From inside the Orb, the Twins could see each other perfectly. "Kayla, sister dear, you are needed here on your proper place on the throne. The guards are ineffective against catching this Jinta rebel." 

"You were the one in the first place that wanted to try to be the High Ruler my dear sister. Do you think that he is in the Army of Devoids?" Alice shook her head. "Then he is a User himself?" 

"Yes, a rather skilled one, it seems he is equipped with Stealth-style Orb and Movement. If we could 'recruit' him it would be most beneficial in tracking the Army." 

"Too bad he seems to be on the other end of Our Law. Ah well, he will convert, or die, like the other trash that defied Us." 

Kayla giggled, "Still as bloodthirsty as ever I see." 

Alice chuckled, "Still as sympathetic as ever I see." 

Kayla frowned, "We each have our roles, sometimes I wished that we never thought of trading off like we did for so long. I shall return by the morning daybreak. Until then, rest up, there is a lot of work to do down here, items that are best suited to you." 

Alice playfully saluted, "Can do, and hurry up, I miss my armor and the sound that the sword makes as I pull it out." They spoke for another hour, Alice catching Kayla up on the day's events, and the reverse, like they had done every day since they started their training from the Elders. Alice reminisced for a few hours after the communication was cut off of her and her sister, giggling in their beds, sharing information that they had been taught for that day. She especially enjoyed beating her sister up, playfully, teaching Kayla the sword techniques that was that days lessons. Those were the days. Days filled with long days of learning, fast afternoons of battle, and all-too-short nights of snuggling with her sister in her bed, even though they had separate beds. Alice will never love anyone as much as she loves her sister. To her, her sister was more than a sister. She had to keep that secret buried deep within her heart. 

* * * * 

In the morning, Jinta climbed down from the tree and started a small fire using an Ember Orb, and caught a few hares using his Dagger Orbs, and roasted one on a spit, and with the other hares cutting the meat into strips to dry into jerky. Gazing out into the Undurpath, once more into the Spegburg Forest to see if anybody was tracking him, and then stepped into Undurpath, feeling himself starting to sink already into the soft peat and mud. For a full 3 hours he navigated over rotting trees, through murky waters that went at least four body-lengths over his head, and being a short 6 foot 7, that was saying something. Through miles of quicksand, this land, devoid of pleasant creatures, was treacherous to even the most experienced of travelers. The plants themselves strive to keep out foreigners. If one is not careful, one can find oneself riddled with poisonous thorns. The creatures themselves have adapted to his hard environment. Standing on 2 legs, the Mortiator has thick, leathery skin, long claws, often coated in the same poison as the plants that they have to rip through to get anywhere. The Mortiator are ruthless, often killing their young and mates for their meat. 

The first time he traversed this terrain was almost 11 years ago, and he barely made it to the hut alive. He was on the very edge of starvation, bleeding in several places, and in some, infection was already starting to rot away at his flesh, sending searing pain ripping through his body, but he made it. The High Elder completely restored his body to its peak form, and then tasked him to become what he is now, a Hero to the People, and an adversary, albeit a playful one, to the Most High Twins. 

He did not set out to become a thief and a vagabond, but that was the price he had to pay to find out the answer. His question? Where was the Final Piece to the Peace Orb. He was asked to return when he has the power to walk in the darkness, and the ShadowWalk Orb seems to be able to do the job perfectly. So onward he trudged, through the deadly swamps that not even the Guards, nor dare even the High Twins to enter. Otherwise, the Peace Orb would have been completed by now and activated. 

Finding the Final Piece was to be rewarded with the highest reward, a life of luxury and happiness, life in the palace, being waited on hand and foot, eating anything you want, whenever you want. It would be a dream come true. He couldn't wait. Soon, his dream will be made reality. 

* * * * 

Late in the morning, Kayla entered the castle with cheers and admiration from the crowd gathered in the streets to welcome home the High Knight, Protector of the Land, and Champion to the Users. Kayla just smiled and waved at them, giving them hope that they needed, even though there was none to be shared amongst the peons that she and her sister governed. That glimmer is what sustains most of the peons, but there were a few amongst the crowd that were willing and eager to spill her blood. 

Filthy animals, these Devoids, thinking that the Users are hoarding the magic of the Orbs. It wasn't their fault that the Orbs were picky, picking the elite amongst the rabble to share their power. The Supreme Sorcerers made sure of that. Yet, there were people like Jinta, rabble, using the power of the Orbs AGAINST the High Rulers. Maybe the Supreme Sorcerers weren't all that bright after all. Who knows how their minds worked anyways? 

Walking into the anteroom, she greeted her sister with great gusto. Alone in the room together, they openly hugged each other, and updated on the news since last night, and then retired to their rooms so that they can change back into the others roles. Alice stretched, "It will feel good getting back to the slaughter. I have missed it over these last days. First, however, I need to go after this Jinta fellow and slay him good." 

"Please, back off of the bloodlust sister, it makes my belly queaze thinking about it. I have had enough of it in the sewers." As evidence, she was turning pale green. 

"Fine, fine, you can keep the throne, I am not that much of a diplomat in the first place like you are." Kayla just laughed lightly. "Seriously! My brain hurts!" To that Kayla could only laugh heartily, while Alice just stood there rubbing her forehead. 

There was a knock on the bedroom door, and both girls bolted upright and answered the door together. "Sorry to bother you both High Twins, but we have a location on Jinta. Some of our scouts have reported Jinta being on the edge of the Undurpath Marshland. This report is only a day old. We believe him to be in cahoots with the High Elder. His business there is as of yet unknown. Our scouts refuse to enter the Undurpath without heavy Protection Orbs, but as we all know, Orbs in the Undurpath 9 times out of 10 backfire explosively. Only the Dark class Orbs work perfectly all the time." 

"Yes, we know all about the Orbs and the Undurpath phenomena. Keep your scouts on the forests edge. Watch every foot! I shall be there soon." Kayla slammed her fist on the bed hard, causing even her sister, the High Knight, to flinch. "For one more night we must switch. I have to meet this Jinta in person." Her sister merely nodded. She got dressed in the Knights armor, grabbed Shadowmist, the war-horse of the High Knight, and ran at full steam to the Spegburg Forest's border with Undurpath.

Chapter 2 

Jinta made it to the cabin of the High Elder when the sun was making its decent into the Northern Skies, making the azure sky burn brightly with rich reds and oranges. Jinta knocked on his door 3 times, and after a pause of a minute, he knocked 3 times more, and entered the cabin, heading straight to the attic, which had become the observatory. Before he can even speak, the Elder speaks up in a deep, dry voice. "I see you have returned to me after so long Jinta. I was beginning to get worried that you never would return. Have you found an Orb that can allow you to travel in darkness?" 

Jinta nodded, "I have dubbed it the ShadowWalk Orb. When active, it allows me to travel from shadow to shadow for a full 4 hours. In those 4 hours, though, I can travel near the speed of light, ironically." 

"Indeed you have found that Orb. Good, good. Now, how has the life of a rogue been for you? Come down to the kitchen and tell me all about it." He turns and walks with hollowed out eyes that has shown no sign of infection at all, nor does it seem like that there were eyes there to begin with, to the kitchen at the normal pace a seeing man can. Jinta follows closely behind him. "Could you put on a kettle of water for some tea please?" 

"I could, but I am a rogue, remember? Of course I will." He takes the kettle, goes out the back and dips it in a freshwater spring and brings it back into the kitchen and hangs it on a hook over the fire, a few drops hissing as they fell on the hot coals of the cooling embers. After stirring the coals to stir up a nice flame to boil the water, he then regales his tales of the past 11 years, ending with his plight through the Undurpath back here. 

Half-way through the story, he goes to the fireplace and takes the kettle off of the hook and pours some boiling water over ground up leaves in a separate kettle to steep the tea, and then pours himself and the High Elder some tea. To his he added copious amounts of sugar. 

"Ah, the ShadowWalk Orb was GIVEN to you, eh? Very intriguing indeed. As if it were meant for you it seems. As you must assume from the lack of new items in my hut, no changes here, unless you count the hitch in my back due to age that seems to grow steadily worse. Of course the weather is something else entirely. You must find and replace, within the month's end, the final shard, or I fear that Mother Tiaku herself will revolt against her own peoples. I can smell snow will be falling soon, even though snow isn't due for another 3 month's yet, being that this is the middle of summer." 

Jinta blanched at that thought, the thought of snow. "Please tell me that you are pulling my leg...no...you never have, or make, fun. Too bad, you need to lighten up once in a while. Being a sourpuss will shorten your lifespan." He smiled, knowing that the High Elder couldn't see the smile. 

The High Elder looked towards the border that Jinta entered the swamp from. Creases of worry crossed his face. "There is trouble on the border Jinta. I fear that the Twins know your position, and moving in to take you. The ShadowWalk Orb seems to be a Dark Orb, as you have surmised earlier, usable here in the Undurpath Marshland. You must leave tonight, they will not make it here, and I can make sure of that. I have great connections to the land here, Mother Tiaku has given me control of the Undurpath. Rest well, you will need all the sleep that you can muster." 

Jinta looked slyly at the Elder, "If you can control the Undurpath, why did you make it hard for me to traverse it the second time? I find that worrisome and disturbing." He drained off the last of his tea, and poured himself another glass. 

A grin cracked onto his hardened face. "Haven't you learned yet? It was to test you of course. I needed to make sure that you haven't lost your edge." 

"How could I forget all the stuff that you drilled into me for the time that I spent with you? You make me the vagabond that you said I had to become. I am even better than before if I do say so myself." He took a small bow, but gave up halfway through, realizing that once more he cannot be seen. "I keep forgetting that I have to modify my actions around you you blind fool. Well, doctors' orders say that I need to rest, so I will see you on the morrow. One thing Elder...have fun with the intruders. Enjoy yourself, let loose. Go wild. I do not want any of them on my tail when I have to break free of this place." 

"I dare not let loose, otherwise I can destroy the very world that we live in. I can control everything, up to a point, after that point, Mother Tiaku takes control back, draining me of my life energy, and rebelling against the abuse She entrusted me with. Fun I will have though, it has been several generations ago that I had to use the power that Mother Tiaku gave me to protect the things that she deems worthy, like your cause. Mother Tiaku will always be with you, as well as Father Azuramum. Ask, and they will grant you power." 

"Yeah, if I had the correct Eleme-OUCH!" He yelped in pain because the High Elder cracked his face with a rolled-up dishtowel. 

"Orbs are not needed, nor necessary. The Supreme Sorcerers committed high treason in creating the Orbs of Power. They stole the power from Nature, and perverted it for their own petty whims. Never forget that!! First...what do you think the Peace Orb did in the first place?" 

"That is obvious; it created peace between the peoples of Tiaku. EVERYONE knows that long ago, Tiaku was involved in a global quarrel over land and power and...well, everything." Jinta stifled a bored yawn poorly. 

The High Elder chuckled amusedly. "That is what the original Everlasting Twins, and their council, WANTED everyone to think. Unfortunately, it is wrong, so very wrong." The Elder motioned for a fresh cup of the still steaming tea. After Jinta refilled both cups, he sat back down and crossed his legs while the Elder continued his lore weaving. "I was there you know, I have lasted these ages in hopes of redemption, for it was I who activated the Peace Orb, not to quell the global conflicts, but to restore the Peace between Tiaku and her peoples, for stealing her powers and bottling them up. Even now that peace is wearing off, and she is rebelling once more. This is supposed to be one of the 5 hot months, as everyone knows, our year consists of 20 months, each 35 days long, and it is supposed to be much hotter, haven't you realized how cool it is?" 

Jinta nodded, "The thermoreader showed the Thermal to be 73, where the average is supposed to be near 96 and higher for the 5 hot months. Interesting tale, I will have to meditate on that, meanwhile, I need my sleep. Going to make my exit from Undurpath easier that it was getting in?" 

"Only if you head south, because if you go north, you will not survive, trust me on this." He stood up and went out the door, and buried his hands in the murky swamp, and called to all of the flora and fauna of the Undurpath, bending them to his will as per his contract with Tiaku. Grinning, he began setting his traps.  

* * * * 

Kayla growled at the murky waters of the Undurpath, not daring get within 50 yards of the death-filled waters. She has set most of her men along the north border, knowing full well that cliffs run along the west coast, and east is the desert that has the reputation to be filled of murderers and thieves and bandits, with a healthy sprinkling of sand pirates. It also has the perfect name, Bloody Desert, for vicious winds run rampant all the time, with the occasional hurricane of sand decimating those without Protection Orbs, stripping flesh off of anything caught unawares in a matter of minutes, leaving the bones to be ground to dust before the bodies can be unearthed for burial. Still, she set scouts every fifty yards along the Bloody Desert border with Undurpath. Herself, she went to the south border all alone, watching everything and everyone she met, which weren't many at all, as to the south of Undurpath is pure, untamed woodlands, where the vicious animals still run rampant, and is a protected reserve, to protect the history of Dunabar. 

There is a series of Shield Orbs that activates when the last one fades away, to trap the wildlife inside, and the people out. It is not a perfect system, as there is a one minute delay between Orb activations. There is a window, a small one, nearly every 3 hours, when the last Orb fades away. Seeing as there are 30 hours in a day, there are 10 Orbs. There is no way that he will be this foolish, but desperate men can do foolish things when pressed. She settled herself on the 10-foot wide clearing between the wild lands and Undurpath, relaxing. She let her horse roam about looking for grass to crop, and she lay down on the ground, gazing at the sky, Father Azuramum, watching the clouds drift past lazily, and was soon dozing. 

Within hours, night fell. Kayla awoke shivering. It should not be this cold already, there is another 2 hot months left to go. She dug out an Ember Orb, activated it and dropped it immediately, and watched the Orb catch fire a few second later, and watched the flames dance, sending her into a trance. She needed this respite badly. She shed her armor and piled it up under a blanket and lay back on the pile. 

* * * * 

Jinta waited in the High Elder's hut until nightfall. Dressed in clothing that will not reveal him to be the rogue that he is in case of meeting someone undesirable, he activated the ShadowWalk Orb, and easily was on the southern border. He was disturbed to see a column of smoke. He reformed his body out of the Shadows and came to the side of the fire. "Mind if I share this warmth on this unusually cold night?" 

Kayla snapped awake and nodded drowsily. She glanced up from the Ember Orb and noticed immediately his handsome face, and his rugged looks, and felt something stirring deep inside her, something she has never felt before. She placed her hand on her chest and was disturbed that her heart beat faster the longer she studied this figure. "Forgive me gentle man. Kay...Kaitlyn is my name. You must forgive me, hard day." Jinta smiled, and when he did, she felt herself wanting to strive for more of his attention, and his smiles. 

"That is completely understandable and totally forgiven. My name is Jinadal, glad to make your acquaintance." He sat down across her on the other side of the fire. He moved his hands closer to the Ember Orb and warmed up his hands. "So, what brings you out here to this dangerous area lovely vixen?" 

She felt her face get hot at his compliment and stammered for a reason. "I, well, eheheh, I am out here, on a job, top secret. That is all that I can say." She looked away from him, otherwise she would've spilled even her darkest secrets, no matter the consequence. What was this that she was feeling? She felt all warm and, sort of mushy at the same time. 

"Too bad, as I need a companion to help me on my mission. A lovely lady such as yourself would've been great company. I am about to set off an a dangerous quest for the Missing Piece." He stretched his back and lay on the ground, his hands folded underneath his head. 

When Jinta mentioned that, Kayla snapped back to her senses, and glared at him. "What makes you think that you can find the Missing Piece? We have already explored everywhere!" Jinta looked over at her, his face softening in the dimming glow of the Orb. "That is to say...we as in the people of this plane of existence. Not we as in, a certain group of people." Her face flushed once more as she studied Jintas face, fading away as the Ember Orb's fires flickered away. She dug hurriedly in her pack for a fresh Orb, and activated it, almost throwing the Orb to the ground so that she might once more gaze at his chiseled face. She was dismayed to find that he was no longer where he has lay down at. 

She stood up and began cursing under her breath. "What a mouth for a maiden of your looks and charm." She yelped and turned around, stumbling over the Ember Orb, unknowingly setting her breeches on fire. All she felt was herself falling deeper into this mysterious emotion. 

Jinta, however, saw her on fire, and dived for her legs, beating away at the charred clothing. She slowly glanced down at her leggings, and cursed slightly. She stood up and went behind the pile with her armor and, softly, spoke. "Please, do not come around here, I need to get out of these ruined pants." She undid her pants, and lowered them, and found that she might've accidentally wet herself when she caught fire, as her underclothing was damp. She lowered them as well and changed into a new set of underclothing and breeches. 

Jinta sank into the shadows and explored under the pile, hoping to spy on her, but was dismayed at the armor. He used his pseudo-pods to sabotage the joints, making them unusable. When he heard her lacing up her breeches, he reformed on the other side of the pile, where he lay before. "All repaired milady?" She nodded, still with a faint blush that returned with fill vigor. "Good, so, how about it? Care to go with me to the heart of the Bloody Desert, where my sources say the Missing Piece is being held?" 

Anything, to be with you is what she wanted to say, but she forced her position back to the fore-front of her mind, burying anything that did not seem to be worthy of the position she held as the High Ruler, albeit still in the guise of the High Knight. "Sorry, I would love to go, but I have to wait for a dangerous fugitive by the name of Jinta, cursed be his name." 

Jinta merely smiled, "You never know, he might've already ducked into the Bloody Desert already. I thought that I saw a rogue sneak across the border early yesterday afternoon." 

"WHAT?! AND YOU ARE TELLING ME THIS NOW WHY??" 

He stood up, went behind her, and draped his arms over her shoulders, crossing his hands over her belly, and whispered into her ear. "Well, you never said what you were doing earlier otherwise I would've told you much sooner. Don't let this ruin what could otherwise be a very, fruitful, relationship." He could feel her melting under his charm. He could always get any lady he wanted, he was a player, and could charm even the most homely hag that she was the loveliest creature in the entire world. 

"I suppose that there is no helping what has passed." She turned around in his arms, burying her face into his chest, feeling his strength surrounding her, but still felt the softness of his touch, and she knew right then that this is what is love. She has been longing for an inkling of what it felt like, but was dismayed at how she was kept being denied, because of her position, everyone wanted her, but also feared her, because of all the power that she and her sister shared. This man, who know not her position, was speaking honestly, and whole-heartedly she felt. On a whim, she explored in the fading glow of the Ember Orb, his lips with hers. She felt an electric thrill surge her entire body as her tender lips found his firm, gentle lips. 

Jinta shared the kiss for only a few moments, before breaking the kiss, begrudgingly. "Why is a young maiden such as you be so eager to find love? Is it because you have yet to experience it?" He stepped away from her. He could see her in the light of Luntanko, the moon, shivering as he stepped away. Indeed, she felt her world crumble as he stepped away from her. "I too am ready to find my lover, but I wouldn't want to get her hopes up, only to be dashed if I do not, pardon me, WE do not get out of the Bloody Desert alive." 

She nodded, understanding the logic behind his seemingly wise eyes. "I suppose, it is because I was raised secluded, away from the world." Her eyes misted as she reflected over the years of growing up with musty books, and mustier elders, her nose instinctively curling as she recalled the think air of age and thousands of years of growing dust. Jinta saw her hard features soften as she became more woman than legend. 

Seeing the armor under the pile, he knew that she was the High Knight, legendary warrior, said to be merciless, but the woman before him was not a legend, but more of a lonely woman, secluded away from her emotions, her womanly desires banished under the burden of her position. "For the moment, how about we just sleep, so that we can be fresh for the sojourn into the Bloody Desert." He went back to the dead Ember Orb, rolled it out of the pit, and brought out his own Orb. This was a stronger version of the one that Kayla had. This was a Bonfire Orb. He moved the items that were safe for an Ember Orb to be near, out of the range for what the Bonfire Orb can do. He activated it, dropped it on a pile of moss to cushion the Orb, and walked to a safe distance, and a few seconds later, the Orb seemed to have exploded in a massive fireball. The area for several hundred yards seemed to be as bright as daylight. "This ought to last us the night." He lay down on the ground a safe distance away so that he remains warm, but not hot. 

Kayla smiled as she got completely warm for the second time (the first being in his arms) and walked over to Jinta. He opened his eyes, and lifted his arm, to which she curled up next to him, snuggling close to him, not wanting to leave his presence. It might seem foolish, but she wanted to hold on to this feeling of desire, of love, as long as she could, before reality had to rip her away from this dream, and back into the nightmare she knew her entire life to be.

Chapter 3 

Alice glowered at the peons who come in repeatedly daily with the same requests, phrased differently. Do they think her a moron not to see the various ways the same requests can be phrased? It has been 2 days since her sister left to go after Jinta the Rogue, and she has yet to report in her findings. She was getting worried that her only familial connection might be in trouble, but then she reminded herself, nobody would DARE mess with the High Knight, on pain of a torturous death that she herself implemented. She misses the smell of fresh blood, the feel of the blood as it courses down her body. She misses battle. She let the rambling of the pleading peasants pass from one ear to the other, not listening, until a messenger arrived with an ultimatum from the Devoids. She immediately dismissed court, and motioned for the quivering messenger to her sister's throne, which she is sitting in as per the Ancient traditions is for the High Ruler. The messenger handed her the missive, and waited at her feet. She kicked at his face, missing on purpose, but still reveled in his quail as he descended. She began reading it, first to herself, and then repeated for the entire court to hear. 

To the High Ruler and her Sister, the High Knight. We do hereby proclaim war on your Kingdom, and all the Users within, unless you relinquish your control of the power that allow you to chose those who become Users, and the ones you deem unworthy of using the Orbs, the Devoids. You have three weeks before we march on your Kingdom and those within. 

Skulker, King of the Devoids.

Alice roared, and drew her sword and ran it into the head of the messenger all the way down to the hilt. The guards visibly trembled as they watched the High Ruler slay the messenger. "Those IDIOTS! THEY think that we prevent the Devoids from using the Orbs?!? If it were up to us, NOBODY would be Users, except those in the Military and the Hospitals. Unfortunately, we don't. Everybody get out NOW!!" The guards nearly tripped over each other running out of the room to escape the wrath of the High Ruler. As soon as they shut and barred the door, they heard several explosions and crashes. They put their weight on the door to prevent the storm of Her wrath from reaching the rest in the castle. For over an hour they barely contained the wrath and prevented anybody other than the High Knight if she ever showed up. 

"I wish that the High Knight were here. In fact, if I didn't know that they wouldn't switch positions, I would swear that the High Ruler is in fact the High Knight." 

"That is dangerous talk, but I agree with you. When the Twins are together, they almost seem placid." 

Once things have finally settled down, the guards slowly unbarred the doors, and eased open the doors. The formerly grand room that was filled with banners and curtains as ancient as the castle itself was now in complete ruin. The guards shakily took their positions while the Elders paraded in and assessed the damage. After about an hour taking stock of the damage, and began to count how many times a Repair Orb would need to be activated to restore order to the throne room. They determined that it would take several hundred activations to restore everything to peak condition. They would have to do it in clumps of 30, as the Royal Stores have 50 Repair Orbs, and needed the other 20 just in case something else drastic happens. 

Alice stormed from the room and went to her bedroom, stripped down, and went to the Royal Baths to relax, and wash off the blood of the serf messenger. She sank deep under the suds and relaxed. She wished that her sister was here, as they washed each other thoroughly. They did everything together, and she missed her sister horribly. Her sister kept her sane. She wouldn't have decimated the Throne Room NEARLY as much as if her sister was there. Kayla was her world. She loved her sister dearly, and would do anything to please her. 

After an hour soaking in the warm suds, she stepped out, her milky skin glistening in the moonlight filtering in from the one way windows. She went to the next room, the steam room, and lay down on the benches for a few minutes, before standing up. Still unclothed, began an exercise regime she made for herself to keep in peak form. For a full hour, she honed and toned her muscular form. Panting and dripping sheets of sweat, she went back to the baths and scrubbed herself clean. Walking slowly back in the secret passageways still stark, she flopped onto her bed, locked the door, and went immediately to sleep. 

* * * * 

Jinta awoke at his usual time, the 5th hour after sunrise. He unwrapped his arms around Kayla, and went into his morning stretches, to keep his limberness at their maximum efficiency. Kayla began shivering, feeling Jinta's warmth melting away from her, and, grudgingly, woke up herself. She stood up and leaned backwards to work the kinks out of her back. After she had straightened, she went over to his side. "I take it that you are used to sleeping on the ground? I sure am not, I am unbelievably sore." 

Jinta smiled, "The key, is stretching afterwards, as I have been doing. Even if you find yourself on a soft bed, stretching does wonders. If you don't mind my touch, I can help you there." She nodded vigorously. Yearning for the merest hint of his touch is what she seemed to live for currently. So, for the next 2 hours, in the warming air, he pushed her to her limits, and beyond, getting her nice and limber. She took his direction readily, eager to learn from this thief...of hearts. She believed that he can do no wrong, no evil; she believed this in her inner core. In the 8th hour after sunrise, they ate sparingly from his food pack. Kayla whistled for her horse, and, nervous about losing Jinta's love, sent him to scout for a way into the Bloody Desert safely. Once gone, she used a Packing Orb and stored her armor in the Orb, safe and in suspended animation, so that she doesn't need to worry about the armor rusting away. 

Half hour later, Jinta returned. "I have found a semi-safe way; there are currently sandstorms that are starting to stir. Myself, I don't have the proper Protection Orbs for sandstorms, we might have to bunker down for another full day." 

Kayla didn't know whether to quail for the delay, or be thankful for the delay. She wants to remain with him for as long as possible, but she needs to also capture Jinta and take him before her sister for execution. She imagine Jinta to be a rough and rugged, decrepit fellow, not the Jinta that stands before her right now. She feels guilty for lying to him about her name, Kaitlyn. Where did she get that name anyways? Why did she make the name up in the first place? He was so sure that his name was Jinadal, and she believes that he can do no wrong. Why was she so scared what he will do, what he will THINK, if he found out that she was the High Ruler, in the guise of her sister, the High Knight? Because... a voice long since forgotten and buried rose up in her mind, ...you love him, completely and totally, you don't want to ruin this good feeling, you want to treasure and cherish this feeling forever* "I don't have the proper Orbs myself, sorry." 

"Not a problem at all. After the week that I had, I need all the rest that I can manage." He lay down on the ground again and went promptly back to sleep. She smirked in his direction, and lay down again herself. She needed a vacation herself. She must've dozed off herself, as when she reopened her eyes, he had apparently done some hunting, as there were a few animals over her Ember Orbs roasting. She figured that it was the smell of the meat cooking that awoke her. She sat up and crawled over to the Ember Orb, and took a deep breath of the scintillating aroma of the fresh meat. "Help yourself, there are plenty of the Long-eared Rabare ready to roast. And no need for manners, dig right in and rip away whatever you want from the bones. I do not judge like that." He smiled at her, and she felt herself sinking deeper. Kayla grabbed one of the stakes with the rabare impaled on it, and began to hungrily rip away at the tender meat, savoring the flavors of an open flame. Back at the castle, they had nothing like this; everything was already off the bone and on platters with all the silverware in the proper order on napkins. She felt exhilarated to live wild like this. She could really lose herself, her identity, out here, in the wild, with no servants or underlings, just her and him, forever. 

"Jinadal, I do not think I asked you what you are doing out here, besides looking for the Missing Piece. Why would you want to live in the lap of luxury? You have complete freedom, right here, right now. Living the high life is lonely. No friends, and the 'friends' that you do have want what you have, not what you are." She sighed a lonely sigh. 

"It is better than scrounging for day-to-day food. There are literally dozens of deaths a week from starvation, and the supposedly High Protectors, are doing nothing to prevent these useless deaths. They sit on their thrones, eating until they are plump, wasting a lot of food that can be redistributed easily. The people are not picky about what they eat, as long as they CAN eat." He too sighed a deep, heartfelt sigh. "They listen to nobody, they think of only themselves and their power. They don't listen to anybody, especially recently while the High Knight is away. 

Kayla startled at that statement. Alice was not doing her job? Well...not her job, but Kayla's job well? She would have to investigate that when she gets back. In the meantime, she went over to Jinta, and draped her arms around his neck, her fingers dancing on his thick chest. "I am sure that things will be smoother when we get back to civilization. In the meantime, check the border, see if the winds are dying or not." Jinta nodded, and left the encampment. He returned an hour later with an all clear sign. She nodded, and called her horse back over, and told her to go home. The horse nodded, and began galloping back. 

Jinta smiled, and waited until Kayla got her gear together. About 15 minutes later, they set off, hand-in-hand. When they had reached the border, he dropped her hand, and went into his backpack, and grabbed 3 Orbs in each hand, between his fingers, while Kayla grabbed 2 Orbs herself, one in each hand. "Shield and Sword?" asked Jinta. She nodded, and glanced at his hands, "Dagger?" He nodded back. Together, eyes wary for any sign of life, they stepped into the Bloody Desert. 

"Has anybody ever mapped the Bloody Desert?" Kayla asked Jinta without looking at him. 

Jinta shook his head. "The terrain changes too often, with each storm. It is futile. Not even the residents know the terrain by heart. They only have a generalized idea, and very few landmarks. I myself only know the basic routes, and they go nowhere near the center of the Bloody Desert. Rumor has it that at the center of the Bloody Desert is an epicenter of constant, continuous gales of gritty wind. I guess we shall find out then, won't we?" 

Kayla merely nodded at the thought. Curses, and without any Protection Orbs. I knew that he might've gone into the Bloody Desert, but I didn't think that he would be foolish enough. "What will we do for protection then? We both admitted that we didn't have the proper Orbs. I guess that we might have to raid some of the inhabitants, although I hate the thought of dealing with them, especially since it will be 2 against dozens. I am skilled in the art of battle, but not well enough against a gang like them." She reflected on the Orbs that she brought with her, and tallied up how many she could handle. 

Jinta chuckled, "Sounds like fun, doesn't it? I am a fair hand myself. I can handle large groups easily. Don't worry about it." 

"You sure seem lighthearted in the face of danger," she growled. "I don't get you, you seem all serious about some things, but here we are about to face certain death, and you laugh about it!" 

Jinta let out a hearty bellow of laughter, "Life is too short not to have fun. If you are serious all the time, your life sentence will shorten. Live free and loose and live longer. The more you are stressed out, the more you will come down with ailments. Ever see a sick jester, or a perfectly healthy Elder? Didn't think so." He risked looking over at her and smiling widely. 

Kayla felt his gaze on her back, and turned towards him, and smiled back. *There is something different about him, like he might be touched in the head or something. I am still fascinated by him though.* "Let's focus back on the terrain." Jinta nodded, and looked back the way he was looking before, keeping a close eye for life, and traps, both man-made and Mother Tiaku made.  

* * * * 

Jinta remembered back to something the High Elder said to him before he left. "Ever wonder why the Bloody Desert was named so since the dawn of written history? It is because that is where the Peace Orb was activated. The Peace Orb decimated the other Supreme Sorcerers. I was spared merely because I created my own peace with Mother Tiaku and Father Azuramum long before then, and was granted my own power from Mother Tiaku." The High Elder was visibly shaking as if his memories were attacking his very body. "At the Heart of the Bloody Desert is where the Final Piece can be found, in the heart of the Everlasting Winds. There rests the bottom of the Orb. I was told by Father Azuramum to leave it there, because the Peace Orb must never be activated again. Otherwise, all of the Users will be bereft of their powers forever. I feel that it MUST be activated, for my own repentance for the dastardly deeds that I have done all that long time ago." After this tale was finished, the High Elder went to sleep, seemingly as if the weight of the plane was lifted off of his fragile, bruised shoulders. 

Jinta smiles to himself as this memory fragment arose and drifted away. They had been walking for several days already, headed in one direction. They figured that if they kept in one direction, they would find some clue as to where the Heart of the Bloody Desert was. Their supplies were whittling away as they pressed deeper and deeper into unknown territory. They knew that Mother Tiaku was rebelling against the realm because the Bloody Desert, which usually has Thermals over 150 daily, and 79 nightly as an average, has dropped to that Jinta's thermoreader has been reading 96 in the day and 27 at night. 

Kayla kept close to Jinta at nights, so that they can share their warmth, and not use the Ember Orbs, so as not to attract unwarranted attention. Jinta asked for the waterskin, as his lips were about to crack from the dry air, she brought it out, dismayed at the fact that it had run dry. "We need to find a waterhole somewhere Jinta, we can die out here. Even though the Thermal had dropped, it is still arid and dry." Jinta merely nodded, not trusting to open his mouth to let out more moisture. He thought a bit, and smiled, causing his lip to split wide open, and began to drink his blood, moistening his mouth. Kayla turned slightly green at the thought, and whipped her head away. "Please...don't do that again." 

Jinta could barely muster a faint hint of a chuckle. He then perked up his ears. He motioned for Kayla to follow him, and for about thirty minutes of desperate hiking, he tilted his head again, and altered his course ever so slightly, and ten minutes later, he tumbled off of a dune, and splashed into frigid water. "YYYEEEOOUUUCCCCHHHHHH!!!!" He couldn't leap out of the pool, as he skinned up his knee horribly, causing the crystal clear water pinkish around his knee. He did, however, splash around in the pool carefully, ecstatic in being cool in the daylight, and moistening his flesh, which was starting to look leathery. A few seconds later, Kayla had stripped her outer clothing completely, and dived in next to him. When she surfaced, he looked sternly at her. "I AM IN SEVERE PAIN HERE! I think I broke my knee tumbling down." 

"Oh, sorry about that Jinadal. I guess we have to bunker here for a few days, because I don't have that kind of Healing Orbs. I have Minor Healing Orbs, not Orbs that can set or heal bones readily. By the way, how did you know that this was here?" Jinta merely pointed upwards, and there she saw the gliding buzadees, small avian creatures that feasted on rotting flesh. "So you heard their cries. Impressive, as I didn't hear a thing. How did you get to be so good at detecting things that other people are unable to detect?" 

Jinta tilted his head downward in deep thought. "Maybe because my Orbs are mainly Stealth Orbs. Since I use them so often, maybe my abilities got sharper. Who knows how the Orbs directly and indirectly affect their Users. There have never been enough studies about the Orbs that I am aware of. In the meantime...ARE YOU GOING TO DO ANYTHING OR NOT ABOUT MY KNEE!" 

She went over to Jinta and brought out a knife, and cut away Jinta's pant leg. She slowly pulled away the cloth from around the wound. Pink ooze seeped from the cuts, and his black knee bones were showing. Jinta winced at the pain as she peeled back the flesh and muscle to get to the bones to inspect the break. "Sorry, but this will hurt worse than anything you have felt before. Jinta could only grunt, preparing himself for excruciating pain. She set down a glowing Minor Healing Orb on his shattered ebony kneecap, and activated it. Jinta let out a roar of pain that scared away the buzadees. Slowly, painfully, the minor fissures sealed up, and the larger cracks narrowed slightly. Spent, the Orb's light dimmed. Jinta panted heavily as his knee continued to throb. 

Kayla nodded. "Makes sense, about your Stealth Orbs that is. So, what kind of Stealth Orbs have you got with you? I am curious at your collection." 

Jinta smiled. "Show me yours and I will show you mine." 

Kayla fought back a blush, as they spend the rest of the daylight in the water, reveling in the cool waters, and relaxing carefully, as Jinta's knee was still killing him. At night, however, when the temperature dropped, they had to risk the Ember Orbs to maintain any kind of heat. Jinta, wanting to keep awake for a while longer in the middle of the night, poked Kayla hard in her ribs. "What do you think will happen when we find the Missing Piece? An elderly man said to me that the Peace Orb was made to make peace with Mother Tiaku and Father Azuramum and their children, us." 

Kayla snorted derisively. "Obviously he was mistaken. It was activated to make Peace between the peoples." 

"What if it doesn't do that? He also said that if we activated it, then the Users will no longer be able to use the Orbs anymore, that the powers of the Orbs were taken from Mother Tiaku and Father Azuramum." 

"That man is a quack. He should be put down. Anyways, listen to what we...the High Twins say. That will be best Jinadal. How is your knee feeling?" 

"What do you think, it is still killing me. I wish that there was an Orb that numbs body parts. But the chill of the water seems to help that pain. The same person that told me those tales also says that the change in weather is because Mother Tiaku is rebelling, getting revenge for stealing her Power." 

"That doesn't make sense. Why would They do that?" 

"Well...do we have any records of how things were way back then? I have hunted, and I haven't seen anything." 

"True, the records are incomplete. I still don't think that the weather changes are caused by Mother Tiaku and Father Azuramum." 

"Well then, what do you think is causing the weather changes?" 

"You got a point there. Let's sleep now." Jinta nodded, and was almost instantly asleep. These tales swarmed in her head like long forgotten dreams...and nightmares. Could everything that she knows to be true, be false? She would have to think hard about that. Meanwhile, her eyes could no longer remain open, and she fell asleep before she realized that her eyes had closed. 

As soon as the red sun rose out of the sky, Jinta began to roar in pain, which woke up Kayla, who rushed over to him. "You alright Jinadal?" 

"NO! WHAT DO YOU THINK!! MY KNEE FEELS LIKE IT IS ON FIRE!" Kayla picked him up and walked with him into the water, and set him down. His face became less creased and stressed, as if the waters were healing him. She knows that that isn't the case. The coolness of the water was soothing the wound. She picked up a second, glowing Minor Healing Orb and set that on the kneecap, and activated it. Within seconds, the glow ceased, and the fissures had finished sealing. 

"All that is left are the muscles, blood veins, and the outer flesh." Kayla worried deep in her heart for this man. She knows that it was not meant to be, this feeling of hers for him, but she cannot help it. She cannot abandon her sister. She needs to sort out her feelings. First things first though. Get the Missing Piece. That is first. They rested for the rest of the day. Jinta kept grumbling and complaining about his knee. This is understandable. She would herself if she were in his place. The red sun started to set, and the thermal started to drop fast. She moved closer to Jinta and wrapped her arms around him. He seemed to not be in as much pain as before with her near him. 

They settled down to sleep within 2 hours of the sun setting. Jinta had already fallen asleep, when they heard an explosion. Jinta jumped to his feet, and instantly roared in pain, and fell to his knees, cracking the kneecap anew along the same fissures. Kayla quailed at her failed attempts to heal him. "I am sorry Jinadal; I thought that it would work!" Jinta could only glower at her. She recoiled from him, and fished in her pack for the Weaponry Orbs she had stashed back because they thought that they were at a sort of sanctuary in the Bloody Desert. She cursed herself for being unprepared. Unfortunately, she couldn't search for long, as she felt a poke of something sharp and metallic at the small of her back. She slowly stood up, and turned around. "Yes? Something I can help you with Mr...." 

"Redbeard. Captain Redbeard, Captain of the Sandy Scurvies, Master of the Bloody Desert, and your captors. Hand over your Orbs!" 

Kayla growled, "Never! You have no idea who you are messing with." 

"Then enlighten me." Kayla kept her mouth shut, as she didn't want to chase away Jinta. "Didn't think so. Don't be a heroine." He turned around, and activated a SunFlare Orb, lightening the area. He turned around. "Jinta? What are you doing out here? I haven't seen you in several months!" 

"Don't you mean Jinadal? That's his name, Jinadal." 

"You are mistaken, his name is Jinta, the Rogue." Jinta could only look away in disgust. Kayla's world fell apart. She lunged at him, fingers splayed, only to be stopped by Captain Redbeard grabbing her hair and stopping her short. "Not so fast harlot." 

Jinta snapped to attention, "Never call Kayla that! Yes Kayla, I knew who you were." 

Kayla was devastated by this news. He knew who she was, and lied about seeing Jinta cross into the Bloody Desert? Was everything he did and said a lie? Was this why she was kept segregated from the commoners? More and more questions whirled in her head. 

Captain Redbeard went over to Jinta. "What are you doing with that old alias? I thought that everybody knew that Jinadal was Jinta, except the High Flops and their cronies! She must be a moron, for not knowing who you are buddy. Wait a minute...Kayla...THE HIGH RULER! WHAT ARE YOU DOING OUT HERE?!?" 

"I came for HIM! I should NEVER have trusted you!" *I still desire him though, I don't understand why though.* "Why did you carry around this charade??" 

"For the same reason YOU did Kaitlyn. So that I can befriend you. I have lied only about my name, that is all. Redbeard, do you have a BoneSetter Orb?" Redbeard nodded to a crewman, who brought out a sack of Orbs, and dig around for a few minutes, before finding one and tossed it over to Redbeard, and set it on Jinta's knee, and activated it. In a bright flash of white-hot light, the kneecap is sealed, and the flesh began to mend itself, with Jinta struggling hard not to make a noise. "Many thanks my friend, but please, do not harm my partner, and release her on her own cognizance. As the High Ruler, she is bound by her oath to me, that oath being that she and I head into the Heart of the Bloody Desert, where the Missing Piece lay waiting." Kayla growled, because he was right. She was bound by her word. 

Redbeard laughed heartedly, "You always knew how you play the ladies." Redbeard offered Jinta his hand, and helped him to his feet, and then gave him a tight hug, clapping him hard on his back. Jinta coughed with each clap. Redbeard backed off, "Sorry, still recovering from the Bloody Desert, eh?" Jinta merely nodded. "Anyways, why take this risk to the Heart of the Bloody Desert? Life is good, right Jinta?" 

"How can you be so BLIND Redbeard? Have you not noticed that Mother Tiaku has started to rebel? The weather is turning cooler, and cooler. Surely you and your band have noticed this!" Jinta maintained as straight as face as he could, but when he got excited, he couldn't help but to move his legs, causing his face to blanch as pain once again ripped through his body. Jinta breathed heavily through his teeth for several moments until the flare of pain subsided. 

Kayla felt her heart skip a few times as she watched Atn...Jinta in pain. No matter what he did, she still cared. There is a small kernel of love that she wanted to nurture and to cherish. She knew that she was sent out to kill him for crimes against the Twins, but she fell under his charm. She couldn't kill him now, or ever, once she knew him, or rather, his façade. She still wasn't sure about trusting him completely, but she cannot help but to trust everything that came through his rather chapped lips right now. Why did she have to fall for him? She is tore between her feminine needs, and her job as the High Ruler, where there is no room for any type of emotion. She would have to meditate on her needs and wants. 

Jinta, on the other hand, merely lay there as the throbbing subsided once more in his knee. "I do deeply regret the deceit of the names, but I had to complete my mission from the High Elder." 

"HE IS STILL ALIVE!!" Kayla leapt up and wrapped her hands on Jinta's collar of his shirt. Jinta nodded. "I thought that he died off ages ago. What? Is he living in the Undurpath?" Jinta nodded again. "So then...the stories that you told...they were true then?" Once more, Jinta nodded, and then gently placed his hands on hers, and removed them from his tattered shirt. "Sorry, I was just...so shocked that he is still around." 

"Yes, and it was HE that set off the original Peace Orb. He said that the Peace Orb was made to make peace between we mortals and Mother Tiaku and Father Azuramum. He survived the explosion of the Peace Orb, which killed all of the other Supreme Sorcerers. He survived, because he made his own peace with Them. When the Peace Orb is once again activated, all Users will be Devoid." Jinta sighed as his narrative ended. Redbeard and Kayla were knocked back on their heels as they digested this information. "If we don't repair and activate the Orb, all life will end."

Chapter 4

Alice paced the throne room waiting for word on the insolent pup named Jinta. It has been a few WEEKS since Kayla went out with her people to capture this wretch. She couldn't stand it anymore. The deadline for the Devoid War is one week away. She needs her sister to take her spot back so that she can go back to slaying! She hasn't held court since her sister left, and she didn't care. Let the worthless people squabble. If she doesn't hear from her sister by day's end, she will have to resume her role as the High Knight, and damn the consequences. She will have to form a War Counsel. She dreaded the thought, as one hasn't been formed since the Peace Orb was activated to quell the petty squabbles and quibbles. 

She heard a pounding on the barred door, and rushed over to it. "WHAT!?!" 

"Pardon your Highness, but, the city is being depleted by most of the Devoids, and all of the Users are gathering in the main hall, knowing that the battle is going to ensue." The Elder spoke in a quivering voice, not wanting to disturb the High Ruler. 

"There is still one week left, according to the missive!" Alice slammed her fist into the door, making a dent noticeable on the other side. 

"True, but you killed their messenger. It starts tomorrow." 

Alice roared in fury, and threw open the wooden plank with ease and shoved open the door, dressed as the High Knight. She stormed to the Main Hall, calling together all of the Elders. Within moments, they appear in a cluster, clutching the Ancient Texts. "Y-Y-Yes High Knight? B-Back from the Bloody Desert?" 

"You incompetent FOOLS! You have NO idea that we SWITCHED roles! We have been for over a MONTH! NOW...onto planning out this irritation." Alice dragged over a heavy table single handedly, swinging it around in front of her and stopping it with her hip. Within moments, the table was surrounded by the Elders and the Their specialized Texts, each Elder in command of a specific Text, so that if anyone wishes to plunder the Castle, there is no easy was to gain command of all of the Ancient Texts. 

* * * * 

Skulker sneered at the city. The pompous city that rejected him. The overbearing city that ruined his life. It is not HIS fault that the Orbs gave him control over the dead. He took on this name because of his control over the Undead Orbs. He had long since forgotten his name, being almost as old as the High Elder himself. He remembered being in the crowd, already controlling the Undead Orbs, already feeling his immortality. That is, until the High Elder activated the Peace Orb. He could feel himself dying in supreme agony, as if his entire being was being ripped from his body and inspected, and then crammed back into his own skin. He awoke hours, days, weeks, months, years later, who knows. All he knew is that when he woke up, he knew his purpose, and it was not with Mother Tiaku or Father Azuramum, but rather, that of the underworld, one who has been lost to history, buried deep by Mother Tiaku and Father Azuramum. He gave Skulker his name. He took away the pain and agony of his past existence.  

Skulker's Orbs kept him alive thanks to the being that was lost to time, infusing him with an unending life, engulfing him in HIS dark powers, making him a powerful User, able to alter his own Orbs to make them unbreakable. His revenge shall not be denied. He shall take down the High Twins, and reign supreme over all creatures of this realm. When the High Twins are down, so shall Mother Tiaku and Father Azuramum. With Tiaku being behind the High Ruler and Azuramum being behind the High Knight, all shall fail and fall down. His deity, Skellbar, shall not fail him. Father Azuramum and Mother Tiaku had tricked Skellbar into his plane of everlasting torment and torture, but Skulker, through the use of the Undead Orbs, was able to revive Skellbar, and bring him back into this plane. As his reward, Skellbar made Skulker invincible, for as long as he served him, and he also made him able to withstand any Orb attack. 

With a low, yet loud rumbling voice, he called out to the masses of Devoids. "These Users have long since brought us so-called Devoids to the brink of extinction. They care only about themselves and their coffers. These Users don't want us Devoids living amongst them. As proof, they select a few amongst them to wield the Power of the Orbs. I myself WAS a Devoid, but then I found Skellbar, and he gave me the Power of the Orb! Fight, and EARN YOUR POWER!!" The people cheered and hollered and the power of their massed voices caused even the Palace to shake from the middle of the city a few good miles away. "Fight for your rights, and fight to show the Users that we SHALL NEVER BE DENIED!!" The roar that followed shook some of the loose mortar from the Palace from their resting places. "Tomorrow, vengeance shall be OURS!!" The people gathered around his massive form cheered somehow even louder, and began to chant his name. He began in between his name, chanting Skellbar, and the name slowly rippled to the outer rings, so that in a few minutes, everyone was chanting Skellbar's name. Skulker chuckled as he breathed in the smell of impending mayhem and victory. 

* * * * 

Alice winced internally as she felt the palace being shaken every half hour merely by the roars of the Devoids. They couldn't get any planning done because the roars intimidated the Elders and the Users gathered within the palace walls. She sighed in despair and frustration. These people were completely worthless. They might've trained her, but they knew nothing practical about preparing and setting up a war, or to plan it. She dismissed the Elders, but kept the Ancient Texts to pore over. Just about every ten minutes, she would have to dust off the Texts because of the pebbles and dust that fell from the ceiling. Each time, she dusted off with more anger and vigor, risking tearing up the Texts with the forcefulness, fueled by stress and anger and frustration. "...This is pure madness...We are supposed to be the supreme force...how dare they think they can change the way things have been run for aeons!..." 

* * * * 

Skulker chuckled darkly as he watched the very foundation of the walls shudder with merely the voices of his army. The more anger and energy his army produces, the more power and strength that Skellbar gains from his followers. Soon, his God will once again walk around on this plane. All the energy gathered going straight into a rift between the planes that was created when Mother Tiaku and Father Azuramum sent away Skellbar the first time. Little do the Mother and Father know that their Son will break the prison walls and roam free once more, even stronger than before. This whole plane shall become Skellbar's playtoy once the rift has been rent open. Skellbar will destroy this plane and create a new plane in his image. Then and only then would peace come over this land. He fingered his charm around his neck, one that Skellbar would guarantee that peace would come. He knew this to be the Last Piece of the Peace Orb. He knew that thousands have hunted after this piece, and here it is around his neck, thanks to Skellbar. 

Tucking it back under his tunic, he motioned for his army to quiet down. "Enough for today, we have proven to the Twins of our Power. You need your rest, for tomorrow, war breaks out. The War to end All Wars, The War for Peace!!" With one last roar, the people settled down. With that last roar, the rift nearly rent open. Skellbar waited eagerly, thinking dark and devious thoughts. If only these peons knew His plans, they would wet themselves, would soil themselves, convulsing within their flesh. 

Yes, so far, everything has gone according to his Master's plan. Soon, he would be informed when the perfect time to strike will be. That will be when the city's fear is at its peak, when all hope has left their stuttering hearts. All he has to do, is wait. He is a patient man after all. He has waited centuries for this moment. A few more days are mere drops in the bucket. 

* * * * 

Jinta and Kayla waited as long as they dared to heal up, along with Redbeard and his crew. Jinta and Kayla spent a lot of time together, planning, and getting to know each other better, now that the truths were out. After long hours, they were about to head off to the center of Bloody Desert. On an inspiration, Kayla asked Redbeard for a communications orb. When one was provided, she connected to Alice. "WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU SISTER! WE ARE UNDER SIEGE RIGHT NOW!!" 

Kayla stammered, and almost dropped the orb. "Alice...what is going on over there? I am here, in the Bloody Desert about to penetrate the center to get the Final Piece! I was rescued by the pirate Redbeard. My partner and I were wounded." 

"That...that...ANIMAL Skulker has an ARMY of DEVOIDS outside the city gates. Use whatever means to get to the Final Piece, for peace." Kayla nodded, and was about to cut communications. "Oh, and sister? Be well, I love you." 

Kayla returned the sentiment. She tossed back the used orb to Redbeard's lackey, and then turned back to Jinta and Redbeard, and relayed the news that she received. Jinta was the first to speak up. "Redbeard, leave us some supplies, and then sneak into the city and help Alice. Kayla and I will continue on by ourselves." Redbeard nodded, and began barking out orders. He turned to Kayla. "Do you trust me?" She nodded soberly. "Then, let's do this. Let's save the world. I never thought that I would be working along side of my 'enemies', to help them, and to have them help me back." 

Kayla just smiled, and gave Jinta a peck on the cheek. "I am glad that I met you as I did, under these circumstances. Otherwise, things might have been different. Before this, I would have tossed you into the dungeon. Now, however..." She turns away to hide a blush. Jinta looked at her curiously at first, and then nodded, understanding, knowing how she feels about him, as he felt the same about her. He just clapped her on the back to show that he is there to support her, and felt her relaxing, however slightly with that knowledge. 

* * * * 

Alice paced back and forth in the Main Hall. How COULD she! Making off with a...a...a MAN of all people! Kayla was supposed to be HERS! Nobody could get between them...NOBODY! Also...REDBEARD! AND NOT BRINGING HIM IN! Also, WHO IS THIS PARTNER! It better be somebody strong enough to withstand her wrath. He better be for his sake, for her wrath has spawned nightmares of even the soldiers of her court, not to mention the countless children of the land. Too bad she didn't inspire more fear into the Devoids. She called in some runners to go throughout the city to gather the LOYAL members of her city together at the castle, and for the Users, what Orbs they can control. "Tell them that any who fight will have their crimes forgiven, AND that they will be given their choice of a reward, Gold or Orbs!" The runners nod, and rush out to do Alice's bidding. 

The High Elders flooded the Main Hall with antiquated maps of the city. "Your Graciousness, Sister to the High Ruler, Mistress of the Armies, the High Kni..." Their words were cut off by a sharp glance and they cut off the rest of the titles attributed to her. "Alice, we found these maps of the city, and they show thousands of underground tunnels that we might..." he couldn't bring himself to say "escape" underneath the withering glare of Alice, "...keep the loyal Devoids, and the weaker children from the brewing battle." Alice nodded her approval of the change of the sentence. 

"So then, start that, and post the Users that are coming in at the entrances there for protection. We will stand! We shall prevail! WE SHALL WIN THE DAY!" She stormed out of the Main Hall and into the Antechamber, where families, in shabby clothing, most of them with ribs sticking through of the often naked child. Seeing these children on the verge of death, their frail parents hovering protectively over them, seemed to rent into her heart. What had her and her sister done!? These people here...cannot survive any kind of fight!! She felt something on her face that was foreign to her. They seemed like a strange moistness that she has long since forgotten about. He had to think for a few seconds on what they were. Tears. Yes, that is what is falling off of her proud, jutting chin. She spun on her heel to run to the kitchen, more tears squeezing out of her eyes, which she tries to keep screwed closed. Once in the kitchen, she demands with a voice unheard of from her full red lips, gentle and firm, that they start cooking in overdrive to feed the people amassed together. They dumbly nod, and start cooking their best meals with a spring in their step. 

Disconcerted, Alice took the back passageways to her room, and started pacing back and forth, thinking and reflecting on her and her sister's actions to these people. She could not think of anything wrong that they did. They did everything that the High Elders said was done in the past. Were they wrong in trusting them? She knew early on some of the things that they were forced to do seemed a tad...cruel... She shook her head to clear the jumble of thoughts tumbling in her head. This was no time to be thinking about who did what, when to whom for whatever reason. Now is the time for action! She was off to good start with having the cooks feed them all. She reached into the satchel by her hip and sprinted off to the treasurer to get a count of how much Yinlari was in there to pass out to these people. Her heart seemed lighter as she scanned over the records kept by the scrupulous and sharp-eyed treasurer. The aged man almost died of pure shock as she DEMANDED that he pass out every single Yinlari back to the people, divided evenly, every man, woman, child, and baby, with one more Yinlari coin to each family for each animal in their household. Dumbly, he nodded and shambled off to the census taker for updated records of the populous here. Her mind wheeled in search of what to do next. Alice turned on her heel once more and dashed off to the seamstresses. After explaining what is needed, they were more than willing to work their fingers off to make new clothing for everyone of the Devoids and lesser Users in the castle hold. They grabbed their cloth rulers and several pads of paper and pencils and started to take names and measurements of the people there, even recruiting some of the mothers there that were adept at sewing. 

Exhausted, Alice went back to her room, and, still armor-clad, collapsed on her bed, and slept better than she could ever remember, even with a cold spot in the bed where her sister, Kayla, always curled into Alice for protection, and warmth. With her mind at ease about the people, that left room for a whole new line of questions. Why did the Elders make them do what they did? Was it something that was always done? Or did things change over the eons? How would she find out? CAN she even find out where the turning point was, if there was one... There are too many questions, too many trails of thought, which path to choose first? The noise outside the city died down. The calm, before the storm. She fell asleep before getting any answers. 

* * * * 

Kayla and Jinta, rested up, started towards the center of the Bloody Desert on their mounts, camelopes. These creatures have four massive humps, angling out from their bodies into the air, each one sprouting a foot above where their four legs join their bodies. From their heads, massive horns sprout forth. To these horns, reins are attached, so that they can be guided. The camelopes had attached to their humps canvass on three sides to keep out the sun and the sand. Huge eyelashes dangle down from their eyelids which aides in keeping sand out of their own eyes. These creatures can survive weeks on the water stored within those humps. Many times, in extreme circumstances, people have cut off the humps to survive, drinking the water within those humps. Jinta and Kayla were not planning on having to resort to that, as they had many stores of water skins with water, and packets of meals in Storage Orbs, keeping the food fresh. They arranged it so that Jinta had the Storage Orbs with the water and Kayla the Storage Orbs with the food. 

Redbeard offered to come, but Kayla said that where he and his crew of vagabonds would be most helpful would be most helpful was at Castle Dunabar. That way, the Devoids would face trouble on both sides of the line of battle, the Users on one side, and Redbeard's crew on the other side. Resolutely, Jinta and Kayla headed towards dead center, while Redbeard's crew marched towards the castle. 

Jinta and Kayla had to rely on Directional Orbs, supplied by Redbeard, to maneuver around the Bloody Desert, as the sand was so thick in their, especially towards the center, that they could barely see a few feet around their camelopes. The Directional Orbs, when activated with a place name, shows an arrow, that points directly to the place named, and size, smaller growing to larger as one gets closer. These particular orbs are unique, as they can be activated unlimited number of times, but, can only be re-activated, when the Directional Orb reaches the destination that was used to activate it. Right now, these two Directional Orbs were focused on the center of the desert. The only movements that they two made were to correct the path that their mounts were going. Each movement in this dry, arid air caused skin to crack and their thick, pink blood flow, only to scab over as soon as the blood touches the air. Jinta nearly cried out in pain through his cracked lips when he went to scratch at an itch. After an hour, they had to pull the camelopes together to share some of the water, carefully. 

Kayla moaned as she noticed that the arrow barely grew in the last hour of careful travel. "Only someone who is dead can pass through here safely. How can we make it through here?!" 

Jinta pondered, and then winced as a realization came to him. "We wait, until nighttime. Then...we use the orb the High Elder said I would need. I cannot believe that I didn't think of it before! What a fool am I!" 

Kayla looked at him curiously. "What Orb is this that will allow us to continue on our way?" 

Jinta smiled as best as he could. "You shall see. For now, I believe that we can use up the rest of the water sparsely. I know that our skins are dry as can be, so let's huddle together in the sha..." He glances into the sky, and then points his camelope in another direction, yelling at Kayla to follow him. An hour later, they arrive at an oasis. "Finally..." 

Kayla looked up into the sky. "Ah, the buzadees again. You have sharp eyes. I am jealous." Jinta merely chuckled. Little did she know that somehow he was connected to the buzadees, because they themselves seem to be connected to the Dark Orbs. Since he was connected to the Dark Orbs, so then, by affiliation, he was connected to the buzadees. At times, he did not like that affiliation, at other times, grateful, because he could look into their minds and see the landscape in his mind from their point of view. It took him a while not to get vertigo looking down at the ground from their eyes, looking for the oasis that scattered across his dead and barren battleground. Also, on the positive note, he has found many of his Dark Orbs around where the buzadees circled and camped out. 

They climbed down from their mounts, thankful for the Calmness Orb that is maintained at the Oasis, as it prevented the wind and sand and most of the heat from blowing in. They sank deep into the waters there, revitalizing their bodies. "How do you keep finding the buzadees?" 

Jinta shrugged his shoulders. "It is how I am. I can spot things that nobody else can spot. As I have mentioned before, I believe that it has something to do with the Stealth Orbs that I am able to use and to control. Before I found out that I was a User, I was not as agile as I was before, or any of my senses were nearly as sharp." He was an accomplished liar, but he did hate the small lies that he had to tell Kayla. She merely nodded, noticing that as she continues to use the Sword Orb, her skills in feigning and blocking become sharper and quicker. 

Jinta looked into the sky, "It looks like we have 2 more hours left until nightfall, and then we make our move. Rest up, we have a lot of work to do." Kayla nodded, and sank under the water to allow more of the water to soak into her cracking skin. They splashed each other and laughed and made love, as stark as they were born in, reveling in each other, forgetting their mission, at least, for the moment. They lay down on the beach in each others arms letting the sun dry their skin, again thankful for the Orb that also reflects a lot of the suns heat. 

* * * * 

Alice woke up after a few hours later with a foggy mind. She stood up and stripped out of the armor and clothing she wore the day before. Moving to the mirror she examined herself up and down. She ran her fingers along her silver scars from various battles. They crisscrossed all over her body. She chose never to have the scars removed, wanting reminders of her battles. She shivered under her touch. She relived her glorious battles as she ran a finger along each scar. She relived each sword strike, each shield block, the battle coming alive once more in her mind. 

After an hour, she dressed in simple clothing and went to the dining area. She looked around at all of the refugees eating their largest meal in most likely their entire lives. Pain stung her eyes again. She ate very little, not really hungry because of the pain that she sees here. 

The Elders started to head towards her with stern looks. She stood up and marched towards them. "What do you dust-bags want?" Their eyes widened with this sudden burst of disrespect. They opened their mouths and closed it many times before she ordered them in the other room. They rush in there, scared for the first time for their lives. Even unarmed, Alice was a force to be dealt with. 

* * * * 

Skulker had his minions bring back a corpse that they had secretly killed earlier that day into the tent where he and his commanders gather daily to make plans for the assault. He waved them off dismissively, as if they were unimportant. They were, but he could not let them know that. He did not want his fodder to know that they were, in fact, fodder, so he tossed them a Yinlari and they scrambled out. He went to the corpse, still warm, and soft. He grinned. "Yes, this will be the perfect vessel for getting into the city for espionage purposes. Behold, my Generals, their downfall." He brought out a dark, dusty Orb, one that looked like it was oozing poison, yet solid. They shuddered. Skulker activated it, and his mind and spirit was pulled out of his body, and into the corpse. He stood up. The name of his body was Jude. This body was unmarried, and had no children. This body was looking better and better. A loner, nobody hardly ever saw him. Skulker/Jude cackled, as his Generals shrank back, awed by the power of the Undead Orbs. 

* * * * 

Jinta awoke first, as the sun finally vanished into the ground, and the air started to cool off rapidly. He splashed his face with the water of the oasis, and then went to the camelopes to pull on a fresh tunic. He woke Kayla up to do the same. "We can leave them here, as it will be real quick, my way." Kayla could do nothing but trust his judgement. Jinta put an arm around her waist, and held out the Shadowwalk Orb in his other hand. "This was given to me as payment for robbing you the other day." 

Kayla was about to protest, when he activated the Orb. -Kayla, this is Jinta. Do not worry, we are now blobs of shadows, traveling, ironically, at the speed of light. We have about an hour before Luntanko rises, and destroys most of the shadows. Follow my trail.- Kayla nodded, and did her best to maneuver around. Jinta focused on the center of the Bloody Desert, and faster then he could yell out Kayla, he was there. He formed the mass that was his shadow body into a figure that was more or less his normal body, and looked around. What he saw...was most disappointing. He was expecting some sort of shrine, or temple, or SOMETHING other than the normal sand and desert life. There was NOTHING here. Nothing at all. He looked around again, and then did a double-take. There WAS nothing here. No Orb, or Orb piece, or piece of the Peace Orb. He yelled in defiance, his voice echoing listlessly. 

Kayla formed next to him, finally getting the hang of traveling in the shadows. "Jinta, what is the matter? I could hear you from miles away!" She looked around, and saw within moments his cry of anguish. "I see, someone got here before us. That does put a damper on the celebratory mood of getting here safely." The Directional Orb arrows spun fast, signaling that they made their destination, and vanished, ready to be activated again. "I doubt that we could hold out the Directional Orb and ask it to take us to the Final Piece. That would be too simple." She did follow the words to action, not expecting anything. An arrow did pop up, and she followed it to a miniscule shard, which, when she took in her hand, the arrow vanished. 

Jinta looked over at her, curiosity in his eyes. "What do you have there?" He took it from her and inspected it. "It does seem to be a shard of the Final Piece. Whoever beat us to the main prize, did not expect this Shard of the Final Piece to have fallen off. WE ARE NOT TOO LATE!" He jumped and danced about, wincing and halting only slightly when he stressed his knee a tad too far, a few minutes later. 

"That only leaves one question, my dear Jinta, of who has the main part of the Final Piece." She had not realized that she kept clasp in her hand the Directional Orb, which activated and pointed back the way that they came. "Jinta...we have our answer. It seems, Dunabar." Jinta sighed, and looked into the sky. "We have still 30 minutes of pitch blackness left." She nodded, and they went back to the camelopes. They waited until the Shadowwalk Orb expired, before pulling out the Storage Orbs for the water, and refilled them, so that they will have plenty of water for the return trip. 

* * * * 

Jude walked into the city, looking around for the most direct path to the castle. The city seemed like it was empty, barren. He hoped that the High and Mighty Twins did not vacate the city entirely of all of its inhabitants. Most likely they pressed every last one of them into service for their savage and bloodthirsty needs. He wended his way into the castle, and looked around. Everyone was eating or sleeping. He saw Alice tending to one person. It could not be her...Alice was the cruelest of all of the Twins in all of history! He should know...he spoke to them, through the Undead Orbs. Maybe it was a ruse. Maybe they found out his plan! Maybe they IMPLANTED the thought of doing this into his mind, to get him alone, to get him away from his body, to lure him in, make him easier bait! No! That could not be it. His mind spun with all sorts of theories and reasons why Alice would be doing this. 

Alice looked up and saw Jude. SHE KNEW! Alice motioned for him to come over to her. "You there, get over here. This woman broke her hip. Help me take her to the infirmary." Jude numbly nodded, and made a make-shift stretcher, which several other people helped them to load her and take her away. "Thanks. What is your name? Are you Devoid or User?" 

Skulker/Jude cleared his throat. "My name is Jude. I am a Devoid. I abandoned Skulker's army, and wish to join the mighty Alice." He pulled out a sword, looking well used. "I am good with a real sword. The mystic power of the Orbs denied me." 

Alice nodded. "Maybe you can help us then. What is their leadership like? Are they all Devoids, or are there Users mixed in?" She led him to the room where the Elders gathered over musky scrolls. "Didn't I tell you, you dust-bags, that poring over the ancient scrolls will do us NO GOOD at all? Always before the battles were with other Users. Never before has a Devoid Army raised themselves up into a fervor like this, and I fear it is the fault of my sister and myself. We were too focused on power, and each other, to see other people." She sighed sadly. 

Skulker drew into himself. This was different. He did not expect this reversal. This might mess with his plans. An army raised by the cruel sisters, would fight out of fear, and fear was his weapon as much as theirs. An army raised on good will and faith, would be hard to sway away from them. "Their army is in disarray. That is all that I am able to say." Alice nodded her thanks. 

Skulker sank back into the sub-conscious and let Jude take over again. He pondered long and hard about how to change his strategy. Always before it was fear. He always planned that the army against him would be assembled by fear of recompense from the Sisters, so he was going to use that fear against them. However, if they TRULY changed, all of his plans were now moot. He needed something new. He felt his control over the body weaken. His time limit was nearly up. He took control of the body again and rushed out to the great hall where the cooks had set out the rushed order for food to be cooked for the hungry masses. He got into line, fighting hard to keep his mind and soul in the body. He got a plate and as soon as some food was put onto the plate, he shoved some of it into his mouth and swallowed, and then he let the dead body collapse in the line that had gathered to get food. That should spread SOME fear that the food was poisoned. He returned his mind and soul to his own body, and started new plans with his Generals. "Generals, their army has changed. Instead of gathering and fighting out of fear, they are joining forces out of kinship. They are going to be tougher. CHANGE THE STREGEGY!" He stormed from the war tent and to his own personal pavilion and collapsed on the bed, closed his eyes, and fell asleep, hoping to talk to Skellbar about what to do now. 

* * * * 

Jinta and Kayla, after some maneuvering in the night, reached the edge of the Bloody Desert, and let their camelopes back to roam freely. Jinta looked around, and spied an animal trail that led into Underpath. Kayla looked at Jinta questionably, but trusted him to keep them safe from harm. He took various animal trails until he found an area of the swamp that he recognized and within the next hour, they were at the High Elder's hut. He turned towards Kayla, and motioned for her to stay outside while he checked things out. He needn't have. The High Elder opened up the door. "Greetings Jinta, my apprentice. Greetings High Ruler Kayla, my beloved descendant." Jinta and Kayla turned towards each other, Jinta in amusement of the prowess of the High Elder of knowing that they were there, and Kayla in shock at the phrase, "beloved descendant". 

"Well old man, you made our progress here rather easy, did you not feel up to setting up traps this time, or what?" The High Elder just merely smiled, and stood aside so that Jinta and Kayla can enter his hut. He sat down at the table while Jinta put on a kettle of hot water, knowing the ritual. Kayla found a spot to sit down at the table and waited for introductions to be made. 

The High Elder turned towards Kayla, and smiled. "I know that this must be tough on you, and just to make things simple, I shall call you daughter, even though there should be many Greats in front of it. All of the Twins are descendants of my withered loins. I am not sure why, but those have been the cases this far." Jinta sat down at the table next to Kayla. "I am sure that you have felt an...unusual attraction towards Jinta here, haven't you?" She nodded shyly, barely moving her head, but the blush that spread across her face told the story. The High Elder could feel the heat from her blush on his ashen skin. "Then this must be the time that Mother Tiaku told me when I first made the pact. She told me that there would be one generation of Twins that would find love. Every other set of Twins were cooped up in the castle, and were segregated from the general populous outside, at least alone, without the corrupt council being present. However, you Kayla, have broken the cycle. The council basically ruled through the other twins, using them as puppets for power. I shudder to think what you and your sister have gone through. That does remind me, I do have to apologize for the deaths of the army that intruded into Underpath. I had to make sure that Jinta here got into Bloody Desert so that he can find the Final Piece. Did you two find it? Please tell me you did." 

Jinta sighed. "No and Yes. No in that the Final Piece was taken before we got there. Yes, in that there was a Shard that broke apart from the rest of the Final Piece. I am not sure who could have gotten to the final piece before us, but whoever did, does not have the entire piece with them at all." 

The High Elder nodded his head glumly. "This does not bode all that well. I am glad that you have the Shard, but whoever has the Final Piece, might still claim the prize." 

Kayla cleared her throat. "That is not so High Elder, as I am the High Ruler. I can deny the owner of the Final Piece his wish, as he does not have the whole Piece." 

The Elder shook his head, "With your relationship with Jinta, he might claim that you took a shard off of the mostly completed Orb of Peace, so that you can grant your beloved HIS wish, instead of whoever has the Final Piece. You still have to wrest control of the Final Piece from the hands of whoever has it, if they are evil, and I do believe that person is evil. I can feel the hand of Skellbar is acting against us. Mother Tiaku and Father Azuramum are helpless against their son, as I am helpless to do more to guide you both to the path that will save Tiaku. I am ancient beyond words. I, who activated the Orb of Peace, I, who made peace with Mother Tiaku to save Her realm, I, the ancestor of the High Ones, I, who battled Skellbar and barely won, shall soon be gone from this realm. Jinta, I task you with activating the Orb of Peace, and quickly. I do not think that I shall last long enough. Give me your hand." 

Glumly, Jinta placed his hands within the clammy wrinkled hands of his mentor. The High Elder sighed, and began humming a harsh note, and that harsh humming turned into a guttural growl, which then turned into a guttural groan. His hands glowed with Power, and that glow spread across his body. Jinta held on tightly, as if his grip could prevent his mentor from dying. The glow shifted color, and then gathered back into his hands, which oozed from the Elders hands, to Jinta's hands, spreading across his body, filling it with power and knowledge. Jinta closed his eyes, and concentrated on staying conscious, his mind battered from all sides, inside and outside, with knowledge that he should not know, that nobody should know. 

After what seemed an eternity, an eternities worth of knowledge was crammed into Jinta's frail mind. The High Elder sighed his final breath, as Jinta sighed having held his breath for this process unconsciously, and then passed out, draping his powerful frame over the miniscule frail frame of his mentor. Kayla stood by, blinking numbly at what happened, and then shrieked a piercing note that caused all of the animals of the Underpath to flee in fright, even the bravest and most cruel of creatures fled from their hiding places. All of the animals were skittish to begin with, sensing that their protector, and friend, has passed from this world, to the world of the dead. After the final echo of the shriek faded away, the animals joined their voices together in their own ceremony for the passing of the High Elder, the protector and friend that was there for many generations. He never interrupted the natural cycle of life and death, but the predators did, out of respect, not eat the animals that seemed to be the most helpful to the High Elder. After about 10 minutes of communal mourning for the passing of the High Elder, slowly, the animals went back to their normal activities, however, a lot more solemn than normal. Even the plants of the Underpath seemed to be affected by the passing of the High Elder, with most of their foliage withering and falling, coating the Underpath in an ocean of dead leaves and flowers, as if covering a gravemarker.

Chapter 5

Alice rushed out of the war room and to the great hall to the shrieks coming from the Great Hall, fighting the crowds rushing out like the roll tide. Her temper snapped and she bellowed to clear a line that echoed throughout the entire castle. The crowd parted so that she could walk into the Hall. She knelt down next to the corpse, recognizing it as Jude, the one that fled from the opposing army. Medics arrived moments afterwards with their healing Orbs. She waved off their efforts, recognizing already that the body was long since dead. "Divination Orb now!" One was handed over to her and she activated it, and the Symbol of the Dark Orbs appeared in the air over the body. "I KNEW IT! WE HAVE BEEN INFILTRATED ALREADY?!?" She started to curse up a storm that made a lot of the weaker stomachs start to churn up some bile, and caused a lot of the innocent maidens to flee with their faces changing from pale to dark and back to pale. Even some of the most hardened soldiers went dark with embarrassment. Most of the people had fled by the time she was finished with her cursing rant. "Cursed Dark Orbs, how many more infiltrators are there?!?" She took that Divination Orb and held it before each officer to verify that they are themselves, and not a hostile member in disguise. 

Filled with disgust, she had the body taken to the incinerator to be burned, and then tromped off to her bedroom, where she undressed and slipped into the tub, scrubbing her body until her skin got too raw, and started to bleed in several places. Her handmaidens had to stop her at this task, weighing the risk between her wrath and her health. Then, suddenly, the High Knight, who has shared only emotions of wrath, hatred, and lust for battle, broke down sobbing, inconsolable. She missed her sister. She missed her partner. She missed the part of her that kept her somewhat human. The maids backed out of the room, swearing secrecy to this sight before them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76.7K 7.7K 14
48.5K 740 25
385 4 21