Just Neighbors

By Miss_NaluShipper

Introducing A NaLu Fanfiction: Two teenagers, girl and boy, both happen to be neighbors from across the stree... More

Description
Prologue
Chapter One: That Bright Star
Chapter Two: Happiness
Chapter Three: Melodies
Chapter Four: Fathers and Mothers
Chapter Five: Falling For You
Chapter Six: Love&Lucky Café
Chapter Seven: Growing Closer
Chapter Eight: Broken Memories
Chapter Ten: Remember Me
Chapter Eleven: The Little Spoon
Chapter Twelve: Here Comes Forever
Chapter Thirteen: Learning From Her

Chapter Nine: Friends Got Your Back

1K 54 38
By Miss_NaluShipper

♫ Friends Got Your Back ♫

Natsu stares at the ceiling in disbelief from yesterday. He tried visiting Lucy this morning, but Jude said she went to the park to practice her kicks. Natsu knew Lucy was trying to get her mind off of what happened yesterday—or more like trying to let her anger out on her soccer ball. At least he knows she isn't as reckless as he is when something angers him.

Natsu sighed frustratedly and placed his forearm over his eyes. He felt like a terrible boyfriend for just sitting there on his bed, thinking about things that aren't even solving anything; thinking about what Lucy is doing at the moment is not solving anything at all. He began telling himself that perhaps he should just go find Lucy and cheer her up.

He sat up from his reclined position, sitting upright on the edge of his bed. He grabbed his white socks that lay upon his headboard. He looked at himself in the mirror forgetting that all he was wearing was boxers. He laughed at himself and searched in his closet for a tee shirt. He picked up an orange tee shirt with black graphics on it.

He shrugged and just wore it. He ducked his below his hung hoodies and shirts looking for a pair of pants, but all he found was forest green cargo pants. He sniffed it, just in case it didn't smell. It sort of reeked from the B.O. of his gym clothes, but he slipped them on, not caring if it smelled.

He then stood back up, searching frantically through his hangers of hoodies. To be very honest to himself, he had a obsession with hoodies. But he wasn't the only one who was; Lucy had a bunch of hoodies, too.

Finally picking out a plain navy blue hoodie with a white Fairy Tail Academy's insignia on the corner of the front of the hoodie. He slipped over his head and looked at himself in the mirror. He smirked and grabbed his phone, scrolling through his notifications. A few text messages here and there, but there was no point in replying back. His top priority is to find Lucy.

He unlocked his phone and opened the weather app. He pressed on Magnolia, Earthland as it read it was 54 degrees Fahrenheit out. He sighed and reached over to grab his gray-scaled scarf that was on top of his nightstand. He wrapped it around his neck and rushed downstairs.

He ran to one of his kitchen drawers where he mostly kept his snacks when he was running late to school. He grabbed a king sized energy bar and shoved it in the pockets of his cargo pants. He grabbed his house keys that laid in the middle of his kitchen table and grabbed his wallet that sat next to it.

Shoving them both on the other sides of his pockets, he shuffled hurriedly to his shoe rack, grabbing a random pair of sneakers and just slipped them on his feet with no care, because all he cared about was Lucy.

He opened his door, looking down to see a bunch of mail on his door mat. He picked them up, placing them on the floor of his house, not having the time to read them all. He closed his door, locking it shut and proceeded to find Lucy. He then realized that he doesn't know which park Lucy ran off to. His guess was the park when they watched the sunset, but he had to confirm it with Jude.

He crossed the street after looking left and right for cars. He rung the doorbell and waited for a response. He heard shuffling behind the door and the sound of the lock clicking to unlock. The door knob twisted as the door pulled towards Jude, who wore his normal green apron, ready to go to work probably.

"Oh, hello again, Natsu." Jude smiled. Natsu nodded and waved.

"What brings you here again?" Jude quirked his head to the side. Natsu scratched his cheekbone, nervously laughing.

"Well—"

"Don't tell me you came to help me out at the shop?" Jude crept a smile as Natsu slightly stepped back and just nodded his head.

"Oh, uh, well, not exactly." Natsu cleared his thrust awkwardly.

"Oh, I was just kidding. No one wants to work." Jude slapped his back harshly, almost making Natsu fall a bit. Natsu chuckled at his joke and just smiled.

"Ah, well why're you hear then?"

"Well, do you happen to know which park Lucy could be at?" Natsu asked.

"She went to Crocus Park." Jude replied. Natsu widened his eyes, his lips forming a small smirk, happy of knowing that he was right about Lucy going to the same park.

"Oh, okay thanks. Guess I'll be off then." And before Natsu could talk another step to his journey of finding Lucy, he felt a light tug on his scarf. He looked over his shoulder to see Jude with a troubled face.

"Don't go." Jude halted. Natsu stared at him, confused at his words as he turned around fully.

"Why?"

"Natsu, you should know better than just going to find Lucy." Jude sadly frowned.

"Of course I know better! Can't you see Lucy isn't feeling alright?" Natsu argued, his fist clenching slightly. Jude knew about his anger issues so he tried not to egg him on.

"That's why. You can't go see her." Jude shook his head.

"What do you mean—"

"Natsu, I think it would be best if you gave her some alone time." Jude advised. Natsu then softened his gaze on Jude, and released his tightened fist. He stared down at the cobblestone path and started to feel something that he couldn't comprehend.

"Yeah, you're right. I guess I'll just go then." Natsu lifted his head up and saluted a sad smile. Jude nodded and head back into the house. Natsu stared intently at the porch bench, flashbacks of Lucy playing her guitar as his head laid peacefully on her shoulder, listening to soothing music of her strumming.

Natsu swiftly turned around and began to exit the front yard and decided to head to Crocus Park anyway. On his way to Crocus Park he started to decipher his sudden feeling from earlier with Jude. He tried replaying Jude's words, remembering that he should just leave her alone. Natsu then realized that he was feeling guilty.

Then he asked himself, But guilty for what?

He stopped walking, continuously staring at his sneakers. He fiddled with the trims of his energy bar wrapper, forgetting to eat it. He then started to think that maybe he was guilty of not being such a good boyfriend. Maybe he was guilty that he couldn't do anything to save her guitar from being destroyed. Maybe he was guilty that Lucy could be mad at him.

Half of him thinks she could or couldn't be mad at him, but he was mostly vulnerable of knowing that Lucy could possibly be mad at him. His conscious tells him that she couldn't be mad at him, reasoning that it wasn't his fault, which it wasn't his fault. But why was he so guilty?

He tried thinking of why he felt this way. He didn't do anything wrong, but his heart was churning with this dark, aching feeling inside him, like it was eating him slowly. He then tried going back to Jude's words again, trying to figure out why those exact words made him feel guilty.

...I think it would be best if you gave her some alone time...

Natsu jerked his head up to stare at the clouds. He let out an exhale of dismay, his cold, foggy breath coming to view. He turned around to walk the other way, reaching into his pockets to grab his energy bar. He peeled the wrapper and started to take bites of his snack. He then started to walk back to who knows where.

Finally realizing the true reason of why he felt like this. After all, Jude was right about giving her some space for now; he was only caring more about himself than caring about her.

"I guess I am a terrible boyfriend."

❖❖❖

Lucy walks into the team meeting room, wearing her jersey and her drawstring gym bag strapped behind her back. She sighed as she scrolled through her text messages, all from Natsu. She bit her lip, trying to suppress a giggle, loving how deeply worried and insanely protective Natsu could be, especially with her.

She kept walking through the quiet halls as all you could hear were her thumbs pattering against the screen and the sounds of keyboard clicking as she texted away. She sent he message, hoping he'd read it and wouldn't have to worry and bombard her with questions when they encounter each other later on. Though, either way, he'd still worry and bombard her with questions.

The message she sent read: I'm sorry about yesterday. I just felt out of it. But don't worry I'm fine. Right now I'm heading to my soccer meeting. But anyway, if you want to talk so badly, just meet me at 6:30 PM at the hill of Crocus Park.

Natsu then responded—surprisingly quick—that soon read: It's okay, Luce. :) I understand, you need your space. But why meet up so late? It'll nearly be nighttime.

Lucy suddenly felt like laughing, finding it funny how he'd only respond quickly to her text messages other than anyone else on his contact list. She smiled, glad he understood that she needed the space and decided to text back: Because my soccer meeting and practice ends at 5:50 PM so it'll probably take me ten minutes to meet up with you. Besides, I really want to meet up with you and just talk to you. And maybe smother you with kisses. ;)

Lucy laughed at her own taste of jokiness as she waited for Natsu to react: Luce, why do you make my heart feel so warm inside. >_<

Lucy blushed at his text and replied back: So it's a yes?

Natsu then responded within a second: Yes, most definitely. You're not the only one who's missing someone. I won't even care if I had to meet up with you at midnight or 4:00 in the morning. I just really want to see you right now.

Lucy looked up from her screen to see the sign on the door that read Team Meetings Only. She sighed, prepared for what Melissa had to say to her once she opened that door. She then ended the chat by saying: Okay, well I'm here at the Team Meeting Lounge, I should probably go, hopefully I won't die.

She looked at the door knob, hesitating on entering, but she had to attend to the meeting or else Melissa would kick her off the team—since she was captain of the team. Natsu then responded: Please don't die, and I love you xoxo.

Before Lucy could bid her farewells through text, she then heard someone clear their throat, grabbing her attention away from her phone screen. She looked to see her friend Dustin, staring down at her with a grin. Lucy turned off her phone, shoving it into the back of her drawstring bag.

"Hey, Dusty." She smiled. Dustin rolled his eyes and just lightly flicked her forearm.

"Don't ever call me that, Lucy-lu." Dustin emphasized his nickname for her. Lucy grunted and stepped foot as Dustin carefully stepped back, a threat in which it meant she was about to kick your shins. Dustin then shoved a bottle of Gatorade in front of her face, making her eyes soften. She gladly took his offer, uncapping the bottle and sipping it.

"I was about to kick you, but I guess I'll let it slide." Gesturing her shaking of the bottle. Dustin laughed as he took his bottle of Gatorade and drank along with her. He then reached to open the door knob, pushing it open as he motioned Lucy to enter first.

"Ladies first." Lucy snickered as Dustin scowled at her joke and just pushed her to go first, making her yelp in surprise. They looked around to see both the boys and girls soccer teams were chatting away, all in their jerseys as the captains sat in the front, talking to the school president, Erza.

Erza glanced at Lucy as Lucy avoided eye contact, knowing that Erza was going to ask her about what happened yesterday in further detail since she told her friends over the phone about what happened in a very brief description. Dustin noticed the confusing eye contact between them and nudged Lucy's shoulder.

"Is there something wrong?" Dustin asked. Lucy shook it off with a fake smile and just sat down on a seat in the back, confidently having an empty seat next to her for Dustin to sit.

"Nah, it's nothing for you to worry about." Lucy gave him a thumbs up.

"But—" And with that Lucy punched his cheek with her thumb still up, though her fist still in compacted. She shut her eyes as her vein popped out of her forehead.

"Don't make me make send my boyfriend to beat you up." Lucy muttered under her breath. With Dustin falling out of his chair, he laid aimless on the floor, as he raised a weak hand in the air, trying to form a thumbs up.

"You got it." He muffled weakly against the floor.

"Alright, listen up!" Erza yelled, as everyone ended their conversations and turned to face the front of the room.

"First and for most, I'd like to thank everyone for coming to this meeting." Erza nudged her glasses as everyone smiled in gratitude.

"I'm also thanking you guys for working your butt off at practice every week and I'm hoping you know that I really love to see that; don't think anyone is ignoring your efforts," Everyone cheered and clapped, a few whistles in the background, "Besides, Fairy Tail's sports teams are the strongest in this school district, I'm hoping we keep that reputation stable." The boys started to cheer and shout again as the girls yelled out comments of joy.

"Now, I'd like to make two announcements." Erza oddly stared at Lucy specifically, making Lucy slouch in her chair and cross her arms.

"The first announcement is that our next game is going to be after spring break, so please be prepared. The team that we will be opposing is Sabertooth. I'm hoping we could crush them just like we did with Blue Pegasus." Erza egged the teams with confidence in her tone as everyone nodded in agreement. Erza then looked at Melissa and Richard, placing her hands on both of their shoulders.

"Thanks to our wonderful team captains, I'm hoping they will train the best out of you guys." She nudged their shoulders as they laughed. She then removed her hand off of Richard's shoulder, however, her hand still remaining on Melissa's.

"My other announcement is about our wonderful captain, Melissa." Everyone clapped as she smiled egotistically as Lucy was the only one to roll her eyes.

"Melissa, I'd like to thank you for your hard work and contributions to the team. You created such a strong team and I'm very proud of you for that." Erza praised as Melissa muttered a thank you.

"However, my apologies for saying this," Erza squeezed Melissa's shoulder firmly, making her flinch, "But I'm demoting you as team captain." The boys gasped, however, the girls were strangely silent. Lucy widened her eyes, knowing that Erza would do something utterly crazy. She knows Erza is tying to be a good friend, but demoting Melissa is way too far.

"Wait, what?!" Melissa screeched, stepping away from Erza in shock, "You're joking right?"

"I'm sorry Melissa, but I've heard what you did yesterday and that is not how you treat a teammate. You treat them all like family." Erza warned with a stern look. Melissa gazed at Lucy with her peripheral vision, almost fuming.

"What are you talking about, I did nothing." Melissa snapped. Everyone became silent, knowing what Melissa did was a big mistake. Erza then removed her glasses off of her face, placing them on the pockets of her skirt.

"Listen, Melissa. I understand that you're not fond of this idea, but it's for the better. Besides your entire team thinks is for the best, as well. So maybe you should respect their decision on this matter and not complain about it." Erza glared at her with her piercing brown eyes.

"Even my teammates..." She muttered, "But how could they? You said I was the one who made the team stronger. Without me, how could they be strong?"

"That's right, but you see there is someone else in this team that most benefited everyone into improving with their skills." Erza smirked as she whipped her head to Lucy.

"Lucy Heartfilia." Erza boomed with pure triumphant. Lucy almost fell out of her seat. All the girls stood up from their seats, screaming and cheering as they clapped for her. The boys joined amongst them as Dustin started to laugh and started to lift her into the air with a bear hug.

"Why Lucy? Is this suppose to be a prank?" Melissa scoffed.

"Because Lucy is always encouraging everyone to try their hardest. That's why we decided that we needed someone who can always keep a high spirit at all times." A girl proclaimed.

"Yeah, and she's pretty much the heart of the team." Dustin commented as Lucy blushed at everyone who kept throwing flattering comments at her.

"You guys." Lucy whispered, her cheeks hurting from so much smiling.

"From now on and forth, Lucy is going to be the new captain!" Erza pumped her fist in the air as everyone rooted in approval. A few girls began to push Lucy to the front of the room, as Erza patted her back, although, it was a harsh pat.

"Nice to see you smile, Captain Lucy." Erza winked. Lucy fist bumped Erza and laughed. She then reached over the table behind them to give Lucy her new jersey. It was green, with the same number—14. Lucy carefully grabbed it and staring at the new color of her jersey. She flicked her head back at Erza and everyone else, who all seemed so proud of her. After all they all thought she deserved it since she dedicated herself to the team.

"Thank you so much everyone. I truly mean it to the bottom of my heart." Lucy placed a fist on her chest.

"We should be thanking you. You're the one who's done so much for the team." A girl said.

"That's right. I think we all should celebrate after our upcoming game. Even if we lose our win, we'll still be celebrating the win of a new team captain." Richard joined in the outburst. Lucy giggled as she high-fived Richard. The meeting then ended with everyone hugging and congratulating Lucy on her new position of the team.

After few hours of practice with everyone, it was finally 5:50 PM. Lucy took a quick shower at the girl's locker room, making sure Natsu wouldn't laugh at her for reeking after practice. Lucy grabbed another bottle of Gatorade, chugging it all down as she jogged her way to Crocus Park.

She finished the bottle, but realized that there weren't any recycling bins anywhere. She tried stuffing the bottle in her gym bag, but realized it was packed with her clothes and her soccer ball; she didn't want to carry something that's already been heavyweight . She sighed and just gave up, throwing the bottle in the trash can. She cringed, knowing she'll regret doing that later on.

She looked up to see the streetlights turn on as it illuminated under the starry night sky. Lucy reverently grinned at the sky while trying to tighten her side ponytail. She realized a few of her bangs were loose from the ponytail but she liked the look anyway. Trying to hurry herself to the park, knowing that Natsu would probably be there first.

Finally being under the entrance arch, the metal letters reading Crocus Park on the arch. She huffed as she walked into the area, examining joggers here and there and some people leaving the park since it was dark out. Lucy looked around for that one hill Natsu and her sat on when they watched the sunset.

She saw a human figure standing there, his hands on his pockets as he stared up at the sky, the moonlight brightening his features and his salmon hair. She shook her head and smiled, admiring the view of her handsome boyfriend. She slowly walked towards him, her cleats getting more dirtier from being near grass again, but she didn't care.

She noticed a giant box next to his feet, which made her question it. Natsu felt Lucy's presence creeping closer to him, his heart racing to a pace that's always been fast whenever he was with her. He slowly turned his head to face her, seeing her stand there quietly with a beautiful smile that always took his breath away.

He loved how messy her side ponytail was, with her bangs framing her angelic face, and how she always looked perfect even when her flaws were shown. He watched her eyes glisten underneath the star's sparkling light as a gush of wind blew past by. Sounds of crickets chirping an irrelevant tune as he watched her strawberry lips slowly part to form words.

Her pearly whites flashed at him as her eyes twinkled with joy, "Hey, did you miss me?"

Find out what happens next on the next chapter, Chapter Ten: Remember Me

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17K 609 40
[Completed] ✓ Lucy grew up loved dearly by not only her parents, but the entire kingdom of Fiore. Her mother, the queen, was close friends with the D...
123K 2.6K 20
Natsu and Lucy got arrested by the magic council, and tortured. How far will Natsu go to save Lucy? How will their relation turn out after this? Will...
166K 6.1K 31
Lucy is visited by an old childhood friend, and he gets...friendly with Lucy. Natsu suspects something's up, although the blonde Mage wouldn't listen...
726 90 7
Celebrities Lucy Heartfilia and Natsu Dragneel cross paths at a luxurious island resort. They spend the entire evening together, followed by a passio...