Where It Began | ✓

By thyselves

Scott Akers and Camille West crossed paths in a flower shop, and that's where it all began. [complete] More

extended summary
cast list
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
16
17
18
19
epilogue
bonus • 1
bonus • 2

15

3.7K 238 128
By thyselves

15

     SCOTT AKERS WAKES up with the realization that today is his high school graduation. He sighs, running his hand over his tired face and feeling the cool metal of his lip ring as he passes over it. For some reason, he just feels exhausted and overwhelmed, and the day hasn't even started yet, especially with the sun still below the horizon. Scott just sits in bed for a moment or two longer, looking out of the window with bleary green eyes before pushing off his blanket to stand up and stretch his limbs. He sifts through his messy dark hair as he does so, trying to get rid of his sluggishness. It doesn't go away.

The bedroom door suddenly opens, and Scott doesn't even have the chance to blink as his father walks through the door. Hell, Scott doesn't even care that he's only wearing plaid boxers and socks in front of his dad. He just wants to understand how the hell his father knew exactly when to come in and give him some life-changing advice.

"Put some clothes on, my boy," Benjamin says with his warm, familiar tone, "We're gonna go watch the sunrise while you're still a high schooler, and I'm still young."

"Mom's not gonna join us?"

     "Not today, son. It's been a while since it was just the two of us."

     Scott picks up a random shirt from the ground and a pair of sweatpants, managing to pull them on without stumbling around like a total idiot. Once again, he goes out pretty much raw and punk-less, aside from his lip ring and his tattoos that peak out from under his shirt. It doesn't matter, however, because no one should look presentable right before dawn. With that humorous thought in his mind, Scott follows after his dad with a light tilt of his lips, the sleepiness slowly ebbing away with each step he takes.

     They both climb over that stupid gate, which doesn't cover the entire stairwell. Benjamin is a little sloppy and almost trips as he jumps back to the ground. Scott cheekily grins at his dad and pulls himself over the gate, pleased that he didn't mess up and make a total fool of himself by trying to act cocky. Benjamin simply ruffles his son's hair. They then prop the door open, knowing that if it shut behind them, they're absolutely done for. Well, not really. Scott's mom will eventually come to their rescue, but then she'll probably kill them for being careless idiots.

     The father and son sit on the ledge.

      There's a silence that lingers between them, and it doesn't break until Scott finds the strength to say, "Graduation. One of the scariest or most exciting day of our lives. It's the day that marks the end of high school and starts just about everything else."

     "How do you feel about it, Scott?"

     "It's just weird," he lets out a sigh, pushing back his hair, "I don't know."

     "Well, it will be," Benjamin says, "You can't always be prepared for life."

     "It's just-- I'm finally moving forward, you know? I feel like I've had this safety net for the longest time, no matter how much I hated it, and now I'm just going to start college, find a job, and eventually have a family. I know it's still a long way to go, but... still."

     "It's okay to be scared of the future, seriously. I wish I had the answer for you and take away all your anxieties. I wish I could lead you towards the right direction because you're my som, but I can only offer the comfort that you're not alone, buddy," his dad says, glancing at Scott from the corner of his eye, "Everyone goes through this crisis at least once in their life. However, from the looks of it, your life seems to be working well."

     "Yeah, you're right," Scott agrees, "I have you and Mom, a wonderful girlfriend that I'm going to see in a couple hours, a job, great friends. I'm okay now, and that's all that matters."

      Miraculously, the end of the conversation begins with the sun rising. It's the first thing to pierce the darkness -- simply a torch of a new day. At first, it doesn't seem like anything special, but then there's this small warm, rosy glow. There's this moment -- a pause -- before it rises up, spilling its golden light on the streets, buildings and the people. It's waking up the city that never sleeps, and that's magnificent all in itself.

     "I never told you something," Benjamin mentions.

     "Hmm?"

     "Everything the light touches is our kingdom."

     Scott groans, although light-heartedly, and rolls his eyes. His father just laughs at him. And the both of them continue staring out at the horizon until it's time for Scott to get ready.

❀❀❀

     IN SEVERAL MOMENTS, Scott will officially be a high school graduate. He's okay with that fact now, but there's still some attributing factors that he missed. His hair is messily tucked under his blue cap in a last minute sort of way, his tie of his suit is practically choking him, he can barely sit still, and Camille is sitting no where near him. There's also the fact that he's one of the first people to go up when it's time to accept his degree. No big deal. Scott can totally handle this.

     He probably can't, just saying.

He covers up a yawn as some important person drones on and on about how much they grew as people or some shit like that. It's probably encouraging to a lot of people sitting amongst him, but Scott could honestly care less. He just wants to get his fake piece of paper and then leave as quickly as possible. This whole graduation ceremony is already dragging on for way too long, and that thought causes the punk to shift impatiently in his seat once again. Thankfully, the people next to him don't say anything about his relentless moving.

     He discreetly looks back at his girlfriend, who he immediately catches sight of. Her reddish-hair is straightened and neatly topped off with her graduation cap, and her makeup is light and natural. Camille catches his quick glance and raises an eyebrow, a little smile tugging at her lips.

He smirks.

At last, the time to call up the graduating students has finally arrived. Four other people are called before Scott, and when it's his turn, he swears he can hear his parents and friends from Permanent Records and girlfriend roar as he walks across the stage. He sarcastically tips his hat before shaking the principal's hand and taking the paper. When it's Camille West's turn, he feels a surging sense of pride take over his senses. And although Scott usually keeps to himself, he fucking hollers at the sound of his girlfriend's name, not giving a shit about what anyone else thinks.

The names finish off, and with one last sentimental smile, the principal says, "Graduates, you may now turn your tassel from the right to the left. Life moves on, and we should move with it."

Scott moves his tassel with a deep breath, wondering how the hell he conquered this stage of his life. Then, the best and most ceremonial part of the graduation, in his opinion, is when they throw their caps up into the air. It's definitely a moment someone can capture just by memory, and it's a beautiful one at that.

     After he finds his cap, he goes looking for Camille. She smiles brightly and steps forward to pull him into a warm hug. Her arms wrap are placed behind his neck, and his are around her waist, tugging his girlfriend closer. Scott's so caught up in their embrace and how she smells like hazelnut, that he fails to notice his parents and friends engulf the two of them into a huge group hug. They're all congratulating them, and fuck, Scott has never felt so content with anything before.

__________________________

THERE WE GO! UPDATE YEYYYYY. MIGHT POST ABOUT AXEL TODAY, TOO. SO STAY TUNED!

LOVE YOU ALL!

•vote•comment•follow•

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.6K 328 23
Y/N went to the same coffee shop every day before work, little did she know that she would bump into someone who would change her whole perception in...
46.8K 2.9K 24
When Logan, a florist with a PhD in botany, decides to hire someone to work the counter in his flower shop, he assumed it would be no big deal. He wo...
3K 232 26
Jongdae works at a flower shop. Minseok wants to buy a flower for his apartment, but the young man with the dazzling smile picks his interest quicker...
1.3K 44 8
Someone once told me that the type of coffee a person drinks is reflective of their personality. Caitlyn tries to find out why her friends drink the...