๐–ฑ๐–ง๐–ธ๐–ณ๐–ง๐–ฌ ๐–ฎ๐–ฅ ๐–ฅ๐– ๐–ณ๐–ค (๏ฟฝ...

By TheWaystone

ใ€Œ๐– ๐—‹๐— on the cover ๐–ป๐—’ - @๐–ฌ๐–พ๐–พ๐–ฝ๐–บ_ ๐—ˆ๐—‡ ๐–ณ๐—๐—‚๐—๐—๐–พ๐—‹ (the girl)ใ€ า“แด€แด›แด‡ สœแด€s แด€สŸแดกแด€สs ส™แด‡แด‡ษด แด€ แด„ส€แดœแด‡สŸ แดษชsแด›ส€... More

PREFACE
Prologue; The boy at the Tavern
A X Newborn X Legend
Sharing X an X Adventure
Noticing X old X Aquantances
You can't X have him X Mister Clown
Never x Underestimate x People
Never X Underestimate x People pt. 2
Dreaming X Of X Death
Dont X Trust Us X Please
Breathing For X The X First Time
Confrontation X Equals X Freedom
Worlds X and ambitions X Apart
Trying X to X Bond
The X Cruel Mistress X Fate ((also known as The X Final X Phase))
After X The X Exam
The X Zoldyck X Family ((also the first truely rushed chapter of the book))
My X Name X Is
An X Unexpected X Phone Call
A lesson X and X A Departure
When you X Learn to See
Principles X of X Nen
Similar X Differences
Kurapika's X Eighteenth X Birthday
Games X of our X Youth
Fixing X it
Interlude: Cerise
~*Baruilism*~
Fear X of X Mirrored X Wings
Joy X Tears X Lies
Goya
Nice X To see you X Again
Beitacle X Hotel*
A X Fuzzy X Feeling*
Burning X A X Bridge*
Ta X Na X Kh (Unedited)

Meeting X A X Monster

3.3K 181 97
By TheWaystone

ᴡᴇ ʙᴏᴛʜ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ɪ ᴄᴀɴ sᴇᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ɢʜᴏsᴛs

ᴡᴇ ʙᴏᴛʜ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴡᴇ'ᴠᴇ ʟᴏsᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏsᴛ

ᴄʜɪʟᴅ-ʟɪᴋᴇ ғᴇᴀʀ, ᴀ sɪʟᴇɴᴛ ᴘʟᴇᴀ

ʏᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴊᴜsᴛ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴍᴇ

ʏᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴊᴜsᴛ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴍᴇ.

ᴍᴏɴsᴛᴇʀ.
ᴘ #1-

My Elders have taught me wise sayings, but one stood out from the rest.

In all circles of life, you will find monsters seeking their kin. They rarely find each other, for they have mastered the art of appearing human.

It's no wonder the tourists avoid our refined Taigh gliocas.

Who involves learning and self-reflection in their vacations? Hearing adverse words like these isn't desirable. Mankind has and will always grudge against Truth. We are a prideful race; we would rather pitch fits and become obstinate to support our pride.

Would you want to know about the monsters of our world, hidden beneath flesh to fester and ache? Would you want to admit you're wrong?

"Let the monsters wander!" A tourist might scoff. "Why would you want them to meet, they would cause destruction!"

But really, who are they to judge? Ask how a monster is created. They are ugly souls, the pinnacle of fear, spite and deplorable thoughts. Retribution and domination is their aim. That's what a monster is.

Or, perhaps not? Maybe a monster is a person scooped of their light, mutilated and neglected. In desperation, they seek comfort, only to be met with onslaughts of hatred and malevolence by the ones who used them. So they search for their kind while hiding in shame, hoping to be accepted.

Stop cowering. Tell me the truth.

Who are the real monsters?

-----------------------------------

"I am Satotz, The Phase One Examiner. You must follow me to Phase Two; this is The Exam's First Phase."

The 406 Exam Takers packed together like sardines, following a purple-haired man down the tunnel. Because of their late entrance, Ayano could not see their Examiner's face. Gon later informed her that the man was mouth-less.

They raced after Satotz. The Exam Takers bumped and jostled as they crowded together. This stimulated tension. Pushing together, knowing that you were taking an Exam that could kill you, and being uncertain about your destination created an agitated atmosphere.

The smell of sweat and body odor did not help.

This filled their heads as they ran. It was dreadfully monotonous. To entertain herself, Ayano pretended the sounds were orchestral: the footfalls were percussion, the heavy breathing were woodwinds.

She hummed vaguely to herself, and the people nearby shifted away uneasily.

Two hours.

Two hours of running and they had only gained thirty kilometers. Several had already dropped out, their chests throbbing for air. Some found their failure amusing, though Ayano did not. The Hunter's Exam wasn't meant for wannabes or the faint of heart, yet she couldn't fault the dreamers for hoping.

No one knew how long they had to run. It was tense, difficult, and uncomfortable. Ayano concluded that this was, indeed, an endurance test.

Along the way, she somehow found herself running alongside Gon, the boy she'd met. Their footfalls synced. Gon side-glanced, his brown eyes shining. He seemed to be enjoying the run and Ayano found this strangely encouraging. Though they kept quiet to save their breath, a light-hearted atmosphere filled the silence between them.

That is, until a shrill sound broke it.

"Hey! Wait up, kid!" Leorio's voice cracked with rage. Heads turned and eye rolls were exchanged as people tried to ignore him. "You should show The Hunter Exam some respect!" He ranted.

Ayano looked up to see Leorio in front of them, but she turned away hastily. She didn't want to see what that embarrassing man was up to.

"Hm, what do you mean?" A boy's voice quipped. His tone was innocent, almost vacant-sounding.

"Why are you using a skateboard?!" Leorio continued. "That's CHEATING!"

"Why is it cheating?" The boy's tone lilted, all the more vacant sounding.

"Why you...this is an Endurance Test!" Leorio's voice deepened. Ayano felt that the owner of the skateboard was pushing it. But oddly enough, the boy didn't sound fazed.

Suddenly, Gon piped up. "No, it isn't!" He said this as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. The girl glanced at him, brows furrowed. She was certain that Gon was incorrect. After all, they were running for a duration of time.

Running plus time equals endurance, yes?

Leorio seemed just as baffled. He tripped over. "Huh?! Gon, what are you trying to say?!" The man had worked himself up to the point where spittle began to fly from his mouth.

Gon eyes blinked. "The Examiner only told us to follow him." He explained.

Leorio's eyes, however, bugged out of his head. A vein throbbed along his temple. "WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON, EH?!" He screeched.

What a child. Even Ayano's sister Mai, the spoiled brat of her family, wasn't as bad as this.

Wheels against gravel caught their attention. Ayano lifted her gaze came face-to-face with a pair of eyes. They were drops of ocean blue, sharp and cat-like. Their eye-shape was a cousin of her own, though they held the innocence of a child. This blue pair of eyes was framed by messy cotton hair.

Ayano uttered a curious noise, but the eyes barely regarded her. They turned to Gon.

The world collected its breath.

Two souls exhaled, quivering as they observed eachother.

Ayano glanced at the boy and Gon. What was this? Two puzzle pieces had snapped together before her. It was clear now; these two were destined to meet.

"Hey, how old are you?"

"I'm twelve years old!"

The new boy hummed, his ocean blue's fluttering thoughtfully. He seemed to be thinking hard about this information, and Gon offered one of his smiles.

It was like a patch of sunlight on a winters day.

The boy's persona changed. Instead of vacant innocence, confidence appeared. Carelessly sighing, he flipped his skateboard and landed hard, catching the board in one hand. "Guess I'll run too." He replied with an air of indifference.

Gon gasped with delight, his eyes glowing. "Wow, that was so cool!"

The boy didn't respond to the compliment. "I'm Killua." He introduced.

"I'm Gon!"

Their footfalls synced. And suddenly, Ayano felt a barrier enclose the space between them. It was so abrupt that her heart constricted. What was this?

Don't be foolish; these two will move mountains together. But I'm afraid you can't have that. They were meant to be friends.

A sigh escaped her. The world had stopped just for them. She wasn't going to ruin the rhythm of Fate.

And so, Ayano turned to observe this new boy.

Killua was the same height as Gon and probably the same age. But, they were complete opposites; while Gon reminded Ayano of her lucid sun-kissed Un Valley, Killua was the frigid Kōri Island's of the south.

Killua had snowy-down locks, paper-pale skin, and ocean eyes. He was lean and thin, a child built with a bounce and grace of a gazelle. He donned a cobalt turtleneck with a white t-shirt over it. Periwinkle shorts billowed around his thighs as he ran, his maroon boots clicking against the ground.

Killua must have felt her gaze because he turned. Their eyes met; opal white and icy blue.

A strange feeling engulfed them.

The world shuddered.

They two children's eyes widened so much they practically popped from their heads. Ayano felt repulsion and attraction throb between them like a pair of double-sided magnets; a thin line vibrating from one to the other like a guitar string.

The sound was lonely and spiteful, but it came from both ends.

They stared. Calculating, assessing the risks, wondering if it was worth it to flip the switch. But the connection didn't waver.

Both children knew. They were the same.

Hello?

Ayano's opal eyes seemed to say.

Hello.

His blues fluttered back.

Killua's eyes returned to their normal size, but curiosity filled them. "Hey, who's the girl?"

Gon seemed surprised by the question but was happy to oblige. "That's Ayano! She uses big words and has super cool hearing." He introduced.

Killua hummed once more, but continued to stare at her. Ayano returned his gaze.

It's worth the risk.

Monster?

His eyes burned.

Monster.

Her gaze confirmed.

So the two monsters took off their masks and introduced themselves.

"Hi, I'm Killua." He said, holding out a hand.

Ayano took it firmly and shook it. "Pleasure is all mine. I'm Ayano."

Gon watched them with warm eyes. Their interaction seemed to make him happy.

"How old are you?"

"Fourteen."

"Oh. Really?"

"Yes."

"Like a big sister! Right, Ayano?"

"Whuh, w-where did big sister come from?"

"I don't need another sibling; I've got plenty back at home."

Two more hours passed but they hardly noticed. They had traveled around sixty kilometers.

The trio stayed in rhythm, small talk occupying them. Tension had subsided now, but the mental strain was kicking in. Earlier they passed several men mumbling to themselves on the ground.

Suddenly Gon slowed. Both Killua and Ayano glanced at him as he stopped and turned around. The blue-eyed boy stopped too and she obliged as well. The trio stared at where Gon had looked, which just so happened to be Leorio gasping like a fish out of water.

Was it just her, or did he seem more like a monkey?

"Hey, forget him," Killua scoffed. He looked ready to move on but wanted Gon to accompany him. "Let's get going."

"Wait," Ayano said. The tone of her voice made the white-haired boy glance at her. Gon continued to stare at Leorio patiently. Slowly, ever so slowly, the man gained his breath. He was sweating like a pig. But, he seemed more energized.

"Screw this. . ." He croaked. The trio blinked; Gon with his vacant stare, Killua with his skeptical frown and Ayano with her bored huff.

Leorio bolted. His legs and arms moving at top speed, his teeth clenched, and his eyes bugging in a ridiculous manner. Ayano couldn't help exhaling in amusement as he raced towards them.

"IM GONNA BECOME A HUNTER!" He bellowed. "DAMN IT ALLLLLLLL!"

Dust came from his shoes as he raced past. The wind tossed the trio's hair as Leorio ran hectically towards the front.

Gon's face burst into a grin. Ayano felt her face itching to break into a smile, something that was new to her. But none-the-less they watched him run with the biggest, silliest smiles. Wielding his fishing rod like a samurai warrior, the brown-eyed boy launched it to Leorio's suitcase on the ground. It hooked and came whizzing through the darkness towards them.

Both Ayano and Killua watched awe-struck as Gon caught it with one hand.

"Cool!" They said at the same time.

They took off after Leorio, eyes bright and optimistic. "Let me try that later!" Killua said.

Gon laughed again. "Only if you let me try your skateboard, ok?"

It wasn't long before they reached the stairs. Without missing a beat, they tackled the steps. Everyone had reached the eighty-kilometer mark.

Suddenly, the people in front began to groan. Ayano craned her neck to see the distant figure of Satotz leaping up the stairs. The Exam Takers started to complain. "This is ridiculous!" One of them whined.

"Gon, wanna race to see who finishes first?" Killua asked the boy next to him. He didn't seem to be fazed that the pace was picking up. In fact, none of them were too worried.

"Sure!" Gon said, then glanced at the girl. "Can Ayano join too?"

Killua snorted. "Why would we leave her out? Oi, Ayano. You wanna join?"

It was silly, but the girl appreciated their inclusion. "I'm game." She replied.

"Loser gets to buy dinner!" Gon exclaimed.

"Okay, you're on!" The other children jeered.

"Ready, GO!"

Ayano felt a powerful enthusiasm. It overwhelmed her to move her legs faster. Both Gon and Killua watched dumbly as she sprinted up the stairs, hair whipping behind her. Killua's dumb expression turned into a grin. He glanced at Gon, who giggled and nodded.

"Alright!" They yelled as they raced ahead. It was time to give it their all!

Ayano finally reached the majority of runners. As she hurled up the stairs, she bumped into Leorio and Kurapika. Her mouth opened to formally greet them when a horrible sight stopped her.

Leorio was shirtless, his tie swinging hectically around his neck. Sweat poured from his face as he ran purposefully up the stairs. Ayano reeled. "Goodness, don't be indecent." She scolded. "Nobody wants to see that!"

Her outburst surprised Kurapika, but Leorio turned. His eyes bulged dramatically as spit flew from his mouth. "Shut it, kickstand!" He bellowed. "I'm going to pass this Exam, even if my dignity is smashed to pieces!"

Forgetting who she was, Ayano began to boss him. "Oh stop, it's not something anyone wants to see, and you should be more courteous!" She covered her face with her hands. "I can't bear to look."

Leorio stuttered. "Don't--don't say that! I'm not ugly, you know. You're really mean!"

"Oh, I do apologize," Ayano huffed. "You're not ugly. You're just a visual assault."

"Shut up!" He fumed, ignoring the turned heads. "At least I don't look like some homeless, gender-bent tiny Tim!"

Ayano stuttered, feeling her cheeks burn.

"Ho-homeless?" She stuttered. "Listen here, you. It's not my fault that you're not in physical shape to attempt this Exam." The girl attempted to fight the blush. She always felt embarrassed when people spoke of her appearance.

"Shape? Shape?!" Leorio's voice cracked. "I'M IN PERFECT SHAPE. IM ATTRACTIVE."

Ayano choked on spit. Both Kurapika and Leorio stared as she coughed, clutching her stomach for support. "Oh dear." She wheezed. "Should I continue? Or give you a mirror?"

Kurapika jumped in. "Do not bother with it. His reflection would fracture the thing." Steam exited Leorio's ears while he stumbled over his words, and the blond and Ayano exchanged amused glances. Looks like they had something in common; quick wit.

"Whatever. You're too young to be interested in older men, let alone physical appearance! How would you know what's attractive?" Leorio grumbled. "I'm running ahead. I can complete this Exam if I don't care what I look like!"Huffing and puffing, Leorio sprinted ahead. Kurapika watched him go with a curious smile on his face.

Without warning, the blond began stripping. Ayano's mouth dropped in shock until his eyes met hers.

"There is nothing to worry about, Ayano-chan." He told her. "I am wearing a body suit underneath. No need to panic." The girl closed her mouth shyly. It was a silly reaction, and now she felt embarrassed.

Kurapika nodded before looking after his friend. "Now, if you will excuse me. I have to ask him a question about his motives for the Exam."

"Would you mind my tagging along?" Ayano inquired. "I want to know as well. If you don't mind," She added hastily. Kurapika nodded once more, telling her she was welcome to do so. The duo ran to catch up with Leorio. As they came in step with him the man glared at the two.

Ignoring the hostility, Kurapika began to drill him about his goal for the Exam; Money.

"Leorio." The blond began. "Are you really trying to become a Hunter for the money?" They watched him turn away. "You are not, right?" Kurapika persisted. "We have only been together for a few days, but I know you better than that."

Ayano watched, spellbound. A few days? No wonder they were so close. It wasn't her being distant or new (though that was a contributing factor). They were well acquainted already. At once she decided that what they were involved in, she wanted it too. These four had a bright future, and she wanted to see what paths they took.

"Yes, you have a nasty attitude, and you are not very bright." The vein throbbed in Leorio's head and he shrieked. "But," Kurapika continued. "You are not a shallow person! I have seen many who live for money. You are nothing like them!"

Leorio made a tch sound. "You and your logic. . ." He grumbled, returning to his huffing and puffing. Kurapika was taken aback and glanced at Ayano. She didn't know what to say. It was obvious that Leorio was hiding something. If he wasn't going to share his reasons for taking the Exam, then the girl was going to help coax it from him.

Sometimes, the only way to help people open up is to share the pain inside of you.

The girl was about to speak when something about Kurapika stopped her. His grey eyes were flickering as he concluded something.

Let him talk. She thought.They're better friends, after all.

"Scarlet eyes. That's why the Kurta were targeted."

At these words, a heaviness descended on them. It was a tangible emotion that created anxiousness within her. Leorio seemed to be affected by it too. He gaped at Kurapika. Ayano stared at the blond in confusion. Kurta? Scarlet eyes? Targets?

Kurapika's voice grew monotonous as he continued, his grey eyes hardening with each syllable.

"We Kurta are known for our unique Scarlet Eyes. When our emotions are heightened, our eyes turned scarlet, as though on fire. The eyes of that scarlet state are considered one of the seven most beautiful colors in the world. They command high prices on the Black Market." Kurapika's voice lulled to a whisper, his lips twisting in a bitter frown.

His words left a morbid bruise on their minds. Hunted and chased for your eyes? Ayano had heard of such things, but she had never met someone associated with it. Leorio seemed humbled as well. "That's why The Phantom Troupe attacked you?" He asked.

Oh, dear.

It took everything in her not to spill over.

The Phantom Troupe.

"They took every single eye from my brethren's corpses," Kurapika stated without flinching. The blond then lowered his head. "I can still hear their darkened eyes crying out in anguish. . ." His voice grew so emotional that it wavered, and he clenched his fists. "I swear I will capture The Phantom Troupe." He vowed. "And I will reclaim the eyes of my clan." Dark intent crept into his own.

"That's why you want to be a Hunter. . ." Leorio pondered.

"Yes. if I become a Hunter with rich clients, I will gain access to Black Market information." Kurapika explained, his tone cold.

Leorio sighed, shaking his head. "But you'll have to swallow your pride and become the kind of Hunter you despise!"

Kurapika replied, his tone laced with steel. "The blow to my pride is nothing, measured against the suffering my clan endured." Leorio didn't respond to this, but his expression was troubled.

Ayano looked away from Kurapika, her eyes trained on the ground. Shame rose within her.

Another reason to hate Father and his trade deals, silly foolish girl. She scolded herself. A potential friend will now see you as a potential enemy if you open your mouth. There is no turning back from a tainted slate.

These boys and herself have just met, and already she has to lie.

Ayano heard Gon and Killua running behind them, but Leorio's next choice of words stopped her from turning. "Sorry, but I have no noble cause!" He said gruffly. Both Kurapika and Ayano frowned.

"Huh?" Kurapika said.

"I'm just after money!" Leorio tried to end the conversation.

"Do not lie." Snapped Kurapika, his gaze sharp.

"I'm not lying!"

"You really believe you can buy everything with money?"

"You bet!" Leorio shouted, anger obvious in his voice. "For the right price, you can buy not only treasures, but dreams, hearts, and even people's lives!"

Kurapika looked beside himself with fury. Ayano felt the same. Peoples lives? People weren't objects; they were living beings with emotions and dreams, not pawns to be pushed around. Kurapika stuttered. "Take that back, Leorio." He ordered. "If you are insulting the Kurta, I will not forgive you!"

"Why? I'm telling the truth." Leorio's voice grew weary. "If I'd had money, my friend wouldn't have died!" That sentence flipped the conversation on its head. Kurapika gasped softly. Leorio glared at the two of them and turned away, ignoring them completely.

Ayano heaved a shuddering breath. Why must Fate be this way? Surely they did not commit a crime to deserve these miseries.

Kurapika watched Leorio sullenly, grey eyes full of conflicting thoughts.

"An illness?" He finally asked. Ayano flinched and tried to stop herself from covering his mouth. What was he doing?

"I-it was a treatable disease. . ." Leorio's voice was no more than a murmur. "The problem was that the operation costs a fortune. I was naïve!" He raised his voice as he began to blame himself. "I thought I could become a doctor! I wanted to cure kids who have the same disease, and be able to tell them it was free of charge!"

Leorio then turned to them. "Then I could have told his parents, too. That was my dream. . ." Tears were coming to the man's eyes as he relived the pain of his childhood. "What a joke!" He scorned. "Turns out that to become a doctor, you need even more money!" He turned to look at them fiercely. "Got it? The world runs on money, so I. Want. Money!"

Kurapika stared. Then his gaze turned warm and sympathetic, before turning to share a look with Ayano. Who had known? Who could have known? To think she's thought of him as selfish and thoughtless when he had his world of suffering.

"See you at the goal, Ayano-chan! Kurapika!" Gon called to the duo. He had appeared suddenly along with Killua. The white-haired boy smirked up at Leorio. "Catch you later, old timer!" He jeered.

"I'm not OLD!" Leorio yelled, spit flying once more. "I'm a teenager just like you guys!"

The information hit everyone like a tonne of pounds.

"Huh?"

"No way!"

"What?!"

~*~

Gon, Killua, and Ayano were now far ahead. The steady rhyme of feet against stairs filled Ayano's head, and she unconsciously hummed along. The sound of Killua's wheels clacking in their bolts, the suitcase banging against Gon's back and the swishing of Ayano's trench coat against the floor created perfect opportunities to make a song.

"You know, I'm impressed that you guys can keep up with me," Killua stated.

"Really?" Gon asked. He giggled and rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly like it was a compliment. Killua shot him a weird look but decided to ignore it.

"Never judge books by their cover." Ayano hummed. Killua met her eyes and grinned.

Killua then sighed. "Or maybe it's just that everyone else is too slow." The sauciness in his voice was pretty legit. "Aw, The Hunter Exam is gonna be a breeze! That's no fun." He pouted and Ayano had the urge to squish his cheeks. What was with her today?

"Hey, why did you want to become a Hunter?" Gon asked suddenly. The girl stopped humming to listen.

Killua stopped pouting. "Me?" He asked. "I'm not really interested in becoming a Hunter." Both Gon and Ayano blinked vacantly.

"Eh?"

The boy's ocean blues were dancing. "I heard the Exam was supposed to be really hard so I thought it would be fun." He shrugged. "But this is disappointing. Well, what about you?" He nodded at Gon and Ayano.

Gon began as the Trio avoided bodies of tired people on the steps. "Well, my Dad's a Hunter. So I want to become a Hunter like my Dad." Killua and Ayano nodded.

"So what kind of Hunter is he?" Asked Killua.

"I don't know!" Gon replied cheerfully.

Killua gawked, then burst out laughing. "That's kinda weird!" He said. "Really? You want to be like your Dad, but you don't know anything about him?"

Gon shrugged. "I was raised by Mito-san, so I've only seen my Dad in pictures."

"Who's Mito-San?" Ayano spoke for the first time in a while.

Gon looked at her with glowing brown eyes. "Aunt Mito!" He said cheerfully.

"Oh," Killua said. He didn't seem to be impressed, but Ayano was. She didn't know if she had an Aunt. What was an Aunt anyways?

"When he was twelve, my Dad took the Hunter's Exam." Gon continued. "He passed and became a Hunter! Then he left the island." Gon let out a breathy laugh and shrugged. "I want to find out why he chose to be a Hunter over being with me!"

Both Killua and Ayano frowned at this. It was a queer thing to be searching for his Dad. If she were in Gon's position, Ayano wouldn't bother. Her own Father treated her unjustly. Why would she care?

Light from ahead cut through the darkness, landing on her face. It was dazzling to the eye and Ayano felt encouraged. "The exit!" Both Gon and Killua looked up and smiled. Everyone was relieved and began to cheer.

The Trio launched up the stairs. Darting in between Examinee's, dodging flailing arms and ducking under legs, the three children weaved towards the light. Exhilaration caused Gon, Ayano, and Killua to taunt each other as they jogged up the stairs.

"Almost there!" Gon crowed. Ayano darted past Killua, who whined a complaint. A couple more steps and-

"GOAL!" They burst into the open. Exhilaration spilled from their mouths as they avoided Satotz and landed in the sunshine, their hair tossing in the wind and eyes gleaming. Ayano felt lighter than she had in years. Since when had the sun felt so good? Since when had the wind felt so refreshing?

"Yeeeesss!! I win!" Gon cheered, waving his fist in the air.

"What are you talking about! I was faster!" Killua whined angrily.

"Pretty sure I beat both of you." Reasoned Ayano, her eyes glinting.

"I was!"

"No, I was first!"

"No, me!"

"I was first, so you have to buy me dinner!"

"No, I was totally first! So YOU buy dinner!"

"Guys guys, be courteous to the ladies. You both have to buy me dinner!"

"But I was fasteeeeer!"

Gon turned to the Examiner Satotz. "Hey, who crossed first?" He asked politely. Satotz cocked his head and stared at them curiously.

"I believe you crossed the finish line simultaneously." He answered in a matter-of-fact tone.

"I see. . ." Gon pouted at this. Then his eyes lit up. "Well then! I'll buy Killua dinner, Killua buys Ayano-chan dinner, and Ayano-chan buys me dinner!"

Ayano and Killua sweat-dropped. "I don't get it," The boy mumbled. She hummed in agreement.

Gon looked back at Satotz. "Hey, Satotz-san." He asked again. "Is this where the Second Phase takes place?"

The purple-haired man seemed overwhelmed by the Trio. "Eh, no." He said. "We still have quite a ways to go." Gon whined in frustration while the other two watched on, amused.

A little while passed. The majority of Examinee's had finished. The Trio sat by the entrance to wait for the other two they had left behind. While they did this, Ayano taught them a handshake, Gon taught them his special promise pinky and Killua did a few tricks on his skateboard.

Finally, the other two appeared; Leorio was sweating profusely and Kurapika left breathless with the run.

"Hey, Kurapika!" Gon called.

The blond looked over, panting. He waved at the Trio. "Ah. Is this our destination?"

"No, it isn't!" Gon replied cheerfully.

Kurapika sighed. "I see." Then he glanced around with keen eyes. "The fog is fading."

The group of five observed the mist seeping away into the ground. Ayano inhaled, letting the fog filter through her lungs. It reminded her of Un Valley in the season of Madainn ceò.

"Wow!" Gon shot up and stared about. Then he broke into a wide smile, breathy laughter coming from his lips. The mist was melting away to reveal a thick bushy forest. Shrubs and ground vegetation sprung around the tree trunks and the leafy tips were dark with moisture. Birds careened high in lazy circles, calling down to them. Ayano stood as well, peering into the forest. It was certainly thick, and it stretched for miles. The misty air was amazing to breathe and she gulped it down. Ayano loved the taste of morning mist on her tongue.

"The Numere Wetlands. Also known as Swindlers Swamp." Satotz informed the group before him. "We must cross these Wetlands to reach Phase Two of the Exam. This place is home to many bizarre animals, many of them cunning, insatiable creatures who deceive humans and prey upon them."

Ayano felt curiosity roll in her stomach at the mention of these dangers. This was going to be interesting. She had never been to a swamp before. Keen to get going, she tapped her foot impatiently. "Be careful!" Satotz told them all. "If you let them fool you, you're dead." At this, the door to the underground tunnel lowered shut, trapping the Applicants who failed inside.

"Harsh," Ayano said. Killua hummed in agreement.

"These wetland creatures will use every trick in the book to fool their prey." Satotz continued. Everyone stared blankly. "An ecosystem in which creatures obtain their food by deceit. Hence the name Swindlers Swamp!" Satotz turned to face the forest in front of them. "Stay very close to me so you won't be deceived."

A shuddering breath rippled through the crowd and everyone looked at each other darkly. The only one who wasn't taking it seriously was Leorio. He 'tch'ed and smirked. "What a joke." He sneered. "How can they fool us when we're expecting it?"

"DONT LET THEM FOOL YOU!" A terrified voice rose from the crowd.

Leorio rolled his eyes. "I just said that they couldn't." He grumbled.

The group of applicants turned to see a scruffy, beat up man crawl from a bush. "D-Don't fall for it. . ." He whimpered. The man's eyes bulged in his head. Everyone leaned away, uneasy. Who was this guy? The man pointed a finger at Satotz and yelled. "He's lying to you, he's an imposter!" He jabbed a finger in his chest. "He isn't an Examiner. I'm the Examiner!"

Leorio looked stumped. "An imposter? What's going on?" Everyone looked at each other in puzzlement. Ayano didn't believe it for a second. Satotz had been with them the entire time. It was obvious that he was an Examiner. Besides, he hadn't tried to eat the three of them earlier.

"Look at this!" The man cried. He tugged a corpse into the open and everyone reeled in alarm. It was a hairy monkey man, but it looked exactly like Satotz. It had the mustache, the purple hair, and the nose. The only difference was that it had a mouth. "He looks like Satotz-san!" Gon gasped.

"It's a man-faced ape, one of the creatures that dwell in Numere Wetlands!" The stranger explained. The name was carried through the crowd like ripples in a pond. Ayano felt anxious. It did look a lot like Satotz. But it couldn't be true.

"Man-faced apes love the taste of fresh human flesh. However, their limbs are long and they are quite weak!" The stranger continued. "That's why they disguise themselves as humans. They trick them into following them into these wetlands! There, they team up with the other animals to kill and devour them."

The stranger pointed a trembling finger at Satotz. "He intends to trap every single applicant!" He wailed.

Ayano was shocked at how quickly everyone turned on Satotz. Shouts of 'bastard' and 'freak' were heard from numerous people as the crowd took threatening steps towards him. She was sure that Un Valley Elders had taught something about this situation to her before...but her mind went blank in the heat of the moment.

Then she heard it. The familiar sound of playing cards being drawn. Before she could blink, six cards came whistling through the air. Three cards smashed into the stranger; one in his chest, one in his neck and the other in his head. The other three shot towards Satotz. He caught them deftly with his fingers like it was nothing but a nuisance.

The stranger fell with a thud. Ayano gaped at the corpse in surprise. The sound of cards being shuffled made her whip around. Sweat beaded her forehead as she spotted the clown; Hisoka Marrow.

A chuckle escaped his smirking lips. "I see, I see," He cooed. "That settles it." Hisoka opened his golden-clipped eyes and grinned. Ayano felt shudders down her spine at the familiar smile. "You're the real one~," He told Satotz. Everyone turned to Satotz in surprise, another gasp rippling through the crowd. They seemed completely dumbfounded and Ayano was tempted to facepalm.

Grown-ups could be so silly sometimes.

"Examiners are Hunters," Hisoka's smooth voice rose above the crowd. "Selected by the committee to perform this duty without pay. Any Hunter, bearing the title we seek, would have been able to block the attack." He finished, a purr enclosing each syllable.

Satotz dipped his head towards Hisoka in a formal gesture. "I shall take that as a compliment." He replied. "However, should you attack me again for any reason, I will report you for turning on an Examiner and you will immediately be disqualified." He cocked his head to the side. "Are we clear?"

Hisoka's smirk grew wider. "Sure~"

The crowd watched sullenly as large birds descended from the sky, devouring the corpse of the stranger. Leorio wrinkled his nose in disgust. "Nature really can be brutal to watch."

Kurapika nodded. "So he was a Man-faced ape as well." The blond concluded.

Satotz got their attention once more. "He was attempting to confuse the applicants to lure some of them away." He walked forward and spoke a little more, but Ayano wasn't paying attention.

"We cannot relax our guard!" Killua informed her and Gon. Both of them nodded.

"I believe that several of you were fooled into questioning my identity?" Satotz called over the crowd. Leorio rubbed the back of his head and cackled sheepishly, red tinting his cheeks. Another applicant that Ayano didn't recognize did the same. Satot turned around and stared hard at everyone. "Do you understand?" He told them. "If you lose sight of me in the Numere Wetland's fog, you will never reach the Exam's Second Phase. Do bear that in mind."

Silence greeted his words. Satotz nodded dutifully. "Then let us be on our way. Please follow me!" As the Applicants careened down the hill after Satotz, the Kakusean Teaching came back to Ayano. She jogged in between Kurapika and Killua while whispering the familiar words under her breath.

Humanity fears what they don't understand. What they don't understand becomes fear's tool. Humanity has destroyed itself many times by scorning their kind through fear. It is their greatest downfall.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.9K 196 20
In this story, The gang (including Y/n) go their separate ways to achieve their goals. When Y/n faces new challenges it always ends up in a horrible...
2K 158 14
Battle. Blood. Entertainment. That's all she had known. This was the reason she was born. Her destiny. She was told to fight, to kill, to hunt for th...
123K 3K 36
โ hola. soy dora. can you say: i'm fucking sorry? - y/n โž โŸถ ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ gon accidentally trips you and pushes you into a new life with ...
60.7K 1.5K 7
ใ€School! AUใ€‘ "If you're so popular, why are people afraid of you?" "It's just because. Who wouldn't be scared of someone who came from a long line of...